• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
fortified_concept said:
And I still insist all this is Sony's fault. I mean c'mon it was fucking obvious MS was courting SE.

There is a difference between courting and SE blowing MS behind a VW camper van in the carpark of a bowling alley after closing.

While this is a MEGATON of unparalleled proportions I do think we need to try and remain calm until after Sony's conference tomorrow.

I mean, it's not as if Sony didn't know this was going to happen.

I'm not sure just what Sony can have to respond to such news but we've got to allow them their 'day in court'.

And owing to the fact the entire world's gaming population will be judging them that phrasing is probably correct.

Changed my mind. Last GIF had Sony showing off MGS4 on their padd. This one seems much more apt.

worfkillsonyc.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kagari said:
Really :/
How do you know how long it's going to be delayed, if it is being delayed further at all? The game is still being made with Crystal Tools on PC.

cilonen

BruceLeeRoy said:
So wait im confused..Is FFXIII coming out on PS3 and 360 at the same time or PS3 first and then 360 later?

(Time ->)

JPN PS3 Release >>>>>>>>>>>>US PS360 Release >>>>>>>>>>> EU PS360 Release

As best we can make out so far.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jeff-DSA said:
Three weeks ago:

Kaz walks into the Square Enix's offices, sees an Xbox 360 dev kit.

Kaz: Hah, still working on those 2nd-tier franchises, huh? Well, you gotta fund the Final Fantasy projects somehow, right?

SE: Yeah...about that Kaz, we need to talk about something. E3 is coming up and we've got a few announcements to make.

Kaz: Yes, like FFXIII coming to PS3 exclusively!

SE: Well, that wouldn't be an announcement, since we already said that before. I guess this is both an announcement and a retraction.

Kaz: Wha...what do you mean?

SE: We're taking FFXIII to the 360.

Kaz spends the next minute letting his blood boil. He's not sure what to do, suddenly, over in lobby next to the some couches he notices a rack with People, Time, Newsweek, and other various magazines all available for reading. Immediately he knows what to do.

SE: No! NOT OUR RACK! Kaz, you...

Kaz shoves the rack with full force, and the magazines scatter as the rack skitters across the lobby. In a flash, Kaz is out the front door.

SE: So, who is going to pick this up? Didn't we hire a few more helper monkeys after that MS check came in? Get them on it.

Monkey hate clean!!

LowParry

Ravidrath said:
I really don't understand why people care if their game is exclusive to their system.

Why is the game only fun if people have to buy your system to play it? Why is only good if other people are suffering while you enjoy it?

You still get to play the game you wanted to play.

Because System Wars is a game to most people. They like to see people get miserable. Sad world we live in but hey, we as gamers are the new mainstream entertainment of the world. Mwahahaha!

BobsRevenge said:
What? I never speculated on any ports. I'm just saying that the speculative talk is uncalled for and anyone who actually played the game would know this.

No, you misunderstand me.

I mean you're fighting off any negative spin just a little too much in this thread. It's not spiteful or anything, but you give off an air of this not being a big deal yet at the same time I think you're the most butt hurt here.

Nothing personal, it's just my impression.

Torquill

BobsRevenge said:
What? I never speculated on any ports. I'm just saying that the speculative talk is uncalled for and anyone who actually played the game would know this.

I did play the game and saw nothing in the game that indicates any such thing. I'm assuming you're reffering to all of the PS3 references?

That's completely asanine. Changing some lines of dialog and replacing/removing a few instances of Sony products? That's fucking trivial, that's an insignificant percentage of the port work.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
tehbear said:
I don't see how multiplatform FF13 helps Nintendo's market share. So now you have people buying both 360 or PS3 for this game.

Well they're only going to buy one OR the other..in most cases..

tehbear said:
Does it mean PS3 exclusive will move more HD consoles overall than a multiplatform release? Even if that was the case and people are buying a PS3 just for FF13, it still doesn't help Sony when the front-loaded beast dies down. I say overall the HD consoles are so far back on momentum that this doesn't matter. This doesn't alter Nintendo's demographic anymore than the HD twins' demographic. Now if this moved to the Wii it'd be a different story.

At worst it's neutral for them.

As an exclusive I think it might have held more power for Sony in Japan against Nintendo. But they're unlikely to throw their own weight behind it (in terms of marketing), and I just think anything that hurts Sony in Japan helps Nintendo more than Microsoft (if it help at all..if the ps3 were a threat at all there).

