• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned

Fuck. It's 20 digits and I follow the steps carefully but it says invalid code :( Is SE customer service good about getting these things resolved if you email them?

*edit* is it possible that because I bought FFXIV ARR & HW on steam, and then bought the PC version a digital download (non-steam I guess) on the SE store (because it wasn't up on steam back when pre-orders went up), that my early access code (or even SB PC code) isn't compatible with my account which is on steam? Like do they differentiate between Steam and PC not steam as two separate platforms?

iammeiam

Fuck. It's 20 digits and I follow the steps carefully but it says invalid code :( Is SE customer service good about getting these things resolved if you email them?

I've heard phone is the better route to go; PC code, right? PS4 stuff links in to MogStation weird and is a separate thing.

I got my Steam EA code from the SE store like a month ago and was able to register it no problem.

*edit* is it possible that because I bought FFXIV ARR & HW on steam, and then bought the PC version a digital download (non-steam I guess) on the SE store (because it wasn't up on steam back when pre-orders went up), that my early access code (or even SB PC code) isn't compatible with my account which is on steam? Like do they differentiate between Steam and PC not steam as two separate platforms?

It's 100% this--you are locked in to Steam for all things PC for the life of your account. You cannot use a non-Steam PC copy of anything, including the EA code, because you do not own the base game on PC (and cannot register a non-Steam PC copy to your account because reasons). I preordered the Steam physical CE (sucker for statues) and it works fine, and there are special directions for redeeming a Steam preorder code, but you CANNOT mix and match Steam and Non-Steam keys between expansions.

Yeah, Steam and non-Steam PC are considered two separate platforms unfortunately. You're not going to be able to register Stormblood from the SE store to your Steam-associated account.

Bebpo

Banned
I've heard phone is the better route to go; PC code, right? PS4 stuff links in to MogStation weird and is a separate thing.

I got my Steam EA code from the SE store like a month ago and was able to register it no problem.

Yeah, PC. I bought PC DOWNLOAD and got an 18 digit code, went and registered it and got a 20 digit code but it's not working on my Standard (Steam) account.

I'll give them a call.

Yeah, Steam and non-Steam PC are considered two separate platforms unfortunately. You're not going to be able to register Stormblood from the SE store to your Steam-associated account.

Oh, fuck. Uh, do they do refunds or did I just waste $40?

duckroll

I see Mogstation and the separation between "PC" and "Steam" versions is still as garbage as ever. Worst implementation of an online service I've seen in a long time. Square Enix needs to get people who know how to do this right running their services. It's disgusting and shameful.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yeah, PC. I bought PC DOWNLOAD and got an 18 digit code, went and registered it and got a 20 digit code but it's not working on my Standard (Steam) account.

I'll give them a call.

Oh, fuck. Uh, do they do refunds or did I just waste $40?
Game isn't officially out yet and they haven't given you the actual code for it so you might be able to cancel. Should try asap.

Ala Alba

Well, I don't know how helpful it will be, but for those planning to grind PotD on 6/16 - 6/17, I made a Google Sheet with time slots. Just add your character name on that line if you're planning on grinding at that time, and it will maybe make it easier to coordinate parties?

Quote to reveal link.

I'll put it on discord as well, I guess.

I see Mogstation and the separation between "PC" and "Steam" versions is still as garbage as ever. Worst implementation of an online service I've seen in a long time. Square Enix needs to get people who know how to do this right running their services. It's disgusting and shameful.

FFXIV is the only MMO on Steam and not on Steam which has a subscription. The reason there is a strict firewall between Steam and not Steam is because Steam takes a percentage of sales revenue from games sold on Steam. This isn't a Squenix problem at all (unlike most problems) and one of very few problems with FFXIV which actually can't be blamed on the publisher.

duckroll

FFXIV is the only MMO on Steam and not on Steam which has a subscription. The reason there is a strict firewall between Steam and not Steam is because Steam takes a percentage of sales revenue from games sold on Steam. This isn't a Squenix problem at all (unlike most problems) and one of very few problems with FFXIV which actually can't be blamed on the publisher.

This makes zero sense. Yes, Valve takes a cut when you buy someone on Steam. That's part of selling on someone storefront. So? Gamestop also takes a cut from the sales when they sell it at Gamestop. They're not buying stock from S-E at the retail price.

