• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voror

Maybe the translators on the project are actually working with a good script this time? lol Or perhaps the translation direction itself is going for a more serious tone as opposed to FFXIII.

Maybe they got Alexander O Smith again? I'd like to see him handling things again.

Also that picture goes to show that Lucis hasn't changed in art direction since the early days.

All in the day/night lightning difference.

We will still get this awesome :D

That screenshot is beautiful. And it features the superior design!

Esura

Banned
Did we ever find out what the special meaning behind the red on the shoe soles is? I remember that it's supposedly an important detail (wall running?)

Supposed to be some fashion designers trademark style or something. Roone or something that Nomura used for them.

Go_Ly_Dow

-the theme for the game is "bond"(Kizuna). The main story is serious, but there will be a lot of humor/comedy in the game.

Huge +point for me.

Old FF games always had these bright and quirky moments present throughout the serious storylines. Something else XIII lacked.

Zoe

Supposed to be some fashion designers trademark style or something. Roone or something that Nomura used for them.

I don't know if it's signature, but Roen uses those soles for other shoes.

CG9rGWa.jpg

Esura

Banned
That would be Bleach. So FF has fallen so far that it is now ripping off Bleach.

lol, just kidding. Seriously, I'm kidding. Please don't hurt me...

Eh? I LOVE Bleach so any comparison to it would only get me more hyped.

Despite Nomura's comments, I hope the end project is like Bleach meets FF. Ignis reminds me of Uryuu.

I don't know if it's signature, but Roen uses those soles for other shoes.

CG9rGWa.jpg

That...is so weird. Weird to the point I would want to wear them.

Probably some expensive uppity fashion price though.

well these people are all from nobility so having big pompuous names seem pretty normal

And if they don't go around shouting There full names constantly it won't really be a bother.

Prompto: "Noctis Lucis Caelum they are going after your father!!"

Noctis: "I know. We must go save my father, Regis Lucis Caelum."

Prompto: "Okay! Where's Gladiolus Amicitia?"
Noctis: "I don't know, Prompto Argentum. He must be around here somewhe---"

Gladiolus: "I am right here Noctis Lucis Caelum and Prompto Argentum. Guys we need tactical support!! Call Ignis Stupeo Scientia."

Noctis: "Okay! Calling Ignis Stupeo Scientia."

*ringing*

Ignis: "Ignis here.... Oh hey Noct.... Why am I not saying your full name you say?......"

wanders

IyY4ML0.jpg

All my hopes for a full-on open worked lie on the left side of this image.

SE is going big, HD towns ---> HD cities

Hedge

Is it just me or do the big eyes on the behemoth make it look cuter than it should be?

The behemoth at the end of the gameplay video looks reeeaaalllyyyyy cute. I hope we find a baby behemoth and Noctis takes it with him and learns to ride it and wreaks havoc from the back of a fullgrown behemoth and..

..so yeah anyway

The behemoth at the end of the gameplay video looks reeeaaalllyyyyy cute. I hope we find a baby behemoth and Noctis takes it with him and learns to ride it and wreaks havoc from the back of a fullgrown behemoth and..

..so yeah anyway

I laughed harder then I should have at this. Calling behemoths cute. Lol. That second half is gold too.

Eh? I LOVE Bleach so any comparison to it would only get me more hyped.

Despite Nomura's comments, I hope the end project is like Bleach meets FF. Ignis reminds me of Uryuu.

That...is so weird. Weird to the point I would want to wear them.

Probably some expensive uppity fashion price though.

Taking some inspiration from Bleach fight scenes would be fine (though I think Kubo is running out of ideas since he's gotten rather formulaic). Having Kubo do some of the designs? Could work. Getting lessons on how to write a plot from Tite Kubo? Hell no.

Thorgal

Prompto: "Noctis Lucis Caelum they are going after your father!!"

Noctis: "I know. We must go save my father, Regis Lucis Caelum."

Prompto: "Okay! Where's Gladiolus Amicitia?"
Noctis: "I don't know, Prompto Argentum. He must be around here somewhe---"

Gladiolus: "I am right here Noctis Lucis Caelum and Prompto Argentum. Guys we need tactical support!! Call Ignis Stupeo Scientia."

Noctis: "Okay! Calling Ignis Stupeo Scientia."

*ringing*

Ignis: "Ignis here.... Oh hey Noct.... Why am I not saying your full name you say?......"

Yeah .pretty much this .

Oh BTW you made me think back of Vaan's I AM CAPTAIN BASCH VON ROSENBURG!

DON'T BELIEVE ONDORE'S LIES !

*shudders.

