• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.
Man, this game. I played through the opening again, I didn't skip it (after playing the demo) because fuck it, I love the story and wanted the full experience from start to finish. I still can't believe it's finally here and I'm playing it. Got to Kalm and it looks amazing and I'm already loving Queens Blood. I can see me spending a hell of a lot of time doing everything in this game lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
If performance mode is actually worse since their patch, has anyone tweeted the account again to see if they are looking into it? They were pretty receptive to the 1st complaints about the demo and fixed that rather quick.....

Krathoon

This is the first game that I had to free up space on the SSD for.

I guess I am going to have to get an external drive to backup games. You can do that with a PS5, right?

Flabagast

I'm so bad at it lol. I spent like 2 hours trying to beat this one person and said fuck it and continued the main story.
At first you must try to expand into the board as much as possible, and keeping empty cases in the left that the opponent is unable to reach for the end game

Last edited:

SCB3

So I finally after 3 hours got to Chadley and the Combat Sims.....

This is gonna be a long but great time isn't it

Also Queens blood is pretty fun, I could sink some time into this

ebevan91

Ignore your starting zones. Built out all the way right as far as you can and build a wall as deep in their territory as you can. That’s been my strategy

This is what I've been trying to do. The most I can do is 3 spaces out in 1 row and the opponent gets 3 in the other rows.

LordCBH

This is what I've been trying to do. The most I can do is 3 spaces out in 1 row and the opponent gets 3 in the other rows.

When the opponent puts a card in the top row I’ll prioritize that one. Usually by that point I’ll have one row thsts really far across and can then start filling in closer to my side, and save some spots for cards that upgrade other cards power too

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm surprised that they touched upon a late game plot point so early.

The "cloud wasn't actually at Neibleheim, from Tifa. I thought they would maybe try to drag it till later in the game when Cloud revisits Neibleheim

Yes, people who have played the original would know this, but for new players, it's revealing a late game spoiler pretty early.

Last edited:

Belthazar

As much as I loved FFXVI, the only thing the side quests really had going for them were the writing and adding to the lore/feel of the world.

FFVII Rebirth, so far at least, has that aspect where even the mediocre side quests help expand the world/characters and motivations, but also are just more engaging to do with varied objectives, unique bosses/enemies, and some puzzle aspects at times.

It definitely feels like they took the criticisms from FFVII Remake and improved on just about everything, even if I didn't really consider them "negatives" personally.

Really the only criticism I have of the game so far is the odd texture quality. A few patches should fix that up though.

IMO they weren't lying when they said they took inspiration from The Witcher 3 with the side content. Just like TW3 a lot of the times the tasks themselves are really mundane and just require going places, killing monsters and collecting things, but the writing helps a lot with it all feeling worth it.

Krathoon

It would be hilarious if the game did spiral off into some kind of elaborate fan fiction, but I am sure they will reign it in.

jorgejjvr

Yes, unless you own the game digitally, disc 2 will need to be in the tray all the time.

Did you skip the first part ? Legit question, it's a direct story continuation from where the first game (and Intergrades ending) left off.
I played the 1st one, just not integrade or crisis core. It seemed like a weird flash forward, but maybe im not reading into it right

I never played the original ff7

Last edited:

LordCBH

OQcNxPw.jpg

Madflavor

Gold Member
Just needed to say I was completely wrong in my prediction that the Side Quests would be dull. Square actually managed to put good side quest design in their game. Each side quest offers world building, good storytelling, banter with your companion, and worthwhile rewards.

But one prediction I had that definitely seems to be coming true, was how bad of a light this game would shine on FFXVI. I know this isn't a "Let's Shit on FFXVI" thread, but it's hard not to draw comparisons when both these Final Fantasy games released within a year of each other.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Just needed to say I was completely wrong in my prediction that the Side Quests would be dull. Square actually managed to put good side quest design in their game. Each side quest offers world building, good storytelling, banter with your companion, and worthwhile rewards.

But one prediction I had that definitely seems to be coming true, was how bad of a light this game would shine on FFXVI. I know this isn't a "Let's Shit on FFXVI" thread, but it's hard not to draw comparisons when both these Final Fantasy games released within a year of each other.

I knew by pre-release on XVI that Rebirth would trump it. They mentioned development time in interviews, even being so coy at one point to say something along the lines of "Given our dev time, the world in XVI is large. If we had ten years to work on it like some people, we could pull off a traditional open world,"

^ that always seemed like a Rebirth hint to me.

With each new area and boss I come across (that was in the original) I think to myself that *this* is what the devs had envisioned in their mind when it first released but the technology of the day simply couldn't fulfill the ambition. Well, the time is now and it's a glorious thing to behold.

Good to hear. I haven't done many of the side quest yet but I'm going hard in da paint tonight. I still think FF16 is an amazing game but the SQ were horrible that was my only complaint. There were seriously like 5 good SQ out of the 20+ they had. Oh I also thought the game was way to easy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't think so. Midgar was fine at the end of remake. They were looking at it. Then like a day later half the fucking place blew up? Huh.

I don't get it.

Knowing them, Shin-Ra probably blew up more shit to blame it on Avalanche.

DeaDPo0L84

I double dipped for Remake and I thought the character models while in-control looked worse on PC than on PS5 and it's not like there were a ton of customization options. Maybe you should treat yourself and play it now alongside your wife.
I still need to beat the initial FF7 Remake + DLC before jumping in. Hopefully my wife is pretty far at that point so she won't mind handing the controller over.

Luipadre

Gold Member
All the talk about textures and asset quality, but what makes this game looks really dull sometimes is the complete lack of ambient occlusion. The game looks so flat, especially after ff16's amazing shadows. It adds so much depth to scenes. Thankfully the game is pretty great so far

Last edited:
I have a question if anybody can reply quick

In materia development there're 2 materia called Auto unique ability materia and Auto cast materia. I want to know where should I equip this materia to make the effect? Should I (cloud) the team leader wears it or I give it to the target character?

Also is this a passive ability or do I manually have to activate it to take effect?

SkylineRKR

I beat the entire Grasslands, which took me approx 8 hours. None of it felt like filler actually. There is just about enough variation and the majority of quests are short enough. There is one that goes on for quite a bit, but that one is rather fun.

The Grasslands was 10/10 for me in terms of atmosphere, and Kalm is a excellent town to start in. Sidequests quality is improved, still nothing memorable but better than it was. That inkeeper guy has some backstory to him if you continue with side content.

The problem might be that the second area seems to repeat the same tropes, find a chocobo again, do towers again, find the regional summon data... etc. So the open world might grow weary eventually. But there is always the main story you can follow, and so far it delivers. Another issue is that, probably since I did all side content, the game is too easy. It really is far easier than Remake was, there is more room for error and more ways to end fights quickly. I might switch to Dynamic.

I have a question if anybody can reply quick

In materia development there're 2 materia called Auto unique ability materia and Auto cast materia. I want to know where should I equip this materia to make the effect? Should I (cloud) the team leader wears it or I give it to the target character?

Also is this a passive ability or do I manually have to activate it to take effect?

Anyone

Luipadre

Gold Member
So far it seems like the open world has the right amount of stuff in it. Not overly bloated and not super empty

Belthazar

Automatic, hence "Auto", give it to whoever you don't want to actively control in battle. For auto spell you need to have it connected to the specific spell you want your party member to auto-cast.

Give auto unique ability to anyone EXCEPT Tifa, as she'll instantly use all her ATB bars with Unbridled Strength to use her Unique Skills, which IMO is a hindrance.

I don't think so. Midgar was fine at the end of remake. They were looking at it. Then like a day later half the fucking place blew up? Huh.

I don't get it.
No it wasn't. At the end of Remake there was that stupid whisper tornado that destroyed the main Shinra Tower and caused all kind of chaos and a bunch of other stupid garbage that happened when the story went completely off rails.

CosmicComet

No it wasn't. At the end of Remake there was that stupid whisper tornado that destroyed the main Shinra Tower and caused all kind of chaos and a bunch of other stupid garbage that happened when the story went completely off rails.
This is the only thing that gives me pause with getting Rebirth.

The last 2/3rds of the game was absolute TRASHHHH in Remake.

One of the worst story fumbles I've ever witnessed in...anything.

This is the only thing that gives me pause with getting Rebirth.

The last 2/3rds of the game was absolute TRASHHHH in Remake.

One of the worst story fumbles I've ever witnessed in...anything.
Absolutely was. Complete and embarrassing dumpster fire IMO.

So far I'm really enjoying the game and think it's wonderful but I'm only on Chapter 5. I go in with the full understanding and knowledge that the game will completely go off rails but I was also secretly hoping they would reign it in for this title, even though I know that's exceedingly unlikely and optimistic.

Top Bottom