• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 30 minutes of gameplay (Japanese)

Pardon my usual skeptism towards the game, but I would be more inclined to agree that it's fun if this piece of action were actually part of manual gameplay mechanics rather than being a portion of an elaborate context sensitive parry thing. I mean sure it looks cool, the animation choreography was well done, but purely in the context of gameplay mechanics, it's really a glorified QTE.

It's a case of press A for awesome.

Hmmm, but if it is just a dodge and counter, then I don't see how that isn't manual input to a degree.

Mifec

Pardon my usual skeptism towards the game, but I would be more inclined to agree that it's fun if this piece of action were actually part of manual gameplay mechanics rather than being a portion of an elaborate context sensitive parry thing. I mean sure it looks cool, the animation choreography was well done, but purely in the context of gameplay mechanics, it's really a glorified QTE.

Was about to come in and ask what's so wow there? The fire effects? the amazing animation quality this game always had? because that's a dodge/counter QTE no skill involved.

Hmmm, but if it is just a dodge and counter, then I don't see how that isn't manual input to a degree.

Because it's trivial and not really impressive if you know how it works, at least to me. Then again this isn't a character action game and will never have even close to the depth of it so I'm more lenient I guess.

Dmax3901

Looking at that gif comparison in the OP is interesting. The shrubs in the XB1 version look like they did in the PS4 build I played.

So either that's not XB1 or the PS4 build is definitely newer than Gamescom.

Philippo

Is it me or the only ambient music we heard in the wild was another rendition of
GRATIA MUNDI
?
If so that's a bit dissappointing, hope there is more variety to it.

tuxfool

Banned
The shrubs look awful in the xb1 but lets not beat around the bush the fact that on ps4 they are still those perpendicular sprites like you'd see in early racing game.

Tyaren

Looking at that gif comparison in the OP is interesting. The shrubs in the XB1 version look like they did in the PS4 build I played.

So either that's not XB1 or the PS4 build is definitely newer than Gamescom.

In the Active Time Report today they said they were working on the foliage/shrubs to look better in the final version. The PS4 version seems to be an already improved build.

I really don't get why they always show off this unfinished and unoptimized stuff... Some of the screens and videos they showed during developement were also of the worst possible quality.
Do you guys remember when we were all in panic mode because we thought the game was going to be this pixelated and artifacted?

maxresdefault.jpg

And this is from the PC build...

Falk

that puzzling face

Actually, you know the parry counter for Deadeye in Duscae? He does a fire grenade as a counter in the JP video. I wonder if it's context-sensitive based on what you have equipped.

Angel_DvA

PS4:
28997184240_7a5074c09f_o.jpg

Xbox One:
29285306185_7149f50294_o.jpg

Looks like a PS3 and PS4 comparison of GTAV.

The PS4 version is clearly superior to the Xbox One version but both are pretty bad, I played all FF games on Playstation beside FF13 ( 360 ) but I'll probably take the PC version for this one, the IQ/Framerate on consoles are awful.

Dark_castle

The only manual part is pressing the block button to begin the parry sequence. The part where Noctis jumps over the beast is not something you actually control yourself, it's automated, and then pressing O to trigger the remaining of the parry sequence, in which Noctis throws a fire spell at it.

There's nothing really wrong with that I might add, it's just that it's designed for pure spectacle, it's context sensitive in nature, not so much of a deep, engaging mechanics that demands skill from the part of player. It's like the reaction commands from Kingdom Hearts 2, but more elaborated with more complex, lengthy animations. But even then, Nomura knows this system looks cool but pretty shallow, and have decided to take them out in KH3.

Actually, you know the parry counter for Deadeye in Duscae? He does a fire grenade as a counter in the JP video. I wonder if it's context-sensitive based on what you have equipped.

It's possible that different monsters at different places have different sets of scripted parry sequences, not sure.

artsi

Upon close inspection, it would certainly seem that the Japanese gameplay version in OP is using a more recent build than Gamescom.

These are both from the PS4 version. See the sharper IQ and new EXP bar in the Japanese gameplay version.

Closeup GIF:

shKuQmh.gif

Gamescom version is from 8GB Gamersyde video and Japanese gameplay is from Youtube, yet it is still a lot sharper.

jett

D-Member
From the ATR Thread. Top screenshot is PS4 (from the PS4 build that was on today's live stream), bottom is XB1 (Gamescom build).

Optimisation putting in werk?

Naw, this is from the most recent video:

edit:

Upon close inspection, it would certainly seem that the Japanese gameplay version in OP is using a more recent build than Gamescom.

These are both from the PS4 version. See the sharper IQ and new EXP bar in the Japanese gameplay version.

Closeup GIF:

shKuQmh.gif

Gamescom version is from 8GB Gamersyde video and Japanese gameplay is from Youtube, yet it is still a lot sharper.

That's interesting.

And how do you systemize this maneuver? Do we need to use right and left stick to control our hands and legs in some weird QWOP mini-game? Or what?

I would understand if it was a one time only pre-scripted sequence, but having animations tied to simple button presses is actually fairly common in action games. Or do we now retroactively throw all platinum games under the bus because so many maneuver sand cool attacks are activated with simple button presses?

Trust me, I am no fan of QTEs myself, but I feel like people often go over board with it, damning simple contextual animations in their witchhunt.

Alej

Banned
The PS4 version is clearly superior to the Xbox One version but both are pretty bad, I played all FF games on Playstation beside FF13 ( 360 ) but I'll probably take the PC version for this one, the IQ/Framerate on consoles are awful.

There's no PC version yet, but there will be a Neo one.

How much it will be upgraded from vanilla PS4 though? That's the real deal.

PC version as an afterthought could end being an unoptimized mess.

Scrawnton

Resolution is still apart of IQ.

I know that, but what's the point of a 1080p res if anything pass the main character drops in detail and resolution, even to sub HD levels?

I guess what I'm getting at is some games can look better in only 720p as long as they keep that detail for distant objects.

brawly

This is like the first time where I have to say it looks good. I'll happily play this on the OG PS4, but obviously hope for that sweet Neo version.

I love the outfits, especially the non-black ones. I hope there's suits later in the game. Please, Tabata.

Tyaren

Imagine if it is the other way around. XD The Japanese build is the older one and the Gamesom build is the crecent and "optimized" one.

DKHF

So a Neo version is confirmed?

Will definitely wait for that one if true.
Pretty sure every single game coming out from Oct 2016 onwards has to have a Neo version (based on the leaked documents). Though that version can have as little if any tweaks as the dev/publisher wants IIRC.

Alej

Banned
So a Neo version is confirmed?

Will definitely wait for that one if true.

It's the same disc though, why wait?

It's not confirmed by SE, but it's mandatory.
And I look forward to see it becoming the Neo's flagship after the PS event next month.

tuxfool

Banned
Closeup GIF:

shKuQmh.gif

They're using TAA, but their solution is pretty rubbish. It is blurry as fuck and doesn't seem to produce noticeably better results than FXAA. The sharper image still shows a lot of aliasing suggesting that they either dumped a sharpening filter on top of it or just toned down the effect.

Byvar

So they were still rewriting lines back in March: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213833343&postcount=594
What Ardyn is saying in that cutscene now is still quite different in the English version, but it's not as bad as an entire line of dialogue being removed.

In any case, even just in the first few minutes the Japanese voice cast stands out as being much more expressive. Even Prompto sounds appropriately serious in chapter 0, in contrast to the "We'll play hide-and-seek with him!" line in the English version. Does anyone get what he's saying here? I don't get it fully, but as expected it seems he's saying something about "take cover" without the hide-and-seek thing.

artsi

The TOD is different. Open world games still typically look their worst in the noon sun.

Eh, it's fixed TOD in that scene, the game opens up with it. There might be slight difference in the conditions, but that's not why the recent build looks a lot better.
And just look at the foliage + rocks, there's a massive difference (improvement).

jett

D-Member
The shots I posted are from the build they played in the stream today.

And my shot is from the decent-quality video that this thread is about, under more similar lighting conditions compared to the Xbox One screenshot, and without the horrific black crush that the livestream suffered from.

Falk

that puzzling face
And how do you systemize this maneuver? Do we need to use right and left stick to control our hands and legs in some weird QWOP mini-game? Or what?

A lot of the A-for-awesome are parries and counters.

In Duscae, you'd flip over green robots when they deathcharged you, spear sabertusks, etc.

The parry and counter system itself is pretty standardized, even if the animations are tailored per enemy.

Scrawnton

Eh, it's fixed TOD in that scene, the game opens up with it. There might be slight difference in the conditions, but that's not why the recent build looks a lot better.
And just look at the foliage + rocks, there's a massive difference (improvement).

This looks very promising.

KupoNut

Pretty cool how there are noticeable graphics improvements in this gameplay and how Tabata says there's more to come, only being about 10 days apart.

Gbraga

Gameplay still looks fun as hell.

1472379868-ffxv2.gif

This is the best thing ever.

Please come out already

There's a jump button, there's a warp button, if you have Fire equipped there's a Fire button. You can do something that acts in the same way completely manually: Jump, warp past the bird, attack. I don't see the problem with cool looking contextual animations, as long as the regular gameplay isn't shit, and, at least in my opinion, the combat in this game is amazing.

Was about to come in and ask what's so wow there? The fire effects? the amazing animation quality this game always had? because that's a dodge/counter QTE no skill involved.

No skill involved? Usually those things happen when you parry an enemy, some times even only with the right weapon. Parrying and knowing the enemies' weaknesses involve no skill? Then every turn based game in the world must be braindead, if character action levels of reaction required is the only measure of skill.

I can understand not liking this game, but I swear, people will come up with anything to shit on it.

That's definitely the case. I'm guessing you might not even get the counter after the parry in some cases if you're not using the right stuff. Parrying with the shield in the Platinum Demo didn't give you a counter, it was good because of how fast it was and it stunned the enemy for a short while, but you wouldn't get the same cool animation as you do when you parry him with the greatsword.

Phaezyk

Parry counters were based on equipped weapon in Platinum Demo. You would do a fire grenade if you had the Broadsword equipped, a MP-regenerating strike with the airstep sword or Hero's Shield, and a quick Shuriken fling with the Cross Shuriken. Some of that could be the just be the result of a WIP build, but it seems possible.

xion4360

aaaand again I wish they would just release 2 videos, one for each version.

I wont be splitting them up again, its pretty obvious what's what now.

to be fair the sun is in a different position (behind the camera e3/to the west august) but even so there are noticeable improvements. A lot can change in 2 months, but really what the game needs are these framerate issues/texture loading to be cleaned up and im sure they will in 2 months.

And my shot is from the decent-quality video that this thread is about, under more similar lighting conditions compared to the Xbox One screenshot, and without the horrific black crush that the livestream suffered from.

What black crush? The image I posted from the stream just has better overall lighting.

Gbraga

Parry counters were based on equipped weapon in Platinum Demo. You would do a fire grenade if you had the Broadsword equipped, a MP-regenerating strike with the airstep sword or Hero's Shield, and a quick Shuriken fling with the Cross Shuriken. Some of that could be the just be the result of a WIP build, but it seems possible.

Oh, the shield did have a counter? I guess I just used to change weapons back too fast :D

But yeah, only the Broadsword had a cooler looking animation.

Scrawnton

I by the way really wonder what up with that weird looking mountain/crystal in the distance that is towering above all else.
It does look awesome...

finalfantasy_xv.jpg

In FF14 those crystals stick out of the ground and I believe they represent pure aether which is why primals (summons, eidelons, etc.,) have their power. If I remember the lore correctly, they showed up as a result of Buhamaut attacking and destroying much of the realm.

Maybe something is similar in this game? Following Them leads to new eidelons or whatever they're called in this game.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I by the way really wonder what's up with that weird looking mountain/crystal in the distance that is towering above all else.
It does look awesome...

finalfantasy_xv.jpg

In some footage it had a plume of smoke.

flycartrailer-610.jpg

Why is the Mount Gulg!

Dark_castle

Calm down you guys. I think it's fine that they went out of their way to make these Parry attacks. They looked really cool and interesting, there's definitely a place for these for action game. The game does have its own mechanics in place, so it's not like the game is completely dependent on them, unlike say games like Ryse.

What I was saying that they don't wow me as much as you guys purely on the basis that they were context sensitive.

Phaezyk

Oh, the shield did have a counter? I guess I just used to change weapons back too fast :D

But yeah, only the Broadsword had a cooler looking animation.

It is extremely subtle, almost to the point where it might have been a placeholder. The only reason I picked up on it is because I was just eyeing all the animations like a hawk the other day to confirm that the Crush/Ravage/Vanquish/Counter/Descend system was still there, and for the most part it is.

It obviously doesn't automatically change weapons based on attacks anymore, some of the moves have been changed around, Ravage is now called Blitz and there doesn't seem to be any mentions of the other phases of an attack session, but their phases still appear to be there. I don't know what to call the attack you can perform after a blitz (when the O prompt appears momentarily) but I've been equating it to the vanquish phase, which is probably wrong.

Top Bottom