• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

You're designed to almost lose it. The matchup is LOPSIDED. Like, you have really crappy teammates against decent ones.

The trick is to keep swimming around the goalpost in the first half passing ball between Tidus and someone I forgot just to level them up. During second round, get Tidus to use Sphere Shot (bypasses one defender IIRC). Jecht Shot is better though.

Prize isn't worth it at all. It's a fairly common item later on.

Arthea

that blasted Nooj with his bloody lightfall.

isnUcaQINRybp.gif

and a weak team? seriously? What kind of sick joke this is?
Youth League Cup is nightmare I tell you, nightmare.

Anybody has any insight how to kill Bahamut in aeon cup of fiend arena. His megaflare kills all of my team every single time, those with 255 defences and a wall too. That's mindboggling, does it ignores defence altogether? How to survive it, then?

i think it would be best to kill him before he does megaflare. my chocogoonberry team kills him fast. and none of them had max stats.

ocean

Banned
A little late to the party but I got this yesterday and I am at Mushroom Rock. Man, I really missed this game. Loved it back when it first came out.

That said, a little question for you guys. I went for the standard sphere grid and have no freaking clue which direction I should push Kimhari in. Everything seems to be locked away and I only have 3 Lvl.1 spheres that I really want to take care of lest I later regret wasting them on something silly.

Also: there's two trophies for completing Sphere Grids (one for a single character, the other for the entire team). To get this, is it enough to go all the way through or will I also have to backtrack to fill out empty nodes? Because that would seem like a near-insurmountable task.

Thanks in advance. I'm sorry if this type of bump is frowned upon; I read the FAQ on Member Etiquette before posting and believe OTs are fair game. If not, please accept my most Junior apologies.

A little late to the party but I got this yesterday and I am at Mushroom Rock. Man, I really missed this game. Loved it back when it first came out.

That said, a little question for you guys. I went for the standard sphere grid and have no freaking clue which direction I should push Kimhari in. Everything seems to be locked away and I only have 3 Lvl.1 spheres that I really want to take care of lest I later regret wasting them on something silly.

Also: there's two trophies for completing Sphere Grids (one for a single character, the other for the entire team). To get this, is it enough to go all the way through or will I also have to backtrack to fill out empty nodes? Because that would seem like a near-insurmountable task.

Thanks in advance. I'm sorry if this type of bump is frowned upon; I read the FAQ on Member Etiquette before posting and believe OTs are fair game. If not, please accept my most Junior apologies.

Pretty sure OTs are fair game, but also, this is barely a bump. :)

Levyne

Banned
To get the sphere grid trophy, you have to have every node activated, paths between nodes don't matter.

And OTs are pretty darn close to catch-alls, no worries :)

So I just starting playing X after buying on release.

Bringing back so many memories :)

But I don't recall it being so narrated...or meeting Rikku 15 minutes into the game. Was this added or do I just not remember 14 years ago that well?

Arthea

I wonder why fiends stopped getting story upgrades for winning arena cups. Anybody knows what's up with that?

i think it would be best to kill him before he does megaflare. my chocogoonberry team kills him fast. and none of them had max stats.

how exactly you kill him fast? Haven't he like 100k HP and high defenses? Even Ultima does only around 6k damage to him, and physical attacks of all kinds even less and he's immune to every status too, I think.

Kinsei

Banned
I think I may have overlevelled a bit. Shiva's overdrive did 9999 damage to
Anima
and survived a firaga from
Seymour

So I just starting playing X after buying on release.

Bringing back so many memories :)

But I don't recall it being so narrated...or meeting Rikku 15 minutes into the game. Was this added or do I just not remember 14 years ago that well?

It wasn't added, you're just remembering it wrong.

I wonder why fiends stopped getting story upgrades for winning arena cups. Anybody knows what's up with that?

how exactly you kill him fast? Haven't he like 100k HP and high defenses? Even Ultima does only around 6k damage to him, and physical attacks of all kinds even less and he's immune to every status too, I think.

story upgrades may depend on the level of the fiend. i think cactuar cup stops at 60, chocobo cup stops at 50.

killing him fast -
- chocobo has attack, vigor, fireworks, fingersnap and then auto haste. invincible and champions belt.
- goon has attack, fireworks, elixir, and phoenix down with auto haste. rabite's foot and champions belt.
- tonberry has the same as chocobo but with darkness instead of fingersnap. invincible and rabite's foot.

i have my tonberry at 249 str at lv 99, chocobo at 197. all of them using higher power and mascot dressphere. with high luck, bahamut can't hit you with his phys attacks. a fireworks from tonberry hits around 40K damage. chocobo hits 20K damage. goon does 9999 damage as well with fireworks and normal attacks. with only a few fireworks hits, bahamut is dead :D

Arthea

story upgrades may depend on the level of the fiend. i think cactuar cup stops at 60, chocobo cup stops at 50.

killing him fast -
- chocobo has attack, vigor, fireworks, fingersnap and then auto haste. invincible and champions belt.
- goon has attack, fireworks, elixir, and phoenix down with auto haste. rabite's foot and champions belt.
- tonberry has the same as chocobo but with darkness instead of fingersnap. invincible and rabite's foot.

i have my tonberry at 249 str at lv 99, chocobo at 197. all of them using higher power and mascot dressphere. with high luck, bahamut can't hit you with his phys attacks. a fireworks from tonberry hits around 40K damage. chocobo hits 20K damage. goon does 9999 damage as well with fireworks and normal attacks. with only a few fireworks hits, bahamut is dead :D

oh, your team is so much better than mine, that's not even funny.
Around ~150 str on my guys and no autohaste except for chocobo.
Also where have you got second invincible? Not that I need it, as they don't do nowhere near close max damage still.

Also where have you got second invincible? Not that I need it, as they don't do nowhere near close max damage still.

my tonberry was just leveled to 99 with a 2 or 3 shmooth sailing to get to that stats. the chocobo i think had 10 shmooth sailing. bump it up with a kaiser knuckle (or if you have 1 iron duke or some champion belts). invincible, 1 from the camera man in kilika in chapter 5, the other from beating those sphere break opponents that shows up in the besaid locker room in luca via a fiend tale.

Sulla1980

Finished off FFX the other day with a Platinum trophy. I found the experience pretty fun, probably because I had never completed much of the "extra" stuff (I think that I only ever got one or two Celestial Weapons on my PS2 playthroughs).

Chocobo racing was the most trying for me, by far. Lightning dodging, something that I had never even attempted, was easy enough with a podcast on and using the crater trick. Those butterflies...

Anyway, on to FFX-2. I really enjoyed this game when it was first released, but now I feel a little weighed down by trying for 100%. Making sure that I am doing every little thing kinda zaps the fun out of the game. I am really close to just saying forget it and enjoying my playthrough. There is always New Game + for the 100%.

Balphon

Speed Bracers are rather easy to get from bribing the stronger Chocobos in the Chocobo Cup if you're looking for Auto-Haste.

Champion Belts from winning the Chocobo Cup are good easy-to-find accessories for raising STR.

In addition to sphere break, you can get additional Invincibles from Major Numerus, though you probably won't need them at that point. You can also get Break Damage Limit for fiends from The End garment grid, which you could feasibly get before rendering combat completely trivial.

Merovin

FFX - Am I missing something here? I have captured everything 10 times for the Monster Arena, gone through and defeated each Original Species, Area Conquest and Species Conquest monsters at least once (done them all one by one to make sure), but Nemesis still won't unlock. Is there anything else I need to do?

Kyonashi

I'm 35 hours in and feeling a bit underpowered. Just beat
Yunalesca
, and now I'm trying to get all the Celestial Weapons and Aeons before defeating Sin.

My sphere grid feels really underfilled, I can't understand how anyone would have the patience to fill out the entire grid! I've done like 1/10th in 35 hours! Is there an easier way to boost my stats?

Merovin, try fighting outside then talk to him again.

Kyonashi, filling the grid is completely unnecessary for the main story. The character's own paths are enough to beat the game (it was designed so). Filling it takes forever and only needed for sidequests and the trophy. You're looking at spending more time with sidequests than the story.

Atlantis

The game intends for you to use those keys to level Kimahri, don't be afraid to use them.

As for advice on what to do with him, to put it simply Tidus or Rikku's grids are probably your best bet. You can also get fancy and break into Yuna's grid if you choose Rikku's grid if you like.

