• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Infinite

I like custom moves a lot in Smash 4 but a lot of them boils down to similar arc types between the characters. I wish like for Mario for example that they dug into his history of power ups from his games and gave him those instead of giving him a fast weak fire ball and a slow strong fireball.

Marz

I wonder why that is (I certainly do like her movement in this). Pacman's not too bad either I hear, according to Japan.

Her movement is just as good as ever but now she's built more for the game it feels like.

She has a good vertical KO move in uair, which is very good in a game like this where the horizontal blastzones are the way they are vertical kill power is better.

Combos are somewhat in so she runs her gameplan better.

Ftilt is still amazing.

New scrubby ledge mechanics make her recovery good for the first time in her history while also making her offstage edge guarding carry minimal risks.

Is what I've gathered.

Yea and PAC Man looks dope. I got my hands in the full game yesterday and I was very impressed with Greninja as well.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't get it. I mean even if MKX wasn't as good as MK9 I would still want to move on. It's fresh new challenges, new rivalries, there's nothing to gain from playing MK9 anymore from a competitive standpoint. They must be crazy.

MKX will be better than MK9. Pre-order your copy today!

Melee offers something that's not really found in any of the sequels. Even if it's an iteration in a franchise, it feels unique and different.

With the way the games play, smashers will treat it like it'd be two different franchises.

You usually don't see this happen a lot with series that are sequels. Only one I can think of is Vampire Hunter against Vampire Savior maybe?
Her movement is just as good as ever but now she's built more for the game it feels like.

She has a good vertical KO move in uair, which is very good in a game like this where the horizontal blastzones are the way they are vertical kill power is better.

Ftilt is still amazing.

New scrubby ledge mechanics make her recovery good for the first time in her history while also making her offstage edge guarding carry minimal risks.

Is what I've gathered.

Yea and PAC Man looks dope. I got my hands in the full game yesterday and I was very impressed with Greninja as well.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Especially when taking into the account of how Smash 4 plays in general.

Azure J

Ftilt is still amazing.

Is what I've gathered.

I feel like there are a lot of Urley™ top tier contenders but seeing all this typed up made me realize that I've been sleeping on how much Sheik has going for herself.

Marz

I don't get it. I mean even if MKX wasn't as good as MK9 I would still want to move on. It's fresh new challenges, new rivalries, there's nothing to gain from playing MK9 anymore from a competitive standpoint. They must be crazy.

How do you figure their is nothing to gain? Melee metagame was still evolving 8+ years after it was released, I'd argue it still is.

If its still fun and has a ton of players in the scene with competitive drive than their is a lot to gain.

Guarantee if NRS/Anime communities didn't drop games like a rock 2 years or less when the next big thing comes out their would be a lot more discovered/explored.

Melee offers something that's not really found in any of the sequels. Even if it's an iteration in a franchise, it feels unique and different.

With the way the games play, smashers will treat it like it'd be two different franchises.

You usually don't see this happen a lot with series that are sequels. Only one I can think of is Vampire Hunter against Vampire Savior maybe?

I can't imagine Melee to 4 would be any more unique than MK9 to MKX.

Azure J

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Especially when taking into the account of how Smash 4 plays in general.

Haha, that Vampire Hunter/Vampire Saviour comparison is so apt. It's also interesting for me after playing both fairly recently and wondering how the hell Saviour feels so good while Hunter feels so... "OK but not Saviour".

How do you figure their is nothing to gain? Melee metagame was still evolving 8+ years after it was released, I'd argue it still is.

If its still fun and has a ton of players in the scene with competitive drive than their is a lot to gain.

Guarantee if NRS/Anime communities didn't drop games like a rock 2 years or less when the next big thing comes out their would be a lot more discovered/explored.

I don't know about that. The meta game would advance but it's diminishing returns. If I had continued to focus on MK9 I might have gotten a bit more sharp in some matches but I was still going to lose to Kenshi every time. Focusing on Injustice was significantly more rewarding.

and from a competitive standpoint if the results are stagnant your drive goes down. I have placed top 8 in every MK9 tournament for 2 years straight. I basically only lose to a small group of top players, training partners and Kenshi. What does another top 8 mean to me, when I could be using that time on getting better at Injustice?

Marz

I don't know about that. The meta game would advance but it's diminishing returns. If I had continued to focus on MK9 I might have gotten a bit more sharp in some matches but I was still going to lose to Kenshi every time. Focusing on Injustice was significantly more rewarding.

and from a competitive standpoint if the results are stagnant your drive goes down. I have placed top 8 in every MK9 tournament for 2 years straight. I basically only lose to a small group of top players, training partners and Kenshi. What does another top 8 mean to me, when I could be using that time on getting better at Injustice?