USC-fan

Banned
As a xbox 360 / PS3 owner...this news saddens me. Multi-platform usually means the game runs like shit on both systems.

Pretty sad this is really the biggest news out of MS conference......Guess it give something for the fanboys to fight about.

yoopoo

Banned
If the game was moneyhatted then it would be released in Japan too - Square simply looked at the low PS3 hardware and software sales and made the decision.

What kind of a dumb ass company would not like to get max sales from their software. Gotta be a fanboy developer to do something like that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ravidrath said:
I really don't understand why people care if their game is exclusive to their system.

Why is the game only fun if people have to buy your system to play it? Why is only good if other people are suffering while you enjoy it?

The 360 port is being done alongside the NA/EU localization. They haven't started it yet, except for some possible feasibility tests.

Part of the issue is the time line. Of they delay the release of Ps3 to accommodate development on 360, that's BS. If they don't pull devs or skimp on features, or delay the game, then who really cares. As long as the game is fantastic, it can come to the PS2, the Genesis and the original Game Boy for all I care.

stalker

BruceLeeRoy said:
So are they finishing the PS3 version first and then working on the 360 version or have they been working
on them in tandem for a while?

Because I was getting the impression from the Q&A that they hadn't started the 360 version and if thats the
case does that mean FFXIII in 2020.

We don't know, but this (once again) looks quite clear:

http://media.1up.com/media/03/5/7/4/lg/578.jpg?r

My guess is that they have started or will start the 360 version so that it is ready within one year from the Japan PS3 release. Just guessing.

It's odd that it's still PS3-exclusive in Japan, considering that 360 is continuing to get a fair number of exclusive JRPGs (for reasons that baffle me, personally).

Haunted

What's this PC talk?

schuelma said:
At the people crying about Ami when those same people love it when he kicks the shit out of the Wii in 5 threads a day.

God this E3 is already awesome.
:lol pretty much.

LowParry

Father_Brain said:
It's odd that it's still PS3-exclusive in Japan, considering that 360 is continuing to get a fair number of exclusive JRPGs (for reasons that baffle me, personally).

It's all about the hardware -coughmoneycough-

FrankT

Reuters

LOS ANGELES, July 14 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) said Square Enix Co (9684.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) would launch the "Final Fantasy XIII" for its Xbox 360 video game console, sharing the upcoming version of the blockbuster role-playing game with Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz)(SNE.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) PlayStation3 (PS3).

The surprise move, announced on Monday at the E3 video game trade show, is expected to boost the Xbox 360's competitiveness against the PS3, as Square Enix has so far only said it was developing the next installment of the "Final Fantasy" series for the Sony console.

Square Enix, a Japanese game software publisher also known for its "Kingdom Hearts" and "Dragon Quest" game series, has sold 85 million units of "Final Fantasy" games.

The development, however, may fall short of shoring up the Xbox 360 demand in Japan, where it trails the PS3 and Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Wii in sales, as the Xbox 360 version is scheduled for launch in North America and Europe, and not for Japan. (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; editing by Jeffrey Benkoe

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN1446061620080714

zoku88

Kbsmoker said:
As a xbox 360 / PS3 owner...this news saddens me. Multi-platform usually means the game runs like shit on both systems.

Pretty sad this is really the biggest news out of MS conference......Guess it give something for the fanboys to fight about.
If it makes you feel better, they won't start development on the 360 version until the PS3 version is done, so the quality of the PS3 version is independent of the 360 version...

0 HP

hopefully this 360 version pushes ff13 back into next christmas because i have a really full 2 semesters coming up

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Vinci said:
If it were to come, it would be because Konami wants to make extra money on it. Microsoft wouldn't moneyhat getting its exclusivity away from the PS3, since it's already been released; whatever damage it was going to do has been done.

But this? FF XIII? This is a definitive megaton. Hell, this might be in the Top 5 greatest megatons ever announced. This was brilliant by Microsoft, just as Wii MotionPlus was from Nintendo.

