• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

mbpm1

You know, between lurking Splatoon threads for the better part of my near two week ban and seeing this discussion here, I have a feeling that there exists a problem of both perception and projection when it comes to young girl characters in games.

Not just in games.

You know, between lurking Splatoon threads for the better part of my near two week ban and seeing this discussion here, I have a feeling that there exists a problem of both perception and projection when it comes to young girl characters in games.

what was the splatoon shit? aren't they squid...or did somebody o...god

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
well that was a read. i usually stray away from talks like these cause there is usually no justification cause of how weird the fanbase is.

Rhapsody

Banned

iirc, someone complained about some of the fanart and posted one with the character in a school uniform by the guy of Ika Musume. It wasn't even a suggestive one at all. It's just GAF being GAF by jumping the gun.

Crocodile

I see what you are trying to say but I disagree. Take out "entire point". It does play a large reason but not the sole reason. But I feel that people are just equating loli = perverted and its a bit silly. Nobody is going to call madoka a perverted show.

LOL yeah they have/will and they will do so without having seen a second of it. Don't underestimate people :p

Yeah I've gotten that sense too. There is truth in the "where there's smoke there is fire" saying but show some people a picture of some sticks (and nothing more) and they will yell there is a blazing, out of control inferno in front of them LOL

There was one guy going on and on how the Inklings looked like serial killers. It was surreal O_O

Also what Rhapsody said too

NEO0MJ

are you talking about the one with her beach balls front and center?

Yeah. Shit is fucking ridiculous
You're into Prison School.

giphy.gif

What?

Tell me that's not true, Yams!

Busaiku

dude, prison school is a work of art! plus, what's wrong with prison school?
I have no issue with it, but you said this...
i usually stray away from talks like these cause there is usually no justification cause of how weird the fanbase is.
...when Prison School's like super lewd.
Prison School? Was that the anime where the girl's boobs dodged bullets or something
High School of the Dead

Crocodile

Nah I'm going to back up Yams here (and Shouta will agree when he's done yelling at us for being off topic) but Prison School is legit good.

So um........Fighting Games! Anyone expecting anything out of E3? Some real SFV info perhaps? Is it too soon to be thinking about Tekken 7 console release plans?

Anne

A lot of people will see the Japanese young girl archetype and jump the gun, but this is Blazblue. The game has every female character sexualized in some way(sprite, splash art, gallery mode, etc), Relius Astral, Amane is the gay man chasing little boys archetype, Kagura is all super not okay, and so on. Every time they cut a promo you have to go wow at all the sexy fanservice that happens. Plat has fallen victim to this, the hug pillow was /bad/, and she still gets off better than the old Rachel promos.

I remember the first time I watched a Blazblue CS stream in NA, they went into the gallery mode during stream down time and put up an image of Plat and Rachel almost naked on top of each other that was in the game. The community doesn't help the problem.

Again I don't like any of these things and I don't touch story mode or any of that bullshit, I just think the game is awesome in the fighting game department and I love other stuff about it so I still play it. I'd rather at least say "that's not okay" and power through it than try to justify it lol

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I have no issue with it, but you said this...

...when Prison School's like super lewd.

I mentioned that with the whole trinity platinum shit for blazblue and how people were specifically talking about sexualization of characters in the young age range.

Nah I'm going to back up Yams here (and Shouta will agree when he's done yelling at us for being off topic) but Prison School is legit good.

So um........Fighting Games! Anyone expecting anything out of E3? Some real SFV info perhaps? Is it too soon to be thinking about Tekken 7 console release plans?

Crocodile ;_;7

I expect SFV to be at E3 with a new character, probably not Bison since its on a Monday.

Azure J

I kinda want to be surprised with something new in the Vs. fighter mold. I have Smash and Guilty is on deck, but I guess I'm starting to have pangs for some more Capcom characters, specifically more Dante/Strider teams. :p

A lot of people will see the Japanese young girl archetype and jump the gun, but this is Blazblue. The game has every female character sexualized in some way(sprite, splash art, gallery mode, etc), Relius Astral, Amane is the gay man chasing little boys archetype, Kagura is all super not okay, and so on. Every time they cut a promo you have to go wow at all the sexy fanservice that happens. Plat has fallen victim to this, the hug pillow was /bad/, and she still gets off better than the old Rachel promos.

I remember the first time I watched a Blazblue CS stream in NA, they went into the gallery mode during stream down time and put up an image of Plat and Rachel almost naked on top of each other that was in the game. The community doesn't help the problem.

Again I don't like any of these things and I don't touch story mode or any of that bullshit, I just think the game is awesome in the fighting game department and I love other stuff about it so I still play it. I'd rather at least say "that's not okay" and power through it than try to justify it lol

you have to explain the kagura being not super okay. I think I understand relius. No idea on amane

ShinMaruku

QMrrqLs.png

She's there to mock the stereotype and its fans. Heck the first thing she says when woken up by Kokonoe in her bad ending is "What the fuck" and then she proceeds to threaten Kokonoe's life, call her retarded and then claim that she's a pervert out to do crazy H-game stuff to her. She does that a lot...yelled it at Ragna too.