I see your point.

alstein

As for Q bomb- I'm fine with Q-Bomb, it's RSF that makes me hate Fuerte. If Fuerte didn't have that I'd enjoy playing against him.

SNK's franchises are also great examples.

All the good KOFs really play differently from each other. 98 plays somewhat like 2k2, but plays nothing like XI or XIII. (and XI and XIII aren't that similar)
Fatal Fury- FFSP,RB1, RB2, and Garou are completely different games
Samsho 2 and Special are very different

NEO0MJ

I can't imagine Melee to 4 would be any more unique than MK9 to MKX.

You have to keep in mind that Melee was an accident, it was never meant to be so competitive. Sakurai went out of his way to make sure that its sequel Brawl was as nutured as possible and boring as fuck to the competitive players. I mean come on, tripping? Who the hell comes up with that idea?

That's why there's a chance Smash players might come back to Melee if Smash 4 is too close to Brawl.

Infinite

Then this becomes about playing the game you like versus playing the game that's "hot right now".

alstein

The fact that PC is getting respect and a day 1 release is going to earn my money. I've wanted to like MK but never been able to like it.

Kimosabae

Banned
I assume with the new game the top guys will focus on that and stop practicing Melee. Only play it at tournaments and not be a priority. If that happens they'll stop caring and that dominoes into the rest of the scene. I would be impressed if they can continue to have a competitive drive for Melee a year into 4's life. Maybe I'm underestimating their fanatical love of Melee.

What you're underestimating is what Melee offers, mechanically. No fighting game plays anything remotely like it. Not even Project: Melee. While the game has its Gods, the ceiling is still relatively untapped in terms of both its mechanics and characters - Amsa and Axel have made that pretty clear in the passed year.

Kars, can dismiss this as fanaticism if he wants, but there was a good 3 years where you couldn't pay me to play Melee (and people actually have tried). I was sick of seeing and playing the game and wanting of new FG ventures. But after coming back to it again recently, there's an exhilarating and frenetic feeling of freedom and expression that simply doesn't exist anywhere else in fighting games. Melee actually makes me excited to play fighting games in general.

Smash 4 will have to be something incredible to replace Melee.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
And I'll body him too!

tumblr_inline_moc7sjmG3O1qz4rgp.gif

don't bring up my hopes again smedwicks pls

Yo Turtle, when is my Zangief gonna have his way with you?

Anne

Wasn't he really serious about being a dominating player or something to that effect at one point? Doesn't seem like he's hit that particular level of play. Maybe that's got him down. Has he spoken on it recently?

Yeah, he's been a really dominant player until the last few months. The character changes and the uncharacteristic losses, etc. have piled up. Lich kinda went the opposite route, he's been playing out of his mind lately and consistently wins NY events.

There's been a slump in general in the ASW community lately with some players, while others have ran with it. These thigns happen.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
what time you available tomorrow?

and don't give me none of that communist central time. gimme master race EST.

dude, we live the same country. i find it odd that we have the same profession, ethnicity, goals and hobbies... Are you my long lost brother?

you took the bait son, im good to play this wednesday but not tomorrow or tuesday cause life.

Lemstar

Wasn't he really serious about being a dominating player or something to that effect at one point? Doesn't seem like he's hit that particular level of play. Maybe that's got him down. Has he spoken on it recently?
Wonder if it has anything to do with getting blown up in Japan.

Kumubou

Seems more into persona/UNIEL than Blazblue from what I can tell. He's even hype about Smash 4 it seems
He is not into UNIEL at all -- apparently he's already dropped the game. I think he can't find a character that fits him (aka has huge normals and can force a 1P game at the drop of a hat -- there's plenty of the former and a couple of characters with the latter but none with both, really). I think he's also going through some personal issues, as well (which really is beyond the scope of this thread).

Infinite

He is not into UNIEL at all -- apparently he's already dropped the game. I think he can't find a character that fits him (aka has huge normals and can force a 1P game at the drop of a hat -- there's plenty of the former and a couple of characters with the latter but none with both, really). I think he's also going through some personal issues, as well (which really is beyond the scope of this thread).

Yeah, you're right and I can relate to the later. Beyond the scope of this thread tho like you said.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn, looking back at the last few pages, it looks like I missed an Fuerte running wild yesterday.

Stupid timezones.

Top Bottom