• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Roubjon

Species Conquest arena monsters (+ Greater Sphere for some reason) drop the stat boosting spheres.

Thanks!

This is another question I have. Is there a surefire way to have Yojimbo execute Zanmoto? Or is it just a matter of making the chance as high as possible?

I never really had to use Zanmoto on purpose, since I never tried to defeat the Monster Arena creations.

2/3 times I've called Yojimbo I've gotten it. What I did was just get Yuna's overdrive, summon Yojimbo, and give him like 100,000 Gil, and then he did it. I think you only need to give him 1024 or something though lol. Didn't know that at the time. There's a hidden meter that involves how much he likes you, and the higher that is, the more likely he'll do zanmato. Someone in this thread explained it pretty recently.

Atlantis

Damn, badcrumble was not kidding when he said he was a perfectionist. Good luck, mate.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna Zanmato everything after I max out everyone's sphere grids. I've already played the game for 85 hours at this point, which is by far the longest I've played an RPG for a while.

But regarding that, is there a certain thing I should be doing when filling in the nodes for everyone? Is there a good place to get a lot of the HP, Str, Mag, etc. spheres?

If your goal is just to finish the achievement, your best bet is farming enough Strength so you can two-shot One-Eye and then filling the board with Magic Defense Spheres. (You also get useful Triple AP weapons from him.)

If you happen to have enough Luck to hit him reliably, you can also farm MP Spheres from Vidatu.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, in this version Yojimbo is reliable enough that you don't really need to worry about his affinity much (obviously don't purposefully summon him and let him die or whatever). Just fill his overdrive, give him something like 10,000 gil (I guess 1024 is a decent benchmark to meet) and reload if you need to.

Roubjon

Damn, badcrumble was not kidding when he said he was a perfectionist. Good luck, mate.

If your goal is just to finish the achievement, your best bet is farming enough Strength so you can two-shot One-Eye and then filling the board with Magic Defense Spheres. (You also get useful Triple AP weapons from him.)

If you happen to have enough Luck to hit him reliably, you can also farm MP Spheres from Vidatu.

I already two shot the guy. All I really need to do is max out Lulu, Kimarhi, and Yuna's sphere grid and I'm done I guess lol. Oh yeah, and that Chocobo treasure chest trophy.

Leeness

That happened to me with Dark Ixion.

That happened to me with all three. lol

I felt that I didn't remember those characters from the North American version (who initiate the battles), but I wasn't sure. So I talked to them...and then I was like, "Well, fuck".

I DID THAT TOO WITH THE MAGUS SISTERS. Saw two NPCs I hadn't talked to, went to talk to them and a cutscene started. I was like "wat", then the Dark Sisters jumped on the rock, I was like "wat??" then they started to chase me and I was like "WAT" and then they caught me and did 99,999 damage to everyone immediately and I was like "why... :(" and immediately started looking on Gamefaqs to see if I was locked out of Mushroom Rock Road :( Turns out you can just walk past them lol

I remember hating Brother in FFX-2 when I first played it. But he's been making me laugh this time. He's so over-the-top, it makes no sense.

Ugh, he's so gross. "Dance Yuna!!!!"

No, you freak, that's your cousin :(

Kinsei

Banned
Dark Ixion is down. He was a complete joke when compared to Valefor and Ifrit.

The high encounter rate for zaurus is really starting to piss me off. I only need to capture three more black elements to unlock Nemesis, but they won't show up.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Maaaaaannn, X-2 is FULL of things you can miss, game soon forced me into Bevelle and I can't count I many things I left behind 'cause of this. I'll have to play more carefully from now on. Anyway – being my first time with this title – I'm noticing alot of Toriyama's trademarks, from super pervs characters to – sort of – ambitious game design in relationship to what the genre usually offers. Too bad he had to wait 10 more years to publish something relatively similar (LR: FFXIII) after a more linear approach with XIII. Anyway for now I'm having way more fun with this than its prequel.

Sulla1980

Dark Ixion is down. He was a complete joke when compared to Valefor and Ifrit.

The high encounter rate for zaurus is really starting to piss me off. I only need to capture three more black elements to unlock Nemesis, but they won't show up.

I had to zone out while trying to complete the monster collection, especially with the tonberrys in the cave of the forgotten fayth. Just endlessly running in circles and pressing x when I got an encounter. Watched a lot of tv while collecting.

X-2 is a fun game. If I had to sum it up into one word I'd go with fun.
Back then the tone of the game kinda rubbed me the wrong way even though I ended up liking the game but this time I'm in the right mood for it. It's a good contrast to all the drama in X if you're playing both back to back. I could still do without certain scenes/events but I'm enjoying it.

Balphon

Thanks!

2/3 times I've called Yojimbo I've gotten it. What I did was just get Yuna's overdrive, summon Yojimbo, and give him like 100,000 Gil, and then he did it. I think you only need to give him 1024 or something though lol. Didn't know that at the time. There's a hidden meter that involves how much he likes you, and the higher that is, the more likely he'll do zanmato. Someone in this thread explained it pretty recently.

Pay him in powers of 2. Anything in excess of the nearest power of 2 won't alter your chances of zanmato and is wasted. 16384 gil is about where diminishing returns set in hard.

And in any event, the most important thing to do is to make sure his overdrive is full.

Perfo

Is it true that to get 100% ending in X-2 is enough to play the game more or less twice with new game plus and the %s adds to each walkthrough by going through the same events?

Kinsei

Banned
Wow, Omega was a joke. He couldn't even kill someone that had less than 5k HP.

Guess it's time to farm One Eye so I can do the Don Tonberry trick.

Falk

that puzzling face
"Dance Yuna!!!!"

DANCING YUNA, I WANT TO SEE

Is it true that to get 100% ending in X-2 is enough to play the game more or less twice with new game plus and the %s adds to each walkthrough by going through the same events?

You don't get more percentage from the same events. You do get percentages from events you missed the first time around, and essentially there are two 'routes' that the story can take in the middle portion (faction-based). While each route adds up to exactly 100% in a single playthrough, both of them together total for something like 110 or 115% (not certain on the exact amount but it was a semi-decent leeway) story completion.

Getting 100% on a first playthrough was/is an exercise in extreme frustration. It's 'simple' if you follow a guide, but the way the game is structured makes it just as simple to accidentally miss something and then either decide if you want to just say screw it, or backtrack something ridiculous like two digit hours.

Kinsei

Banned
Nemesis and Dark Shiva are down. 12 more luck and I'll take on the rest of the dark aeons and Penance.

Now that I have max defense it's nice watching attacks that used to one shot me do less than half of my health.

Roubjon

Any tips to take down Nemesis? What type of armor should I be wearing?

Stats wise I'm pretty much maxed out except for Magic and Luck. And for Luck I have around 45 for each of my main 3.

Kinsei

Banned
Bahamut and Yojimbo are down!

Stats wise I'm pretty much maxed out except for Magic and Luck. And for Luck I have around 45 for each of my main 3.

I used armor with auto-haste, auto-phoenix, auto-protect, and ribbon, with stoneproof on the other two characters. Honestly auto-phoenix was useless. You'd be better off with def+ 20%

Make sure you have auto life on at all times and spam quick hit. Use a mega elixir when your MP runs low and you'll never die.

Dynedom

Fuck Catcher Chocobo. So many years later and it is still the bane of my fucking existence. I'm tempted to just graft a BDL weapon for Tidus but there is a trophy for the damn race so I have to do it. There is no way I'm missing out on this Platinum.

Urgh.

Sulla1980

Fuck Catcher Chocobo. So many years later and it is still the bane of my fucking existence. I'm tempted to just graft a BDL weapon for Tidus but there is a trophy for the damn race so I have to do it. There is no way I'm missing out on this Platinum.

Urgh.

Took me hours to get this one. I read all of guides, but in the end it just came down to luck. Not fun

Urgh.

Getting 5 chests in the race is even worse, IMO.

Dynedom

Took me hours to get this one. I read all of guides, but in the end it just came down to luck. Not fun

It entirely is luck (okay, you do need some skill in not moving your drunk chocobo). I haven't had one good balloon spawn and that is what is killing me. Chasing after balloons is invariably what gets me bird'd. That and I forgot how awful the controls are.

Getting 5 chests in the race is even worse, IMO.

I don't remember this being so so bad but I haven't attempted it on the Remaster yet.

I also remember conquering the Butterfly Catcher (getting a rhythm and semi-memorizing the path). Catcher Chocobo is just randomized bullshit.

Dynedom

Do you have standard Dark Aeon armor (Ribbon, Auto Protect, Auto Haste and Auto Phoenix/Potion)? If you do, it'll make the battle significantly easier.

Zoe

Finally started this. I forgot how much of the beginning was "we've got voices now y'all!" :lol

Hope I didn't make the wrong choice going for the advanced sphere grid...

Roubjon

Do you have standard Dark Aeon armor (Ribbon, Auto Protect, Auto Haste and Auto Phoenix/Potion)? If you do, it'll make the battle significantly easier.

No my armor is shit. Just a bunch of ___proof abilities.

Does having DEF + 20% increase your defense past 255?

Kinsei

Banned

Yes. If you have 255 defense and auto-protect Dark Yojimbo's wakizashi attack will do over 9999 damgae. with 255 defense, auto-protect, and def+ 20% it will do less than 9999 damage.

Dynedom

Yes. I'd argue its almost required for Penance, for example (while you don't need Ribbon for it).

Have you started fighting Dark Aeons yet all?

ediT: Scratch that. You really don't need Ribbon to beat Nemesis. Auto Haste, Auto Protect and even defence+20% would be nice. With that, you've even got like 75% of the ideal armor for Penance as well. If you've got max agility, strength and defence, it helps immensely.

Get those auto abilities and spam Quick hit. You also don't need Auto-Life honestly. You can sacrifice an Aeon (don't use it's OD) . If you don't want to use Yuna, you'll need protection from Stone (I forget what other nasty shit he hits you with but Stone is your number one enemy because he probably shatters you easily). I haven't faced him yet in the remaster but this is what I remember from my PAL copy.

edit 2: If you have Wakka maxed out and with World Champ, Attack Reels should shave a lot off his HP. I just forget if using Attack Reels was a good idea or not (Nemesis counters OD's).

Roubjon

Yeah, I have max Attack, Magic Def, Defense, Speed, Evasion, and Agility. 150ish Magic and 45ish luck with my main three of Rikku, Tidus, and Wakka.

I have all the Ultimate weapons and overdrives as well. And the only Dark Aeon I've killed was is Valefor, but that was a while ago when I Zanmato'd his ass b/c he was guarding that Besaid Jecht Sphere and the Destruction Sphere I missed.

Atlantis

No, because it actually has nothing to do with your Defense stat. It just reduces the damage you take from physical attacks by 20%. Strength and Magic +X% work the same way.

Yeah, I have max Attack, Magic Def, Defense, Speed, Evasion, and Agility. 150ish Magic and 45ish luck with my main three of Rikku, Tidus, and Wakka.

I have all the Ultimate weapons and overdrives as well. And the only Dark Aeon I've killed was is Valefor, but that was a while ago when I Zanmato'd his ass b/c he was guarding that Besaid Jecht Sphere and the Destruction Sphere I missed.

A bit more Luck and you're golden, the Dark Aeons will be jokes.

Dynedom

You should honestly be pretty set for Nemesis. I don't know if you really need high luck for him, per se (you'll need it for the Dark Aeons and Penance).

A good set of armors and Nemesis should be a cakewalk.

