• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

Aeana

This one is relevant to me, since I just tried to do it tonight and failed:

Imperial Agent Rescue
The frequency of Mamool Ja Warder's special abilities has been increased.

Stupid things.

B.K.

iLevel versions of Voidwatch armor in the update, too.

Edit:

Onca Suit
Cannot equip leggear
DEF:428 HP+164
MP+88 STR+93 DEX+76 VIT+102 AGI+70
INT+51 MND+60 CHR+65
Accuracy+124 Attack+147
Evasion+149 Magic Evasion+252
"Magic Def. Bonus"+12 Haste+16%
"Double Attack"+10% "Resist Stun"+90
99 all jobs

That piece is crazy.

ZetaEpyon

Killed an NM in Escha - Zi'Tah, and got some stuff:
ffxi_2015.05.14_04.24.17.png

Also the aoe display is pretty cool:

Yussssss

Loona

Holy damn, between the new mog safe, AoE display, added soloability in quests I thought forgotten and Rhapsodies rewards I think I might return after all.

How soloable is Rhapsodies supposed to be?

Also, did they ever tweak that Bastok/Dangruf quest "All By Myself"?

ZetaEpyon

Holy damn, between the new mog safe, AoE display, added soloability in quests I thought forgotten and Rhapsodies rewards I think I might return after all.

How soloable is Rhapsodies supposed to be?

Also, did they ever tweak that Bastok/Dangruf quest "All By Myself"?

Well I just did all (I think) of the first part myself last night, so...

ApharmdX

Banned
Well there appears to be ilevel Voidwatch armor, so maybe that will drive interest somehow. Plus trusts can be used in VW now.

That'll help, but you'll still need procs, so drop rates probably need to be increased a bit. Maybe a KI that increases item drop rates in Voidwatch?

Also, does the AoE display work on songs/rolls?

B.K.

Well there appears to be ilevel Voidwatch armor, so maybe that will drive interest somehow. Plus trusts can be used in VW now.

I wonder how bad that stuff will be to get. Even with the Voidwatch stufff IHOP has done, I have never gotten a single piece of armor to drop.

Of course, there is still a ton of information--such as using sparks to make gil while you level your first job, the importance of A.M.A.N. Vouchers, the differences between Fields of Valor and Grounds of Valor, what I should be spending my login points on, etc etc--that I haven't seen all in one place.
For my own edification:
  • Sparks: use to buy equipment cheaply or sell higher-point items for gil. Per reddit I am selling Acheron shield for about 26K gil
  • A.M.A.N. Vouchers: I have no idea what to do with these but I'm hoarding them
  • Fields of Valor: RoE for zones that you can grind to get accelerated XP
  • Grounds of Valor: Same as FoV but for a dungeon. I'm honestly not sure what the definition of a dungeon is since it seems to be similar to any other zone
  • Login points: not sure what to spend these on
Bonus questions:
  • Trusts: Initially I did the Trust quest in Bastok and got the initial Trust as well as whatever I could buy from the Sparks vendor. I then went to the other two starting cities and did their trust initiation quests and got their starting Trusts. Once I hit Rank 3 in Bastok I got the next trusts from the starting cities.
  • Abyssea: I was a little late to the party apparently since from what I've read you want to do the initial quests once you hit 30. Beyond that it seems pretty complicated as to what to do around there.
  • Missions: I tried to do these as I leveled up but I'm thinking I'm going to level my main to a high enough level and burn through them. Should I max out at 99 and then do that or can I be at a lower level?

Wow, a few weeks ago I was talking about coming back to get the last few Achievements I needed on the 360 (what I play on) for my grandest accomplishment, 100% FFXI Achievements!

One of the ones I needed still was highest Assault Rank, looks like I picked a good time to try and achieve that one!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Having just gotten all 3 "Rhapsody KI's" it seems to me that the 2 fights involved are intended to be done around level 50 and 75 respectively.

Its kinda nuts to think that these things add (amongst a bunch of other good stuff) a permanent 90% xp bonus and a 4th trust to summon... getting to 99 should be so easy now.

Parshias7

Is there anyone on who can distribute pearls for the GAF LS on Sylph? I checked around the concierges earlier today and they were cleaned out. My character's name is Parshias.

Gonna see if I can work through those new missions, the key items sound sweet. Not sure if I'll be able to finish the last one solo since I'm only Lv. 76.

ZetaEpyon

Is there anyone on who can distribute pearls for the GAF LS on Sylph? I checked around the concierges earlier today and they were cleaned out. My character's name is Parshias.

Gonna see if I can work through those new missions, the key items sound sweet. Not sure if I'll be able to finish the last one solo since I'm only Lv. 76.

I'll be on shortly myself, and can get you one if you need it.

Caj814

Wow looking at the notes it looks like I can finally finish the progression on my mythic since I had trouble for the longest trying to just get a group in there so I could move into the next step

should I just focus on leveling a class to 75 or 99 and then worry about doing the class quests like ninja later
It depends in part on what advanced class you're interested in. The short answer is "either way works."

Obviously taking a basic class like THF all the way to 99 is beneficial for a lot of reasons, and you can then go on an "other job unlocking spree" using that class, then switch it to your subjob afterwards.

But if you're sure you want to be a NIN first and foremost, you could level something like WAR or THF to 50, easily high enough to do the Ninja quest, and then level Ninja with the other as your subjob all the way to 99. Some jobs--particularly spellcasting jobs, including Ninja--require a bit of gil to work with as you need to buy spells and/or materials to cast them. If you're short on funds, all the more reason to level to 99 first and make enough money to support your next chosen job. (Ninja in particular, if you're willing to quest for the spells, is now quite cheap on the materials front, fortunately).

There are two weeks left in the double XP campaign, that plus the whopping 90% bonus to all earned XP once you complete the new Rhapsody quest means you can't go wrong either way, everything will level quickly. If you have a full 30 Records of Eminence objectives active at all times, you'll have enough sparks for money and gear in short order too.

It depends in part on what advanced class you're interested in. The short answer is "either way works."

Obviously taking a basic class like THF all the way to 99 is beneficial for a lot of reasons, and you can then go on an "other job unlocking spree" using that class, then switch it to your subjob afterwards.

But if you're sure you want to be a NIN first and foremost, you could level something like WAR or THF to 50, easily high enough to do the Ninja quest, and then level Ninja with the other as your subjob all the way to 99. Some jobs--particularly spellcasting jobs, including Ninja--require a bit of gil to work with as you need to buy spells and/or materials to cast them. If you're short on funds, all the more reason to level to 99 first and make enough money to support your next chosen job. (Ninja in particular, if you're willing to quest for the spells, is now quite cheap on the materials front, fortunately).

There are two weeks left in the double XP campaign, that plus the whopping 90% bonus to all earned XP once you complete the new Rhapsody quest means you can't go wrong either way, everything will level quickly. If you have a full 30 Records of Eminence objectives active at all times, you'll have enough sparks for money and gear in short order too.

good tips thanks...

I guess i'll keep on leveling thief then. 63 more levels to go

One thing to note about XI is that it's more a game of having a stable of jobs and subjobs appropriate to the situation, than it is a game of one class all the way. The flexibility of the job system is powerful, don't ignore it!

Ken

When level can the new Rhapsody quest be done at?

When level can the new Rhapsody quest be done at?

This portion starts at level 3 and wraps up at level 75. A balanced 75 party with proper skill ups should be able to take the boss in the last fight, but it has charm so you'll want to be careful (being charmed wipes your trusts). I tried to solo it on nin but my ninja is not very skilled or geared, so my damage output was too low for it. She hits like a baby though.

Loona

I caved in and resubbed - been away since October.

I'm glad you can have more simultaneous RoE quests along with everything else, that way I can always have all the crystal spoils ones active. I'll probably have to read about the unity stuff, since that's a new task as well, and I noticed I'm yet to do the 2nd level syncing task there.

Do people still makes Gusgen skeleton parties for early levels?
Sylph won't necessarily do things like Leviathan, but I wonder if that might still be a viable spot to get that task out of the way. If not, are there other places where one might find a group of lower level jobs trying to raise them?

I caved in and resubbed - been away since October.

I'm glad you can have more simultaneous RoE quests along with everything else, that way I can always have all the crystal spoils ones active. I'll probably have to read about the unity stuff, since that's a new task as well, and I noticed I'm yet to do the 2nd level syncing task there.

Do people still makes Gusgen skeleton parties for early levels?
Sylph won't necessarily do things like Leviathan, but I wonder if that might still be a viable spot to get that task out of the way. If not, are there other places where one might find a group of lower level jobs trying to raise them?

I dont think thats popular anymore with the rise of trusts. But I can say that you can fight stuff in the new Escha zone starting at level 50, so you could potentially start acquiring points to do high level stuff very early on. There's enough newer folks on that it shouldnt be hard to find people to level sync with, plus you can summon 4 trusts now if you clear rhapsodies.

Loona

I dont think thats popular anymore with the rise of trusts. But I can say that you can fight stuff in the new Escha zone starting at level 50, so you could potentially start acquiring points to do high level stuff very early on. There's enough newer folks on that it shouldnt be hard to find people to level sync with, plus you can summon 4 trusts now if you clear rhapsodies.

My lowest job is 70+ GEO, everything else is 99 - I was asking about syncing in Gusgen because I hope to find somewhere where there are lower-level people leveling...

Since I'm relapsing, my GF is curious so she read up on the requirements, and apparently the Vista is mentioned as the oldest supported version of Windows, although the game is 13 years old - her (ol) laptop still runs XP, which should be enough considering the game's age...
Is that Vista thing more of a recommendation, or an actual requirement considering some of the more recent (if small) GUI updates?

Khort

Is there an order to play expansion? Should I finish the "vanilla" mission before starting "Zilart", then COP? Should I play in "release date order"?
I would like to avoid some spoilers from later expansion if possible

I read this some there is some progression" blocker" http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Missions but seeing rhapsody intro with my lv 3 character while zoning back to town got me confused (should I recognized this guy from another mission?) . Also people said you have to do abyssea at lv30

(also should I post here or in the "festival of goddess" thread?)

Mika

Is there an order to play expansion? Should I finish the "vanilla" mission before starting "Zilart", then COP? Should I play in "release date order"?

I read this some there is some progression" blocker" http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Missions but seeing rhapsody intro with my lv 3 character while zoning back to town got me confused (should I recognized this guy from another mission?) . Also people said you have to do abyssea at lv30

(also should I post here or in the "festival of goddess" thread?)

tl;dr: Playing them in release order would be safest. For a convoluted web of dependencies:
You can't even start Zilart until you're Rank 6 in one of the nation missions, so that's covered. CoP technically takes place two years after RoZ, but there's not really any spoilers from my memory. There's a loose connection from CoP to both ToAU and WotG, but you can really go through both of the latter just fine whenever. WotG should come after you hit Rank 6, but you don't need anything beyond that. The Rank7-10 missions are largely self contained, through Windurst's gives some backstory on what you'll see in WotG, and Sandy's gives some on CoP. The end of Abyssea shouldn't be seen until after CoP, but you're free to at least kill enough bosses to get all your Lunar Abyssites. The Addons are whatever, and don't tie into anything. I'm still in the middle of it, but Adoulin seems to be its own thing as well. Rhapsodies would benefit from having completed RoZ and gotten at least into Chapter 4 of Promathia.

For Abyssea, you "start" it at Lv30. There's not much to do before ~Lv75, but talking to Joachim, checking the chest, and doing some of the introductory stuff lets you start accumulating stones which give you time in Abyssea. Your time will be limited a lot at first, so starting it earlier will let you get more in stock for when you're ready to start doing things there. (Once you start, "stones" for time will automatically accrue)
When you're ready to do Abyssea for reals, go after the Azure, Ivory, and Crimson Abyssites of Celerity first to dramatically increase the number of stones you have.

Loona

There's no real requirement to play them by release order, although it help when it comes to recognizing some characters and plot points.
You can only really start Zilart after beating the common branch of the nation missions anyway.

It might be a better idea to look at it in terms of lowest level required to do the initial missions for each path.
For example, while Zilart assumes your level is high enough to have beaten half the nation paths, Chains of Promathia was designed to only get you in fights starting at level 30 - although back then you were forced into those levels based on the area, and thus needed full parties that knew what they were doing to advance - this was important to help make sure newer players could play alongside veteran players who'd probably beaten Zilart by then.
Interestingly enough, there's a couple of fights that require you to have finished both Zilart and CoP, tying them together.

IIRC Treasures of Aht Urghan was designed to get you started at level 50, although then it expected the use of parties too, but early on, like most expansions, it's a matter of travelling a bit and seeing some cutscenes, and you can worry about the fights/farming by the time your level is high enough to handle that

For the most part, I'd recommend looking into the wiki for the start of the missions, and seeing where you need to go and do for each, and handle that as you pass by those areas .
If you have some form of Sneak and Invisible by the time you get to Jeuno, it's not complicated to get started with CoP and Wings of the Goddess.

Most of the early scenes aren't really too reference heavy anyway - that sort of thing usually comes up about halfway through, and by then you should be capable enough to handle most of the fights if you've been soloing it all.

