• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 30 minutes of gameplay (Japanese)

In the Active Time Report today they said they were working on the foliage/shrubs to look better in the final version. The PS4 version seems to be an already improved build.

I really don't get why they always show off this unfinished and unoptimized stuff... Some of the screens and videos they showed during developement were also of the worst possible quality.
Do you guys remember when we were all in panic mode because we thought the game was going to be this pixelated and artifacted?

maxresdefault.jpg

And this is from the PC build...

PC build? When did I miss that!? I'll certainly take the PC build if true. They can make good money on that version.

Dmax3901

Skimmed through the video in the OP, the opening definitely looked better than what I played, but there were other parts that looked the same... hmmm who knows anymore. Probably thinking way too much about it anyway lol.

sappyday

Skimmed through the video in the OP, the opening definitely looked better than what I played, but there were other parts that looked the same... hmmm who knows anymore. Probably thinking way too much about it anyway lol.
Some of it is Xbox one footage mixed in.

There's already some improvement after a few weeks. I think these extra months will help.

sappyday

So I'm confused. Why does the lighting in this video look like Duscae?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNz0fA0M04

it could be that the 30 minute video is from a week old build. It does take time to edit these huge chunk of videos. While the atr video was played today at the spot so it's pretty much the most recent build they have.

However, maybe someone who's knows more about technical stuff could explain. Maybe it's the same lighting from the master version. I'm not sure.

Tyaren

On a close up and direct comparison...man that's even harsher than i thought.

If it stays like that it would certainly be the biggest gap in graphics a PS4/Xbox One multi platform title ever had. Normally you need to search the difference with a magnifying glass, here they are more than apparent. This is actually what I imagined the difference of PS4/PS4Neo would look like. I hope it is not just the Neo version. XD

However, maybe someone who's knows more about technical stuff could explain. Maybe it's the same lighting from the master version. I'm not sure.

It imo looks like the master version gameplay lighting. Look how light and flat Noctis' skin looks. In Duscae skin looked darker, more saturated and it had more plasticity.

If it stays like that it would certainly be the biggest gap in graphics a PS4/Xbox One multi platform title ever had. Normally you need to search the difference with a magnifying glass, here they are more than apparent. This is actually what I imagined the difference of PS4/PS4Neo would look like. I hope it is not just the Neo version XD

I hope it is the Neo version. Otherwise Xbox users are getting a noticeably inferior product, and I say that as a PS4 owner.

benzy

I hope it is the Neo version. Otherwise Xbox users are getting a noticeably inferior product, and I say that as a PS4 owner.

So you would prefer they enforce parity and lower the PS4 build to match the Xbone build, so ps4 owners will get an inferior product because fanboys?? Screw that.

Tyaren

By the way...can't we have an Official FFXV Graphics Bemoaning -thread. It's taking over literally every FFXV thread, all 10 of them opened each week. XD Other threads could focus on their actual topics...

benzy

By the way...can't we have an Official FFXV Graphics Bemoaning -thread. It's taking over literally every FFXV thread, all 10 of them opened each week. XD Other threads could focus on their actual topics...

No thanks, wait for the final game to release for a graphics thread.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Its not the NEO version. Luminous is built for high end PC systems to get its maximum potential, so it makes sense that the lower you go, the much worse the differences show.

If some people think this is what a PS4 to NEO conversion should look like, your probably going to be blown away by any potential actual NEO version

This graphics debate over the past few months has increased my vocabulary by like dozens of new words.

benzy

Thank Tabata for no parity. That type of shit is complete bullshit and even PC games would be way better off if devs didn't hold their PC versions back for console fanboyism feelings.

A decrease in object draw and blurrier IQ is what you would expect from a weaker GPU. They also have to account for the ridiculous amount of GPU-intensive particle effects throughout battle so the stronger decrease in resolution on XBO to help framerate isn't that big a deal. In the end both console versions should be getting more stable framerates which Tabata has been adamant is their main priority over graphics.

Inuhanyou

Thank Tabata for no parity. That type of shit is complete bullshit and even PC games would be way better off if devs didn't hold their PC versions back for console fanboyism feelings.

A decrease in object draw and blurrier IQ is what you would expect from a weaker GPU. They also have to account for the ridiculous amount of GPU-intensive particle effects throughout battle so the stronger decrease in resolution on XBO to help framerate isn't that big a deal. In the end both console versions should be getting more stable framerates which Tabata has been adamant is their main priority over graphics.

Er, i don't think PCs holding back for consoles is to not hurt people's feelings, but to actually have the games run decently on lower spec PC's as well.

What your saying there doesn't make much sense. I do agree though that hardware differences should show however.

benzy

Er, i don't think PCs holding back for consoles is to not hurt people's feelings, but to actually have the games run decently on lower spec PC's as well.

What your saying there doesn't make much sense. I do agree though that hardware differences should show however.

What? Other devs have admitted they held back their PC versions and removed optional graphical features from it so the console versions would look similar even to a maxed out PC version. There is no other reason for this other than to avoid console fanboy feelings being hurt that they got an "inferior" product when they know damn well they have inferior hardware. It doesn't have anything to do with "having lower-spec PC games run well" when the PC platform has the option to turn down effects and turn off graphical features.

Inuhanyou

What? Other devs have admitted they held back their PC versions and removed optional graphical features from it so the console versions would look similar even to a maxed out PC version. There is no other reason for this other than to avoid console fanboy feelings being hurt that they got an "inferior" product when they know damn well they have inferior hardware.

Which devs have said such things?

Are you referring to Ubisoft?

There's a difference between ubisoft and every other developer out there you know.

If PC devs really didn't hold back games in the way your saying, we would not have any games running on hardware lower than i7s and 1080s due to the system requirements.

That's the difference between designing something to be scalable between multiple hardware configurations and actually taking advantage of higher specs. It has nothing to do with hurting people's feelings, it has to do with actually making basic sense in a development environment.

benzy

Which devs have said such things?

Are you referring to Ubisoft?

There's a difference between ubisoft and every other developer out there you know.

If PC devs really didn't hold back games in the way your saying, we would not have any games running on hardware lower than i7s and 1080s due to the system requirements.

That's the difference between designing something to be scalable between multiple hardware configurations and actually taking advantage of higher specs. It has nothing to do with hurting people's feelings, it has to do with actually making basic sense in a development environment.

PC games scaling well on a variety of hardware and having more graphically intensive features that consoles can't handle aren't mutually exclusive. You can always just disable those features on PC if your PC specs can't handle it. Devs willing to take advantage of i7s and GTX 1080s doesn't mean they can't also account for weaker specs. We're not talking about a game designed only for the highest end PCs. We're talking about games that are designed to scale for a variety of specs which they can still provide extra features for stronger hardware. Can't run it? turn off those features.

Zedark

Just for fun, here's how the game looked back in E3 compared to the latest PS4 footage. That's a bit more than 2 months of work.

Wow, that's an enormous difference! Am genuinely excited to see just how the game will look on november 29. If it looks like the August version in this gif, I'll be more than satisfied.

Inuhanyou

PC games scaling well on a variety of hardware and having more graphically intensive features that consoles can't handle aren't mutually exclusive. You can always just disable those features on PC if your PC specs can't handle it. Devs willing to take advantage of i7s and GTX 1080s doesn't mean they can't also account for weaker specs. We're not talking about a game designed only for the highest end PCs. We're talking about games that are designed to scale for a variety of specs which they can still provide extra features for stronger hardware. Can't run it? turn off those features.

We're talking past each other again it seems. I was responding to you under the assumption that you were making the argument that if PC devs didn't design their games in a way like Crysis, it was because they didn't want to hurt console fanboys feelings, which i assumed to be very elitist sentiment

If you were just referring to graphical enhancements above console's limitations like what Nvidia and AMD already offer like tressFX, enhanced physX stuff, enhanced lighting techniques ect, that's a different story entirely.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly, it's extremely hard to get a grasp on what compares to what, since the footage really could have been from anything, anywhere, and all kinds of goodness-knows-what happening between capture and the final press-release video(s).

I mean yeah, if the master version had shipped and people like DF get their hands on those and run empirical tests we'd have something concrete, but that master version is now not-a-master-version anymore, not even counting whatever the original Day 1 Patch would have changed.

I mean, going over everything available to public so far, it does 'feel' like the xb1 version isn't going to look as pretty as the ps4 version, but ultimately the only real comparison that matters is what ships, with or without Day 1 patches. For example, who is to say the XB1 version at launch won't look better than the PS4 gamescom build, or vice versa (lol). Two months is a significantly meaty period for optimization.

