• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Pappasman

Mew2king first round confirmed.

FGW | No DM sent
Oh god this reminded me of my first round of melee at EVO this year. I had to play a sponsored shiek player(ss | flow) and got double 4 stocked :(

Oh and Mango watched the whole thing too. How embarrassing haha

Have any of you had to face top players first round? (In any game?)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Oh god this reminded me of my first round of melee at EVO this year. I had to play a sponsored shiek player and got double 4 stocked :(

Smedwicks has.

Rhapsody

Banned
Oh god this reminded me of my first round of melee at EVO this year. I had to play a sponsored shiek player and got double 4 stocked :(

Not in Evo. Outside of that, Zhu and M2K in Melee teams. Mago in UMvC3 (not that he was great at that particular game).

There's probably more.

Kumubou

If you enter enough tournaments, it happens. Evo 2009 was the worst for this, as I had to play John Choi first round in HDR and Centarion in SC4 (or however his handle is spelled). For those that don't know, he was at the time the #1 Hilde player in the US. In SC4, where she was stupidly broken. That wasn't fun. The funniest example was when I had to play Tokido in BBCS2 first round at Evo 2011. It probably doesn't count as he didn't play the game seriously... which was blatantly obvious when I played him, because that set went to the bitter end. -_-

The worse example I can think of happened to a friend of mine at Evo 2010. He was probably one of the top 3 Melty players in the country (and one of the other two wasn't at the event)... and he got seeded against one of the two JP players that showed up first round. He did run through the entire losers bracket, but that's still a shitfuckton of games to play.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who may know

How easy would it be to get PSN+ on a JP account from the US?

I have some points leftover on my account and I was thinking I could buy whatever the lowest amount was for the GG demo, but do you have to add a CC to your account like in the US to activate your account?

alstein

Oh god this reminded me of my first round of melee at EVO this year. I had to play a sponsored shiek player(ss | flow) and got double 4 stocked :(

My very first tourney match ever almost 20 years ago was John Choi.

Kumubou

Which game? This is pretty shitty and wouldn't happen for any of the major games.

Did someone put up money/sponsor DOA5 too?
The stream was running behind because KI (the first game) got a late start due to most of top 8 not showing up. By the time BBCP was going to come up, half of the top 8 for BB (the Canadian players) had to get ready to leave, which leads to a bunch of the top 8 games being played off stream.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The stream was running behind because KI (the first game) got a late start due to most of top 8 not showing up. By the time BBCP was going to come up, half of the top 8 for BB (the Canadian players) had to get ready to leave, which leads to a bunch of the top 8 games being played off stream.
In retrospect, I guess a pot bonus doesn't change much. Paying for promo time is the line.

Kumubou

In retrospect, I guess a pot bonus doesn't change much. Paying for promo time is the line.
Personally, I would have DQed half of the top 8 for KI. I have very little tolerance for players missing a start time especially when they know they need to be there a day or two in advance, and that it's going to screw up the entire schedule if the TO waits.

Personally, I would have DQed half of the top 8 for KI. I have very little tolerance for players missing a start time especially when they know they need to be there a day or two in advance, and that it's going to screw up the entire schedule if the TO waits.

Yeah, that's super shitty for the people who made the effort to be there on time and everyone else after them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vote for thread titles below. Reposting two of the best suggestions I've seen thus far:

FGW | Tokido Drift
FGW | Omega Free

I vote Tokido Drift.

Mr. X

People wondering why or how players could stick to the old version in the face of an update/sequel never had that experience of a really bad sequel/update with the old version still easily available.

I was waiting to see it happen when people were upset about AE but they kept sticking to AE in the facing of entrants dropping over time while frequently complaining publicly.

Sticking to Soul Calibur 3 definitely killed that scene.

The "anime" scene either doesn't give a shit or each update is actually just always better for their game.

Vampire scene stuck to one particular arc. version of Savior, passing on the other revisions of Savior and sequels afterwards.

3rd Strike stuck to the build with unblockables instead of the one with them removed.

Then you have KoF 98,98UM, 02, 02UM, XI and XIII where scenes form and exist around that game, not the franchise. I guess this could also work with SF Hyper Fighting but that is much smaller example.

Dahbomb

When Tekken 4 came out, people were still actively playing TTT1. That's because T4 sucked. Once T5 came out, T4 was forgotten from the competitive scene. Hell both T4 and TTT1 were in the EVO roster for 2003.

In most other situations though.. the latest Tekken generally over took the previous one. That's because aside from T4 most Tekkens were just iterative changes over the previous ones so it was easier for the hardcores to move on to the next Tekken. T4's failure is pretty much the reason why Namco/Harada are so phobic in terms of giving Tekken the 3rd Strike/MKX treatment.... they tried that already and it didn't work for them.

For all intents and purposes... Smash is generally the exception to all rules. I wouldn't be surprised if we are 8 years in the future with the release of Smash 6 and people are still playing Melee.

alstein

When Tekken 4 came out, people were still actively playing TTT1. That's because T4 sucked. Once T5 came out, T4 was forgotten from the competitive scene. Hell both T4 and TTT1 were in the EVO roster for 2003.

In most other situations though.. the latest Tekken generally over took the previous one. That's because aside from T4 most Tekkens were just iterative changes over the previous ones so it was easier for the hardcores to move on to the next Tekken. T4's failure is pretty much the reason why Namco/Harada are so phobic in terms of giving Tekken the 3rd Strike/MKX treatment.... they tried that already and it didn't work for them.

For all intents and purposes... Smash is generally the exception to all rules. I wouldn't be surprised if we are 8 years in the future with the release of Smash 6 and people are still playing Melee.

KOF has done the 3S/MKX treatment in terms of major changes at least 4 if not 5 times during the history of the series.

I'd call 96 99 2k3 XII and XIII major revamps.

Infinite

Don't people still play KOF 98?

Top Bottom