• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Fiktion

Banned
iod9lCISQ4IbF.gif

Dahbomb

And I guess I'll play DMC3 first. I tried playing DMC1 but couldn't get in. Dropped the game after the first Black Knight boss. I wish it had checkpoints so I didn't have to restart the whole chapter whenever I mess up.
Just make sure you pick the Gold checkpoint system in DMC3.

Sayah

Yep. Seems like Smash 4 will be replacing Melee for the competitive scene. This game got crazy setups and combos and way too many new characters and features to be shoved aside for a decade old game.

I loved Brawl regardless. Don't care for combos in Smash and didn't mind the slower speed and floatiness. The only negative was tripping for me. But Smash 4 seems like a great balance between Melee and Brawl.

Infinite

I can't say that I think smash 4 will -replace- melee. Not until the wiiu version comes out at least. Even then I don't think folks will stop playing melee regardless of how Smash 4 develops

Riposte

I can't say that I think smash 4 will -replace- melee. Not until the wiiu version comes out at least. Even then I don't think folks will stop playing melee regardless of how Smash 4 develops

If anything, I have to imagine Brawl is the only thing that's done. Especially if the DLC rumors are true.

Sayah

It's already going to replace Melee at EVO. And I'd imagine in future EVOs as well if the competitive community accepts it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

People still play Smash64 so yeah, the players will remain divided but as long as everyone is having fun, that's all that matters.

K.Sabot

Lol Melee ain't going anywhere.

Let the game develop, we'll see how players feel about a game with 0 shieldstun in a year lol.

smurfx

get some go again
I would be fine with that but I doubt that will happen.
why shouldn't both be in? games with healthy communities should get in. smash 4 might end up getting the most entrants and melee will probably battle it out with usf4 for the second most entrants.

why shouldn't both be in? games with healthy communities should get in. smash 4 might end up getting the most entrants and melee will probably battle it out with usf4 for the second most entrants.

Looking at trends and depending on space....I doubt you'll see both. Melee will probably have a side tournament though.

Kimosabae

Banned
lol @ people determining Melee's future by hype GIFS featuring players that still don't even understand the game they're playing.

I can taste the desperation.

Well they had to give him one non brain dead FRC.

And fucking lol at people saying Nemo is the rising star of 2014

This doesn't even make sense. A harder to execute FRC doesn't make it any more or less potentially "brain-dead" than an easier one. At the end of the day, it's a muscle memory tactic.

It's definitely tough. Once you grind it out though, you'll be doing those combos where you FRC stun edges four times with ease.
It does have a certain entry barrier since FRC stun edge is when you truly get to what Ky's all about.

I guess there are YRCs now (for better or worse). Unfortunately I hate Xrd Ky's fireball game.

It's not the combos and block strings that frustrate me - that's just muscle memory. It's learning the timing, generally, so that I can use FRCs in impromptu, multivariate ways. That opens up Ky's neutral game more, but the timing is hella finicky and can feel different depending on what your character is currently doing.

petghost

Banned
i mean NRS got two games in and i bet smash is gonna bring a lot more numbers than MK/injustice.

james chen says its always about communities showing up and showing support so we'll see if its really about the numbers i guess.

my gut feeling is that it is not.

one thing i just realized about ky in +R is that if he FRC's air stun edge all his air movement options reset...so he can double jump/airdash till he runs outta meter. was it always this way?

Azure J

Melee is Super Turbo. Those games will never "die" and instead revive themselves like phoenixes when they feel like it. Smash 4 is definitely putting a bullet in Brawl's head though.

Project M might co-exist with these two games but get smaller over time.

i mean NRS got two games in and i bet smash is gonna bring a lot more numbers than MK/injustice.

james chen says its always about communities showing up and showing support so we'll see if its really about the numbers i guess.

my gut feeling is that it is not.

That's mainly because Injustice isn't MK and vice versa. If MKX were to come out after MK9, you wouldn't see MK9 besides a Side tournament.

Yeah but Injustice and MK are separate series that don't play alike. It's like saying Ultra and Marvel are "two Capcom games".

I mean if they have the numbers I guess it makes sense. Props to them even tough it'd suck for another community if their smaller game missed the cut because Smash has two games.

It's just weird to me though. I loved MK9 but when MKX is out I'm done. Felt the same way when I played Tekken and there was a sequel. I can't believe they're not ready to move on.

Sayah

lol @ people determining Melee's future by hype GIFS featuring players that still don't even understand the game they're playing.

I can taste the desperation.

Where are you seeing desperation?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be? lol

If they can both sustain a good number of entrants, which they would, then sure. But considering there's A LOT of fighting games, I'm thinking they're not going to feature Melee. But who knows. Not like the decision is up to me.

Azure J

Just let smash 4 develop.

I feel like Smash 4 3DS shows some promise in the core design (barring one or two things), but we can't get a clear enough picture because there's an element of unfamiliarity with the 3DS itself for the game.

Seriously, if this were on a console with a GCN control scheme, that gif above would have the guy Falcon Dive'd wall tech into a knee answer on some Lord shit.

Rhapsody

Banned
Melee is Super Turbo. Those games will never "die" and instead revive themselves like phoenixes when they feel like it. Smash 4 is definitely putting a bullet in Brawl's head though.

Project M might co-exist with these two games but get smaller over time.

It's crazy how big Melee is right now. The Big House 4 has over 500 entrants. Lot of big names flying out just for a regional.

I don't follow Smash at all. Are the results stagnant? Do the same guys place and win? I would think a game that old would be mostly completely developed and the results solidified.

I don't follow Smash at all. Are the results stagnant? Do the same guys place and win? I would think a game that old would be mostly completely developed and the results solidified.

Yeah, there's a top tier of a handful absolutely godlike players (Mew2King, Mango, Armada, Hungrybox, PPMD) who just win stuff, pretty much like Marvel.

Azure J

There's a set "upper echelon" and set understanding of character viability yeah, but there's enough happening in any one match of Melee that character strengths can vary wildly in match ups. On a player level, there's also enough shuffling at the levels immediately under the position of the all time greats that things are exciting to watch even now. A lot of these guys also give some of the established greats some good runs for their money, so it's not all Chris G versus the world in Marvel status.

The story of the past year and change was Yoshi's after all and that character was considered to be a real Struggle™ character until aMSa's run from EVO 2013 - 2014.

Rhapsody

Banned

In a way, the very top results are kind of Marvel-like where you have those gods. The level beneath that are really good players that are still able to create some upsets time to time though.

I assume with the new game the top guys will focus on that and stop practicing Melee. Only play it at tournaments and not be a priority. If that happens they'll stop caring and that dominoes into the rest of the scene. I would be impressed if they can continue to have a competitive drive for Melee a year into 4's life. Maybe I'm underestimating their fanatical love of Melee.

I assume with the new game the top guys will focus on that and stop practicing Melee. Only play it at tournaments and not be a priority. If that happens they'll stop caring and that dominoes into the rest of the scene. I would be impressed if they can continue to have a competitive drive for Melee a year into 4's life. Maybe I'm underestimating their fanatical love of Melee.
I think you are. They already accepted the death of the last sequel. This one has them cautious and bitter. Look at Kimo!

Marz

Smash community is not like the rest of the FGC.

Although with all these new sponsorships they might be forced to play the new game (Mango, Hbox, PPMD etc.).

I don't get it. I mean even if MKX wasn't as good as MK9 I would still want to move on. It's fresh new challenges, new rivalries, there's nothing to gain from playing MK9 anymore from a competitive standpoint. They must be crazy.

MKX will be better than MK9. Pre-order your copy today!

Top Bottom