• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI is officially 30 years old today!

GKJD5AmXEAAy-62

I really don't like FF VI, but regardless of how I or anyone feels about it, it's pretty objective, I believe, that it is like a Lamborghini engine on a pick-up truck (No diss on the SNES intended).

It has the same mind-blowing factor that Metal Gear Solid 1 had on the PS1.

Where, to this day, you wonder how the fuck did they do all of this on a PS1. It doesn't feel like a PS1 game, at all.
Gameplay wise, presentation, visually, narrative, so on.

Final Fantasy 6 is insane in so many ways.
The gameplay is top notch, the presentation is so wildly different from any other FF that came before it, the MUSIC, the implementation of using multiple parties at the same time was done so well.

The whole "everyone is a protagonist" thing is not exactly true, when Celes, Terra and Locke are arguably the more "main" characters in the bunch, BUT, It was a really creative idea, that I wish Final Fantasy tackled again.
Just a huge cast of characters, and the Protagonist is the whole gang (Maybe they already did, I'm not sure).

World of Ruin is still fucking crazy, not only from a plot perspective, but from a gameplay perspective too.

Not to mention the replay potential.

Anyway, fantastic game. Way ahead of its time.

IAmRei

Congrats to my favourite Final Fantasy title, by far. I keep saying that this should’ve gotten the remake treatment instead of FFVII.

Celes is awesome <3
We will need 4 eps and 20 years T_T but i agree if this game should have one more chance to tell the world, the greatest FF ever ( but my fave still tactics )

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I owned Anthology and the GBA port. One of the best 2D Final Fantasy games. Raganrok esper is OP. I own the Pixel Remastered version of 6 on 3 different platforms.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
FFV gets almost no credit(outside of Japan) for being the
backbone/foundation/core that FFVI (and VII) was built upon it will never not irk me

but yeah 6 is an amazing game I'm def replaying 5/6/7/9 this year

Neff

My first FF and still one of my favourites in the genre. Absolute masterpiece.

Last edited:

Raven117

The absolute best Final Fantasy there is.

I played this for the first time when I was at an age where this was optimal video game playing age.

The experience (along with a few others), gave a feeling I still chase to this day and the reason I still pick up a controller at all.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Dancing Mad is the GOAT RPG boss theme. One of my favorite game ever. Terra's Theme and many others are so iconic.

Trogdor1123

I’ve beaten this game only 3 or 4 times but played up to the end dozens. It’s my favorite game of all time. Just a masterpiece

WoJ

IV has always been my favorite but there is no denying how great VI is. I wouldn't be opposed to a remake.

Mr Hyde

Final Fantasy 6 is great but it's not my favorite. It has a very lovable cast of characters and the story is very good and compelling. My main gripe with the game is World of Ruin. It's not as fun as the first part. But it's clear that this was the game that really took the FF-brand to new heights, which then continued with a victory lap of three classic FF on PSX. Congratulations on 30 years 🎉

Angelcurio

I still dream of the day that we finally get a remake with this level of graphics. If anything, FF7 remake showed us that it is finally possible.

As a bonus, i really like this anime version of FF VI Characters:

Rran

FFVI is the Les Miserables of video games. Maybe it's my nostalgia talking, but I don't think I'll ever play a game that hits me on the same level as this one.

Muffdraul

It was the North American release in Oct 1994 when I became an FF fanboy. My first FF was actually FFIV in 1992. I had just bought an SNES and an old friend recommended "Final Fantasy 2" because it was "just like D&D." He didn't elaborate and the game I played turned out to be like the complete opposite of what I imagined, i.e. creating my own unique party of characters from scratch, wandering the world at will, going from village to village looking for NPCs offering quests I could accept or reject as I saw fit. It took me months to finish it, and I hated it. Two years later I was on the internet thanks to my job and hanging out on my first gaming forum. A BBS hosted by some university in Europe, but almost everyone posting on it was American. Anyway it was those people who badgered me into playing FFVI, promising me that it was "way way way better than FFIV." I literally played FFVI just to get them off my back, rented it from Blockbuster. After my first play session I ran over to Toys R Us and bought it so I could have my own save files and had to play the first 6 hours or so all over again. Didn't mind that one bit. Still one of my favorite games of all time. I can never really firmly decide if VI or VII is my all time #1 favorite FF.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Time to dust-off my GBA micro and insert that cartridge again ..
As FF6 didn´t release in Europe, my first contact was over ZSNES. I was blown away and love every part of this game.

Mitsurux

While I had dabbled with RPGs prior, it was FFIII (VI) that just blew me away with what was possible in the Genre. The Story, music, battle system, characters, graphics were just amazing. The game just kept opening up more and more as you went through it, getting the airship, world of ruin, secret party members etc. Just a fantastic game.

Final Fantasy 6 is great but it's not my favorite. It has a very lovable cast of characters and the story is very good and compelling. My main gripe with the game is World of Ruin. It's not as fun as the first part. But it's clear that this was the game that really took the FF-brand to new heights, which then continued with a victory lap of three classic FF on PSX. Congratulations on 30 years 🎉

The only one on the PS1 that could hold a candle was 9.

StereoVsn

This is probably my 2nd favorite FF behind FFVII with IX and Remake/Rebirth close behind.

I do wish it could get 2.5D treatment ala Star Ocean 2R. No need for full on Remake.

Top Bottom