In terms of official word, Tabata has said there are differences between the two versions, but nothing really more elaborate than that.

Scrawnton

Wow, that's an enormous difference! Am genuinely excited to see just how the game will look on november 29. If it looks like the August version in this gif, I'll be more than satisfied.
How long do they have until discs need pressed? Can they keep optimizing until mid October before they need to submit?

wmlk

Calm down you guys. I think it's fine that they went out of their way to make these Parry attacks. They looked really cool and interesting, there's definitely a place for these for action game. The game does have its own mechanics in place, so it's not like the game is completely dependent on them, unlike say games like Ryse.

What I was saying that they don't wow me as much as you guys purely on the basis that they were context sensitive.
I think people reacted mostly because people continue to mistake contextual button prompts for QTEs. FFXV has a lot of button prompts that are always mistaken for QTEs when in reality you have to trigger them for it to appear. Things like pressing O to charge the Broadsword for example. I think people are off the mark there. For stuff like the Titan encounter where you're not in control of it? Yeah, I think most people would agree that that's a QTE.

benzy

We're talking past each other again it seems. I was responding to you under the assumption that you were making the argument that if PC devs didn't design their games in a way like Crysis, it was because they didn't want to hurt console fanboys feelings, which i assumed to be very elitist sentiment

If you were just referring to graphical enhancements above console's limitations like what Nvidia and AMD already offer like tressFX, enhanced physX stuff ect, that's a different story entirely.

I don't even game on PC besides playing PS2 emulator from time to time, I'm still rolling with a 7850. :p I'm just saying parity is bullshit whether between console versions, or PC vs console. A lot of PC games pretty much just look like higher-res versions of their console counterparts and there's proof the devs actually removed once touted features just because they don't want their PC build to look considerably better than console versions.

Boke1879

Opinions on this game are all over the place because I feel the exact opposite.

Lol just like any other final fantasy game lol.

That said this is looking good. At least on PS4 so far and I have no doubts the extra few months are really going to do it some good.

.JayZii

Banned
That footage looks better than the Gamescom gameplay. Hopefully those few extra months is time well spent. It appears that it might be.

I think it's really funny how people were getting all mad about localization changes when it was really just different dialogue tree options.

Tyaren

I think it's really funny how people were getting all mad about localization changes when it was really just different dialogue tree options.

Not funny at all because beside dialogue options they still took great liberties when translating the game into English. Some characters feel and behave very different from their Japanese counterparts.

Zedark

How long do they have until discs need pressed? Can they keep optimizing until mid October before they need to submit?

Probably mid October, late october latest. They'll probably have a small day one patch to include the work done after the day they will go gold, though. The difference between E3 and Gamescom is more than just two month's work, of course: the E3 build was from an earlier version than they were at at the time of E3, while Gamescom was a very recent build. They won't make the same jump, but may just improve some grievances like the rampant pop-in.

Edit: Not the Gamescom version (the XBOX version is not that beautiful), but the August version is what I'm talking about here.

Koozek

Prompto's "We'll play hide and seek with him!" in the Chapter 0 part is Top 3 All-time Worst Line In A Final Fantasy (or at least with that delivery). What does he say in the Japanese video?

Servbot24

Banned
In the Active Time Report today they said they were working on the foliage/shrubs to look better in the final version. The PS4 version seems to be an already improved build.

I really don't get why they always show off this unfinished and unoptimized stuff... Some of the screens and videos they showed during developement were also of the worst possible quality.
Do you guys remember when we were all in panic mode because we thought the game was going to be this pixelated and artifacted?

maxresdefault.jpg

And this is from the PC build...
I think some developers get more excited about the magic of building a game and forget that fans mainly about numbers and having a big GFX dick.

JBwB

This footage does look noticeably better than what was shown in the 50 minute gamescom video.

I'll be doing multiple playthroughs using both English and Japanese audio so it will be interesting to see these apparent localization changes.

Damn that's quite the difference there.

Gameplay still looks fun as hell.

1472379868-ffxv2.gif
Played the demo at the Amsterdam Comic Con and really liked what I played.
My only problems are that blocking was a bit awkward and the game crashed one time.
The faces of the staff there turned white when that happend.
The look on their faces was priceless.

Top Bottom