Like I said. She's a tongue in cheek jab at the genre, it's tropes and especially its fans. I will give you this...the game has a lot of fanservice through out it. I just don't see Platinum the Trinity as one of the examples of "pervy" things in the game. She was a bait and switch to mock those wanting a true magical girl to fawn over.
I find the all of the incest in Blazblu what is really creepy not platnium. I love her inversion of the trope. But BB does have ratchet Kokonoe and Makoto however.

Crocodile

I kinda want to be surprised with something new in the Vs. fighter mold. I have Smash and Guilty is on deck, but I guess I'm starting to have pangs for some more Capcom characters, specifically more Dante/Strider teams. :p

Nintendo vs Capcom or just Capcom vs Capcom needs to happen. The later seems so safe and a no brainier for Capcom but I don't have them numbers in front of me so its hard for me to say as just a consumer. The know fact that Capcom suits are idiots doesn't help things either though.

Anne

you have to expplain the kagura being not super okay. I think I understand relius. No idea on amane

Kagura's entire character is the overbearing pervert/molestor thing, and in Blazblue fashion they take it to ridiculous degrees with him throwing women around and catching them (or dropping them when he loses).

The archetype is really annoying as is, but he analyzes the girls before every fight for their bodies, and when he knocks out certain ones he says things like "now's my chance" and etc. His character in the universe outside of it doesn't get any more appealing.

anyone watching mix up night? Lets talk about fighting games pls.
mjcry1.png

Waiting on Blazblue to start back up and cleaning some. I'm having people come to my place to play which is super rare since I live a tiny bit out of the way of Nashville.

Kagura is a playboy in his free time, though in story mode he drops that.
He has the hots for Noel BAD

Kagura's entire character is the overbearing pervert/molestor thing, and in Blazblue fashion they take it to ridiculous degrees with him throwing women around and catching them (or dropping them when he loses).

The archetype is really annoying as is, but he analyzes the girls before every fight for their bodies, and when he knocks out certain ones he says things like "now's my chance" and etc. His character in the universe outside of it doesn't get any more appealing.

hm okay.

Never really played BB or watched it to know these things. Hell, didn't even know that amane was the gay pedo trope lol

zlatko

Banned
What games are being played at Toryuken other than smash 4? No twitch streams and OP has no mention of the event for Saturday?

I wish fighting games were just about the better players winning and not just the better player making the other person miserable and then winning.

vocab

I wish fighting games were just about the better players winning and not just the better player making the other person miserable and then winning.

That seems to be a north america thing. Make your opponent look bad, even in casuals. Even when the other person is just trying new stuff out.

Dahbomb

In every single online game, the better player/team makes it a point to make it miserable for the other player/team. Even in Hearthstone the winner trolls you with overkill, unnecessary plays or ropes you in order to make you concede.

People have a need to cement their superiority by whatever means necessary. And it's a culture that is in a vicious cycle because when that shit happens to you, you want to do it to someone else just so someone else can feel what you felt.

Crocodile

In every single online game, the better player/team makes it a point to make it miserable for the other player/team. Even in Hearthstone the winner trolls you with overkill, unnecessary plays or ropes you in order to make you concede.

People have a need to cement their superiority by whatever means necessary. And it's a culture that is in a vicious cycle because when that shit happens to you, you want to do it to someone else just so someone else can feel what you felt.

So basically hazing :p

Dahbomb

That seems to be a north america thing. Make your opponent look bad, even in casuals. Even when the other person is just trying new stuff out.
No this is a human being thing. Shit happens in Europe, South America, Russia, South Asia, Middle East, Southeast Asia etc.

I dunno, in casuals it's kind of easier to deal with the emotional impact of losing because you can just keep playing. But holding that L and dwelling on it without any distractions is extremely bad for ones wellbeing.

Anne

If you're playing mostly optimally or are safely winning this is usually the best mind game.

That's competitive and serious play with people expecting no holds btw, don't do this against weaker people in friendly casuals to get your rocks off.

shaowebb

Capcom vs Koei. Akuma vs Lu Bu and Dante vs Ryu Hayabusa. GO!

Lu Bu would be so broken with armor and damage lol. The ones that'd scare me would be Nemea, Hundun, and Xu Shu. Resets for daaaaaaays.

Heck the amount of amazing tier characters Koei has in their Warriors games to put in a vs fighter is mind boggling. Top ones I can think of.

• Jia Chong- thrown axes could be far scarier than Ouroboros IMO
  • Zhao Yun-Pressure character with the range of a spear...Vergil 2.0
  • Fa Zheng- he throws a magic carpet out for his attacks and has stun states. Basically HUGE hitbox traps and insane meter build with stuns. Guy would be crazy for damage and finishing big.
  • Kunoichi-Wolverine meets ...every thing lol.
  • Yoshitsune Minamoto- laser sword that gets bigger and does more damage every time he lands a command grab that dashes forward? Plus he has Zero's buster. Oh hell yes, why isn't he already a character?
  • Nezha- placing large multihit waves of energy on the screen that draw folks in while possessing the highest speed and dash range plus thrown ring weapons and multiple launchers. All around crazy fun.

Top Bottom