• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 final hands on previews are coming out

Maximilian said on the build he played it was 60fps in combat and locked 30fps outside of combat in performance mode. If that's the case for the final release build, I will be skipping it and waiting on the PC version.
Why would it be? they have already shown a 60fps traversal mode and it was already stated that people played a lot of different builds. All dev versions none were the final code.

Ok as the resident CG Cutscene Whore, I’ve seen a couple of previews talk about how the Shiva Vs. Titan scene showcases the “power of the PS5” which is REALLY bugging me. Like 70% of that cutscene is CG! If there’s really no full-blown CG cutscenes in the game it’ll piss me off. If you’re going to have scenes that are obviously higher quality than the rest of the game, you might as well go all-out and use your internal CG studio for all aspects of those scenes. The game looks good, but it’s not good enough to omit the series’ lauded CG cutscenes. The character models in particular are truly nothing special.

Side note: I’m assuming the “prologue cutscene” that Gematsu posted is heavily edited to not include the full thing. Otherwise those abrupt black screen transitions are terrible.

It's getting harder and harder to take some posters on here seriously.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Depending on the final result for performance mode if it isn’t 60fps in and out of combat then I’ll just do 30fps. I’d rather have consistency rather than 60 combat than jarring dips everywhere . That’s a horrible compromise IMO.

The main thing that could kill this game is performance honestly. ToTK is limited by hardware but is 30fps locked 99% of the time. A ps5 game doesn’t get the same wiggle room unfortunately . People want and should get a locked 60fps option…

I'm with you man but...what about if you're playing on an OLED ? 30fps is unplayable dammit due to the stuttery image/feeling.
Damn, I'm afraid that I'll have to use motion interpolation on my LG C2 - artifacts be damned - 'cause there is no way to enjoy 30fps on OLED.
I love my C2 but sometimes I wish I would have gone for an LCD/LED 4K tv

PS : and people still say that Pro version of consoles are unneeded

Never really been into final fantasy but for the first time, I'm very interested. I really like what I've seen so far and the music is nice!

Umbasaborne

Banned
Why would it be? they have already shown a 60fps traversal mode and it was already stated that people played a lot of different builds. All dev versions none were the final code.

Boohoo, someone didnt like the character models as much as you, so we cant take them seriously.

Boohoo, someone didnt like the character models as much as you, so we cant take them seriously.
You're doing the same thing he did, hyperbole much? I don't care if you don't like the models or not some will some won't. It's the constant nay saying and hyperbole I've noticed especially from a select few posters in every thread about the game.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
You're doing the same thing he did, hyperbole much? I don't care if you don't like the models or not some will some won't. It's the constant nay saying and hyperbole I've noticed especially from a select few posters in every thread about the game.
I have nothing bad to say about the game, i think it looks great. I just cant stand it when people get annoyed at someone for not liking something as much as them, or not immediately being hyped about the brand new game. People are welcome to dislike something about a game, they arent stupid or wrong for feeling that way. Its the same thing those annoying xbox lunatics on twitter do when people criticize microsoft

Last edited:
I have nothing bad to say about the game, i think it looks great. I just cant stand it when people get annoyed at someone for not liking something as much as them, or not immediately being hyped about the brand new game. People are welcome to dislike something about a game, they arent stupid or wrong for feeling that way. Its the same thing those annoying xbox lunatics on twitter do when people criticize microsoft
Again I don't care if they like it or not. You cant stand it when people get annoyed at someone for not liking something as much as they do. That's not the issue. Certain posters enter every thread about this game to muck it up and drive by shit post. That is the annoyance not that they do or do not like the game.

If they don't like the game good on them, they aren't stupid or wrong. Never said they were 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Again I don't care if they like it or not. You cant stand it when people get annoyed at someone for not liking something as much as they do. That's not the issue. Certain posters enter every thread about this game to muck it up and drive by shit post. That is the annoyance not that they do or do not like the game.

If they don't like the game good on them, they aren't stupid or wrong. Never said they were 🤷‍♂️
Its not mucking it up, those are valid criticisms, some of the cut scene transitions do look a little jank imo, and the characters are definitely a little more geographically simple than ff7 remake for example, but the enviroments are a huge step up from that game and its low res ps3 brown corridors.