Kinsei

Banned
The dark Anima fight has been my favorite optional fight so far. I haven't been using Aeons to tank the dark aeons overdrives, so this fight was something else. I hope the dark Magus Sisters are this fun.

Teknoman

So weapons: Whats up with some having the purple triangle icon on them? Its been awhile. Also I gotta say...I really wish weapon customization hit earlier on. Just kinda seems odd to allow you to buy weapons early on or at all, when the weapon system is based solely on customization.

Then again, I dont like when FF games focus more on custom weapons than buying/finding them.

Triangle means equipped.

Yeah, I wish customization happens earlier and is cheaper / more accessible. What happens is that people use it only around end game except during challenge runs.

Teknoman

Triangle means equipped.

Yeah, I wish customization happens earlier and is cheaper / more accessible. What happens is that people use it only around end game except during challenge runs.

Oh wow, I feel dumb now lol. Thanks for the heads up though.

But yeah, even with FFVIII, something just felt odd about not having a decent amount of weapons to chase.

Perfo

I'm having a blast with X-2, going right now through the last chapter, then I'll probably start it again with new game plus. It's funny how years ago I dismissed it immediately as a shitty sequel and now I find myself preferring this one over the original by a long range. X-2 it's really a funny and well done Final Fantasy.

Roubjon

So is there an easier way to kill the jumbo flan than to just doing double cast flare copycat over and over again? It just blows b/c you need magic to hurt the guy, but the only way to get magic is to kill this dude. So it's soooo slowww.

Kinsei

Banned
So is there an easier way to kill the jumbo flan than to just doing double cast flare copycat over and over again? It just blows b/c you need magic to hurt the guy, but the only way to get magic is to kill this dude. So it's soooo slowww.

Use Anima, pain reaches 99,999 damage at much lower magic than flare.

Roubjon

Would having Ribbon, DEF + 20%, and Break HP limit be a good armor set? Should I add auto haste or something ontop?

Or is there like a standard set that's undeniably the best that I should be shooting for? If I just had Auto Haste, Auto Protect , DEF + 20%, and a Ribbon, would I be set forever?

Sulla1980

Would having Ribbon, DEF + 20%, and Break HP limit be a good armor set? Should I add auto haste or something ontop?

Or is there like a standard set that's undeniably the best that I should be shooting for? If I just had Auto Haste, Auto Protect , DEF + 20%, and a Ribbon, would I be set forever?

There seem to be a lot of different opinions on the ideal armour set. I think that Auto Haste is a must, and Auto Protect is right up there. I personally loved having Auto Phoenix on because it made some of the end game side-quests so easy/mindless to grind away at.

Penance is the one that I used a different armour set for. You can beat him with 9,999 health, but I found it much easier to level my HP into the 25,000 range. Also, if you are doing things the way that is generally agreed as right in your fight with Penance (that is, killing those arms before they can attack), you don't need Ribbon on your armour.

Kinsei

Banned

Auto Haste, Auto Protect, DEF +20, Ribbon on one and Stoneproof on the others is undeniably better than anything with BHPL. Replace Ribbon/Stoneproof with Auto Potion for Penance.

BHPL is useless IMO. The reason you want stoneproof is because certain attacks, Like Dark Sandy's regular attack, will stone and shatter you at the same time.

Zoe

There aren't any sound settings, right? It's pretty annoying how the voices are only coming out of the center speaker :\

Roubjon

Thanks for all of the replies guys. As much as I love this game and doing this, I'm looking forward to playing a new game. I've been with this since March lol.

Auto-Haste is a must on any endgame armor IMHO. Faster battles (due to faster animations) and faster Don Tonberries (no need to recast Haste or Auto-Life). It's too useful.

Roubjon

Killed all the Dark Aeons, as well as Nemesis. Felt awesome to do that without the use of Yojimbo. I tried killing Penance and probably got him to 3/4ths dead, but ended up being a little too cocky and fucked up the turn order and got myself killed.

I guess I'll take a break and level up my other guys some more.

Top Bottom