• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 30 minutes of gameplay (Japanese)

Ydelnae

Prompto's "We'll play hide and seek with him!" in the Chapter 0 part is Top 3 All-time Worst Line In A Final Fantasy (or at least with that delivery). What does he say in the Japanese video?

To be honest, I don't know what's wrong with that line. It fits Prompto's goofy nature and they actually have to hide from the flames in that battle.

AngryNeox

Neo Member

Zedark

is it me, or does gameplay actually look ok here.

You must be mad!
/s

I think it does, too. The animations are amazing (close to state of the art, I'd say, probably only second to Uncharted 4 at this moment) and the battle system would be really cool if it has a very hard difficulty setting, so comboing is more important than it was in Duscae or Platinum.

artsi

Prompto's "We'll play hide and seek with him!" in the Chapter 0 part is Top 3 All-time Worst Line In A Final Fantasy (or at least with that delivery). What does he say in the Japanese video?

He says "Noct, are you okay?! Let's hide for now!" in JP.

Compared to the old build i see many improvements in term of image quality and lightning.

So i guess that day one patch really need to be on that disc. We're not in september yet , so maybe they can still improve it a little bit more ?

Manu

Compared to the old build i see many improvements in term of image quality and lightning.

So i guess that day one patch really need to be on that disc. We're not in september yet , so maybe they can still improve it a little bit more ?

Well, that's what they said would happen, so considering I'd say they might deliver.

Exentryk

So, is the combat still hold-button-to-attack while enjoying the animations?

giphy.gif

To be honest, I don't know what's wrong with that line. It fits Prompto's goofy nature and they actually have to hide from the flames in that battle.

Agreed, seems pretty much in line with most of his battle quips. I guess tone is maybe a little light-hearted for the severity of the foe.

Watching this again, I don't get the function of Chapter 0. What's the point of showing such a tiny portion of this particular fight?

It looks cool, but, narratively, I don't understand what it's doing.

If we at least got a feel for powered up future Noct that would make sense.

wmlk

Looks like MP has a white-gray-black bar system too now. This means you WILL need to use items to restore MP in some cases.

I still don't like the amount of MP that warping requires. It really limits aerial combat.
Well, there are different weapons that could have different costs, and we have a skill tree to level up certain aspects of Noctis. First thing I'm doing if I can is increasing MP.

It's an option, not something you must do. The combat is still the standard action tapping.

He knows he just ultimately bothered by it, since it's not completely removed. It's a weird brain effect so I understand why he doesn't like it. I don't like it either but it doesn't stop my enjoyment.. I've never once bothered to hold but I get the complaints.

Exentryk

Sometimes it seems like we're the only two people in the world who are genuinely bothered by holding button to attack mechanics in FFXV.

It's always funny to read the responses where people say - "you can tap too". It's a good way to find people that don't get it ;)

Sometimes it seems like we're the only two people in the world who are genuinely bothered by holding button to attack mechanics in FFXV.

I mean you still gotta use other abilities no? It's just filler autoattack between spell inputs. It's like complaining FF12 has auto attack, nothing to do but let it do it's thing!

.JayZii

Banned
Not funny at all because beside dialogue options they still took great liberties when translating the game into English. Some characters feel and behave very different from their Japanese counterparts.
You're right, it's not funny at all. That was very insensitive of me to say.

silva1991

You can hold but it won't get you far according to some previews, so don't think you can win free by holding. You can tap normally.

No one is claiming that holding buttons alone is all you do in the entire battle.

But it is still undeniably the core mechanic for main attacks/defend.

kurahador

It's always funny to read the responses where people say - "you can tap too". It's a good way to find people that don't get it ;)

That's not what I'm saying. Insinuating that "you can tap too" seems to imply that the gameplay is first and foremost hold the button to attack when that is not the case or even what I said.

Well, there are different weapons that could have different costs, and we have a skill tree to level up certain aspects of Noctis. First thing I'm doing if I can is increasing MP.

In the platinum demo the broadsword gained huge amounts of mp after each connected hit. That's where assembling your weapon load out comes into play.

wmlk

No one is claiming that holding buttons alone is all you do in the entire battle.

But it is still undeniably the core mechanic for main attacks/defend.
Is it? I don't think that's a mechanic at all. Do you gain an advantage or something by holding? In fact you get less MP cost if you dodge correctly and right in time.

Looks like MP has a white-gray-black bar system too now. Wonder how it works.

I still don't like the amount of MP that warping requires. It really limits aerial combat.

Hoping Warp uses a set amount of MP as opposed to % of max MP, so that as you get stronger and get higher max MP, you can Warp more in battle.

You can hold but it won't get you far according to some previews, so don't think you can win free by holding. You can tap normally.

Exentryk obviously knows this.

Even holding for consecutive attacks there are a ton of other commands to input:

-analog stick changes attack type (and can unleash weapon specific specials)
-locked on warp for warp strike
-free warp for evade and maneuver
-defense
-evade
-context specific counter
-weapon change
-jump and aerial maneuvers
-party specials
-regular magic
-ring magic
-all the armiger related stuff (like damage cancel)

Obviously some would prefer character action responsiveness and that's fine. But the "all you do is hold and watch" meme is lazy and basically just trolling at this point.

Hoping Warp uses a set amount of MP as opposed to % of max MP, so that as you get stronger and get higher max MP, you can Warp more in battle.

There needs to be a balance of sorts cause if not you will never touch the ground. So you can abuse it. Ultimately it's gonna work like you just described (I'm assuming)

Exentryk

That's not what I'm saying. Insinuating that "you can tap too" seems to imply that the gameplay is first and foremost hold the button to attack when that is not the case or even what I said.

Gameplay IS hold button to attack. Tapping is just executing the same thing as holding the button. You're not getting 1:1 strikes with tapping.

Yeah, that would be good. I also hope we get an airstep sword that recovers MP with aerial attacks.

Zedark

Oh, the gray bar could be a Nioh like recovery mechanic that hasn't been shown off.

I would think so, but I wonder how you recover it: do you just press a button at the right time to recover (Nioh style) or do you have to land some sort of attack to regain it (Bloodborne style, but Bloodborne did it for health)?

Philippo

-Between this video, the 50 min. demo and the latest World of Wonders trailer they're showing a lot of monster types for the earlier zones. These are all amazing, but i hope the latter part of the game has the same variety and does not start re-use differently colored monsters;

-The "sphere grid" for all characters clearly have an empty half part, wonder how we'll unlock it. Kingsglaive Spoiler:
maybe once we obtain the Royal Ring? It would makes sense since iirc it also grants special skills to the Kingsglaives (in this case Noctis bros)
;

-I just noticed there is one last weapon category that is hidden with a "?". What that might be? Royal Magic?

-I like how there are high level monsters right in the beginning zones, feels like Xenoblade.

wmlk

Gameplay IS hold button to attack. Tapping is just executing the same thing as holding the button. You're not getting 1:1 strikes with tapping.
If you tap like 4 times in one second, and say each strike is 1 second long (this is with many action games), are you still getting one to one strikes? No, you're always going to get the same cycle of animations played over and over again. The only scenario where the hold to attack thing is different is if you tap very slowly, and I don't see why you ever would.

Played KH mashing buttons directly after PD demo. I didn't see any difference to my play style.

Zedark

Gameplay is that PLUS like 10 or more other mechanics of varying complexity.

thankyou.gif

I mean, God of War is tap circle to attack. Doesn't mean you can finish the game if that's all you do. I believe the game packs enough possibilities with warp, dodge and magic mixed in to be entertaining and deep enough.

Rad-

Are there any previews that go in depth with the customization system? I mean the Sphere Grid type menu.

And man I miss the times when FF games blew my mind graphically. This looks just above average.

Zedark

-Between this video, the 50 min. demo and the latest World of Wonders trailer they're showing a lot of monster types for the earlier zones. These are all amazing, but i hope the latter part of the game has the same variety and does not start re-use differently colored monsters;

That is kind of a staple of the series (and of JRPGs in general), right? I wouldn't really mind if they used some, but they definitely need to have enough new fauna in later regions to keep them interesting. They have generally been very coy about saying anything about later regions, so we don't know what the deal is, unfortunately.

Socivol

So they were still rewriting lines back in March: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213833343&postcount=594
What Ardyn is saying in that cutscene now is still quite different in the English version, but it's not as bad as an entire line of dialogue being removed.

In any case, even just in the first few minutes the Japanese voice cast stands out as being much more expressive. Even Prompto sounds appropriately serious in chapter 0, in contrast to the "We'll play hide-and-seek with him!" line in the English version. Does anyone get what he's saying here? I don't get it fully, but as expected it seems he's saying something about "take cover" without the hide-and-seek thing.

What does he say now?

.JayZii

Banned
thankyou.gif

I mean, God of War is tap circle to attack. Doesn't mean you can finish the game if that's all you do. I believe the game packs enough possibilities with warp, dodge and magic mixed in to be entertaining and deep enough.
Even if there was only attacking and warping, there would still be a lot of room for complexity. With all the other systems added in, it seems like it could become quite complex as the game goes on – if one chooses to utilize the toolbox that is there.

benzy

Comparison between the new chocobo video and Gamescom. Same time of day being 9 AM. Sky and environment lighting looks brighter and not as washed out in the new footage. Makes the colors pop more, nice improvement over the drab look of Gamescom.

new chocobo footage
7fZb.png

gamescom
8fZb.png

Exentryk

Gameplay is that PLUS like 10 or more other mechanics of varying complexity.

Yeah, I know. I am not talking about the other 10 mechanics. :p

If you tap like 4 times in one second, and say each strike is 1 second long (this is with many action games), are you still getting one to one strikes?

FFXV has a continuous canned string of attacks, and the feeling is completely different from 1:1 games. Not being 1:1 makes it a passive experience where you're just watching the animations. It's great if you don't mind it, but it certainly does bother others.

Elios83

It really isn't, with the directional stick you can change the effect of the attacks (for example you can jump back in the air instead of defending and then strike again with a warp attack, all without landing), also you have to manage multiple weapons in real time, magic, defense, group attacks.
There are many layers of depth in the gameplay, it's not keep attack button pressed to win.

Btw this video looks significantly improved compared to the recent 50 minutes videos at least in the PS4 version, the desert scenes are night and day compared to the Gamescom video in terms of vegetation, now it looks like it was reasonable to expect for a game with this budget/importance.
This also suggests that their ''master version'' is more like "unfinished version".
Delay was needed to finish development, not to add the fixes of the day-one patch on disc for the poor people without a internet connection :p

Even if there was only attacking and warping, there would still be a lot of room for complexity. With all the other systems added in, it seems like it could become quite complex as the game goes on – if one chooses to utilize the toolbox that is there.

Agreed - I suspect post-release we'll get one group of people who play for about two hours going on and and about how it's a one-button combat system, and another group going on and on about the systems are too complex and fussy.

Falk

that puzzling face
FFXV has a continuous canned string of attacks, and the feeling is completely different from 1:1 games. Not being 1:1 makes it a passive experience where you're just watching the animations. It's great if you don't mind it, but it certainly does bother others.

If anything there was subtlety with Duscae's system where releasing at the right time forced the combo progression to the next weapon.

Duscae's system lasted pretty long.

:(

Top Bottom