• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

Clawww

If you're playing mostly optimally or are safely winning this is usually the best mind game.

yeah

I also think abusing your opponent can be beneficial. it's obnoxiously effective against someone that's tilted about losing, and sort of dickish, but like, if someone's ahead by 90% and spamming unsafe...it's a call to action. snap out of the butthurt and punish the sloppy stuff, at least.

Dahbomb

If you're playing mostly optimally or are safely winning this is usually the best mind game.

That's competitive and serious play with people expecting no holds btw, don't do this against weaker people in friendly casuals to get your rocks off.
Aka the FChamp plays.

Dude won EVO with mind games and scummy meta tactics. And I hella respect the hustle.

Heck the amount of amazing tier characters Koei has in their Warriors games to put in a vs fighter is mind boggling. Top ones I can think of.

Gracia and Aya with that 8 second full invincibility EX move during which they can still build meter~

Nu wa with the great hitboxes and an invincible super that builds enough meter for another invincible super~

More realistically though, i'd bet Wang Yuanji would be a lock. She super popular and her knives would make for a really fun character. I'd want to play her or Daqiao (giant fireball!).

ShinMaruku

Lu Bu would be so broken with armor and damage lol. The ones that'd scare me would be Nemea, Hundun, and Xu Shu. Resets for daaaaaaays.

Heck the amount of amazing tier characters Koei has in their Warriors games to put in a vs fighter is mind boggling. Top ones I can think of.

• Jia Chong- thrown axes could be far scarier than Ouroboros IMO
  • Zhao Yun-Pressure character with the range of a spear...Vergil 2.0
  • Fa Zheng- he throws a magic carpet out for his attacks and has stun states. Basically HUGE hitbox traps and insane meter build with stuns. Guy would be crazy for damage and finishing big.
  • Kunoichi-Wolverine meets ...every thing lol.
  • Yoshitsune Minamoto- laser sword that gets bigger and does more damage every time he lands a command grab that dashes forward? Plus he has Zero's buster. Oh hell yes, why isn't he already a character?
  • Nezha- placing large multihit waves of energy on the screen that draw folks in while possessing the highest speed and dash range plus thrown ring weapons and multiple launchers. All around crazy fun.
YES YES!
This would be awesome.
So awesome.

That's competitive and serious play with people expecting no holds btw, don't do this against weaker people in friendly casuals to get your rocks off.
I'm in troll mode almost 100% of the time. It's how I convince so many people to do money matches with me.
Viable tactic in my opinion.

Anne

Aka the FChamp plays.

Dude won EVO with mind games and scummy meta tactics. And I hella respect the hustle.

Not even that bad haha. I don't T bag people, but in SF4 I do taunt timed set ups or like 10+ second long Sakura combos that exist more or less just to put people on tilt. In Persona there are times with Aigis where I'm so far ahead I'll reset after mix ups hit or do overkill OMB neta combos or confirms to kill, just to prove I can do it and to put people on tilt thinking I'm willing to do these things.

Usually they get flustered and try to rush in to get me back and they mess up. I try not to be a huge asshole, but flexing on people has advantages.

if it makes someone salty and more likely to lose, it's the right option, especially if it's a whole set. use the spare HP to gamble on whether you'll get punished or throw someone off mentally. this can bite you in the ass if they get more motivated, though.

Pros/Cons and stuff. I said usually cause it works on most people, but people with good nerves won't give a fuck and you might have given away something or set yourself up for a fold. These are the fun parts of fighting games.

But there's no honor in that!

Tell that to the trophy.

Also people might call me out for how I am about being nice to others, but in game I'm of the opinion anything goes until you're holding up my tournament. Just shake hands when it's over.

Clawww

if it makes someone salty and more likely to lose, it's the right option, especially if it's a whole set. use the spare HP to gamble on whether you'll get punished or throw someone off mentally. this can bite you in the ass if they get more motivated, though.

shaowebb

YES YES!
This would be awesome.
So awesome.

It would also be more broken than Sengoku Basara X or Hokuto No Ken combined lol. Actually thats a bit of an overstatement . Under Night in Birth has absolutely insane reaching normals and its fine. Its all in what tools you balance them with and how big the dashes/stage size limits are. To do Koei in a fighter it would need VERY long range back dashing and large stages to run in. I'd also have to say an airdash would need to be universal or close to universal to give people an escape vs some of the ranges possible with Musou style huge weapons.

All I know is I'd play it :)

EDIT: and just to put it out there if I ever was so blessed as to find my own game released and popular enough that people would want more fighting games from me then there is one thing I'd do. I would straight up tell some folks I would make them a game for free just for the opportunity as a fan to work with their licenses. So long as they would help me setup a sound team for it, I could handle the rest with Q. If they wanted a physical disc release that'd also be on them.

Licenses I would make a fighter for free for:
DC
Marvel
Koei
Nintendo
Sega
Toei

Going back to the discussion from yesterday, I wonder if the "perception gap" between fighting game noobs and more experienced players is literally a perception gap. Beginners aren't able to see the frame trap situation, they aren't able to see the minus on block move that they could have taken advantage of, they aren't able to see that they've lost the footsies game. All they see is the ensuing combo afterwards and go, "well of course I lost, I'm not able to do those one frame link strings".

Going back to the discussion from yesterday, I wonder if the "perception gap" between fighting game noobs and more experienced players is literally a perception gap.
Nope.

The timing and input requirements in fighting games strictly dictate that the player who spent more time pressing buttons and practising is probably going to be better.

That's not even accounting for match up knowledge and experience.

Edit: like even basic understanding isn't helpful because situation are so strict in inputs and timing. It's helpful for knowing where to start and what to learn. To actually play you still need the muscle memory and practised reactions.

Azure J

Nintendo vs Capcom or just Capcom vs Capcom needs to happen. The later seems so safe and a no brainier for Capcom but I don't have them numbers in front of me so its hard for me to say as just a consumer. The know fact that Capcom suits are idiots doesn't help things either though.

GAF in general has been talking up a Nintendo v Capcom and I won't lie, I kinda got bit by the bug even if I should know better. :lol

My only hope is that if something like this (ever) happens, they play it straight and make it a traditional 2D tag fighter to contrast against Smash and not some wacky hybrid game because "Nintendo™"/Nintendo audience.

GAF in general has been talking up a Nintendo v Capcom and I won't lie, I kinda got bit by the bug even if I should know better. :lol

My only hope is that if something like this (ever) happens, they play it straight and make it a traditional 2D tag fighter to contrast against Smash and not some wacky hybrid game because "Nintendo™"/Nintendo audience.

They should make a powerstone clone

Capcom doesn't need to partner with anyone to stick Lu Bu in a game, so they should just do it.

He should be in a tag team game so he can sacrifice his own partners to get stronger, though.

Nope.

The timing and input requirements in fighting games strictly dictate that the player who spent more time pressing buttons and practising is probably going to be better.

That's not even accounting for match up knowledge and experience.

Edit: like even basic understanding isn't helpful because situation are so strict in inputs and timing. It's helpful for knowing where to start and what to learn. To actually play you still need the muscle memory and practised reactions.

I'm not talking about measuring skill and increasing prowess (I'm not sure what the point of your post is tbh), but about the eternal argument where some beginner is like "I'm never going to be good at fighting games cause I can't pull of that 8341 hit combo with pretzel motions" and the common retort of "you should work on your fundamentals before worrying about execution"

What brings this up
My personal salt and not being able to deal with rush down. It's just really shitty when you are new to a game or a match up and have no idea when you can press a button or do anything. Sometimes game mechanics also make things even more obtuse and difficult than that.

Crocodile

They should make a powerstone clone

What are everybody's thoughts on Power Stone? The FG of choice for me & friends on the Dreamcast was Soul Calibur so I have very little playtime/experience/nostalgia for Power Stone. Is that a game, or something similar, a lot of people would want more of?

What are everybody's thoughts on Power Stone? The FG of choice for me & friends on the Dreamcast was Soul Calibur so I have very little playtime/experience/nostalgia for Power Stone. Is that a game, or something similar, a lot of people would want more of?
I would fucking love either a new Power Stone or a remaster of PS Collection with netplay.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What games are being played at Toryuken other than smash 4? No twitch streams and OP has no mention of the event for Saturday?
It does though?

It doesn't mention the event runs through Sunday because GBs damn spotlight literally maxed the character count otherwise

I'm not talking about measuring skill and increasing prowess (I'm not sure what the point of your post is tbh), but about the eternal argument where some beginner is like "I'm never going to be good at fighting games cause I can't pull of that 8341 hit combo with pretzel motions" and the common retort of "you should work on your fundamentals before worrying about execution"
I guess that's because I didn't understand your point. New players are right when they say that games are hard, because they are. If there is a problem with them not being able to articulate why they are hard, then yes it's a difference in perception but a sudden change in perspective won't make things any easier for them.

I guess that's because I didn't understand your point. New players are right when they say that games are hard, because they are. If there is a problem with them not being able to articulate why they are hard, then yes it's a difference in perception but a sudden change in perspective won't make things any easier for them.

I don't think it's a problem of articulation, they just straight up don't understand why they are bad due to the perception gap. You could probably set a watch by the frequency of threads made by people who are like "help I am bad at fighting games", FGW peeps giving them legit helpful advice, and them still going "well I couldn't do any of that combo shit fighting games aren't for me". This is regardless of how much actual time they've sunk into trying to git gud at fighting games.

FGW peeps giving them legit helpful advice, and them still going "well I couldn't do any of that combo shit fighting games aren't for me". This is regardless of how much actual time they've sunk into trying to git gud at fighting games.
That just means they didn't sink enough time into the game.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It means they haven't sunk time in on the right areas I think.

That's equally as important

Learning by yourself is really difficult. Being under someone's tutelage is usually the best way to go about it if you have zero experience with fighting games and the meta behind them. That person can help identify areas you are weak in and help you see what you're doing inefficiently and help you grow in that area. I know that's how I went from booty cheeks to average in Marvel, plus a lot of time playing the game lol

In every area. As someone pointed out in the thread some people here mock is that these games demand a good grasp of every aspect otherwise that leaves fatal flaws that can be exploited.

I think there's an unhealthy feedback loop here also. Players go in thinking they need to get good at combos to be successful at fighting games, and what single-player options do they offer? Combo challenges. Typically not even practical trials, either.

mbpm1

In every area. As someone pointed out in the thread some people here mock is that these games demand a good grasp of every aspect otherwise that leaves fatal flaws that can be exploited.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Isn't that every game? People will always have weak points.

Anne

I mean, if you run into people who will hit you for that sure. Otherwise it's about walk before you run and play other not monster players until you develop some stuff. It's more of an expectation than anything.

I think people just have different expectations for what's presented to them.

I think there's an unhealthy feedback loop here also. Players go in thinking they need to get good at combos to be successful at fighting games, and what single-player options do they offer? Combo challenges. Typically not even practical trials, either.

Dem expectations.

Top Bottom