Esura

Banned
Their men's shoes run from 60,900Y to 199,500Y...

http://roenshop.jp/

LOL wtf?

I could live off the price of those shoes for quite a few months if it is what I think it is in USD.

Taking some inspiration from Bleach fight scenes would be fine (though I think Kubo is running out of ideas since he's gotten rather formulaic). Having Kubo do some of the designs? Could work. Getting lessons on how to write a plot from Tite Kubo? Hell no.

That's Tite Kubo's biggest weakness, pacing in his plot. If he wrote FFXV we'd be playing for 12 hours just for Noc and the gang to decide where to go.

Noctis - Ichigo
Gladioloiuses - Chad
Prompto - Kon
Ignis - Uryuu
Cor - Urahara Kisuke

Stella - Orihime

Maybe they got Alexander O Smith again? I'd like to see him handling things again.

Honestly, if they are going for a Shakespearean vibe in the game, Smith is the guy to ask. His translations may not be super-literal, but they sound good and they give the characters far more personality than a straight transliteration would. Kind of like Ted Woolsey, but a lot more flowery and "stylish".

I'd say if they can get him, they should. Tactics Ogre's new translation was amazing.

Thorgal

LOL wtf?

I could live off the price of those shoes for quite a few months if it is what I think it is in USD.

That's Tite Kubo's biggest weakness, pacing in his plot. If he wrote FFXV we'd be playing for 12 hours just for Noc and the gang to decide where to go.

Noctis - Ichigo
Gladioloiuses - Chad
Prompto - Kon
Ignis - Uryuu
Cor - Urahara Kisuke

Stella - Orihime

So Prompto is gonna be the perv of the team ?

Also Nomura i beg you : don't make Stella the token Fansservice girl please.

Esura

Banned

Well yeah, he looks like it.

Stella looks like she is going to be more than just fanservice....but I still hope Nomura fill her out a bit just because. If Nomura gave her a rack as big as Orihime and made her all cutesy like like her I would just die in happiness. Stella already got a cute face so that's one down but we haven't seen the rest of her new body yet. Although I'm not worried though cause Nomura make some good women.

Hedge

Judging by both Kairi, Aqua and Namine in KH, I trust him with his rendition of females.

Besides, going from the female cast of XIII (besides maybe Fang), it can only go up from here.

Stella looks like she is going to be more than just fanservice....but I still hope Nomura fill her out a bit just because. If Nomura gave her a rack as big as Orihime and made her all cutesy like like her I would just die in happiness. Stella already got a cute face so that's one down but we haven't seen the rest of her new body yet. Although I'm not worried though cause Nomura make some good women.

Stella is supposed to be a very serious and conflicted character. Not sure the Orihime trope makes sense for her. Rukia would probably be closer to her archetype if you want to follow the Bleach analogy.

Especially if her brother is the main villain...

Esura

Banned
Stella is supposed to be a very serious and conflicted character. Not sure the Orihime trope makes sense for her. Rukia would probably be closer to her archetype if you want to follow the Bleach analogy.

Especially if her brother is the main villain...

Ohhh, I didn't think of that one. Good one. Hope she'd eventually lighten up like Rukia over time though.

Byakuya 2.0 Ezio Version

Famassu

But even so, one person pirating the game instead of buying it on PS4 is bad for Square and it's bad for Sony. I'm just saying, this is the methodology these kinds of studios use.

In most publishers' eyes, it's better to not even give gamers the option to pirate until it's absolutely necessary or until sales are slowing down. That's why Ubisoft's PC ports are always late.
Sure, but Square Enix has shown to be enthusiastic of handling their PC ports well (Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs & such) and it being a successful approach. If they can do that with their western games, why not Japanese ones? Those are, after all, the ones that really need the expansion of userbase the most given the current state of the genre.

It's not about seamlessness. It's about crashing into buildings and it looking patently ridiculous to fly an FF airship around Tokyo or New York City. If you fly through the city and hit a skyscraper, then just bounce harmlessly off of it, it breaks the "reality" Nomura is going for.
They could just limit it so that there's a kind of invisible barrier of how close to the cities you can fly, so you could fly over them but not go all Al Qaeda on the skyscrapers.

That being said, I don't see how a world designed like FFXII's would even work with a full seamless world map, seeing as you literally only see very small, distinct pieces of a very large world during the course of the game.
Why couldn't they do it like any other open-world game? They could limit it to one mega-continent (that wouldn't ACTUALLY be the size of a continent, but big enough to satisfy on a gameplay level) + smaller islands around it and simply have a "no fly-zone" after you reach too far to the sea, where the crew will be all like "we've come too far, let's turn back" and then the game does an auto 180 degrees. I mean Elder Scrolls games have "big cities" which have something, like, four buildings, yet people don't really complain about that much, so I think FFXV should be able to get away with having a big continent that wouldn't necessarily be that much of an continent in the real world, but still sizable enough that it offers plenty of exploration.

If XV's world is supposed to be a full planet, letting you fly all around it but limiting where you can actually land solely to places where the story takes place makes no sense.
Is it, though? I don't think Nomura has ever said so (he's just implied the scale of the world is huge and before it wasn't completely seamless) and only having five kingdoms certainly feels kind of small if you compare it to Earth having close to 200 countries. I feel like they might take an FFXII like approach where the war only takes place within one part/continent of the world. And that could be made to work, but of course then you wouldn't be able to go around the world (but really, is that at all important?)

They don't have the resources to model an entire planet and make all of it explorable, which is what would have to happen if the airship control is seamless with the normal game world. It would also break the reality of the setting if you're flying over the ocean and suddenly hit an invisible wall because the developers ran out of budget.
Which is why they are quite likely not even hoping to make a full planet, but only a part of it.

The only way it conceivably makes sense to make a fully controllable airship is if it's done Lost Odyssey-style, and even then the world would have to be a lot smaller than we might think. Airships and 3D open world games simply do not mix.
They do mix perfectly well, but they do require a somewhat massive world and it's not quite the same as having a full planet.

Nomura already said that the game is designed so there are no loading times between cities and fields - the transition is entirely seamless. I don't think it's possible to have airships usable in fields but not towns unless the airship map is different from the on-foot map.
Ah, okay, but they could just set the kind of limitations I gave. You probably couldn't land in cities then, but had to go to their outskirts.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Shameless.

Esura

Banned
I can't help that I have high hopes for Stella as the female face of the next mainline FF installment.

FF series is one of the best in the RPG realm when it comes to adorable women in it's games.

And I'm willing to pay up to 20 bucks for bikini DLC for Stella when this game comes out. No doubt.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I can't help that I have high hopes for Stella as the female face of the next mainline FF installment.

FF series is one of the best in the RPG realm when it comes to adorable women in it's games.

She doesn't need to be sexualized to be a good character.

God I hope not. Orihime is one of my most despised characters of all time. And I've had about enough fanservice to last me a life time due to Lightning Returns.

Esura

Banned

I didn't say that now. That said, her being enhanced will only be in her favor. A good character that's also really titillating? I'm game for that.

I mean, Yuna is one of the best FF females in the series and she is also adorable and hnng to boot.

Agreed. Leave the sexualization stuff to the niche RPGs. This is supposed to be a serious story.

I didn't say that now. That said, her being enhanced will only be in her favor. A good character that's also really titillating? I'm game for that.

I mean, Yuna is one of the best FF females in the series and she is also adorable and hnng to boot.

Yuna is a human doormat with the personality depth of a four-day-old driveway puddle. The FF series has far better examples of good female characters than her. Try Garnet or Celes. :)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

You said that you hope Stella has huge racks. And proceeded to justify it by saying you hope so with the expectation of her being the new female face for FF. There's an enthymeme here that you believe the size or a girl's rack dictates the importance of the female and her role in the game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
We see the same stuff in the battle gameplay video. So no. And we've already seen Noctis run on many of those same streets and alleyways, so there's that.

That particular screenshot I commented, is CG, even if there was real-time gameplay footage of the same area.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Given that Nomura is aiming for realism here and not tired anime cliches, I think you'll be disappointed.

louis89

What happened to the location based on Tokyo from the early trailers? I remember seeing "Shirokane" on a toll booth display and the building Noctis and Stella talked about the "light" or whatever was clearly the Hilton tower, and it even had the Metropolitan Government Building in the background. It doesn't seem to be in the E3 2013 trailer though, which seems to be a set in a fantasy world much more typical for the series. Please don't tell me Tokyo has been cut? It would be so cool.

Fake edit: This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF2GMvm8cTo

Shikoro

Also that picture goes to show that Lucis hasn't changed in art direction since the early days.

All in the day/night lightning difference.

acmzc9u.jpg

We will still get this awesome :D
Man, do I love this shot. I hope that it's still there in the final game. Makes me sad that Nomura made her so kiddy...

CG up the whazoo.
That is obviously not CG.

The fact that they used PS3 footage in the trailer makes me wonder how far away they are from completing the game.

Manu

We already have Tifa for that, and people always remember her boobs first and her character arc and development later. Thanks, but no, thanks.

EDIT: I'm talking about the general audience, not the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom