• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Cafes are Opening in Tokyo and Osaka to Celebrate Remake

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

ff-1-1.png

ff-2-1.png

This is where the majority of Tokyo men will be spending their time and not getting their gun off with a hot Japanese waifu.

Birdo

Banned
I was expecting it to be a mock up of Wall Market or something. But nope, just stick some posters up, that will do it.

Can you say lazy AF? Jesus.

At least when MS tried to popularize Xbox over there they put in someHerculean effort into their cafe designs.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

ff-1-1.png

ff-2-1.png

Boy, hearing the Square Enix cafe defined an "awesome place to eat" is a bit surreal, even if I should remember that SoraNews24 is mostly for the lulz and not exactly for accurate reporting.

It's an awesome place to grab some merch if you're so incluined, but the food is really mediocre compared to basically anything you can find in Akihabara, including the Final Fantasy XIV cafe.

I was expecting it to be a mock up of Wall Market or something. But nope, just stick some posters up, that will do it.

Yeah, the generic Square Enix cafes are nothing special even in terms of decorations, because branding for a new game happens every few months, so you get posters, somewhat themed menus, and luncheon mats/coasters to collect by ordering overpriced food.

Pretty literally the only ones worth visiting are the Final Fantasy XIV cafe, which is permanently dedicated to FFXIV so it has great decor and atmosphere, and Artnia, because of its crystal gallery. Incidentally (while it was missed in this article for some reason), Artnia is getting a FFVII makeover too for the occasion, so it's a much better place to go, especially if you're a tourist and want to see Square Enix's headquarters with your own eyes since it's right in front of the building where the main development teams are.

Last edited:

n0razi

Yeah these look pretty low effort IMHO. I was expecting something more in line with the Zombie Burger King Promo

burger-king-japan-ghost-whopper-zombie-store-shibuya-tokyo-japanese-burgers-fast-food-halloween-limited-5.jpg

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yeah these look pretty low effort IMHO. I was expecting something more in line with the Zombie Burger King Promo

burger-king-japan-ghost-whopper-zombie-store-shibuya-tokyo-japanese-burgers-fast-food-halloween-limited-5.jpg

You want higher effort? The Tokyo Skytree event is a LOT better.
(sorry for the self-post, but I'm guessing it's relevant to the topic)

If it's similar to the Kingdom Hearts III one, it's gonna be pretty cool. Only drawback, the tickets to go to the top of Skytree to see the event are basically armed robbery in terms of pricing.

They're also chartering a train on the Yamanote line for a semi-limited event.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Any weebs in here?

I thought video game themed pop up restaurants where pretty common there.

They only last a couple of months and have weird meals looking like the game etc.

Mostly influencers go there.
And insta thots.

The cues are huge too.

Last edited:

n0razi

You want higher effort? The Tokyo Skytree event is a LOT better.
(sorry for the self-post, but I'm guessing it's relevant to the topic)

That's honestly not that impressive either.... I mean yeah its cool that you are in glass tower but that really has little to do with FF7. The only FF7 stuff I am seeing is vinyl posters and cardboard figure cutouts. Like the post above yours, something like an actual bar stylized into 7th Heaven... you know like actual wood and metal, steam-punk furniture would be cool.

Final-Fantasy-VII-Skytree-in-Midgar-6.jpg

Final-Fantasy-VII-Skytree-in-Midgar-4.jpg

They could have stylized the interior of the "Skytree" feel more like you are in Shinra HQ instead of a generic modern skyscraper in Tokyo.

ffvii-shinra-symmetry-composition.png

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
That's honestly not that impressive either.... I mean yeah its cool that you are in glass tower but that really has little to do with FF7.

I wouldn't know. Even simply illuminating a 634 meters tower with the color of mako looks a lot cooler than some posters in a cafe to me. Skytree is hardly a "generic modern skyscraper." It's gonna be quite the sight, and I'm certainly going since I'm going to be in Tokyo again in March.

The pictures don't do it justice, to be honest. The KH3 event had a similar setup, and it was very cool, even simply because of size and scope of the decoration, the memorabilia on display, and there was an interactive thing, which has also been announced for this one.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Any weebs in here?

I thought video game themed pop up restaurants where pretty common there.

They only last a couple of months and have weird meals looking like the game etc.

Mostly influencers go there.
And insta thots.

The cues are huge too.

They are pretty common, but they're not really something mostly influencers go to. Lots of people go. Square Enix's cafes are fully booked for the whole day by noon quite often.

Top Bottom