• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Boneless

Are you really nit picking rest points that you don’t have to use?

1/3rd of this thread are people bitching about shit they don‘t have to do but because they have varying issues of collectathon or OCD tendencies….

It's just dumb game design which would've been easy to fix.

"rest points you don't have to use" is a silly statement, it's a restpoint that will recover my hp/mp, of course I will use it, the sitting down animation is just dumb, they could've easily made it an item or something instant.

taylor34

Neo Member
I've played a few hours, and so far I don't like it nearly as much as the last one, or even 16. I find the open world kind of 'meh' and is just padding the game with excessive traveling for no reason. So much so that I dropped it to go back to Octopath Traveler 2 for a while. I'll come back to it but was kind of surprised how much it didn't grab me like the last one. Feels too much like an Ubisoft game, only much worse open world. The mountains at the beginning are so annoying, giant world but you're funneled down a narrow path, kind of defeats the purpose.

Just finished chapter 13, the longest chapter so far and so much gameplay meat and cutscene deserts, this game keeps you fed! It's boggling how much content is in this, the earlier chapters feel like they were a lifetime ago. Honestly can't complain about next-gen prices when I've enjoyed almost every of the 80 hours I've spent so far in the game.

Amazed by the cutscene direction and model quality when it counts, they knew if they were going to recreate FF7, the original FMV clips were seen as the gameplay "reward" back in the PSX era, and having near-CGI movie quality cutscenes sometimes for 10+ minutes delivers that same reward to modern audiences.

Game of the year for sure.

Last edited:

Synless

It's just dumb game design which would've been easy to fix.

"rest points you don't have to use" is a silly statement, it's a restpoint that will recover my hp/mp, of course I will use it, the sitting down animation is just dumb, they could've easily made it an item or something instant.
I agree with your newer statement, the original reads different.

Zelduh

I've played a few hours, and so far I don't like it nearly as much as the last one, or even 16. I find the open world kind of 'meh' and is just padding the game with excessive traveling for no reason. So much so that I dropped it to go back to Octopath Traveler 2 for a while. I'll come back to it but was kind of surprised how much it didn't grab me like the last one. Feels too much like an Ubisoft game, only much worse open world. The mountains at the beginning are so annoying, giant world but you're funneled down a narrow path, kind of defeats the purpose.

You're already complaining about the open world when you're in the demo flashback? ("the mountains"?) lmao. Obviously a flashback sequence isn't going to let you explore the whole world

Go_Ly_Dow

On chapter 11 and with each bit of progress I keep thinking this is the most special game world I'll ever experience.

Combo of the story, these characters, seeing every location reimagined to this standard and level of detail and with the epic versions of iconic themes like Cosmo Canyon or Anxious Heart and it's very surreal. Once in a lifetime kind of gaming experience.

God speed with the final part Hamaguchi, Nomura, Kitase and co.

Last edited:

Boneless

Being forced to play tifa and it reminded me how OP her Chi Trap is holy shit. Maybe I have to give her a spot in my core team..

Tomeru

I'm just about finishing cosmo canyon, and I've made up my mind about this game:

As a game, I hate it. It has so many useless activities that are artificially stretched out with no good reason. Feels like 90% filler throughout. I love the story though, but I don't ever want to play a game like this again. Give me back my (so far) 50 hours of play and let me do only story missions.

How much further do I have?

I just got to Nibelheim and 100%'d the region, got Odin (that fight was pretty tough even on the easiest setting....I think I won by pure luck).

BTW - This Synergy Materia is insane - what are yall pairing it with? So far I am doing Comet.
I'm a little bit a head of you so don't know for sure but I would say a big chunk left.

The game about to open up...again.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I'm just about finishing cosmo canyon, and I've made up my mind about this game:

As a game, I hate it. It has so many useless activities that are artificially stretched out with no good reason. Feels like 90% filler throughout. I love the story though, but I don't ever want to play a game like this again. Give me back my (so far) 50 hours of play and let me do only story missions.

All that "filler" is side content. You can easily ignore it and never have to do it. Even the times you are "forced" to do a minigame have options to outright skip it, such as the boat segment.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
A bit into the Junon Intel activities. Met a certain mercenary up on a cliff , went spelunking for a mako Crystal, and stumbled upon a town named after Final Fantasy XV's diners, so that's a thing!

Really picking up QB now. Enjoying the shit out of the scenery. Swimming through Ship graveyards and climbing mountains and scaling towers. It's perfect, lmao.

violence

There’s definitely worse games that have side content bloat. Certain Ubisoft games, probably Witcher 3. Trying to finish all the icons is probably the reason I put down Witcher 3. Its best to “suspend your ADD” if you will.

Last edited:
Hey guys I ran into a quest breaking glitch for the "ultimate party animal" quest.

It was fixable after some research but unpleasant to do so. It's possible to get stuck in the VR bike challenge part of the quest with the current patch. Maybe make a few different saves if you are near that part of the game. The issue is the quest will not update when you beat your opponent's score and the solution is to uninstall the game, disconnect from the internet, reinstall the game (takes forever) and then the quest will work properly and update. Then you can get the latest patch again.

Boom! 💥 All done! Tough sucker!

H8Mcosi.jpg
I was going to try for it but I just started my first BG3 play through. After I finish BG3 and DD2, I might try to get it.

Neolombax

I just started Chapter 11, clocking in at 75hrs now. This game is super long, and its packed with content for sure. Love the story so far, some bits had me lost (like the Gi and why anyone else doesn't think Cloud is a nutcase). I'm starting to feel like rushing through the story just to see what happens, and the the side stuff is starting to feel like a burden. But I just cannot leave them uncompleted before the chapter ends, its just how my brain is wired. Hence, it has become somewhat a chore to get through. The side quests follow a very strict structure from region to region, and it gets bigger and bigger with every chapter. Thankfully the biomes are very fun to experience and the enemy variety is good while I slog through the content.

Taking a short break from the game before I start resenting it. I've seen comparisons to FF16, and I gotta say, as amazing as FF7 Rebirth is, the high's in FF16 are way more exciting than anything in Rebirth. Earlier this year I completed Granblue Fantasy Relink. I think at this age, I like more of that kind of RPG. Its not too long (~20hrs of story content), but has a sort of fun grind post game. Not sure what is the sweet spot for game length for me theses days, I think maybe around 40ish hours.

Doomtrain

I disagree with the notion that it's okay for side content to be fluff since it's optional. Side content is part of the DNA of an RPG. Getting to a new area and choosing whether to beeline through the critical path *or* stick around, gear up your party, explore, do optional quests, etc., is part of what makes the genre compelling. Regardless of whether or not that content is technically "optional", it's part of the game (and if we're splitting that particular hair, playing the game is, in and of itself, optional). In the OG FFVII, getting Vincent or Yuffie is optional. Shinra Manor is optional. Several of the Weapons are optional, and there are optional side dungeons. Entire towns, like Wutai, are optional. All of these things are interesting and meaningful, and they all tie directly into the core game mechanics. I love that there are these interesting, surprising things littered around the world that curious players can stumble across, but that other players will miss. It makes the decision of whether to sprint through the main story or hang out and explore feel meaningful. The game would be lesser without those experiences, and it would be lesser without the choice, surprise, and sense of adventure inherent in discovering them.

Tomeru

All that "filler" is side content. You can easily ignore it and never have to do it. Even the times you are "forced" to do a minigame have options to outright skip it, such as the boat segment.
Really? I cdn do main quest only of easy and I wont be underpowered for boss fights?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
How about

Costa del Sol

Where you are forced to do mini games so you can move on with the story? You HAVE to get tickets for clothing items otherwise you cannot move the story on. Least not to my knowledge.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Seeing a ton of you say slow and bloated, and all i can think of is you all have ADHD.

Sit down, enjoy the heart, soul, and charm of every single region in this game.

I guess this is the internet generation, it's like people who can't just lie i the sun or watch the ocean waves crash against the shore. It's not a chore when it's beautiful and symbolic and meaningful and world building.
No. The game is just bloated with shit. 70 hours it took me and I was skipping a ton of stuff in 2nd half of the game because it was bad.
Repetitive open world activities, overlong delays before you can more after too long animations like chadley calls.
The game is like a big with 5 extra rib cages but no more meat.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People consume videogames like junkfood these days, they just want to consume it quickly while the hypetrain is still going so they can move on to the next hype bandwagon to jump on and consume and feel like they're part of their favorite celebrity streamer's current paradigm
The only junk food here is the open world filler and terrible mini games which I have to pretend are fun because they are games writhing games?!!! What is this 2001?! I don’t care. I want the story. I gave the game all my time. I gave it so much time I didn’t had a will to start it again the next day

No. The game is just bloated with shit. 70 hours it took me and I was skipping a ton of stuff in 2nd half of the game because it was bad.
Repetitive open world activities, overlong delays before you can more after too long animations like chadley calls.
The game is like a big with 5 extra rib cages but no more meat.

I’d take all of the side content over a minute of Forespoken. I couldn’t make it through the demo

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And be under levelled and don’t have a chocobo and dont have good summons and don’t go on good date. Sadly the filler is a must to some degree

And be under levelled and don’t have a chocobo and dont have good summons and don’t go on good date. Sadly the filler is a must to some degree
You definitely won't end up under leveled. Summons are really not good at all in Remake/Rebirth. Or even the real FF VII either honestly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’d take all of the side content over a minute of Forespoken. I couldn’t make it through the demo
Because the demo was not great. It puts you in the middle of nothing.
Forspoken is 30 hours long and it’s got some filler too but it as much. There are no mini games for 5th kids at least. And the towers which are in forspoken are waaaay better. You get up to it, don’t climb it, press a button and all is revealed.
Here you get to a tower, fight tower mobs, get on it slowly because animations are slow, do the button stuff and chadley crap, reveal 1 hunt location

DeVeAn

I keep putting off playing this because I’m not happy with either mode. Graphics looks good, but way too choppy when turning the camera. Performance mode sharp and smooth way too blurry movement but feels much better to play. Bummed out man.

Killjoy-NL

A lot of the story is filler as well. Like 40% could easily have been left out.
Those sections made the game quite a drag.

Game is a 9/10 for me personally, but I definitely have a lot of pet-peeves that would make it sound like a 6/10.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

Because the demo was not great. It puts you in the middle of nothing.
Forspoken is 30 hours long and it’s got some filler too but it as much. There are no mini games for 5th kids at least. And the towers which are in forspoken are waaaay better. You get up to it, don’t climb it, press a button and all is revealed.
Here you get to a tower, fight tower mobs, get on it slowly because animations are slow, do the button stuff and chadley crap, reveal 1 hunt location
Forspoken has a lot of filler too, but the movement and the parkour feel excellent. It's a very flawed game, but it's also much better than the discourse surrounding it would suggest. And it actually lets you play the game on the cover without pulling you away every five minutes to play unrelated minigames, which is cool.

Psychostar

Just finished chapter 13, the longest chapter so far and so much gameplay meat and cutscene deserts, this game keeps you fed! It's boggling how much content is in this, the earlier chapters feel like they were a lifetime ago. Honestly can't complain about next-gen prices when I've enjoyed almost every of the 80 hours I've spent so far in the game.

Amazed by the cutscene direction and model quality when it counts, they knew if they were going to recreate FF7, the original FMV clips were seen as the gameplay "reward" back in the PSX era, and having near-CGI movie quality cutscenes sometimes for 10+ minutes delivers that same reward to modern audiences.

Game of the year for sure.
Haha, I really felt this watching the credits roll. This game was absolutely huge and I'm grateful for that as I love the source material and any extra moments with the characters was such a joy to play through.
The last few chapters played out so well!

Reactions: Dis

Psychostar

Forspoken has a lot of filler too, but the movement and the parkour feel excellent. It's a very flawed game, but it's also much better than the discourse surrounding it would suggest. And it actually lets you play the game on the cover without pulling you away every five minutes to play unrelated minigames, which is cool.
I don't get your complaints with the game honestly. I clocked in 200 hours so far and I don't feel like the game is lacking. If the minigames are your issue, all you have to do is skip them? If all you want to do is follow the story and kill shit, there is plenty of that to do. If you want to exclusively just kill shit, the challenge is absolutely there even if you play on journalist level for the endgame challenges.

A lot of the story is filler as well. Like 40% could easily have been left out.
Those sections made the game quite a drag.

Game is a 9/10 for me personally, but I definitely have a lot of pet-peeves that would make it sound like a 6/10.
We might not be talking about the same parts but to me the "filler" or "non-essential" story like Red's card tournament entrance or cloud and the girls cosplaying as shinra troops and doing marching drills is the fun, enjoyable "good" parts of the story, where the characters bounce off each other and have great moments. The main core story is less interesting and even eye rolling, especially when it's Sephiroth appearing to smirk and be unreachable and spooky while everyone chases cloaked bros

I also really love the game but have complaints about parts of it. It's very clear from the back forth in the thread however, that one man's content rich optional gameplay variety is another man's bloated time wasting filler

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
How about

Costa del Sol

Where you are forced to do mini games so you can move on with the story? You HAVE to get tickets for clothing items otherwise you cannot move the story on. Least not to my knowledge.
Easily the part I hated the most so far. I’m about to use the rope way to the Golden Saucer.

I don't get your complaints with the game honestly. I clocked in 200 hours so far and I don't feel like the game is lacking. If the minigames are your issue, all you have to do is skip them? If all you want to do is follow the story and kill shit, there is plenty of that to do. If you want to exclusively just kill shit, the challenge is absolutely there even if you play on journalist level for the endgame challenges.
It's also good to remember you can set the game's difficulty to easy mode just for the minigames and it makes minigames easier then set it back to normal again after you finish the mingame

Killjoy-NL

We might not be talking about the same parts but to me the "filler" or "non-essential" story like Red's card tournament entrance or cloud and the girls cosplaying as shinra troops and doing marching drills is the fun, enjoyable "good" parts of the story, where the characters bounce off each other and have great moments. The main core story is less interesting and even eye rolling, especially when it's Sephiroth appearing to smirk and be unreachable and spooky while everyone chases cloaked bros
Well, the cosplaying shinra troop part was in the original.

The whole forced card game segments are unnecessary.

Same as the Zack and Biggs sections and Temple of the Ancients trials, which were just padding, imo.

I also really love the game but have complaints about parts of it. It's very clear from the back forth in the thread however, that one man's content rich optional gameplay variety is another man's bloated time wasting filler
I guess this will always be the case, but they should've streamlined the main story and made lots of main story sections as optional, or easter eggs.

Just_one

any tips on the condor mini game? the one thats like fort condor (that one i did with a guide but cant find anything for this one)

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
The game is easy. Haven’t felt the need to use a single summon on any encounter aside from a handful of optional ones for doing side content. Every main narrative boss up though 13 so far has been very easy and one attempt fights.

The Chocobo just helps do side content faster and reach places for side content you couldn’t reach without it.

The Date does not matter.

How about

Costa del Sol

Iirc, you have to two one minigame as cloud and two mini games total as the girls. Shouldn’t take more than 5 min.

Top Bottom