Its not mucking it up, those are valid criticisms, some of the cut scene transitions do look a little jank imo, and the characters are definitely a little more geographically simple than ff7 remake for example, but the enviroments are a huge step up from that game and its low res ps3 brown corridors.
Do you mean the cutscenes that are obviously hard cut edits to hide spoilers? That's a bad faith argument. I don't know what you mean by geographically simple.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Soken is really, really trying his best here wow. Can’t wait for the full ost T_T

Btw people comparing characters models and animations outside of proper cutscenes to the likes of Horizon or God of War don’t have an idea of the immense difference in budgets between the three. It’s pretty obvious how FF16 runs on a much tighter budget and limited scope and where they focused first over unnecessary embellishments of previous entries.

Soken is really, really trying his best here wow. Can’t wait for the full ost T_T

Btw people comparing characters models and animations outside of proper cutscenes to the likes of Horizon or God of War don’t have an idea of the immense difference in budgets between the three. It’s pretty obvious how FF16 runs on a much tighter budget and limited scope and where they focused first over unnecessary embellishments of previous entries.
I already ordered the ultimate edition soundtrack. So far the music is very good.

hussar16

God, this game just keeps getting "worse" for me.

After the trailers, we all knew that they went 100% on the action, and that it seemed inspired by Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, but according to Max FF XVI is just a straight Bayonetta and Devil May Cry clone, with RPG stats sprinkled on top of it.

Who... asked for this? Its not just that it is action, it doesn't seem to be an RPG at all anymore.

Like I said, I'll grab it during a sale down the line if the game is good, but I am deeply dissapointed in how the game appears to be shaping up to be.
It also looks awful generic .the last cool looking ff with great art style was ff10. The faces of everyone here looks like a ps2 flat texture

I'm with you man but...what about if you're playing on an OLED ? 30fps is unplayable dammit due to the stuttery image/feeling.
Damn, I'm afraid that I'll have to use motion interpolation on my LG C2 - artifacts be damned - 'cause there is no way to enjoy 30fps on OLED.
I love my C2 but sometimes I wish I would have gone for an LCD/LED 4K tv

PS : and people still say that Pro version of consoles are unneeded

Is that a problem with LG OLEDs specifically? I see people calling 30 fps unplayable on OLEDs often, but they play great on my Sony A80J OLED.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Well, this will most likely be my first final fantasy game.

Went from not giving a single fuck about the entire franchise to this being my potential GOTY.

The new gameplay/not RPG may piss off long time fans of the series, but for newcomers like me, it’s a blessing.

Fools idol

Banned
not to be a debbie downer but other than the graphics looking very impressive I don't really see much that makes me want to buy.

Final fantasy to me is slower paced, turn based combat, long and winding character arcs, linear fashion... kind of bummed that they are going all-in on the action game style from now on :( I went COMPLETELY media blackout from announcement of FF7 remake until release so you can imagine my genuine confusion and outright dissappointment to find some weird 3rd person perspective action combat replacing the traditional style. I barely got 2 hours into the game before putting it down for good..

Have any games come out recently that follow the true classic Final Fantasy formula?

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

not to be a debbie downer but other than the graphics looking very impressive I don't really see much that makes me want to buy.

Final fantasy to me is slower paced, turn based combat, long and winding character arcs, linear fashion... kind of bummed that they are going all-in on the action game style from now on :( I went COMPLETELY media blackout from announcement of FF7 remake until release so you can imagine my genuine confusion and outright dissappointment to find some weird 3rd person perspective action combat replacing the traditional style. I barely got 2 hours into the game before putting it down for good..

Have any games come out recently that follow the true classic Final Fantasy formula?
The year is 2023 and the hardware is PS5, not the PS1. If you want to play the classic formula then play the older games. 👍

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you want play great turn based combat with job system…..

IsX7DgPyVdZJf1ZGGNhB1RrI.png

It legitimately one of my favourite game I played this year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This actually does sound amazing...but what do you know.. its a character action game according to them...

At least they call out how God of war had no scale...and this is swimming in it.

I'll play it as a character action game as long as its 60 fps

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It’s a complete nonsense take. There’s no issue with 30fps on LG OLED. Plays perfectly fine lol

30fps stutter/judder on OLED is not hyperbole nor a "nonsense take" since it's something that's tied directly to the hardware, the fast response time of OLED TVs causes images to appear more quickly, so images are displayed on screen for longer which causes said stutter, it's how they work basically.