S-E are the ones providing the subscription service. There's no reason to separate it the way they do.

iammeiam

At the absolute bare minimum, SE should be capable of literally treating Steam like a separate platform from PC and letting both sets of licenses exist on the same account. PSN stuff is equally wacky, with your game account being linked in a death pact with your PSN account. They're capable of treating Mac as its own distinct thing, as well.

It'd be aggravating to have to go back and rebuy everything to break off from Steam, but it should still be an option.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
At the absolute bare minimum, SE should be capable of literally treating Steam like a separate platform from PC and letting both sets of licenses exist on the same account. PSN stuff is equally wacky, with your game account being linked in a death pact with your PSN account. They're capable of treating Mac as its own distinct thing, as well.

It'd be aggravating to have to go back and rebuy everything to break off from Steam, but it should still be an option.

What's that you say? More dresses on the Mog Station? Yeah that sounds like a good idea.

Luminaire

Don't most MMOs that come to Steam late require a new account / ID / purchase or have I been drinking too much?

Well, I don't know how helpful it will be, but for those planning to grind PotD on 6/16 - 6/17, I made a Google Sheet with time slots. Just add your character name on that line if you're planning on grinding at that time, and it will maybe make it easier to coordinate parties?

Quote to reveal link.

I'll put it on discord as well, I guess.

Thanks, just added mine there, although I'll probably be on for the whole day.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
This makes zero sense. Yes, Valve takes a cut when you buy someone on Steam. That's part of selling on someone storefront. So? Gamestop also takes a cut from the sales when they sell it at Gamestop. They're not buying stock from S-E at the retail price.

S-E are the ones providing the subscription service. There's no reason to separate it the way they do.
Steam version lets you fund mogstation purchases, including sub, with your steam wallet.

iammeiam

Don't most MMOs that come to Steam late require a new account / ID / purchase or have I been drinking too much?

There's a solid line of logic in requiring a purchase through Steam to download the game through Steam, Steam requiring that any expansions attached to the Steam license be purchased and registered through Steam, etc. That I totally get. But that's not really what XIV does--you don't have to create a new MogStation account/create a new character/rebuy your CE items if you buy the game on Steam after having it on PS4/Mac/PS3. They have the ability to support adding a license.

And, for the bulk of MMOs that I'm aware of, they aren't really set up to distinguish multiple platforms for a shared account/character. XIV is an odd duck in that I can go out and purchase multiple different licenses to access the same shared set of services; they have a backend to support multiple purchase platforms all linking to one shared set of character data. I'm not asking to cross-pollinate base game and expansions, but it's silly that they set up this giant shared license pool for your sub and have absolutely no method I'm aware of to strip Steam off even if you just start throwing money at them.

And as far as I'm aware FFXI is on Steam and that doesn't have the expansion requirements in part because the XI expansions don't do the same platform-specific shenanigans XIV does. From what I can tell via random Google the Steam and non-Steam keys cross-pollinate just fine.

Luminaire

There's a solid line of logic in requiring a purchase through Steam to download the game through Steam, Steam requiring that any expansions attached to the Steam license be purchased and registered through Steam, etc. That I totally get. But that's not really what XIV does--you don't have to create a new MogStation account/create a new character/rebuy your CE items if you buy the game on Steam after having it on PS4/Mac/PS3. They have the ability to support adding a license.

And, for the bulk of MMOs that I'm aware of, they aren't really set up to distinguish multiple platforms for a shared account/character. XIV is an odd duck in that I can go out and purchase multiple different licenses to access the same shared set of services; they have a backend to support multiple purchase platforms all linking to one shared set of character data. I'm not asking to cross-pollinate base game and expansions, but it's silly that they set up this giant shared license pool for your sub and have absolutely no method I'm aware of to strip Steam off even if you just start throwing money at them.

And as far as I'm aware FFXI is on Steam and that doesn't have the expansion requirements in part because the XI expansions don't do the same platform-specific shenanigans XIV does. From what I can tell the Steam and non-Steam keys cross-pollinate just fine.

Gotcha!

It's pretty weird, must be some kind of back-end issue that they really can't solve without some kinda overhaul. It'd be nice if they could let you revoke your license from Steam and apply it to a Non-Steam version, if only once. At least they do warn you to buy the Steam version if you're on the Steam version.

I remember the horrible account nightmare trying to set up for the beta back in 2013...

duckroll

If they can overhaul cross-class skills. They can overhaul platform incompatibility nonsense via Mogstation. This isn't some unsolvable problem but just another example of the systemic problems of the service side being expanded in a patchwork fashion without any future-proofing. It's embarrassing. This incompetence seems to extend to everything - their online stores, their handling of free trials, their customer support, the lack of a smartphone companion app after 6 years, etc. Worst of all, it's still not possible to buy a FAT CHOCOBO PILLOW.

Shame shame shame.

Squishy3

It's probably some really old decision made from 1.0 that made it so they can't distinguish between PC/Steam as separate licenses, and the work to do it is too much to fix or could potentially break things?

If there's one thing we learned about 1.0 decisions, it's that they weren't future-proofing jack shit. And Yoshi's team made a conscious decision to keep 1.0 characters and accounts around, for better or worse.

iammeiam

If they couldn't distinguish between licenses the entire conversation would not be happening because a system incapable of distinguishing between licenses wouldn't be able to bounce PC EA keys from Steam accounts.... because it wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The answer is obviously something in how they've set it up (my money's on them literally only distinguishing the licenses and not the actual service, as opposed to any other platform, but whoknows), and I doubt the small cross-section of the user base it impacts is viewed as worth the time or effort involved to rework it. But blaming 1.0 is sort of a stretch; it's a dumb thing they've done. Companies do dumb things sometimes.

yami4ct

God. The heat here has sapped out all my will to even play FFXIV. Looks like getting AST to 60 and capping tomes are all I'm getting done before Early Access.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I have the Stormblood CE preordered on PSN. Should I be worried that it, and the countdown to download timer, has disappeared from my FFXIV add ons? I don't preorder much digitally, so not sure if this is normal.

KuroNeeko

Do we know if they're going to add a new tier of end-game crafting items like they did in HW? I'm in the middle of raising an omni-crafter now--should I even bother trying to get the gold main hands?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do we know if they're going to add a new tier of end-game crafting items like they did in HW? I'm in the middle of raising an omni-crafter now--should I even bother trying to get the gold main hands?

Probably. I'd go for blue scrip gear + carbonweave.

Xux

I hope prices on the Ramuh katana go down pretty fast. I bet that shit's gonna look look hella substantial.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The countdown continues:
DCL6qOEU0AAn-aj.jpg

Foxxsoxx

So I have my settings set on console to have L1 + Triangle only lock onto NPC/objects for playing frontlines so I can attack the crystals. However after activating it I can not for the life of me get it to work and instead it just cycles through all the players like normal.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong but Jesus tab targeting in PVP is ridiculous. Help me pls I can't take it any more.

dabig2

I really need to finish SB in the next couple days. I've had the penultimate mission sitting in my journal for the last 3 weeks now...

duckroll

Got my three artbooks from Amazon Japan. They're wonderful. OMG THERE IS SO MUCH GOOD ART IN FFXIV. I wanna cry.

I really need to finish SB in the next couple days. I've had the penultimate mission sitting in my journal for the last 3 weeks now...

Tell me more about what the future is like please!

IvorB

So I've transferred over to Odin now in time for Stormblood. Has been great playing in GAF FC since beta (even if I never made it passed member rank after what, like, three years? Ha ha). Thanks for all the memories. :)

Any players here on Odin let me know your in-game character and I can shoot you a friend request. I think it will fit with the expac being a stranger in a strange land from a (dare I say it?) role-playing perspective.

NeoCross

On a somewhat unrelated note can anyone recommend a good dnd/pathfinder podcast I can listen to while grinding PotD? It's becoming mind numbingly boring and I need to stay awake lul.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
On a somewhat unrelated note can anyone recommend a good dnd/pathfinder podcast I can listen to while grinding PotD? It's becoming mind numbingly boring and I need to stay awake lul.
Tabletop Escapades! Also in podcast form.
I'd recommend Tabletop Adventures, the podcast the Easy Allies crew did when they were still at GameTrailers, but I think that one has been removed from itunes etc. and you can only find it on Soundcloud etc. (might be wrong about that).

I think it's currently my favorite podcast, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom