• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and releasing it on THREE platforms instead of two will help with that.

Then they should release it on consoles first and announce and release a PC version a year later after everyone has bought it on the consoles.

Cors shaping up to be my favourite. The guy uses a fucking katana.
And Noctis' hair is dark brown. It's similar to mine actually, as in certain lighting mine gets a blue sheen too.

Cor uses a katana? I thought that was Ignis' weapon. Did they change that?

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Cor uses a katana? I thought that was Ignis' weapon. Did they change that?
I'm not sure, just going on raven's info -

by the way, Cor Leonis uses Katana in the battle, and he is 42 years old.

also there are 4 kingdoms in the game, the ones that were mentioned int he trailer.

the Venice looking city is Accord and you travel there after Lucis(where you start)
Ignis will creep his way into my party if he does use a katana though.

Hedge

by the way, Cor Leonis uses Katana in the battle, and he is 42 years old.

also there are 4 kingdoms in the game, the ones that were mentioned int he trailer.

the Venice looking city is Accord and you travel there after Lucis(where you start)

Cor uses a katana and is 42? If he's sort of silent and grumpy I can finally have my Auron back from FFX!

I think I already know my party constellation now. :p

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Then they should release it on consoles first and announce and release a PC version a year later after everyone has bought it on the consoles.

Unless it's a version with additional content, this isn't viable. However it would make sense for them to do a yearly release by going

Console XV Year 1
PC XV with addons Year 2
Console XV-2 Year 3
PC XV-2 with addons Year 4
and so on and so forth.

Not ideal but it's possible.

Alright fair comment. Let's dissect things further: How many of those ports are as huge risks as a game that aims at far more than 5 million copies ?

Eidos' Tomb Raider doesn't exactly come close. Neither does Dark Souls. Of course the risk is nowhere near the same.

Tomb Raider's install base is nowhere near as huge as FF and Dark Souls is the same. These are growing franchises as of right now. Look at AC for example on how well that franchise is doing and it also releases on PC.

What kind of risks are you talking about now? Financial ones? Piracy-related? I feel like you're jumping around in terms of the conversation.

Already talked about. That's Pachter's way of thinking for Nintendo's IPs and it doesn't exactly have a tight grasp on reality.

Pachter's right on the money by saying they would make a ton of money by making their titles available on the smartphone. It doesn't exactly need to be multiplatform for consoles regarding their IP.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Unless it's a version with additional content, this isn't viable. However it would make sense for them to do a yearly release by going

Console XV Year 1
PC XV with addons Year 2
Console XV-2 Year 3
and so on and so forth.

By year 2 they are on to you, aren't they ?

Skilletor

For the forth time: Stop pretending this is black or white, I am not saying people don't buy games on the PC. I am merely bringing up the very real risk of how many people will buy it on the PC VS the people who will potentially see it a better fit to pirate it.

@ Skilletor And you think it is a good idea to try and build a fanbase by risking your biggest name and biggest production ? Are you forgetting The Last Remnant ?

I guess I don't look at it the way you do. /shrug

Larger userbase = more people able to potentially buy the game. I think you put too much stock in to piracy. I'd argue that many of the AAA releases this generation would show you that your thinking is antiquated.

I'm not sure, just going on raven's info -

Ignis will creep his way into my party if he does use a katana though.

Odd. I wonder if that means they changed Ignis' weapon, then. We didn't see him in the new gameplay footage, so maybe they're redoing his moveset. But he definitely used a katana in the original trailer.

Console XV Year 1
PC XV with addons Year 2
Console XV-2 Year 3
and so on and so forth.

Square isn't going to release a PC version of an FF game without additions that the console games also get. It's not a Final Mix situation - their core audience (Japanese PS4 players) is always priority one, and they wouldn't release exclusive content on a platform Japanese gamers won't play the game on.

It'd have to be a situation like the new content for Dark Souls on PC.

kayos90

The only reasons that would prevent SE from releasing a PC version of FFXV is if

1.) Their projected sales amount vs the amount of resources spent optimizing the PC version is not to their liking.

2.) They simply do not want to release it.

It's undeniable that there is a viable PC audience of gamers. There are a ton of people who buy games on the PC, myself included and I'm sure that given the option there are those would love to play FFXV on their PC. You make out piracy to be a much bigger than it honestly is. It's and issue yes, but one that would largely inhibit SE from making a profit on said market? I don't think so.

Square isn't going to release a PC version of an FF game without additions that the console games also get. It's not a Final Mix situation - their core audience (Japanese PS4 players) is always priority one, and they wouldn't release exclusive content on a platform Japanese gamers won't play the game on.

It'd have to be a situation like the new content for Dark Souls on PC.

I'm not talking about exclusive addons. I'm talking about something along the lines of a GotY edition. Dark Souls was exactly what I was thinking except they released the console DLC after the game launch. XV will have DLC most likely soon after launch and it'll get packaged as a total product for the PC. You misunderstood me when I said addons.

Shikoro

Why are they forcing chromatic aberration so much? Every game I've seen which implemented it looks really displeasing to the eye. Rather drop it shave off half a millisecond of processing power for something else...

DigitalDevilSummoner

What kind of risks are you talking about now? Financial ones? Piracy-related? I feel like you're jumping around in terms of the conversation.

Seriously ? For the sixth time: sales risk ! How many people will buy it on the PC VS the people who will potentially see it a better fit to pirate it. AC has been a PC game since 5 titles ago. FF cannot afford not 5 titles. One game with these production costs can ruin everything.

I'm not talking about exclusive addons. I'm talking about something along the lines of a GotY edition. Dark Souls was exactly what I was thinking except they released the console DLC after the game launch. XV will have DLC most likely soon after launch and it'll get packaged as a total product for the PC. You misunderstood me when I said addons.

Fair enough. I see what you mean, and yeah, that would make sense. I just think a day and date launch on PC would hurt more than it would help, especially given PC gamers' distaste for JRPGs.

Why can't both use Katanas?

Because with the exception of XII, almost every FF game makes a character's weapon a symbol of their job class and their personality - they don't overlap weapon types unless they're very specific and distinct subtypes. Like the difference between Tidus and Auron's swords.

Having Ignis and Cor both use katanas, unless they fight very differently (one using a quickdraw style and the other fighting more traditionally, for example), would not only be lazy but also surprisingly out of character for the series as a whole.

Famassu

Already talked about. That's Pachter's way of thinking for Nintendo's IPs and it doesn't exactly have a tight grasp on reality.
Final Fantasy is more akin to something like Elder Scrolls, except the other way around. ES started as a PC exclusive and while it was hugely successful as a PC exclusive, bringing it to consoles has made it massive. Besides, two of the best selling FF games were also available on PC.

Also, Nintendo games would sell a fuckton more copies if they were not exclusive. Sure, it would diminish the number of copies sold on Nintendo platforms (and probably drastically decrease their hardware sales), but that's only because many would not need to get a Nintendo console and even more people could buy them who have no interest to buy a Nintendo console to play the games.

You're thinking in some silly fanboy logic, which has no basis in reality.

Nerokis

Alright fair comment. Let's dissect things further: How many of those ports are as huge risks as a game that aims at far more than 5 million copies ?

Eidos' Tomb Raider doesn't exactly come close. Neither does Dark Souls. Of course the risk is nowhere near the same.

What does risk have to do with this? It doesn't matter if Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, or whatever game require less sells to be successful: a publisher isn't going to bet on a medium that may result in less overall sells, period. So in other words, what matters here isn't risk/how successful a game has to be, but the very premise that releasing a game on PC may result in less sells because of piracy.

And that's an assertion that has little support. The same logic used to justify multiplatform extends to PCs: by releasing on PC, you're significantly increasing your audience. You're releasing on a medium that serves the digital age very well, and where games tend to have the longest legs. You're opening up new possibilities, because suddenly you can release a version of your game that's very easy to patch, to customize, and not to mention because you no longer have the spec limitations of consoles.

The loyalty argument strikes me as even less sound.

I hope for one of two scenarios: 1). Square releases FFXV on consoles and PC the same day, or 2). Square releases on PC sometime after console, waiting for a significant drop off in console sales to breathe new life into the game with a PC release (this would also negate the piracy concern completely, although it'd probably also result in less PC and overall sales).

Anyway, I actually find this tidbit from the interview earlier rather exciting (along with the further confirmation there will be some sort of world map):

-the theme for the game is "bond"(Kizuna). The main story is serious, but there will be a lot of humor/comedy in the game.

Thanks for the translations, guys.

kayos90

Seriously ? For the sixth time: sales risk ! How many people will buy it on the PC VS the people who will potentially see it a better fit to pirate it. AC has been a PC game since 5 titles ago. FF cannot afford not 5 titles. One game with these production costs can ruin everything.

Do you not understand how FFXV is being developed? It's essentially be developed as PC game and then optimized for the X1 and PS4. The PC version is basically done by the end of development and they would only need to optimize it to run with customizable features. The amount of expenses to create a PC version and then release it extremely minuscule compared to what you're thinking even if you include pirated copies. There is sales to be made. I think your preconceptions of how much a PC version will cost and how it will be pirated is blinding you from actually seeing what the real issue of this conversation is.

It's the only way an airship will WORK unless they do preset flight paths. They're not going to let you fly your airship through Lucis and crash into buildings.

They should do...I mean if X can do that kind of thing on Wii U, then an FF ps4 should be able to go open world...they need to get with the times. I want to eventually have access to a fully open world to speed about in my airship.

New promo pic:

bsb.jpg

Do you not understand how FFXV is being developed? It's essentially be developed as PC game and then optimized for the X1 and PS4. The PC version is basically done by the end of development and they would only need to optimize it to run with customizable features. The amount of expenses to create a PC version and then release it extremely minuscule compared to what you're thinking even if you include pirated copies. There is sales to be made. I think your preconceptions of how much a PC version will cost and how it will be pirated is blinding you from actually seeing what the real issue of this conversation is.

I think the problem is that piracy of the PC version can also lead to sales being taken away from the console versions by lazy or cheap gamers. Some people would rather pay nothing for the game, even if they can't play it at full spec. And that's dangerous for Square, especially if you're talking about releasing a game in a genre that does not have a fanbase on PCs - and in fact, a lot of PC gamers openly dislike.

If they have a real PC version ready, they should certainly release it, but they should wait until it's done its time on consoles before releasing it. Do it with extra content like we discussed, but don't release it day and date. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft (Sony in particular) also have a vested interest in making sure it doesn't launch on PC day and date - the game is going to be a major system seller for PS4 and the last thing they need is people skipping their systems and buying the game on PC instead.

They should do...I mean if X can do that kind of thing on Wii U, then an FF ps4 should be able to go open world...they need to get with the times. I want to eventually have access to a fully open world to speed about in my airship.

Like I said, they're not going to let you fly around a massive city full of skyscrapers and crash into buildings. It would look silly, and Nomura's not going to let that happen.

It's not a question of hardware, it's a question of playability. X is not going to have towns or cities like XV does.

kayos90

I think the problem is that piracy of the PC version can also lead to sales being taken away from the console versions by lazy or cheap gamers. Some people would rather pay nothing for the game, even if they can't play it at full spec. And that's dangerous for Square, especially if you're talking about releasing a game in a genre that does not have a fanbase on PCs - and in fact, a lot of PC gamers openly dislike.

If they have a real PC version ready, they should certainly release it, but they should wait until it's done its time on consoles before releasing it. Do it with extra content like we discussed, but don't release it day and date. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft (Sony in particular) also have a vested interest in making sure it doesn't launch on PC day and date - the game is going to be a major system seller for PS4 and the last thing they need is people skipping their systems and buying the game on PC instead.

A simultaneous PC and console release can most definitely affect sales for individual platforms, however, the net profit that SE gains is going to be higher. This is what matters in all honesty. Yes there is the distinct possibility that people will pirate the version instead of buying the console version. They can go the Ubi route and release it a month later and that would possibly alleviate the problem. Also, there isn't a specific genre associated with the PC. There aren't no JRPG gamers or whatnot. Just like how a console space is various diverse with various genres the PC is the same as well. You can even say that it's even more diverse and accessible because the readily availability of the PC itself.

DigitalDevilSummoner

A simultaneous PC and console release can most definitely affect sales for individual platforms, however, the net profit that SE gains is going to be higher. This is what matters in all honesty. Yes there is the distinct possibility that people will pirate the version instead of buying the console version. They can go the Ubi route and release it a month later and that would possibly alleviate the problem. Also, there isn't a specific genre associated with the PC. There aren't no JRPG gamers or whatnot. Just like how a console space is various diverse with various genres the PC is the same as well. You can even say that it's even more diverse and accessible because the readily availability of the PC itself.

You are ignoring The last Remnant, I already mentioned. The PC is diverse but there is no crowd bigger for JRPGs than there is on consoles. You are also ignoring my noting that even with a belated XV PC version, they are on to you. XIII-2 still did manage to sell close to 3 million copies. No chance for such a support with XV-2 after a XV PC version.

Do you not understand how FFXV is being developed?

Some point will be made again and again for many games this gen.Doesn't change the fact that the PC market is not dependable.

Skilletor

I don't think anybody here can see into the future.

And that's why it's silly to say that the userbase for a game in development is there for games that haven't even been released yet. :p Especially when one says that there is no userbase for the games on PC.

You are ignoring The last Remnant, I already mentioned. The PC is diverse but there is no crowd bigger for JRPGs than there is on consoles. You are also ignoring my noting that even with a belated XV PC version, they are on to you. XIII-2 still did manage to sell close to 3 million copies. No chance for such a support with XV-2 after a XV PC version.

You say this as if The Last Remnant sold well on any platform.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
4 kingdoms? Aren't there 5? Accordo, Solheim, Niflheim, Tenebrae, and Lucis?

Kinda curious how Tenebrae, Niflheim, and Solheim will look like. I hope Niflheim will look something like Vector of FFVI.

Famassu

FF has a big (fragmented) fanbase on consoles and those aren't going to suddenly jump ship to PC and just pirate it just cuz they can. It's very likely that most of those (who are still around and interested in buying FFXV) are still going to keep playing FF games on consoles, some of those will go the PC Elitist way plus there will be a whole new audience who will want to try a massive game like FFXV since I'm sure it looks interesting even to people who play largely on PCs. It's the same as it was with FFXIII. It was announced multiplatform, people thought PS3 would be done for but in the end a vast majority of people still went with what they are used with (playing FF on Sony's consoles) and got it for PS3.

Like I said, they're not going to let you fly around a massive city full of skyscrapers and crash into buildings. It would look silly, and Nomura's not going to let that happen.

It's not a question of hardware, it's a question of playability. X is not going to have towns or cities like XV does.
Why not? I mean, previously on PS3 it probably wouldn't have possible as it might've had a loading screen between cities and fields, but that might've changed to a more seamless world with PS4Bone. I don't think they'd limit flying in cities if that's the case.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What userbase is there for FF15 on XB1 and PS4?

Can somebody give me the sales date for other JRPGs on those consoles?

None currently... although I took a poll and these are the results so far:

Will you buy a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One for Final Fantasy XV?

PlayStation 4 (96%, 617 Votes)
Neither (3%, 20 Votes)
Xbox One (1%, 8 Votes)

Total Voters: 645

Small sample size, but the readers are primarily FF fans of course.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
None currently... although I took a poll and these are the results so far:

Will you buy a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One for Final Fantasy XV?

PlayStation 4 (96%, 617 Votes)
Neither (3%, 20 Votes)
Xbox One (1%, 8 Votes)

Total Voters: 645

Small sample size, but the readers are primarily FF fans of course.

I really think the PS4/Xbone ratio will be vastly far apart compared FFXIII PS3/360. Heck, KH3 is going to be veeeeeeeeeery far apart.

DigitalDevilSummoner

FF has a big (fragmented) fanbase on consoles and those aren't going to suddenly jump ship to PC and just pirate it just cuz they can. It's very likely that most of those (who are still around and interested in buying FFXV) are still going to keep playing FF games on consoles, some of those will go the PC Elitist way plus there will be a whole new audience who will want to try a massive game like FFXV since I'm sure it looks interesting even to people who play largely on PCs. It's the same as it was with FFXIII. It was announced multiplatform, people thought PS3 would be done for but in the end a vast majority of people still went with what they are used with (playing FF on Sony's consoles) and got it for PS3.

The "whole new audience" is very unlikely to pay 60 bucks day one. And the majority did buy it on the PS3 but it was the lowest selling FF on a PS console at the end of the day.

We are constantly bringing the issue of the "broken" franchise and the faith lost in Square when it's about trashing XIII but when it's about XV sales, the fanbase becomes loyal again. How odd.

Skilletor

DigitalDevilSummoner

Do you have sales breakdown for PC vs. 360?

I found this:

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/21/what-square-enix-games-sold-well-last-year/

Which puts the game at 600k if I'm reading that right. Would be a shame if the horrible 360 version really did that well. :p

I am pretty surprised at those numbers, though. Am I reading this right? Is almost 600k correct for Last Remnant?

You can probably guess my source which puts the game at 600K on the 360 alone lifetime and you article is 2009

Chake

Banned
It's not like am happy about it. But SE has been known of making the first character CG pictures the final boxart (Well, for the XIII trilogy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom