• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okay see I was talking about the Gameplay Reveal trailer (and parts of the Announcement trailer). Kayos's screen in particular is taken from a strait 1080p screen grab of the gameplay trailer. I was arguing that is in game (and it is in game) and not CG.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is an example from the E3 trailer:

AEv7Als.jpg

Note how Prompto's hair looks a lot different here compared to the PS3 model-like gameplay video.

Voror

I believe Nomura said there was a lot of CG in the E3 Reveal Trailer (which is true). The gameplay in that trailer though and the gameplay in the subsequent "first look gameplay" trailer is actual in-game madness.

The latter I understood, but given the scripted nature of the former I was under the impression it might not be actual gameplay there.

They specifically said that for KH3.

Ah, my mistake.

This is an example from the E3 trailer:

Note how Prompto's hair looks a lot different here compared to the PS3 model-like gameplay video.

There is some surprising jagginess and a whole bunch of low-quality textures in that shot, now that I look at it up close and without motion. Maybe it is "in-game" graphics, just a heavily scripted non-gameplay thing they mocked up using PS4 assets for the trailer.

duckroll

There is some surprising jagginess and a whole bunch of low-quality textures in that shot, now that I look at it up close and without motion. Maybe it is "in-game" graphics, just a heavily scripted non-gameplay thing they mocked up using PS4 assets for the trailer.

Jaggies and low resolution textures are by no means a sign that it is not pre-rendered. People really need to realize that just because something is not rendered in realtime, it does not mean it's meant to look perfect. Target renders are generally done with assets and levels of detail which they hope to be able to achieve in realtime eventually. They mock them up and pre-rendered them so it looks the way they want to show people what the product is expected to look like. It's not generally intended to be a "scam" to trick people, but it's also common that when developers are too ambitious, they will find that they are unable to meet the standard of the target renders due to performance issues, and that's why the actual game sometimes looks worse.

Jaggies and low resolution textures are by no means a sign that it is not pre-rendered. People really need to realize that just because something is not rendered in realtime, it does not mean it's meant to look perfect. Target renders are generally done with assets and levels of detail which they hope to be able to achieve in realtime eventually. They mock them up and pre-rendered them so it looks the way they want to show people what the product is expected to look like. It's not generally intended to be a "scam" to trick people, but it's also common that when developers are too ambitious, they will find that they are unable to meet the standard of the target renders due to performance issues, and that's why the actual game sometimes looks worse.

I'm not saying they're trying to be deceptive. I'm just saying there's nothing in that trailer, at least visuals-wise, that seems out of the realm of possibility for the PS4. The actions Noctis DOES seem a bit too smooth to be anything other than scripted, though.

I fully agree it's a mock-up. I just think it might be done using actual assets, since it's fairly obvious that the final game is not going to use those PS3-looking character models from the gameplay trailer for the main characters.

Lest we forget:

FFXIII_fire.jpg

Oh but I want to so, so badly.

Just believe Kagari!!! With XIII it was Toriyama. We placed our faith in the wrong director. This is Nomura we are talking about. He's never steered us wrong. Just believe.

What happened to you Kagari. You used to be so full of hope for FFXV(Versus)....

Edit:
Plus it was easy to tell early on that wasn't gameplay in XIII. XV on the other hand...

Foolworm

Wow, never noticed the horrible font for Lightning's name next to the ATB bar. So glad they did not go with it for the final product.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh but I want to so, so badly.

Just believe Kagari!!! With XIII it was Toriyama. We placed our faith in the wrong director. This is Nomura we are talking about. He's never steered us wrong. Just believe.

What happened to you Kagari. You used to be so full of hope for FFXV(Versus)....

Edit:
Plus it was easy to tell early on that wasn't gameplay in XIII. XV on the other hand...

I became a realist.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hmm... I think it's more then that. I think something in the game changed that you're not a particularly big fan of. Maybe the Stella redesign or something...

Nah, I just don't want to be disappointed like I was with FFXIII so I'm going to avoid getting overhyped. I've taken this approach with FFXIV and have been pleasantly surprised by what the new version has to offer.

Voror

It's funny but I don't feel super hyped for this. We've been waiting for it so long and I was ecstatic when the announcement happened, but now I'm set to just wait and see what more info comes down the pipeline.

Nah, I just don't want to be disappointed like I was with FFXIII so I'm going to avoid getting overhyped. I've taken this approach with FFXIV and have been pleasantly surprised by what the new version has to offer.

Ah I see.

I would take that approach. However I've very rarely been "disappointed" by a game. Usually I can call relatively early if I'll like a game or not. (In 2007 I told people XIII would probably not be very good)

Now while I've rarely had a game disappoint me I have had games where I've been plesently surprised with how good certain aspects of the game can be. (Like Bioshock: Infinite, Killzone 2, the original Infamous, AC2 and currently FFXIV beta)

So knowing this I am being optimistic because I see the stuff I like and I know what's there that will be there. (I play FF's for the story, characters and music usually)

But I understand taking the cautiously optimistic/ realist/ slightly pessimistic route.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Lest we forget:

My dad works at Square Enix and told me Blizzrad was a spell that stopped the spinning of your actual game disc, wiped all your data, and by extension caused a game over. When used on an enemy it supposedly warped all time and space and you actually get an infinite number of scenarios in the game because the spell creates algorithms on it's own.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oh, also I think the whole "we're already planning sequels" bit also deflated my excitement somewhat.