Arthea

Speed Bracers are rather easy to get from bribing the stronger Chocobos in the Chocobo Cup if you're looking for Auto-Haste.

Champion Belts from winning the Chocobo Cup are good easy-to-find accessories for raising STR.

In addition to sphere break, you can get additional Invincibles from Major Numerus, though you probably won't need them at that point. You can also get Break Damage Limit for fiends from The End garment grid, which you could feasibly get before rendering combat completely trivial.

thanks, gonna try to bribe Chocobos then.

Yesterday I tried to take on
Almighty
Shinra. Oh boy, I don't stand a chance. It's sorta weird as previous fights in this sidequest are easy, and suddenly this.

Trying to teach Wakka the "Loner" Overdrive Mode. I've consulted FAQs; apparently he needs to begin 110 turns with the rest of the party dead/petrified/escaped/shattered. I've set up those conditions and defended for WAY more than 110 turns and he hasn't learned that OD mode. Any idea what's up?

Ourobolus

Banned
Trying to teach Wakka the "Loner" Overdrive Mode. I've consulted FAQs; apparently he needs to begin 110 turns with the rest of the party dead/petrified/escaped/shattered. I've set up those conditions and defended for WAY more than 110 turns and he hasn't learned that OD mode. Any idea what's up?

You're in the arena, aren't you. :p
Don't do it there.

Arthea

Today after doing fiend arena for hours and not saving, my FFX-2 suddenly froze, black screen between loading results of the cup. I could leave the game, so PS3 didn't froze, it was a game.
Does it happen often? It's first time I encountered it, but now I'm scared. And saving after every tournament seems like hassle.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm torn on what I want to do now. I've just obtained Yojimbo, and I'm not sure if I want to capture 10 fiends in the Calm Lands, or just progress with the story. I really don't feel like fighting 10 more malboros (Already fought one for bad breath but used Bahamut to finish it off because fuck malboros.) until I have ribbon armor.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm torn on what I want to do now. I've just obtained Yojimbo, and I'm not sure if I want to capture 10 fiends in the Calm Lands, or just progress with the story. I really don't feel like fighting 10 more malboros (Already fought one for bad breath but used Bahamut to finish it off because fuck malboros.) until I have ribbon armor.

Decisions, decisions.
Their version of Bad Breath isn't anywhere nearly as dangerous as the Great Malboro version. Go do it. You can even get the Nirvana powered up to Crest level so Valefor can break the damage limit, giving you an additional way to Overkill bosses.

krossj

Just died to the throw away enemies after Evrae... I don't remember being this bad when I was younger.. Enjoying playing through the game again. Forgot how great a lot of the visual design is in this.

Decisions, decisions.

For Malboros, you can just summon Valefor and spam Sonic Wings. Dismiss him after you bring its HP low enough to capture. I believe Sonic Wings works against all Malboros flavors. It's tedious to do but safe, since all Malboros can't be one shot by 9999 damage unless you wasted time putting Break HP Limit on a Capture weapon.

Kinsei

Banned
Their version of Bad Breath isn't anywhere nearly as dangerous as the Great Malboro version. Go do it. You can even get the Nirvana powered up to Crest level so Valefor can break the damage limit, giving you an additional way to Overkill bosses.

I decided to go ahead and capture one of each for Nirvana. For some reason I had the requirements for Nirvana and the Mars sigil mixed up. I would have captured them before fighting Defender X had I not mixed up the requirements. Doing this also put me over 450 total battles so I can now get the Auroch reels. Spreading blitz out over the course of the game has made it a lot more bearable than just doing it in one large chunk at the end of the game.

For Malboros, you can just summon Valefor and spam Sonic Wings. Dismiss him after you bring its HP low enough to capture. I believe Sonic Wings works against all Malboros flavors. It's tedious to do but safe, since all Malboros can't be one shot by 9999 damage unless you wasted time putting Break HP Limit on a Capture weapon.

I ended up spamming delay attack with Tidus. It only got off one turn (and thankfully used its regular attack) before going down.

sasuke_91

Just to make sure I got it right:
When I use the expert sphere grid, most characters should go their own path first, Yuna and Lulu should be swapped and Kimahri goes with whatever the hell I feel like.
Did I get it right?^^

It feels so great playing this game again. It has been such a long time. The facial animation really shows that this game is 13 years old, but other than that it's soo pretty :D
Yuna's long pauses between sentences is also kinda weird...

