• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I always thought this was a joke...its real?

That was pure luck lol. Get your ass on tonight boi.

Beef pressured me into doing it! Shouta bribed me with a title if I won. If I lost, I would have gotten a title either way but it would have been worse... I'll be on tonight, just finishing up an essay.

424 Infiltration
272 Xian
258 Mago, Daigo
228 Poongko
168 Tokido
146 Justin Wong
132 Momochi
130 Dark Jiewa
128 Gamerbee, Nemo
108 Bonchan
76 Snake Eyez
72 Humanbomb, Kazunoko, Tonpy
68 KojiKOG
66 NuckleDu
64 sako, Fuudo, Luffy
35 Shiro
34 Ryan Hart, Chuan
32 Sabin, LPN, K Brad
24 Inco
20 801Strider, Dieminion
17 Pro Fluke
16 JehoSan, XiaoLong, Smug, Ricky, ChrisG

All the Americans need to go to Combo Breaker as it should be easy points with Stunfest being held on the same weekend.

6 more North American ranking events
8 more Asian ranking events (Last 1 might not award points)
6 more European ranking events

4 more Asian Prem. events (1 might not award points)
3 more European Prem. events (1 will not award points)
4 more NA Prem. events

Real talk, when CPT announced the 1mil prize pool everybody was like $$$ in their eyes, but... after looking at that list, I'm having a hard time picking out anybody who wouldn't have been there otherwise. I think the main thing that has changed is where certain players stand, as people (especially APAC players) have been travelling way more than before.

Real talk this week.

...or combinations of tools etc.
I like tech rolling, but that's it. I don't think you need anything more, but I'm not happy with less, either. In general, I don't like it when a game gives too much to a player that got a hit in. Okay, you hit me - now you get a free 50/50, or a series of 50/50s, too? I think that situations like these lead to the game being less enjoyable. One nice thing about Smash is that you get close to a neutral reset after being hit past certain %s. It makes the game feel more active than some others.

Zissou

Real talk this week.

kG5pxyP.jpg

...or combinations of tools etc.

I really like pushblock as a defensive mechanic (at least in games with otherwise very oppressive offense like marvel). It still requires you to block correctly, but you're rewarded for blocking correctly by gaining some breathing room. It doesn't get you OUT of the corner, but it gets you the space maybe do so, but it's nicely counterbalanced by a) it being punishable by doing things like staggering your attack strings and b) it being negated when the attacker correctly predicts your pushblock timing and dashes at the appropriate time to counteract your pushblock (sometimes guaranteeing the attacker a throw). It's a strong defensive mechanic but one which requires thought and participation by both the attacker and the defender.

pixelish

Real talk, when CPT announced the 1mil prize pool everybody was like $$$ in their eyes, but... after looking at that list, I'm having a hard time picking out anybody who wouldn't have been there otherwise. I think the main thing that has changed is where certain players stand, as people (especially APAC players) have been travelling way more than before.

i like how the american sf4 scene was like "oh my god, this will re-ignite the passion and hunger in the fgc again" when they first announced the huge prize pool but very few players are travelling around the country for the cpt points. not only that, there's still not one american player who has travelled outside the country to participate in a ($15k+ prize pool) premier event yet.

i like how the american sf4 scene was like "oh my god, this will re-ignite the passion and hunger in the fgc again" when they first announced the huge prize pool but very few players are travelling around the country for the cpt points. not only that, there's still not one american player who has travelled outside the country to participate in a ($15k+ prize pool) premier event yet.

1336052-2312288093_9f8f143d6a.jpg

ShinMaruku

When most events are in the US you should never expect the US sf scene to actually travel out the country. Most Americans period don't travel. Then they bitch about things. :p

xCobalt

There has only been one premier event outside the US and it was on the same weekend as NCR. Which event do you think makes more sense to go to?

pixelish

not sure what you're trying to say with that pic lol

There has only been one premier event outside the US and it was on the same weekend as NCR. Which event do you think makes more sense to go to?
yeah i realised that once i made that post but what i'm trying to say is that they're not taking as much initative as the asian players. no one in the us has said that they're planning to go to stunfest or sea major but we have a huge list of asian players attending both events.

petghost

Banned
UFGT always had awesome Vsav turnouts iirc. i hope buncha people show up this year. happy skullgirls got a lot of entrants too.

sikvod00

Banned
A game where ICs suck > A game where they're the second-best character. It's sad how chaingrab oriented they are given how kickass the character design is otherwise.
Hmm. I think I understand. Sounds similar to the Sim in SF. People would much prefer him to make the character shitty than a top or even high tier.

xCobalt

not sure what you're trying to say with that pic lol

yeah i realised that once i made that post but what i'm trying to say is that they're not taking as much initative as the asian players. no one in the us has said that they're planning to go to stunfest or sea major but we have a huge list of asian players attending both events.

I agree to an extent but the number of top players in asia vs USA isn't even close. There's probably only four people in the US I can think of that can compete with all the killers from South East Asia. It also comes down to sponsors. The only prominent US sponsor is EG whereas SEA players have more resourceful sponsors like Mad Catz, Razer and even r/kappa

I do wonder if team Madcatz will take part in the Madcatz prem. event when there is no prize money and they will most likely have enough points to get a good seed seeing as they are attending all the prem. events with money. Same with Kazunoko, Bonchan, Momochi, etc... They're pretty much just gate keeping at this point.

Those guys will have more than enough points to get in even without the auto qual spot.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
mkx's "chance to win" metric is really funny but I won't pretend it doesn't feeling great winning when I "have 0% chance"

galvatron

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWWv6XwEg0
This is pretty nostalgic to see as well.

Holy shit, I'm pretty sure I played the blonde guy sitting and giving a shoutout in this vid maybe a year prior to this in 3s in Cambridge, MA.
I remember him being really good for that time frame and kinda having a freakout when I beat him in what I think was a Ken mirror (not sure if I was playing Ken or Hugo...could have been either back then).

While he was waiting off to the side to get next again he kept mumbling to himself and slapping himself in the face hard enough to be disturbing,
but not quite hard enough to think I needed to get him some help...He also used to bring up some Capcom IRC channel the couple of times I ran into him.

It all makes a bit more sense now...

Jazz-ism

Banned
They stole pictures of pandas kid.... o_O

this incident and the markman incident were clearly targeted. As communities grow, so too does the amount of niggas that need their ass beat plain amd simple.

Glad to see the good ppl picking up the slack with recovery donations

It's important to note that this isn't exclusive to the US community. Something of kyameis was stolen at ksb as well (which is rare in jp)

Thores

Divekick Windjammers inspired game coming?

CEwuTa9UEAEbL4B.jpg

New Windjammers game that I can actually play is a really exciting prospect; the apparent return of the Divekick cast is far less exciting.

I loved DK's concept and mission statement, but the "it's funny because it's racist!" and/or "it's funny because we're referencing how racist the FGC is!" style of humor was nooooot a good look. I'm not really the easily offended type, but the aesthetic/writing choices DK made had me too uncomfortable to keep playing.

This is especially confusing after KI S2. I know that Iron Galaxy is capable of designing incredibly interesting and visually/conceptually appealing characters, so why is Mr. N still a thing?

crash-14

Let's be real. Even without that scenario, no US player would have gone... The prove it's that there aren't any news about an american planning to attend Stunfest.

US players should focus to travel Europe, but I think it'll be more intelligent to focus on the ranking events. Premiers are gonna be stick with Asian killers, but i don't spect them to travel to the rankings if they don't get fund. In that scenario US players just have to facea few european players that really can compare to the Asian level (Also i think that at the momento, they're stronger than most of the US top players). We're talking about Luffy, Ryan Hart, Valmaster and maybe Gagapa in that level. Of course there's people like Problem X, ISDDD, Fluke, Andreas, Cuongster, Alioune, Will2Pac, Phenom, etc. but I don't think that they're much better than Strider, Tampa Bison or Chris G (Just pointing some examples).
Also Europe players don't use to travel to other countrys if it's not a major. And even in that case some are missed (Just check Hypespotting from the list I gave above).
Not easy to win, but probably big chances to reach a top 4 an battle (If Asians don't attend).

In the other hand. If I was an american top player, I'll be saving money for travel to Brazil Game Show. With all the respect to Brazilian players. I think it's the best event outside NA, with or without asians participating. Don't think there's going to be many of them also. I'm concerned about the capcom money, but trip it's pretty expensive compared to other destinations.

Astarte

What the hell's up with the thefts? Spooky constantly getting his stuff nabbed, Markman getting his car broken into and now this.

xCobalt

Let's be real. Even without that scenario, no US player would have gone... The prove it's that there aren't any news about an american planning to attend Stunfest.

US players should focus to travel Europe, but I think it'll be more intelligent to focus on the ranking events.

Combo Breaker is on the same weekend as Stunfest. Although Combo Breaker is a ranking event, it's a similar scenario - there's little incentive to travel when there is an event within the country with fewer top players. I also think its smarter to attend the ranking events. It's a bit early but I believe by the time Capcom Cup rolls around, the 32nd seed will have less than 128 points.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more americans traveling as the tour winds down and they're only a few dozen points from qualifying.

Top Bottom