• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Ourobolus

Banned
Just got the Airship, now to do a ton of sidequest stuff...

First thing, how do I get back to the Macalania woods to change the cloudy mirror? Not sure where to take the airship for fastest access.

Thanks
Take it to Macalania Woods?
You just need to walk up the light/ice path from the save point and its along that path.

Hobbun

Ok, just did Lightning Dancer.

First time got hit after about 60ish bolts. Second time I made it up to 135. Third time was the charm. Ended up with 275 bolts in a row. Just kept dodging until I got hit, just to 'make sure'.

Have all the annoying mini-games done with the exception of catching butterflies, which I anticipate shouldn't take too long.

Balphon

Can I start doing Creature Creator in FFX-2 later in the game or are some things missable?

A few fiends are completely missable and many others are much more difficult to get in later Chapters.

So if you want to get as many fiend tales as possible, you'll want to start early. But if you just want to train some fiends, it's not as big of a deal.

A few fiends are completely missable and many others are much more difficult to get in later Chapters.

So if you want to get as many fiend tales as possible, you'll want to start early. But if you just want to train some fiends, it's not as big of a deal.

Do you have a list of the missable creatures?

Arthea

I trained my girls to lvl 40, did some Via Infinito, and went back to Angra Mainyu killing.
I used different strategy this time around, I sacrificed my attack stats, but instead got def high and status def. I went with 2 Alchemists and 1 Dark Knight. I decided I would drain mp with Alchemists using mana springs, it's very fast way and then switch all to Dark Knights and pummel it to victory, doesn't worked quite like planned. I ran out of items before I drained Angra's mp, it has way too much of both MP and HP, insanely high. Anyway, using attack items (not mixing them) is very fast. So in case someone had 99 of mana springs and 99 Supreme Gems (lol), it's possible to kill it efficiently at any level with 3 Alchemists (and you don't need to care about inflicted breaks too), well, not at any, above 1k HP is still preferable for this fight.
It took me 2 hours to take it down, it finally ran out of MP, but it was very long until it did. I used almost all my useful items, but at least it's dead, finally.

Cudder

I just started FFX for the first time last night and am a bit confused.

So at the beginning of the game,
Tidus is a Blitzball player, and his father Jecht was a Blitzball legend? Then, during a game in the city, a giant evil orb of water they call Sin destroys the city and somehow transports Tidus 1000 years into the future? And then he gets transported again to a tropical island? Also who is Auron? Some kind of blitzball coach? Do you find that out later?

Is that right?

Sorry, the jumping around is confusing me. No spoilers please, thanks.

Ourobolus

Banned

Tidus is a Blitzball player, and his father Jecht was a Blitzball legend? Then, during a game in the city, a giant evil orb of water they call Sin destroys the city and somehow transports Tidus 1000 years into the future? And then he gets transported again to a tropical island? Also who is Auron? Some kind of blitzball coach? Do you find that out later?

Is that right?

Yeah, it'll all make sense soon enough.

Arthea

Is that right?

you'll find out all those answers later in game, oh, and enjoy! First time playing it is the best.

Cudder

Thanks! The game looks gorgeous on the Vita screen.

Oh, also: Is there a reason why everyone can breath indefinitely underwater? It kinda throws me off when characters are underwater and there isn't any water effects to make it look like they are, so it looks like they're just floating in air.

Ourobolus

Banned

Oh, also: Is there a reason why everyone can breath indefinitely underwater? It kinda throws me off when characters are underwater and there isn't any water effects to make it look like they are, so it looks like they're just floating in air.

It's handwaved as "they've trained exceptionally well." Just go with it.

Arthea

unfortunately not all can, but only 3 of them that are exceptional like that and you'll regret that later, I can promise you that much. (><)

Balphon

Do you have a list of the missable creatures?

No, but I believe they're all from the areas where the fiends available for capture change in Chapter 5 once you unlock the bonus dungeon in the area (e.g. Bikanel). I think all the fiends from earlier chapters are available later in Luca (albeit with substantially more difficulty), though, again, I'm not positive.

There are also a few human "fiends" that are available only in New Game +, and a couple which may require you to give the awesome sphere to the Youth League in Chapter 2.

No, but I believe they're all from the areas where the fiends available for capture change in Chapter 5 once you unlock the bonus dungeon in the area (e.g. Bikanel). I think all the fiends from earlier chapters are available later in Luca (albeit with substantially more difficulty), though, again, I'm not positive.

There are also a few human "fiends" that are available only in New Game +, and a couple which may require you to give the awesome sphere to the Youth League in Chapter 2.

Thanks. I started training some monsters and it's pretty addicting.

Oh, also: Is there a reason why everyone can breath indefinitely underwater?

In Spira there's a trick to it; anyone can learn, but typically only blitzers and Al Bhed follow through on it. Yuna's teaching herself to do it at the beginning of the Eternal Calm video.

Cudder

In Spira there's a trick to it; anyone can learn, but typically only blitzers and Al Bhed follow through on it. Yuna's teaching herself to do it at the beginning of the Eternal Calm video.

Interesting, thanks. I'm a little further in now and enjoying it. The locales are gorgeous. It's pretty refreshing to play a JRPG like this where you get to go to such nice looking places, coming from P4G which I just finished. I still don't think I understand the upgrading and post battle screens, though.

Audioboxer

On the last stretch for Wakkas Celestial Weapon. Blitzball gets boring fast... 10 more league games for the Jupiter Sigil.

Out of interest is it a good idea to grind Omega Caverns to level up or is it best to do grinding in the monster arena? Just got to the step before fighting sin, so I'm doing side quest stuff first. Have all the Aeons, working through Celestial Weapons now.

Going to leave Dark Aeons till last.

Falk

that puzzling face
Once you set up for Don Tonberry it's by far the fastest way to level up, with Cactuar King coming close, but only if you RNG him hitting the right people with 10,000 needles.

Omega Dungeon isn't comparable at all in terms of efficacy.

Audioboxer

Once you set up for Don Tonberry it's by far the fastest way to level up, with Cactuar King coming close, but only if you RNG him hitting the right people with 10,000 needles.

Omega Dungeon isn't comparable at all in terms of efficacy.

Any guides on how to do that? Thanks. I'm guessing there's steps to unlock him as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Can I start doing Creature Create in FFX-2 later in the game or are some things missable?

Personally I'd advise you to save all creature stuff til NG+. But then again I wouldn't suggest trying to 100% the game in a single run either, as its way too easy to miss something trivial that will cost you the "perfect" and slavishly following a FAQ to the letter really sucks all the fun out of the game.

Ambitious

Platinum! What a ride.

I'm not sure if I will play X2 anytime soon - I'm a bit burned out when it comes to Spira and the FFX universe. How long is the game approximately, compared to X? Are there many sidequests, and more importantly, are they as tedious as X's?

Jubern

Some advice for the Don Tomberry trick, since I just used it myself for the first time!
- Ideally, you need to capture every monster to get the items to put Triple AP on 3 weapons;
- For Overdrive > AP, just get all the Al-Bhed primers;
- Forgot how, but there's also an easy way to get enough Double AP material for 3 weapons;
- Grind a bit first to be powerful enough to defeat One Eye in a way that doesn't take too long. I defeated it with the Magus Sisters' overdrive + a few attacks;
- If none of your characters take 99999 damage from Don Tomberry's Karma attack, you will want to change that. Teach the character that takes the most damage MP 1 and Ultima then go grinding on Mi hien Highroad for a couple of hours.

It took me like 6 or 7 hours to set up everything but it was sooooo worth it.

Audioboxer

Some advice for the Don Tomberry trick, since I just used it myself for the first time!
- Ideally, you need to capture every monster to get the items to put Triple AP on 3 weapons;
- Forgot how, but there's also an easy way to get enough Double AP material for 3 weapons;
- Grind a bit first to be powerful enough to defeat One Eye in a way that doesn't take too long. I defeated it with the Magus Sisters' overdrive + a few attacks;
- If none of your characters take 99999 damage from Don Tomberry's Karma attack, you will want to change that. Teach the character that takes the most damage MP 1 and Ultima then go grinding on Mi hien Highroad for a couple of hours.

It took me like 6 or 7 hours to set up everything but it was sooooo worth it.

Doesn't One Eye take care of that? Also if you capture every monster you the ingredients for Overdrive > AP from what I'm reading. Must be the same prize for all the Al-Bhed primers as well? Thanks for tips

Ourobolus

Banned
Overdrive -> AP comes from Doors to Tomorrow, which you can get 99 of by unlocking the Area Creations (I think you need to unlock 6 of them?). That's enough for 9 weapons.

You need the Underdog's Secrets for Double AP. That's what you get 99 of from Rin for the Al Bhed Primers.

Does Kimahri's Nova only hit once in this? I could've sworn the International version of FFX upgraded it to two hits, just like Auron's Tornado overdrive.

Edit: apparently not. Huh. Man, the quality of some character's Overdrives set is seriously shitty. It's kind of sad that Rikku's got a Mighty Guard equivalent that totally outclasses the one Kimahri gets, given that that move has such a strong association with Blue Mages.

Jigolo

I'm trying to get into the game but I can't seem to stick with it the same way I did P4G for some reason. Maybe because I was warned the first 4 hours of P4G would be slow.

I'm currently walking around with Yuna, Wakka, and spell lady and I believe we are going to travel around because Yuna is a summoner. I just got to use her in battle and summoned a creature for the first time but every battle so far seems staged. "oh you've encountered this guy, switch to Yuna to defeat him".

How long does the tutorial/hand holding last? Should I keep playing or just give up now?

I'm trying to get into the game but I can't seem to stick with it the same way I did P4G for some reason. Maybe because I was warned the first 4 hours of P4G would be slow.

I'm currently walking around with Yuna, Wakka, and spell lady and I believe we are going to travel around because Yuna is a summoner. I just got to use her in battle and summoned a creature for the first time but every battle so far seems staged. "oh you've encountered this guy, switch to Yuna to defeat him".

How long does the tutorial/hand holding last? Should I keep playing or just give up now?

It basically ends quite soon, though you can expect minor bits of it to recur as additional party members appear for the first time. In fact, the battle where it suggests that you use Yuna is the last basically-scripted battle that you'll face for a little bit. (Expect another brief one when you get to the next major location in the game.)

The story's going to feel sort of heavily on-rails for a while longer - specifically, up until you leave the third town/major area in the game. But it'll stop feeling like *tutorial* soon.

43752408.jpg

Just beat FFX again since the first time 10+ years ago. Ending is just so good.

Glad to have this on the Vita to pick up from time to time to take on the super bosses. Praying for a FF12 HD release on Vita now.

darksagus

I recently picked this up for vita, and wow it looks nice on that screen. I remember back when i beat the ps2 version, i got stomped by the first optional boss and stopped playing.

Arthea

Anybody has any insight how to kill Bahamut in aeon cup of fiend arena. His megaflare kills all of my team every single time, those with 255 defences and a wall too. That's mindboggling, does it ignores defence altogether? How to survive it, then?

Anybody has any insight how to kill Bahamut in aeon cup of fiend arena. His megaflare kills all of my team every single time, those with 255 defences and a wall too. That's mindboggling, does it ignores defence altogether? How to survive it, then?

You can block party-wiping moves by using Special Dresspheres. When you die in a Special Dressphere, it goes back to your normal party with that one party member dead.

That, or kill him before Megaflare happens.

Or use Auto-Life (accessible via certain Garment Grids).

Arthea

You can block party-wiping moves by using Special Dresspheres. When you die in a Special Dressphere, it goes back to your normal party with that one party member dead.

That, or kill him before Megaflare happens.

Or use Auto-Life (accessible via certain Garment Grids).

really? What special dresspheres? I had no idea it is possible at all!

I tried to kill him before Megaflare, couple of times I was so close, it's infuriating. It's like he does it when about to die.
Autolife didn't help me much, as fiends don't use it that effectively, for whatever reason.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I have to say, coming back to FFX-2 after all these years, I'm really struck by how many clever ideas there are in this game, particularly the battle-system.

First of all, the basic sphere/garment-grid system is a really clever spin on the traditional job system in that it adds a layer of strategy to your loadout. Its not just a simple case of picking a subset of jobs, its how they are positioned on the grids and any bonus effects triggered by transition. Learning jobs by doing, as opposed to a plain xp grind is nice too, especially when they are as diverse as these.

I'm pretty sure that if this same scheme was re-visualized to be less "girly" (not that I have an issue, but I do get the impression some people are iffy about dress/garment theming), it'd get a whole lot more respect.

Oversouling enemies though, what a brilliant idea. Although it seems like just a neat gimmick to begin with, the way monster -particularly boss- behaviour changes adds an extra layer of utility. This stuff really shines in areas like Via Infinito, which is what I consider a "proper" bonus dungeon.

Joni

Does Kimahri's Nova only hit once in this? I could've sworn the International version of FFX upgraded it to two hits, just like Auron's Tornado overdrive.

Edit: apparently not. Huh. Man, the quality of some character's Overdrives set is seriously shitty. It's kind of sad that Rikku's got a Mighty Guard equivalent that totally outclasses the one Kimahri gets, given that that move has such a strong association with Blue Mages.
Kimahri is worthless. Most Aeons also have crappy overdrives. Every Overdrive that doesn't hit multiple times is worthless. The Magus Sisters have better normal attacks than most Aeons have overdrives.

really? What special dresspheres? I had no idea it is possible at all!

I tried to kill him before Megaflare, couple of times I was so close, it's infuriating. It's like he does it when about to die.
Autolife didn't help me much, as fiends don't use it that effectively, for whatever reason.

Special Dresspheres like Floral Fallal, the ones you need to travel through the entire Garment Grid in one battle to use.

I'm having some difficulty getting white wind in FFX-2. I keep killing the fiend before they get a chance to use it on me. :(

Edit: Didn't realize Psychic could inflict confusion without damaging the fiend. I was using Festivalist.

Cudder

I just did the first match of Blitzball in FFX. That was TERRRRRIBLE. Is the game scripted to make you lose the championship match? Because I couldn't do shit out there. What a terrible minigame.

Levyne

Banned
You can win it, but the prizes for doing so are negligible in the long run. It's generally easy to score with Tidus' Jecht Shot, but you have to have done an optional event on the boat and get him to level 3 before the second half, or use Wakka's Venom Shot when he subs in.

The prize strength sphere is useful but not necessary at all.

Edit: At least I think Wakka has Venom shot to start.

Top Bottom