• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth: journey through the world outside of Midgar will be with a "high degree of freedom" (Tweet 2)

Go_Ly_Dow

FxsyvGjaAAIbszy

Tweet 1 yesterday:
FxoQvG5WIAI2iCd

Tweet 3 4th June:

Interestingly, 5 more days to Summer Games Fest, so assuming 5 more tweets (7 in total), we may get the 1st proper trailer and release date soon.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

FxsyvGjaAAIbszy

Tweet 1 yesterday:
FxoQvG5WIAI2iCd

Interestingly, 5 more days to Summer Games Fest, so assuming 5 more tweets (7 in total), we may get the 1st proper trailer and release date soon.

I'd be shocked if we got a trailer

Why wouldnt Square do it at the Playstation showcase? they needed it

YukiOnna

I guess it will be at Geoff's SGF then. Cool.
I hope that comment means we're getting playable Zack side.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This gives some hope that it’s not a linear experience and that if it doesn’t have an open world it’s a collection of large interconnected areas. It needs that if it’s to truly capture the experience of FF7.

jm89

Really want to see the highwind being introduced.

Will also be interesting to see how they implement the world if they do introduce it.

It's one of those games i wouldn't care much if they did leave the world in between towns empty, as there was so much going on in those towns. That's assuming they actually do that.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I'd be shocked if we got a trailer

Why wouldnt Square do it at the Playstation showcase? they needed it
Me guessing this last showcase turned into a leftovers-showcase - taking most of the b-tier showings for this and last year, leaving them with the potential of an a-tier showcase later this year or next year.

Rebirth trailer might be a summer game fest thing, or a game awards thing or next ps showcase.

Last edited:

Pallas

This gives some hope that it’s not a linear experience and that if it doesn’t have an open world it’s a collection of large interconnected areas. It needs that if it’s to truly capture the experience of FF7.
Something akin to like what they did with Star Ocean 3? But on a more massive scale …

Sony left out their heavy hitters from the PlayStation Showcase. Could it have been a concious decision to do so to reveal those games at the Summer Gamefest knowing that audiences from all platforms will be watching that vs mostly sony fans watching their own showcase?

I know Geoff is downplaying the hype of summer gamefest but they are streaming it IN THE FREAKIN THEATERS! Last event I saw in theaters was Sonys 2015 E3 EVERYONES DREAMS CAME TRUE conference.

And Geoff knew a year ago he would have gamesfest but I doubt Sony knew of their showcase yet so he may have secured the first reveals before Sony scheduled it for their showcase.

So I think FF 7 is a lock to be shown here amongst other heavy hitters.

Could be edgy and make a negative comment but I'll wait for what they show. I have little faith on them cramming as much as they can in though and it not being linear as fuck.

Gambit2483

Sony left out their heavy hitters from the PlayStation Showcase. Could it have been a concious decision to do so to reveal those games at the Summer Gamefest knowing that audiences from all platforms will be watching that vs mostly sony fans watching their own showcase?

I know Geoff is downplaying the hype of summer gamefest but they are streaming it IN THE FREAKIN THEATERS! Last event I saw in theaters was Sonys 2015 E3 EVERYONES DREAMS CAME TRUE conference.

And Geoff knew a year ago he would have gamesfest but I doubt Sony knew of their showcase yet so he may have secured the first reveals before Sony scheduled it for their showcase.

So I think FF 7 is a lock to be shown here amongst other heavy hitters.

Pretty sure SE just wants to wait until after FF16 drops before focusing on FF7 Rebirth.

Expect to hear much more about FF7 Rebirth after the month of July....

Bkdk

Good, 7 remake is too linear, rebirth seems to be completely different from 16 gameplay and character design wise, I’m looking for rebirth way more and planning to skip 16 and just wait till the pc version at least.

reksveks

Did it last year. Keighley has the Imax connections.

I hope they go the route the PS1 game did with discs. Put 95% of the remaining story in Rebirth, then the last game is just the end dungeon and a super long CG ending.

Go_Ly_Dow

Did they comment about party level reset? Are we really going to start from level 6 again with everything stripped out?
This will be interesting how its handled. I'm going to guess they'll have Yuffie steal the high level materia/equipmment or something. So that'll be gone, but they'll probably keep certain abilities or refresh the combat so it still feels the characters have progressed strength wise, if that makes sense.

Ansphn

This is already pre-ordered the day I'm able to..As long as Square-Enix continue to release FF big budget games, I'm there Day 1 for any of them.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Seems like the game will be much more open. I dont expect a full open world, as that would be too much work for them. But maybe multiple open zones like ffxvi. Hopefully moving a way from the hallways and crawl spaces of the first game

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This will be interesting how its handled. I'm going to guess they'll have Yuffie steal the high level materia/equipmment or something. So that'll be gone, but they'll probably keep certain abilities or refresh the combat so it still feels the characters have progressed strength wise, if that makes sense.
I mean the way how TotK handled it (in my opinion) was great. I just want it to make sense in the context of the story.

Go_Ly_Dow

I mean the way how TotK handled it (in my opinion) was great. I just want it to make sense in the context of the story.
Story wise with the Yuffie angle they have the perfect context for losing equipment lol.

Hypothetical, the group is asleep at the inn in Kalm. They wake up and find there belongings have been stolen. Later when you encounter Yuffie you find out she's lost it, or perhaps you have to hunt down her and the equipment as you progress.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would imagine we start at level 50 or they could do something as .hack series and let you transfer your saves.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Sorry, but the way they enfatized "HIGH DEGREE OF FREEDOM" and "MYRIAD OF DIFFERENT STORIES" just feels too cheap to take it seriously.

That's like those bad ads you see around.

buzz buzz buzz words

Honey Bee Loop GIF by Kev Lavery

Last edited:

ZehDon

With Part 1, I found basically everything off the main story path to be a chore. The key story elements from the original were pretty great, but everything else bogged it down. I hope they've figured out how to do proper side quests if that's going to from a large part of the next episode.

Go_Ly_Dow

With Part 1, I found basically everything off the main story path to be a chore. The key story elements from the original were pretty great, but everything else bogged it down. I hope they've figured out how to do proper side quests if that's going to from a large part of the next episode.
With sidequests they would be better of making fewer of them, but so they are longer with a properly self contained story that is meaningful.

When it comes to time fillers, I've always enjoyed treasure finding for example like the ones you get on Uncharted to fetch quests. At least there's fun in searching every corner of the map and the subsequent reward.

Top Bottom