MS is surprizing me right now, I knew FF13 could be possible, but I didn't expect it together with other good announcements. Avatars are sorta rip-off of Mii's, but it's still a good move and still (with the new dash) coming before Sony's touted Home overall it's a good thing for X360. Then downloading full games into the HDD for faster loading and helping to aleviate multi-disc issues AND the Netflix thing really sorta downplays Sony's Blu-Ray advantages. Then having FF13 plus the other games they had...that's just, that's the meat there as this is really about the games in the end.

They didn't do anything stupid either...I mean, I was expecting X-BOY handheld (which woulda been dumb for them to announce IMO) or another new SKU or something Blu-Ray related (which would seem very desperate/pointless) or I expected them to start talking of "next-gen" prematurly, or maybe I even expected the heavily rumored Newton motion controller knock-off...but they didn't bow to their competitor's and do stupid moves like that (yet), they improved what they had and concentrated on good games being tied up.

As far as Nintendo's pre-emptive Wiimote+ gadget, one part of me is hoping they didn't do this in fear of the competitor's copying them and another part of me is sorta excited about it's potential. At the same time I wonder why (or why not add a mic or screen to it as well)...yet again the hopes of a nice 1:1 lightsaber game is enough to make me bite...jury's still out on it IMO.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Father_Brain said:

Because no one will buy it. Save the trouble of packaging 360 versions?

Busty said:
There is a difference between courting and SE blowing MS behind a VW camper van in the carpark of a bowling alley after closing.

While this is a MEGATON of unparalleled proportions I do think we need to try and remain calm until after Sony's conference tomorrow.

I mean, it's not as if Sony didn't know this was going to happen.

I'm not sure just what Sony can have to respond to such news but we've got to allow them their 'day in court'.

And owing to the fact the entire world's gaming population will be judging them that phrasing is probably correct.

I'm sure Sony will kick ass tomorrow. But still it's pretty fucking retarded of them not trying to hold their biggest 3rd party exclusive as tight as they could.

ari

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I also like how all the sony fanboys was saying that microsoft press conference was shit. :lol

new dashboard
netflix
gow 2
fable 2
price drop
rock band 2
ff13
neat casual goodies

and more, overall it was impressive. :D

The Hermit

Mama Robotnik said:
Changed my mind. Last GIF had Sony showing off MGS4 on their padd. This one seems much more apt.

worfkillsonyc.gif

:lol :lol :lol
Short AND sweet!
Keep it that way...

ari said:
I also like how all the sony fanboys was saying that microsoft press conference was shit. :lol

new dashboard
netflix
gow 2
fable 2
price drop
rock band 2
ff13
neat casual goodies

It was "meh" until the MEgaton... and a big :lol at the "casual goodies". If it was for wii you would say "non-game shit" right?

Shouta

Father_Brain said:

It's not actually surprising. Earlier release of the 360 allowed JP devs to start working on the games ahead of the PS3 and so those games are just being now finished. What will be interesting is if they stick with the 360 or if they'll go multi-plat or if they'll go back to the PS3 for future games.

I am really happy Versus is still ps3 exclusive really for no other reason than to see what a
completely ps3 focused engine by square could do.

el Diablo

Banned
Ravidrath said:

The 360 port is being done alongside the NA/EU localization. They haven't started it yet, except for some possible feasibility tests.

I care because then the game isn't tailored to XXXX systems capabilities. Personally i hate the idea of multi-platf gaming as a whole. I'd much rather a game be tailored to the 360 or PS3 then for it to be cookie cut so it has to fit both. So instead of 100% for one game you get 80 or 85% so that it could be done on both systems since both have weaknesses and strengths. I'd rather have seen an announcement of FFXIII exclusive to the 360 for than for it to be multi-plat.

I would have loved to have seen what Squeenix could have done to try to fully tap the PS3. I'm not shocked though, this just follows the lines of what they've been doing for ages, absolutely milking the hell out of their series instead of totally focusing on making great games.

HK-47 said:
Because no one will buy it. Save the trouble of packaging 360 versions?

But you could make the same argument about ToV, IU, or SO4. All of those would sell better on PS3 over there, but they're 360 exclusives.

LowParry

ari said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

new dashboard
netflix
gow 2
fable 2
price drop
rock band 2
ff13
neat casual goodies

The first 20 minutes or so felt so rushed with the demos. I was sad to see RE5 get cut short as well. Then the whole middle what the utter shit. Seriously. You can't deny that. But the end made up for it. It was a good conference but not the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom