• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - Version1.020 Patch (21st March) additional performance 'sharp' mode + more.

Tomeru

Games would need to look like ps1 port to get me to not use performance mode. 60fps is a mighty monunental hurdle to trump.

leo-j

so i just tried the performance mode post update for the first time since the demo..... Yikes at that blur.... sure the 60fps is nice, but the visual downgrade is huge.... Fidelity is like going from ps4 ff vii to ps5 ff vii and more visually when compared to either sharp or smooth performance moods.

Last edited:

proandrad

The one setting for camera speed.....forgot the name, but i dropped it from the default value to 2. I don't see any stuttering when i move it.
So is this what 30fps warriors do? Just move slower so it doesn’t look like shit. Do you also reduced your button press speed to not notice the input lag? Jokes aside I really never considered this. Kinda makes sense now, old ps1 games with fixed camera angles like MGS1 never bothered me. But the second I play a game with direct camera controls it looks like a stutter fest.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So is this what 30fps warriors do? Just move slower so it doesn’t look like shit. Do you also reduced your button press speed to not notice the input lag? Jokes aside I really never considered this. Kinda makes sense now, old ps1 games with fixed camera angles like MGS1 never bothered me. But the second I play a game with direct camera controls it looks like a stutter fest.

If you're really such a pro and rad, you'd already know how to fix it and would have adjusted the setting without me having to point it out.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Why do they not just use the same 60 fps 1440p mode as the previous Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade on PS5? That looked fantastic on my 4K TV and almost indistinguishable from the 4K 30 fps mode from my viewing distance.
As per the PlayStation Blog, Cloud has double the polygon budget. Which is stupid IMO because the PS4 version was good enough textures aside. So they’ve ramped up minimal details and tanked the performance.

Fbh

I mean the entire 30fps defense argument around here is
"It's not so bad, you get used to it as long as you NEVER SWITCH OVER TO THE 60FPS MODE EVEN ONCE AND EXPERIENCE HOW MUCH SMOOTHER IT FEELS"

LordCBH

Bernie Sanders Meme GIF by patternbase

I AM ONCE AGAIN ASKING FOR A 40FPS MODE

Mindman

To my well trained eye, the new perf modes look slightly sharper than before. Just barely tolerable now, whereas before, it was untolerable. And they are giving us the choice of what upscaling method to use with the Smooth or Sharp options. Smooth looks better for sure.

Await DF to confirm my findings.

Garibaldi

I mean the entire 30fps defense argument around here is
"It's not so bad, you get used to it as long as you NEVER SWITCH OVER TO THE 60FPS MODE EVEN ONCE AND EXPERIENCE HOW MUCH SMOOTHER IT FEELS"
I'm dancing between playing the original at 5184x2160 @ 100fps (3840x1600 144hz vrr monitor) to this playing at 3840x2160 @ 30 (3840x2160 120hz vrr OLED).

You can get used to it. It's not ideal I concede, but it's not anyway near as world ending as some bed wetters are making it out to be.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I'm dancing between playing the original at 5184x2160 @ 100fps (3840x1600 144hz vrr monitor) to this playing at 3840x2160 @ 30 (3840x2160 120hz vrr OLED).

You can get used to it. It's not ideal I concede, but it's not anyway near as world ending as some bed wetters are making it out to be.
Yeah, there's always lots of exaggeration going on. 30fps is never ideal, but at the same time it's hard to believe it's unplayable. I can also go from 120fps on PC to 30fps on some other games and it's fine. It's also worth keeping in mind that not all 30fps games are the same, some have lower latency and better motion blur implementation that can vastly improve the experience. FF 16 for example was very good in that regard, I didn't even care it was running at 30.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yeah, there's always lots of exaggeration going on. 30fps is never ideal, but at the same time it's hard to believe it's unplayable. I can also go from 120fps on PC to 30fps on some other games and it's fine. It's also worth keeping in mind that not all 30fps games are the same, some have lower latency and better motion blur implementation that can vastly improve the experience. FF 16 for example was very good in that regard, I didn't even care it was running at 30.
I think a lot of people arguing for 30FPS don't game on OLEDs, because it's really jarring at first. I've made my peace with it though because in this instance, graphics take a massive hit on performance mode.

Mister Wolf

There is no fixing this. At their level of ability as developers they got all that they could out of the PS5. They are the problem. Not the PS5 or UE.

april6e

Wow, I must say I'm impressed after crapping on the demo and the original release's performance mode graphics. The new graphics mode is such a massive night and day difference. I'll probably just stick to 30fps since I've played half the game like that but they seemingly finally fixed performance mode. It looks fine now.

Hestar69

Think the patch broke my game...

doing the Gbike side quest and beat the guys score 5 times now and still not giving me credit for it....My last gdamn sidequest I have and it's glitched....great..........

my bro i was out there playing ps3 games at shit like 690p, bs like dat

think i wont play this at 30fps? yall joking wit me

paolo11

No improvement on performance mode IQ honestly. Still blurry. I’m sticking to quality mode .30fps is same as ff7 ps4 remake anyway and I got used to it. Quality mode is very beautiful.

Will the Ps5 pro improve the resolution on performance mode? They have to patch it, right?

omegasc

So what’s the consensus smooth or sharp?
Smooth is less blurry than the first version if I recall it correctly, and overall lighting is better for sure, at least on the chars. Sharp may be the same as before, but I notice the "bilinear filter" less for some reason. I settled for Perf - Smooth.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lately 30fps is kinda doing it for me not gonna lie.

Something clicked and I’m enjoying the higher fidelity and resolutions and opting for 30fps over 60fps when I can.

Like it looks more cinematic and less gamey if that makes sense.

denzel washington GIF

Surely depends on the game, but I have 70 hours in Rebirth now on graphics mode and not really feel like I need 60fps in this game.

So glad more and more people are seeing the light!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wrong. If that was true people wouldn’t be eager to drop $600 on a Pro console.

- To have the "option" to play certain games like SIFU at 4K\60fps.
- To have 2x-4x better ray-tracing
- For better IQ in games.

I had 4K LCD tv for majority of time with PS5 and avoided 30fps modes in games, 60FPS will always be better on any screen type.

Not for all games. It's a balancing act. For some games 30 fps is perfectly fine for MANY gamers. Maybe not all, like yourself.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I play this one in quality on a oled (LG CX) and the 30fps is unplayable stuff is absolutely overblown. Once you get used to it, it's perfectly playable. Probably needs 60fps if you are doing the brutal challenging combat on hard mode, but the story playthrough on normal/dynamic is perfectly playable.

I'm also playing through remake on and off on my pc at 120fps in ultrawide at the same time (which admittedly is miles better) so if I can adjust, anyone can.
yep. nicely said.
I had a 240hz 1080p monitor and 4k60 and I was switching no problem few years ago

Top Bottom