That being said, what I'm reading about Rhapsodies make it look like it would make it easier to advance through everything else - SE's update video mostly shows Lion and Zeid, who appear in the common nation stories, and Gilgamesh - any spoilerish info about those characters comes up much further in later mission likes like Zilart or WotG.

Since the game is designed so that you can meet some of the same characters in different mission lines and quests (for example, Zeid appears a lot in the Dark Knight quests, and those appearances are mostly independent of the times you meet him during nation or Zilart missions - let alone WotG, which sticks to his past), I wouldn't worry too much - where there's a major issue with character appearances not making since, the game applies the necessary restrictions.

Also people said you have to do abyssea at lv30

It helps a lot with leveling (I haven't actually tried the Abyssea La Theine worm parties, but spent plenty in the Abyssea Altepa doll ones), but the bulk of the content is best enjoyed at higher levels. It's nice to get you up to speed by the time regular leveling becomes slower, and almost throws gear at you if you spend enough time efficiently there.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, for the Abyssea stuff, make sure you talk to Joachim at 30 to get your stones started and such, but I would never recommend that a new player look to something like a worms party for leveling at that point. It can be a convenient thing for people leveling a second or third (or twenty-second >.>) job, but I'm not sure that it's really even that much faster than doing GoV with trusts now. Particularly considering that due to the way exp in Abyssea works, it takes a long time for the exp to really ramp up at that level.

Parshias7

I've been spending a ton of time on various wikis, trying to catch up on everything I've missed since I stopped playing. (a shitload, as it turns out) I'll definitely be spending the next week or so just leveling to 99 and finishing off various quests for new jobs and some mission stuff, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Some of the FFXIAH class guides have some good gear recommendations, but I'm not sure where to start.

What kinds of content should I be reasonably able to solo as a Lv. 99 with the basic sparks gear and trusts? It seems like the big end-game stuff nowadays is Delve, (?) but I think I have quite a bit of legwork to do before jumping into that.

Mika

I've been spending a ton of time on various wikis, trying to catch up on everything I've missed since I stopped playing. (a shitload, as it turns out) I'll definitely be spending the next week or so just leveling to 99 and finishing off various quests for new jobs and some mission stuff, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Some of the FFXIAH class guides have some good gear recommendations, but I'm not sure where to start.

What kinds of content should I be reasonably able to solo as a Lv. 99 with the basic sparks gear and trusts? It seems like the big end-game stuff nowadays is Delve, (?) but I think I have quite a bit of legwork to do before jumping into that.

Pick one or two jobs to start gearing first, no sense in getting too overwhelmed. Start Abyssea stuff if you haven't already:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Abyssea_Guide
You don't have to do stuff in there right away, but get things going at least. Aim for the Abyssites of Celerity first in there, and then branch out to some gear and atma when you're ready.

Look at AF and Relic i109 Reforged gear for your jobs and see what looks good compared to the Sparks gear. Join any LS stuff you see if you're high enough to get some noob time in and maybe some cool stuff. And if there's stuff you want but can't do solo/don't understand, pester people for warm bodies.

Parshias7

Do you still lose all your outpost warps if you change home country? I never had a chance to try out the other two nation's storylines because I didn't want to lose my warps, since I think they got deleted even if you switched back. I guess they're less important now that there are a hundred million ways to teleport around, but having all three starting zones outpost warps is kinda cool and I don't wanna lose it.

Do you still lose all your outpost warps if you change home country? I never had a chance to try out the other two nation's storylines because I didn't want to lose my warps, since I think they got deleted even if you switched back. I guess they're less important now that there are a hundred million ways to teleport around, but having all three starting zones outpost warps is kinda cool and I don't wanna lose it.
Im about 90% sure you dont lose them, though they arent that useful anymore

Mika

They changed it twice, first so that if you changed nations and changed back, they'd be restored. Later, they said whatever and had them carry over between nations.

Khort

tl;dr: Playing them in release order would be safest. For a convoluted web of dependencies: ...

There's no real requirement to play them by release order, although it help when it comes to recognizing some characters and plot points.
You can only really start Zilart after beating the common branch of the nation missions anyway.
It might be a better idea to look at it in terms of lowest level required to do the initial missions for each path.

Thanks guy I really appreciate!

B.K.

once you talk to him the first time his storehouse just grows without your interaction, you can hold a max of 3 stones at a time, more once you have certain KIs

And everyone that can needs to start Abyssea so they can get the Atmas, Lunar Abyssite, and Cruor from the chest from the Abyssea campaign.

Top Bottom