• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 had a 30 million dollar marketing budget

Power Pro

Sony actually does a great job of marketing when its a game that makes sense to them. They had FF7 commercials running on primetime TV in the US.
And not a single one of them was the reason I learned of this game and played it. The idea of marketing perplexes me so much. I hate marketing, I hate being a "demographic" or being reduced to anything that guys in suits try to figure out how to sell to. I hate seeing commercials so much that I actively don't want something if I see it advertised too much.

nocsi

And not a single one of them was the reason I learned of this game and played it. The idea of marketing perplexes me so much. I hate marketing, I hate being a "demographic" or being reduced to anything that guys in suits try to figure out how to sell to. I hate seeing commercials so much that I actively don't want something if I see it advertised too much.
Marketing is multi-faceted. Some marketing is intended to generate word-of-mouth and not directly interface with the intended targets. We're talking 1997 though. Sony did an amazing job because not only did they have to introduce JRPGs to the western world, they had to market it as being an experience that could be consumed by your average person. It's incredibly challenging to try and teach an audience about something they have never experienced.

I guarantee in 2022, you're not psychologically-immune to marketing, unless you're actually a bot that doesn't take any outside input.

Last edited:
Marketing is multi-faceted. Some marketing is intended to generate word-of-mouth and not directly interface with the intended targets. We're talking 1997 though. Sony did an amazing job because not only did they have to introduce JRPGs to the western world, they had to market it as being an experience that could be consumed by your average person. It's incredibly challenging to try and teach an audience about something they have never experienced.

I guarantee in 2022, you're not psychologically-immune to marketing, unless you're actually a bot that doesn't take any outside input.
Yeah, FF7 was a big gamble for sony back in the day, they put a lot of money into it and it paid off for both squaresoft and playstation.

Very tough barrier to make something with a lot of reading, menu’s and random turn based battle into something casuals could jump into.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

You are an exception, not a rule.

SSfox

Final Fantasy, like many other franchises won't be where they are now without Sony's support. Ken Kutaragi is the GOAT.

That's pretty big budget btw, i though it was remake but it's original wow!!

Now we get to see Kratos in a soccer* commercial.

Boyfriend Love GIF

Last edited:
Yeah, FF7 was a big gamble for sony back in the day, they put a lot of money into it and it paid off for both squaresoft and playstation.

FF was already huge in Japan, it was only a gamble for the American release which wasn't as successful, but I bet did much better than what their internal expectations were.

Sony was smart to partner with Square.

$30M marketing for a game in 1997? That's insane.

With FF7 consoles were finally starting to see why PC game budgets were so bloated. 3D graphics combined with cinematics is expensive, and you need high sales to make up for it. This requires a big marketing campaign to achieve,

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Say it every time there is a FF7 thread but will say it again.

Not long after FF7 came out, my dad died suddenly. To try to take my mind off the stress my best mate bought me a copy of FF7 to 'escape into to try and take my mind off shit happening in real life'

This game man. Its why I have the tattoos on my arm. This helped me get through such a horrible time in my life.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sony was publishing the game in NA. And they were promoting the PS1 over Christmas. So that budget is not that shocking to me..

The first commercial I saw of this game was responsible for me immediately quitting the game upon playing it the first time and realizing it looked nothing like the trailer. I was like "What's this top-down miniature garbage? Where is the thing I saw in the commercials at?" I abandoned the game for about a year+ till every one of my friends at my elementary school was talking amongst themselves about all the different badass moments and adventures they were getting into in the game, which made me realize that I shouldn't be disrespecting the story and art part of it so much by wanting it to look like some kind of movie from what I saw in the commercials.

Borrowed my friend's copy who had already beaten the game, and my mind was just blown. I would eventually save up my lunch money daily for about a week to buy it from him altogether. I had to have it if he were willing to sell. And that's how this became one of my favorite videogames of all time.

Fuz

Banned
I officially appoint you as my new best friend.

There's a tax.

Ah, you THINK you're not effected by marketing. Trust me. A ton of the purchases you've made were effected by marketing. Way more than you'll ever know.

Power Pro

Ah, you THINK you're not effected by marketing. Trust me. A ton of the purchases you've made were effected by marketing. Way more than you'll ever know.
I agree that you're probably right. And it's still probably true to a point, but the budgets for marketing are still blown way out of proportion compared to what is actually needed. In the case of Final Fantasy 7, it was one of my first RPGs, but it had zero to do with marketing, at least on my end. I had never seen a game like it, and I saw it at a friend's house, and I knew I wanted to play it myself. You could say maybe marketing led to him buying it, and that's why I bought it, but I still don't think that's the case. He was just a spoiled uber nerd whose parents bought him every RPG and had been doing it since the NES. So he didn't need to be marketed on FF7 to buy it.

Maybe I'll still get something cuz it looks cool, but I like to think I've grown as an adult, and I don't give into marketing as much anymore. Especially with how egregious marketing has gotten as I've gotten older. When I was younger, you could go to a movie theater, and you saw some trailers before the show, and that's it. Now you go into a movie theater, and they bombard you with so many damn commercials when I thought I was paying to see a movie. The fact that they keep trying to sell us stuff after they've taken our money just makes me mad, and I will purposely not buy a lot of the crap they show commercials for at such an insane rate.

I agree that you're probably right. And it's still probably true to a point, but the budgets for marketing are still blown way out of proportion compared to what is actually needed. In the case of Final Fantasy 7, it was one of my first RPGs, but it had zero to do with marketing, at least on my end. I had never seen a game like it, and I saw it at a friend's house, and I knew I wanted to play it myself. You could say maybe marketing led to him buying it, and that's why I bought it, but I still don't think that's the case. He was just a spoiled uber nerd whose parents bought him every RPG and had been doing it since the NES. So he didn't need to be marketed on FF7 to buy it.

Maybe I'll still get something cuz it looks cool, but I like to think I've grown as an adult, and I don't give into marketing as much anymore. Especially with how egregious marketing has gotten as I've gotten older. When I was younger, you could go to a movie theater, and you saw some trailers before the show, and that's it. Now you go into a movie theater, and they bombard you with so many damn commercials when I thought I was paying to see a movie. The fact that they keep trying to sell us stuff after they've taken our money just makes me mad, and I will purposely not buy a lot of the crap they show commercials for at such an insane rate.
Maybe you. I was already a big Final Fantasy fan before VII, so I didn't need marketing either.

But, look at Final Fantasy before and after that marketing campaign. It was a relatively niche franchise and then turned into one of the largest.

Akuji

wasnt the game budget in total like 170million $? Back in 97?
Game is legendary for multiple reasons ...

Maybe you. I was already a big Final Fantasy fan before VII, so I didn't need marketing either.

But, look at Final Fantasy before and after that marketing campaign. It was a relatively niche franchise and then turned into one of the largest.

I was a final fantasy fan also which is why I got a N64 cause I assumed the franchise was gonna continue to be on Nintendo lol

Solidus_T

Sony saved squaresoft on multiple occasions, which is why they seem so loyal to them now.
Yeah, and Square didn't necessarily make good decisions with their money even before Sony stepped in. It's the reason why so many of their greatest games were unfinished and neglected during development. That Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie ruined so many games.
Looking at the godly Xenogears, Chrono Cross, SaGa Frontier (eventually they released the remastered version which is complete!) and even Chrono Trigger among others.
I still loved the games that resulted from their partnership with Sony. Brave Fencer Musashi is a must play game in my opinion.

Last edited:

Davesky

I remember clearly the day I picked it out in the game store back in 1998. I wanted Tekken 3 but hadn't realised it was still a few weeks away from being released so told I could buy another game instead. There was nothing fancy about the EU cover just the logo over a white background, and I knew next to nothing about the game. I did buy PlayStation magazines every month so maybe unconsciously picked up on the hype, and probably overheard friends in school talking about it but something convinced me right there and then that I had to buy it, even more so than Tekken 3 which I had been hyped and waiting months for. My older brother even tried to warn me against getting the game when he saw he looking at the back cover, telling me the real game was nothing like that just the 'summons' whatever that meant but I didn't listen to him.

When I first played it I immediately got stuck at the scorpion sentinel boss because of the translation error and ended up lying at the bottom of my cupboard for months with a cracked game case, thinking it was the worst money ever spent, but something eventually made me go back and give it another try. Even when nearly giving up on it at the motor ball boss, because I hadn't yet discovered that you could equip materia and use magic, I somehow had to keep playing. My brother ended up loving the game as well watching me play it. Clearly the marketing campaign worked, but also word of mouth as for many people there was nothing like it that had ever came before.

Top Bottom