Now, maybe you don't /can't notice it, maybe you have VRR turned off system-wide and you're gaming outside of game picture mode with some motion interpolation already active per profile/picture mode, maybe you're playing lots of games on quality mode/30fps and your brain got used to it but it's there, this is not about the usual "OMG I got so accustomed at playing at 60fps that now 30fps is unplayable ", this a side-effect introduced by the instant response time of OLEDs.

Before getting my C2 I used to read about this very thing and just dismissed it as the "typical internet hyperbole", well, after getting it and giving a couple of 30fps games/quality modes a go...yep, it's that bad.

Never had such a problem with LCD or even Plasma screens, this is purely an OLED thing.

Cheers

GymWolf

Ok as the resident CG Cutscene Whore, I’ve seen a couple of previews talk about how the Shiva Vs. Titan scene showcases the “power of the PS5” which is REALLY bugging me. Like 70% of that cutscene is CG! If there’s really no full-blown CG cutscenes in the game it’ll piss me off. If you’re going to have scenes that are obviously higher quality than the rest of the game, you might as well go all-out and use your internal CG studio for all aspects of those scenes. The game looks good, but it’s not good enough to omit the series’ lauded CG cutscenes. The character models in particular are truly nothing special.

Side note: I’m assuming the “prologue cutscene” that Gematsu posted is heavily edited to not include the full thing. Otherwise those abrupt black screen transitions are terrible.
The marketing about this game showing the true power of ps5 has been constant comedy gold.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It looks okay but it doesn’t look like a FF game.
I will probably like it but I’ll be sad at the same time. 😢

I vehemently disagree with you to the point where I seriously think that is a delusional take. The character models are extremely average. We can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

One of the especially dumber comments around here was 'fun haters'. Or maybe we've just outgrown dumb mindless action drivel and want something more substantial?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If you want play great turn based combat with job system…..

IsX7DgPyVdZJf1ZGGNhB1RrI.png

It legitimately one of my favourite game I played this year.

This game is incredible. GG

I think this game will be great, but multiple previews are telling me it is a character action game with current poor performance....hopefully its ironed out for launch.

I think i'm over it not being a traditional Final Fantasy now and I can just enjoy it for its violence and clear mature game of thrones tone. I'm hyped...just needs to be locked 60 FPS in all aspects. Can't have a 30 FPS character action game.

Mr.Phoenix

One of the especially dumber comments around here was 'fun haters'. Or maybe we've just outgrown dumb mindless action drivel and want something more substantial?
I try and avoid getting drawn into these discussions of preference. As I believe they are generally subjective. But I would talk about why some people that critique an upcoming game usually are met with animosity. Using your post as an example.

Do you see the bolded part? It's comments like those that irk people. You cant sincerely believe you would say something like that and expect anyone to look at your criticisms as genuine. Or people saying things like generic visuals and PS2 tier.

It's one thing to come and say, hey I prefer turn-based RPGs, and since this isn't that I am not interested, and no one would bat an eye or say anything about that. But there are some that would go as far as saying that the series has lost its way because they are trying something different, when true to FF, they have always tried something different. Or call it a clone simply because they are meaning heavy on the Action part of the RPG...etc. Just comes off as disingenuous.

If ever someone is making genuine criticism, you'll find that it's not something anyone can say anything about. Eg... I prefer turn-based RPGs, this game isn't for me. I am no longer a fan of the whole dark fantasy look, kinda jaded on that look, and would prefer something more whimsical like in FFX or FFIX, this is not for me....etc. See? No one can take issue with that. But if I said... damn this game just looks generic and boring. The last time I saw a FF game that looked interesting was FFX... well, everyone would see right through bullshit statements like that.

I try and ignore all and such comments, because to me, honestly, I find that people that have to exaggerate or use such hyperbole to make a point are generally childish, attention-seeking, have an agenda... or any combination of all three. But I am finding it difficult ignoring it when after they have done that shit, and get called out for it, they go on the defense and start acting like they aren't allowed to have an opinion.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm worried about this "mature story". Usually when they say mature they mean stuff like 'Dark Color Palettes', casual sex, rape, some shock-value scene like 'oh no, they killed a child' or 'oh no, i killed a pregnant woman', and a few edgy things like 'i live for revenge... *low growling voice*'.

Honestly, too many writers think a 'mature' story is just a generic hero-story/anti-hero narrative with added darky and edgy elements.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
to be fair, the story and all that sounds amazing. That's whats won me over from the previews.

I'll just have to see how I feel about all the swearing and game of thrones story...

Maybe it might be a little too.... SHOCKING!

hyperbertha

I try and avoid getting drawn into these discussions of preference. As I believe they are generally subjective. But I would talk about why some people that critique an upcoming game usually are met with animosity. Using your post as an example.

Do you see the bolded part? It's comments like those that irk peope. You cant sincerely believe you would say something like that and expect anyone to look at your criticisms as genuine. Or peope saying things like generic visuals and PS2 tier.

It's one thing to come and say, hey I prefer turn-based RPGs, and since this isn't that I am not interested, and no one would bat an eye or say anything about that. But there are some that would go as far as saying that the series has lost its way because they are trying something different, when true to FF, they have always tried something different. Or call it a clone simply because they are meaning heavy on the Action part of the RPG...etc. Just comes off as disingenuous.

If ever someone is making genuine criticism, you'll find that it's not something anyone can say anything about. Eg... I prefer turn-based RPGs, this game isn't for me. I am no longer a fan of the whole dark fantasy look, kinda jaded on that look, and would prefer something more whimsical like in FFX or FFIX, this is not for me....etc. See? No one can take issue with that. But if I said... damn this game just looks generic and boring. The last time I saw a FF game that looked interesting was FFX... well, everyone would see right through bullshit statements like that.

I try and ignore all and such comments, because to me, honestly, I find that people that have to exaggerate or use such hyperbole to make a point are generally childish, attention-seeking, have an agenda... or any combination of all three. But I am finding it difficult ignoring it when after they have done that shit, and get called out for it, they go on the defense and start acting like they aren't allowed to have an opinion.
And what about people that say turn based is 'outdated'? Do you have problem with them?
And I really meant it when I called action games drivel. It's not exaggeration. My muscle memory is so honed that playing a title like dmc is a mindless reflex experience. It doesn't make me use my mind in any meaningful way.

Mr.Phoenix

And what about people that say turn based is 'outdated'? Do you have problem with them?
And I really meant it when I called action games drivel. It's not exaggeration. My muscle memory is so honed that playing a title like dmc is a mindless reflex experience. It doesn't make me use my mind in any meaningful way.
Yup. As that to me is no different than what I am pointing out here.

And just so I understand you, Action games are drivel to you because you are really good at them?

to be fair, the story and all that sounds amazing. That's whats won me over from the previews.

I'll just have to see how I feel about all the swearing and game of thrones story...

Maybe it might be a little too.... SHOCKING!
To me, the most important thing to me in every FF game I have played, and I have played them all, has always been the story. In fact, it's always been the story, presentation, and music.

Those are the things that have always drawn me to the franchise. I have never found turn-based gameplay mechanics to be challenging, though I always liked it too, so I don't have anything against it.

So generally, as long as the core elements I like are in place, I take everything else as a bonus (for reference, one of my best SE games ever was Vagrant Story). This is the first FF game that is truly giving me those Vagrant story Vibes. And that is something that makes me really happy. I dare say this game can be considered as spiritual successor to Vagrant Story (anyone that has played that game would understand the similarities). Just blown up to FF scale.

I'm worried about this "mature story". Usually when they say mature they mean stuff like 'Dark Color Palettes', casual sex, rape, some shock-value scene like 'oh no, they killed a child' or 'oh no, i killed a pregnant woman', and a few edgy things like 'i live for revenge... *low growling voice*'.

Honestly, too many writers think a 'mature' story is just a generic hero-story/anti-hero narrative with added darky and edgy elements.
Well, to be fair... I worry about EVERY story. Find that any story or story theme can be great or useless...it comes down to how its presented and packaged. But we can only know after the game is out.

So far, I like the foundations they have set, political drama, nations fighting and scheming over power/control of what is a very finite resource. What the bearers are and how they are treated, what the dominants are, and how they are treated by the different countries. Rebel groups, being abe to tell where someone is from from their accent...etc. So far it seems to have all the underpinnings of a good plot. Just hope they do it justice and don't drop the ball... which has seemed to be the case with a lot of FF stories of late.

Last edited:
Top Bottom