• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

Baleoce

Can't stand that I'm missing so many tournaments. Home broadband still not sorted :/ this is going back since final round now.

OceanBlue

The trip to NWM really opened his eyes to going overseas apparently. He really seemed to enjoy his time and everyone was really nice to him so it helped a lot. I think he might have posted more detailed thoughts on his new twitter but I haven't really checked.

From what KOG and Dogura said, they had a lot of fun too. Dogura said it was fun enough that he'd come back next year on his own dime. If I recall correctly, KOG said he had more fun at this tournament than at Evo as well. Dogura said that this would be a better choice for a first time overseas especially since there were Japanese speakers helping out to make it smooth for them.

So overall, it was a pretty big success this year on that front.

Somewhat related to this...

ほーちゃん | Ho-chan
@hc0519

EVOの旅のしおり作りました(一部これから制作予定)。これから準備する方、初EVOの方はぜひ見てもらえればと思います。Special Thanks: @tai_tsu @dwomy @abegen21

niceburst.com/evo
#EVO2015
Looks like Ho-chan, Taitsu, Domi, and Abegen are making a guide for newcomers who want to go to Evo. It's really neat how more Japanese every year are embracing the idea of coming to the US for Evo.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
For those unaware, sega donated these to Toryuken prize payout:

HBm6VVh.jpg

I'm coming for your loot toronto

CSX

This is very concerning, what's wrong with her in T7. :(

The usual stuff. Just about everything she does can be sidestepped. Her db4 low sweep kick has reverted back to T6 where it's slow but leads to full launcher. Experienced players have the reaction to block that and punish with launcher just about everytime.

Her new move that japanese and korean players are using for oki is that she has the infinite twirling like with Asuka.

El Sloth

Banned
Won't be able to make it to the UNIEL lobby tonight, sorry guys. Mother's Day and all that.

they dedicate real time to teaching new players (rank limit tournaments are actually amazing)
What are rank limit tournaments?

Also I felt like Bum was trying to do the same thing FChamp was with the FGTV house. And I think he suceeded in some aspects, like in helping provide a space for newer marvel players to improve side by side to some vets. I also feel like it never, for whatever reason, got to the same level that the FGTV house did though. Wish there was something like that for anime here in Queens.

Players have ranks/win rates in arcades because Nesica. So you can just limit player entry based on that?

I mean it's not that hey "ranked is a perfect indication of skill" but its should at least even out the skill level for all the people entering. That way you have motivation for lower skilled player to enter so that they can feel like they can win the tournament and don't have to deal with top players doing any gate keeping.

Seems like a natural social selection mechanism where you have lower skilled players placed an upper limit to the "skill" of the opponents they face so that they can still play and have fun. Japanese players do that with EXVS netplay by putting cutoff points at like 40% 50% 60% win rate.

there are other issues at play that make japan better than america that really america can't deal with such as concentration of players/netcode/and ease of travel.

there are other issues at play that make japan better than america that really america can't deal with such as concentration of players/netcode/and ease of travel.

Yeah but that's the usual complaining about the problems you can't fix while ignoring the ones you can.

Although yeah stuff like Rank Limit tourneys require a sizeable enough player base to make that viable.

OceanBlue

Yeah but that's the usual complaining about the problems you can't fix while ignoring the ones you can.

Although yeah stuff like Rank Limit tourneys require a sizeable enough player base to make that viable.

There's no objective way to measure player skill which would make Rank Limit tournaments difficult. You could do it online though, especially in SF4 which still has a good amount of online players. Although lobbies not contributing to rank in SF4 online does make it a bit different lol.

I think the point though is that you connect lower-level players to resources that allow for personalized mentoring outside of a forum and distribute information on a game.

Tripon

Random musing:

I hope SNK gets around to putting KoF 11 on steam one day. Underrated fighter compared to how heavy KoF 98, 02, and XIII dominates KoF competitively play.

Kumubou

Won't be able to make it to the UNIEL lobby tonight, sorry guys. Mother's Day and all that.

Derp, I forgot that today was Mother's Day... don't tell my mom. D:

For anyone else wondering, I'll he hosting a UNIEL lobby at at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT, and anyone is welcome to join. Just bug me on PSN (RottenSashimi) for an invite.

Anne

Tournaments where players above a certain arcade rank (Dan, PSR, BP, etc) aren't allowed to enter. It makes so the new players get to compete in a tournament where they won't get blown out immediately and can match up against similar skill levels. The thing that makes it awesome is high level players will usually show up anyways (sometimes they're the hosts) and will coach and help people out who entered.

A newbie tournament day will sometimes look like the arcade opens and players show up, they'll have a rank limit tournament scheduled early, and the open tournament scheduled after. The better players will be around anyways before the open tournament and will help sometimes, and the new players can decide if they want to enter the open tournament after anyways.

Tournaments where players above a certain arcade rank (Dan, PSR, BP, etc) aren't allowed to enter. It makes so the new players get to compete in a tournament where they won't get blown out immediately and can match up against similar skill levels. The thing that makes it awesome is high level players will usually show up anyways (sometimes they're the hosts) and will coach and help people out who entered.

Love this idea.

Honestly though FGC gaf I'm kinda depressed with my fighting game performance and progress lately. Feel like I hit the wall in all the games I like, and I'm hitting it sooner in new games than I should. The wall being personal interest in the games and my level of play. Got a ton of games and barely play them, a few matches every few weeks when before it was like hours of matches a day. Street Fighter got uninteresting for me, no Tekken scene here, Marvel is an execution and character diversity crapshoot, Blazblue/Guilty/P4A are interesting until I play against a human player and realize I have 0 clue what they are doing.

Maybe I just need a break or something but looking at my shelf of games and just feel like getting rid of all of them, and I'm one of those "never sells their stuff" people.

Tripon

Smash has something similar with Arcadian tournaments where players who are ever ranked in a region are banned from entering the tournament.

Zissou

Love this idea.

Honestly though FGC gaf I'm kinda depressed with my fighting game performance and progress lately. Feel like I hit the wall in all the games I like, and I'm hitting it sooner in new games than I should. The wall being personal interest in the games and my level of play. Got a ton of games and barely play them, a few matches every few weeks when before it was like hours of matches a day. Street Fighter got uninteresting for me, no Tekken scene here, Marvel is an execution and character diversity crapshoot, Blazblue/Guilty/P4A are interesting until I play against a human player and realize I have 0 clue what they are doing.

Maybe I just need a break or something but looking at my shelf of games and just feel like getting rid of all of them, and I'm one of those "never sells their stuff" people.

Pick a game and focus on it.

Sheroking

Jwong spends too much time in ranked and not enough in training mode.

He shouldn't be using Rufus against Poison or Sakura.

human bomb's better

There are a few Sakura's who are better with the character, but all of those guys are inferior players to ChrisG in general and get shittier tournament results because of it. Those reads.

Sheroking

humanbomb got top 8 at evo with sak. tell me what chris has done

"Flashmetroid got top-8 at Evo with Zangief, tell me what has Itabashi done?"

Chris has actually won major-ish tournaments. He got into Capcom Cup a couple years back by winning a qualifier. Countless top-8's, including today. He's the smartest and most talented player playing this character by a margin. Probably top-2 in the country in that respect.

It's why he wins so much in a bunch of different games.

Top Bottom