I forgot how tough FFX's final boss can be if you just play straight through the story. Thank god for Rikku's overdrive.

I can't believe I did most of the side stuff back on the PS2, it's really ridiculous how much time is required and how boring it can be, no way I'm touching that stuff now lol. Really puts into perspective how much time I had back then.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Ok did what I wanted to do (not much, but surely more than my first time 10 years ago. This time at least I got all the secret summons, retrieved secret chests, acquired the last weapons except for Wakka's one [horrible Bliztball!] and few more stuff. Felt very satisfying, clocked around 50 hrs if I'm not mistaken. I would still like to try and Zanmato all the Dark Summons + Penance but I'm not sure I want to invest more time in it (I have the GILs, maybe not the time).
Overall I like FINAL FANTASY X but it's definitely not among my favorites, and I think except for Yuna and Auron I really didn't care for any other characters in this world. Story is also way too simple most of its times (and fails to get deeper when not making clear things like that Dream Zanarkand is Yu Yevon's own creation) and plain boring for a big chunk of it. I feel music-remastered is appreciated but below the original score. Battle System is instead quite great, too bad the enemy variety is really lacking and they keep recycling most of them for the entire game. I liked it more on this second playthrough of mine though, I remember 10 yrs ago I absolutely hated most of it while now I had some fun.

Oh one thing, the ending is absolutely amazing.

Next FFX-2.

Kinsei

Banned
Yup. Also, White Wind sucks.

Mighty Guard is basically Kimahri's only half-decent Overdrive.

I know, but I want to get 100% and getting all of Kimahri's overdrives is a part of that. I was almost certain that none of his overdrives were missable, but I just wanted to check and make sure before saving.

None of Kimahri's overdrives are missable, FWIW.

Nova's not exactly missable but it could be an extremely long time before you learn it if you kill Omega.

Also, funny how the tougher version of Omega and the completely-the-same version of Nova effectively mean that Kimahri's final Overdrive is likely the last one you'll learn in the game (outside of, like, getting every single one of Rikku's Mixes).

Falk

that puzzling face
Nova's not exactly missable but it could be an extremely long time before you learn it if you kill Omega.

As you mentioned there is no practical reason to get anything other than one lancet ability other than 100%.

And if you're gonna 100% you're gonna go beat up Nemesis anyway. D:

As you mentioned there is no practical reason to get anything other than one lancet ability other than 100%.

And if you're gonna 100% you're gonna go beat up Nemesis anyway. D:

It's a bummer that FFX is never likely to get a more serious reworking of some of this stuff to improve the utility of Kimahri and Lulu's overdrives, several of the Ultimate Weapons, etc. etc. etc.

Falk

that puzzling face
I feel that Square Enix only started really caring about balance after XI went toe to toe with WoW for similar market share.

(And yeah, granted, the amount of game-breaking things you can do in X can't really be compared to the amount of game breaking things you can do in e.g. 5, 6 or 8)

Kinsei

Banned
Just had my first death. I forgot you can't block total annihilation with an aeon. I beat him on my second try when I threw up mighty guard before he used it.

Is there any way to get level 3 key spheres now? I know you can get them by bribing demonoliths, but they're a ways off and I'd like to get doublecast soon since I'm right beside it.

Atlantis

Just had my first death. I forgot you can't block total annihilation with an aeon. I beat him on my second try when I threw up mighty guard before he used it.

Is there any way to get level 3 key spheres now? I know you can get them by bribing demonoliths, but they're a ways off and I'd like to get doublecast soon since I'm right beside it.

They're rare drops from the Defender Z machina in the Zanarkand Dome.

So I'm supposed to start backtracking to pick up the Jecht Spheres after I kill the Spherimorph now?

You can, but if you're gonna 100% anyway you might as well wait.

So I'm supposed to start backtracking to pick up the Jecht Spheres after I kill the Spherimorph now?
Yes, and it makes 100%ing significantly more bearable. Buy Sonic Steel from that merchant in Macalania Woods so that Tidus can spam Flee every battle and avoid ambushes.

Don't forget to pickup Energy Blast back in Besaid.

Top Bottom