• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth: journey through the world outside of Midgar will be with a "high degree of freedom" (Tweet 2)

Elios83

Really curious to see how they're going to handle the traveling and world map.
Based on the comments it's clear it won't be linear like the first game.
I think either they go wide-area with minimal loadings and in this way the can keep the overall graphical quality coherent or they'll have to use a more stylized map.
Given these updates through twitter I think it's likely we'll get a new trailer between now and September.

Ar¢tos

I only played the original when it released for the PS1 so I don't remember, where did cd 1 and cd 2 end in the story?
I have the impression that we got to the open world part on the 1st cd.

FeralEcho

Me guessing this last showcase turned into a leftovers-showcase - taking most of the b-tier showings for this and last year, leaving them with the potential of an a-tier showcase later this year or next year.

Rebirth trailer might be a summer game fest thing, or a game awards thing or next ps showcase.
It's the sonic cycle all over again lmao when will you guys learn.

Every single time there's a shit showcase you are all like "ahhh but they MUST have saved the big stuff for the next event" Last event Sony did was 2 fucking years ago,and everyone and their mother could've swore that this showcase will rival the 2015/2016 e3 with banger after banger.Instead it was fart after fart which îs quite fitting since they wanted to go all in on the gaaaaaaas.

GenericUser

After how utterly bad the first part of the remake turned out, at least in terms of story and atmopshere, I have really low expectiations for the next game. Having not enough freedom is really the smallest of FF7 remakes problems.

Go_Ly_Dow

Every single time there's a shit showcase you are all like "ahhh but they MUST have saved the big stuff for the next event" Last event Sony did was 2 fucking years ago,and everyone and their mother could've swore that this showcase will rival the 2015/2016 e3 with banger after banger.Instead it was fart after fart which îs quite fitting since they wanted to go all in on the gaaaaaaas.
Sony's marketing is definitely more unpredictable these days. I think the latest showcase was a lesson for me to lower expectations for just a singular event lol. Instead looking at the bigger picture which is that game companies these days will spread out news and announcements.

K2D

Banned

As a gamer in general, I was expecting the showcase would have more gameplay and new AAA single player announcements, and there's room to dream as well. I don't hope for or gloat over bad conferences. Hope Xbox does better.

I can't speak for other games but FF7 Rebirth is being heavily hinted to be there. They are literally posting these vague answer posts day after day leading up to SGF.

Square's Senior Influencer Relations Manager liked this post that directly mentions these teases are leading to the event. It's pretty much happening we just need the confirmation in the final post that lines up on the 8th.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

ezgif-4-dcb4c9e382sucdy.gif

Phew, glad they made preparations ..

4 tweets now. It's happening folks, 3 more tweets, 7 in total. Release date and a big sexy trailer delivered by Doritos Pope.

We'll be playing this in about 6 months. :pie_raybans:
Really hoping we see the high level of freedom when it comes to traveling this wide and multifaceted world they speak of.

It'd be so hype if they give us a glimpse of Chocobo riding and the buggy.

Go_Ly_Dow

Really hoping we see the high level of freedom when it comes to traveling this wide and multifaceted world they speak of.

It'd be so hype if they give us a glimpse of Chocobo riding and the buggy.
The big question for me is, how the hell are they gonna handle Cait Sith?! I recall them saying the moogle suit is in. :eek:

The big question for me is, how the hell are they gonna handle Cait Sith?! I recall them saying the moogle suit is in. :eek:
Yeah the designer of that character worked on him for part 1 but realized he wasn't gonna be used in that one. It's gonna be weird haha.

Also, is Vincent gonna give us some XVI vibes? Dante style? lol

Fbh

Good.

But hopefully that means the areas are not only big but you can actually move through them seamlessly, unlike the first game which is basically a bunch fo tiny areas interconnected by forced walking loading sequences

What's Ever Crisis?

It's another chance at a remake more in the style of the OG game but it'll eventually cover EVERY FF7 related title even Advent children. It's pretty neat. Unfortunately it's mobile....for now.
Because that was showing FF16. The next mainline one. Longshot but Ff7 Rebirth could be at MS' showcase or summer gamefest.
Not a longshot at all. Id say one of the more surefire things. they are very clearly doing a build to SGF where I'd assume they are dropping a big trailer for it and ever crisis.

Last edited:
I admit that looks cool

This was the most recent trailer for it that we got.

They will be doing : Crisis Core, FF7, Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children and even first soldier which tackles a younger sephiroth.

I'm sure they are streamlined versions of those games particularly FF7 but still really neat. Probably one of the few mobile games I'd actually WANT to play.

Last edited:
after the ending of FF7R, it’s hard for me to get excited for the part 2.
I felt the opposite. Whispers gone, the mission got back on track with the OG game of hunting down sephiroth, intermission shows they are heading to Kalm which is how the OG handles it...

Everything seems to have gotten back to where it needs to be.

saintjules

4 tweets now. It's happening folks, 3 more tweets, 7 in total. Release date and a big sexy trailer delivered by Doritos Pope.

We'll be playing this in about 6 months. :pie_raybans:

I still have a hard time believing we're getting two major FFs in the same year. I believe FF7 Rebirth is March 2024.

Last edited:
I still have a hard time believing we're getting two major FFs in the same year. I believe FF7 Rebirth is March 2024.
They said winter they didn't really specify a year. So it was probably always planned for maybe Jan - March for them.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Seems S-E have sorted out a solid development pipeline these days working with 3rd party companies to outsource the grunt work and for the in house staff to handle the important staff, like game design, artistic decisions, combat, music, technology etc.

Biggest problem with FF remains that each game looks to reinvent the wheel and start from 0, so they need a lot of time for pre-production to create new ideas, systems and then test them. The games would come a lot quicker if there was a natural evolution from each title, but then I think some fans would revolt as always with FF. Too difficult to satisfy the wide range of demands people have of the series.

Last edited:
I hope Rebirth will be much better than the Remake.
Seems like an easy task.

No more whispers, a massive game with lots of locations compared to just midgar, gold saucer, potentially way darker, more variety.

FF7R you have to consider was a 3-4 hour location made into a 30 hour game. The fact that they got an 87-89 metacritic score despite that is an incredible feat. Now imagine when they have the whole world to work with rather than one location.

twinspectre

Seems like an easy task.

No more whispers, a massive game with lots of locations compared to just midgar, gold saucer, potentially way darker, more variety.

FF7R you have to consider was a 3-4 hour location made into a 30 hour game. The fact that they got an 87-89 metacritic score despite that is an incredible feat. Now imagine when they have the whole world to work with rather than one location.
I'm still positive, lol.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I wish to be proven wrong, but if Ff7R 1 is anything to go by, I dont trust SE to make good decisions regarding the games.
I mean you didn’t liked FFVIIR then I highly doubt you gonna like this game since it’s direct sequel.

Top Bottom