• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

Seigyoku

I bought a Savory Shank so I could fight the King Behemoth and try to get a Defending Ring. Is the King Behemoth soloable at 119 with trusts? I've never fought it before.

I was fighting him solo with rather shitty gear on THF when I got the ring. So yes.

New RDM here. I'm starting out in Bastok and I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do with my sparks. Equipment at my level seems like a bargain compared to their gil counterparts so I'm going with that. Should I go with the stat and XP accelerators too? How about Trusts? At 500 each that seems like a good deal to fill out my party.

Aeana

New RDM here. I'm starting out in Bastok and I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do with my sparks. Equipment at my level seems like a bargain compared to their gil counterparts so I'm going with that. Should I go with the stat and XP accelerators too? How about Trusts? At 500 each that seems like a good deal to fill out my party.
Get the trusts first, for sure.

Has anyone managed to catch you on and pearl you yet?

B.K.

I'm at the end of Seekers of Adoulin. Which ring should I get? I'm think about Karieyh ring for the Regain, but I don't know if it's worth it. I don't want to get one and then have to spend 300k worth of Bayld to change.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Any suggestions for gil making?

Some googlefu directed me to look at the login campaign items.
I also have quite a few sparks now, about half full so I'll need to consider spending some of those soon. Do any of those items sell on the auction house well?

Has anyone managed to catch you on and pearl you yet?

Can I give him a pearl?
I'm not available tomorrow, but I should be on all day Friday, or at the very least available.

B.K.

Any suggestions for gil making?

Some googlefu directed me to look at the login campaign items.
I also have quite a few sparks now, about half full so I'll need to consider spending some of those soon. Do any of those items sell on the auction house well?

There are a few ways to make money. Faithful's Torso III, Faithful's Legs III, and Yorcia Visage III all usually sell for 100-200k, depending on how many are on the AH. 109 reforge items usually sell pretty well too. If you have enough Accolades, Refractive Crystals sell for 120-170k. If your rank is high enough in the cities, you can buy Sparks gear and sell it for ten times what it cost.

Whenever you get to where you can do it, Yorcia Alluvion Skirmishers are a great place for gil. If you get lucky and get a Duskslit Stone +2, it usually goes for around a million gil. Even +1s are around a half million. Last run I did, I got about four million gil worth of drops.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Thanks to both of you.

Will at least be nice to not worry about money used for warping.
I've gotten 50k from selling chest drops while leveling but it gets whittled away from warping and adventure booking.

So when you say 150k I say.. wooooow...

ZetaEpyon

Another easy thing you can do at any level is mog gardening.

Once you get the various nodes leveled up, you can make 40-50k a day for basically no effort, just by vendoring all the crap you get from it. You can boost it a little bit more if you AH certain items, and turn others in for quests. For example, 2 darksteel ore will get you 8000 gil from a quest in Bastok, and you can get them pretty often from the mining vein. I usually just save up a few stacks and then go dump them all for a quick 200k or so.

It's not a lot, but it takes no effort, and adds up over time.

Aeana

I need to get in on that.
I played for years, across many different characters, and yet never really figured out how to make money outside of lolinsectballs/moatcarps. I didn't have the patience for crafting, and I played WHM so farming was not easy. Just getting the money together for Erase back in the day was difficult. I was fortunate to receive a gift when a friend of mine quit and I've been subsisting on that ever since.

As someone that has been broke for 9/10 years that hes played, these days

1) Selling Login Campaign Items
2) Delve - selling drops, or if you have no need for plasm, buying Airlixirs and selling them
3) Alluvion Skirmish - this event is a lot of fun and super easy for anyone to join in. Lots of money to go around
4) Salvage - im not a fan of farming, but this is a lot more fun than dynamis to go solo. I usually do 1 or 2 runs a week so i dont get burned out
5) Random voidwatch shouts - another easy join event. Profitability is random with reforge items, HMPs, and rift items. However you will at least make a few bucks off of NPCing the junk

All of these except for Delve is doable with 117 gear. Delve groups will want 119 unless they are carrying you to get 119. Alluvion Yorcia is a super easy way to get 119 gear though, and the gear is amazing

ZetaEpyon

Honestly, if you have a job at max level, just get in on the Alluvion Skirmish gravy train. Even though putting together an entry item for a common 3/3/3/sword run in Yorcia costs about 750k (125k/person if you split), you'll make that back and then some in like 20 minutes. With a little luck on drops, you can easily get 1M+ worth of items in a single run.

On top of that, the gear that drops in there is generally quite good to begin with, and it's practically always just free-lotted now since most people who've been doing it already have everything.

I have a crap-ton of skirmish parts from previous login campaigns, so I would totally be willing to put together some runs at no cost, if people are interested.

Aeana

Honestly, if you have a job at max level, just get in on the Alluvion Skirmish gravy train. Even though putting together an entry item for a common 3/3/3/sword run in Yorcia costs about 750k (125k/person if you split), you'll make that back and then some in like 20 minutes. With a little luck on drops, you can easily get 1M+ worth of items in a single run.

On top of that, the gear that drops in there is generally quite good to begin with, and it's practically always just free-lotted now since most people who've been doing it already have everything.

I have a crap-ton of skirmish parts from previous login campaigns, so I would totally be willing to put together some runs at no cost, if people are interested.

What kind of gear do people expect you to have for that? ilvl 117?

B.K.

You can probably do a 3/3/3 Yorcia Alluvion with 117 gear as long as you can heal yourself. It's not really a hard event, but you can get unlucky sometimes and get hit hard by the butterflies or aggro the big butterfly, if you do a blade run.

ZetaEpyon

What kind of gear do people expect you to have for that? ilvl 117?

You can probably do a 3/3/3 Yorcia Alluvion with 117 gear as long as you can heal yourself. It's not really a hard event, but you can get unlucky sometimes and get hit hard by the butterflies or aggro the big butterfly, if you do a blade run.

read up on how to work the book and you can go in naked

Otherwise, anything evasive and /DNC works, NIN/DNC and DNC/NIN are best. 117 gear will be just fine. You will quickly get 119 gear doing it

Yeah, essentially for a 3/3/3/blade, we usually take 3-4 DD, 1 nuker, and 1 healer.

The nuker is probably the one where gear is most critical, since you ideally want to be able to one-shot elementals in there. DD is a little less stringent, but some degree of self-sufficiency helps a lot. As mentioned, combinations with NIN, DNC, or both as main and/or sub work very well, but are by no means mandatory. Piercing weapons are a plus, since the butterflies are weak to that.

The healer is definitely the least gear-dependent spot, since they're generally responsible for manning the book and spawning friendly mobs. When I do that on WHM, I rarely do much other than that, save for maybe an AOE Cure 4 for cureskin at the beginning of each level. In theory, you wouldn't even need to be max level.

Edit: I also have parts for lower tier runs that we could do if people want to get a feel for how it goes before using a more costly entry item.

I'd like that. I'd rather not risk the small amount of money I do have on something that's totally alien go me.
its actually a fun event in my opinion. Its basically playing tug of war. 5 people kill monsters to gain points that are used to spawn allied monsters to go attack the stronghold. The enemy stronghold spawns monsters to attack your base. The 6th person operates the book to spawn monsters

If you use a Eudaemon Blade when making your pop lots of butterflies will spawn, easy for melee to kill. If you use a Eudaemon Cape to make the pop then lots of elementals will spawn which are easy for mages. Smaller amounts of the opposite mobs spawn either way

For cape runs you will usually run 1 melee and 4 mages, for sword runs 4 melee and 1 mage. The 6th person is usually a WHM, sometimes a COR or a BRD, and they operate the book

ZetaEpyon

I'd like that. I'd rather not risk the small amount of money I do have on something that's totally alien go me.

I'll try to set something up tonight if people are on. The risk is 0 gil, since I'll provide the entry parts (only the leader needs the key item).

Suikoguy

Another easy thing you can do at any level is mog gardening.

Once you get the various nodes leveled up, you can make 40-50k a day for basically no effort, just by vendoring all the crap you get from it. You can boost it a little bit more if you AH certain items, and turn others in for quests. For example, 2 darksteel ore will get you 8000 gil from a quest in Bastok, and you can get them pretty often from the mining vein. I usually just save up a few stacks and then go dump them all for a quick 200k or so.

It's not a lot, but it takes no effort, and adds up over time.

Well, gonna have to buy the last expansion then...
The master pack I bought years ago did not have SoA yet.

Edit: Oh wait, apparently you just need Rank 3? I'm just about there.
Still might get the last expansion, but might wait for a sale.

Suikoguy

Do be warned that it takes a while to get the nodes leveled up.

But SoA is worth it anyway, so...

Better get started then :)

SoA add anything else that would benefit a newbie? or wait for the next steam sale?

I still need to figure out how to find you all once I'm in-game.

On another note is there a quick way to move to different places? Manually making the trek from Bastok to anywhere is kind of tiring.
there are lots of ways, the easiest now is home point warping

Click on any home point to activate it as a warp point from any other home point

ZetaEpyon

On another note is there a quick way to move to different places? Manually making the trek from Bastok to anywhere is kind of tiring.

If you aren't on tonight, I'll leave some linkpearls on the concierge in Bastok. I meant to do it the other day but forgot. :(

type /sea charactername and you can search for people. Then send a tell. I've been looking for you nightly but our times don't seem to sync up.

Also the update this month is totally adding a second story to mog houses.

ZetaEpyon

The Goddess's Gala has kicked off today, starting with the new discount campaign. If you've been waiting to pick up the latest expansion or full collection, or holding off on a world transfer, now is the time!

The discount campaign runs from today through Monday, June 1st at 12:00am (PDT).

Throught the campaign, downloadable versions of the "Seekers of Adoulin" Expansion Pack and the FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition, together with the world transfer service, are available at discounted prices. Vana'diel is a living, breathing world that has expanded over time. Take this chance to get each expansion pack and experience the land of Altana in all its glory!

Discounts:
Seekers of Adoulin expansion pack
** $4.99 ** (reg. $29.99, 83% discount)

Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition
** $9.99 ** (reg. $39.99, 75% discount)

World Transfer Service
** $9.00 ** (reg. $18.00, 50% discount)

Next up: The Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign will be starting on May 15th.

Suikoguy

Their webstore is really odd/shitty,

To make a purchase I had to have them send me a text message with number verification, and now I have to wait for the order to be approved. It's been over an hour now.

edit:Ah, finally got confirmation.

Aeana

They should make world transfers free when you come back via welcome back. I know two people who wanna play but don’t want to fork over the money to transfer to Sylph. The discount may help, though... Hopefully.

Suikoguy

They should make world transfers free when you come back via welcome back. I know two people who wanna play but don’t want to fork over the money to transfer to Sylph. The discount may help, though... Hopefully.

Yeah, especially if it's automated which I suspect it is.
Link it to returning players, and allow only one transfer per account.
Or allow all accounts one free transfer?

ZetaEpyon

I think that having a fee to do the transfer is generally OK (you can transfer as many characters on your account as you want in one shot), but the normal price is way too expensive - $18 is just absurd at this point in the game. I would like to see them include a free transfer on reactivation during the welcome back campaigns though; I have to think a lot more people would be interested.

Suikoguy

Ok, i'm trying to connect to GuildWorks, and it says I need to login to the Linkshell Community.

I can't seem to do that since it won't take my username or password. I tried the 4 Letter / 4 Number playonline Id and every other conceivable option and nothing is accepted. Is this even supported anymore?

Edit: On a hunch I tried an old password and it worked... *sigh*

Suikoguy

Well, I finally unlocked Blue Mage... and the chance rates to acquire skills are just too abysmal. I managed to get Pollen, then maxed out my Blue Magic skill and I'm attempting to get Dust Cloud, 7 times so far and still have not learned it. At rates like these, it would take HUNDREDS of hours just to learn the 180+ skills. They should have made it where being exposed to the skill gives a random amount of progress to acquiring the skill instead of this RNG shit.

Edit: I take this back for now, I was trying to learn something that could not be learned, the guide I was using made me think it was useable when it was not...
Edit 2: So after taking FOREVER to get my first blue spell, the ones after are very easy.

Also going to give RUN/SAM or RDM/BLM a run, and;

Oh, and finally got the Carbuncle Ruby to drop so I'll checkout Summoner too.

Aeana

You're bringing back bad memories, man. Fighting leeches as a level 30 white mage for hours to get my Carbuncle ruby. Following a friend around healing him while he tried to unlock blue magic. Oof.

Well, I finally unlocked Blue Mage... and the chance rates to acquire skills are just too abysmal. I managed to get Pollen, then maxed out my Blue Magic skill and I'm attempting to get Dust Cloud, 7 times so far and still have not learned it. At rates like these, it would take HUNDREDS of hours just to learn the 180+ skills. They should have made it where being exposed to the skill gives a random amount of progress to acquiring the skill instead of this RNG shit.

Edit: I take this back for now, I was trying to learn something that could not be learned, the guide I was using made me think it was useable when it was not...
Edit 2: So after taking FOREVER to get my first blue spell, the ones after are very easy.

a couple will still suck pretty bad. One of them you need to learn from meeble burrows

I finally hit BLU 99 a few minutes ago, and used a grand total of about 5 spells (and managed to keep Blue Magic capped, and Sword almost capped) the entire way.

Sprout Smack, Cocoon, and Foot Kick at the start. Head Butt at 12, Bludgeon at 18. Picked up a few other spells along the way (didn't get Auto-Refresh until after 80), but basically spammed Sprout Smack and Foot Kick from 12 to 99, mixing Bludgeon in down the final stretch.

You can explore the world and learn all the spells as you level, but there will be roadblocks (to access some mobs you need to progress through Zilart and Promathia for example, and soloing those is best done at or near 99) so my advice: take advantage of double XP and level simply now, get your Blue Magic skill up, and you'll have an easier time of it afterwards. Keep your Artifact hands handy when you get them, they help for learning new spells too.

One piece of advice: right now the Festival of Swords is going on. Speak to an event Moogle to be given an Ibushi Shinai sword, which has a DMG rating of 1. You don't need to have it enchanted or whatever the moogle asks you to do for participating in the event, just keep the Ibushi forever--it will be your best friend for learning spells in areas you've overleved, as it allows you to feed TP to mobs without killing them too quickly. This sword is only available during the Festival of Swords event (as far as I know), so make sure you grab it!

I finally hit BLU 99 a few minutes ago, and used a grand total of about 5 spells (and managed to keep Blue Magic capped, and Sword almost capped) the entire way.

Sprout Smack, Cocoon, and Foot Kick at the start. Head Butt at 12, Bludgeon at 18. Picked up a few other spells along the way (didn't get Auto-Refresh until after 80), but basically spammed Sprout Smack and Foot Kick from 12 to 99, mixing Bludgeon in down the final stretch.

You can explore the world and learn all the spells as you level, but there will be roadblocks (to access some mobs you need to progress through Zilart and Promathia for example, and soloing those is best done at or near 99) so my advice: take advantage of double XP and level simply now, get your Blue Magic skill up, and you'll have an easier time of it afterwards. Keep your Artifact hands handy when you get them, they help for learning new spells too.

One piece of advice: right now the Festival of Swords is going on. Speak to an event Moogle to be given an Ibushi Shinai sword, which has a DMG rating of 1. You don't need to have it enchanted or whatever the moogle asks you to do for participating in the event, just keep the Ibushi forever--it will be your best friend for learning spells in areas you've overleved, as it allows you to feed TP to mobs without killing them too quickly. This sword is only available during the Festival of Swords event (as far as I know), so make sure you grab it!
plenty of 1 damage clubs to use. I use rounsey wand

Suikoguy

Thanks for the advice Mistwalker!

Yeah, I picked up that sword when I saw the moggle popup.

I've been mostly just leveling and unlocking various classes. I might put-off Blu for awhile to take advantage of the double exp, which apparently counts in addition to the emperor band, which now can basically be used 100% of the time.

Leveling could not be any easier at this point. Edit: Seriously, I just got 1600 exp from a single very tough mob. No EXP chain, just a single mob. Edit2: Shit, now 1700. This is just wrong.

Aeana

I had a good time tonight. I still feel really bad for holding everybody up for over an hour. I was certain I had been to Yorcia, but it turns out it was Marjami and I just saw a map of Yorcia online. I hate wasting other people's time, so I'm super sorry about that.

I'm still feeling generally lost with all of the new stuff, but at least I did get some gear to boost me a little bit.

ZetaEpyon

I had a good time tonight. I still feel really bad for holding everybody up for over an hour. I was certain I had been to Yorcia, but it turns out it was Marjami and I just saw a map of Yorcia online. I hate wasting other people's time, so I'm super sorry about that.

I'm still feeling generally lost with all of the new stuff, but at least I did get some gear to boost me a little bit.

No worries, we got a couple runs in, and the goal was to get you guys involved anyway. Now you're set to go on a moment's notice, too. :)

Suikoguy

After the Sparks weapons/equipment, what should I go for as a primarily solo player?

Use the Rems Tales to reforge Artifacts or go for something else? There is just so much stuff. Some of the high end weapon requirements look bonkers, with needing to farm chain NM's 50+ times, which may not even be possible solo. I saw the earlier post with the Solo Assault Guide, which looks like most of them can be done by yourself.

This is still a bit off in the distance for me as I only just reached 50, and need to tackle the LB missions, but I like to plan ahead.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, there is a ton of stuff to learn, it's seemingly never-ending.

Top Bottom