That scared me quite a bit. I understand that they need to get their money's worth out of these games, but I can't do another generation of them just getting out one mainline game and then a bunch of spinoffs. The lack of even a release window for this is worrying to me. If we're two years into the next generation and this is still MIA, I give up. Haha

PerZona

It's funny but I don't feel super hyped for this. We've been waiting for it so long and I was ecstatic when the announcement happened, but now I'm set to just wait and see what more info comes down the pipeline.

I totally feel the same way as you. Don't really feel the hype anymore. Probably I have been waiting too long for this game already.

Pooya

My problem with the sequels is, if they cover these 4-5 locales/countries in the game which is like the whole world(?) what they're going to do in the sequels?

- if it's just retreading of same old places, it's going to be boring...

- if they pull off another XIII and destroy everything just because, with inane random plot I'm going to be annoyed.

Best outcome is probably holding back some places but still mentioning them in some way and keep it for sequels, but would that be enough? I feel that the scope of FF sequels will always be small... Let's hope they don't waste another generation just on sequels D:

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That scared me quite a bit. I understand that they need to get their money's worth out of these games, but I can't do another generation of them just getting out one mainline game and then a bunch of spinoffs. The lack of even a release window for this is worrying to me. If we're two years into the next generation and this is still MIA, I give up. Haha

Yes, and then you also must consider they announced this game 7 years ago...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My problem with the sequels is, if they cover these 4-5 locales/countries in the game which is like the whole world(?) what they're going to do in the sequels?

- if it's just retreading of same old places, it's going to be boring...

- if they pull off another XIII and destroy everything just because, with inane random plot I'm going to be annoyed.

Best outcome is probably holding back some places but still mentioning them in some way and keep it for sequels, but would that be enough? I feel that the scope of FF sequels will always be small... Let's hope they don't waste another generation just on sequels D:

Considering it's an epic I actually wouldn't be surprised if the story and the focus for XV is really simple and short leading to the second act of XV and so on and so forth with the eventual kingship of noctis or some dumb crap.

Either that or we get multiple generations of characters. LOL. Play as Noctis' kid and his kid's kid. LOLOLOLOL.

Go_Ly_Dow

So, Nomura said the 4 great nations in the world are Lucis, Niflheim, Solheim, and Accordo. There will also be other cities and villages throughout the world, but these are the big four. Lucis is based on Tokyo, and Accordo is based on Venice. I wonder what the cities of Niflehim and Solheim will look like... Quick, anyone know which interesting cities Nomura has visited on business? :p

LA for E3!??

Also this game is going to be huuuuge.

kayos90

I actually like this...

From what I recall of epics there is a clear structure of how things are handled. The hero goes on a grand but simple quest. Hero completes his quest and life goes on and then dies by some stupid reason of sorts or in a noble way. I wouldn't be surprised if Noctis ascends as a king by the first game's end you play as an adult Noctis and his kid in the second game with the eventual death of Noctis. Idk... Just trying to remember how Greek epics worked.

Erm. In the E3 trailer there definitely is "pre-rendered" gameplay parts.

Can't believe they did some of this again. And they talk about sequels too.

Well, I am hyped for this game, but if it turns out to be a disappointment, it might be a good thing if it bombs massively, and brings an end to SE and this series...

Considering it's an epic I actually wouldn't be surprised if the story and the focus for XV is really simple and short leading to the second act of XV and so on and so forth with the eventual kingship of noctis or some dumb crap.

Either that or we get multiple generations of characters. LOL. Play as Noctis' kid and his kid's kid. LOLOLOLOL.

Nomura said the game (XV) will reach its climax and (conclusion?) at the end of XV. I look at a more "the world lore is vast". Thus them wanting to make sequels in that world.

It was weird they talked about sequels but at least they're being open about it now rather than later. Also it was reassuring to know that we won't get some BS cliffhanger at the end of XV. They will conclude that story within the same game.

Go_Ly_Dow

Oh actually I suck. It says Tanebre. Not Nilfheim. Lucis, Solheim, Tanabre, and Accordo are the 4 great nations protected by crystals. I guess Nilfheim never had a crystal to begin with? So there'll be 5 major cities in the game probably, with Nilfheim being the final dungeon??

Again duckroll?

I bet you thought I wouldn't see this.

You're on thin ice.

kayos90

Gosh. Imagine if they went real balls to the walls and made XV choose your own wife by the game's end then that carries all the way over to the third game and stuff. ROFL. Stuff of EPIC legends. hahahaha.

I'm actually not worried about the sequels because they seem to be thinking about them now. X-2 and the XIII sequels were after thoughts, not originally intended during their respective initial games were being developed. I think that will make a difference.

kayos90

I'm actually not worried about the sequels because they seem to be thinking about them now. X-2 and the XIII sequels were after thoughts, not originally intended during their respective initial games were being developed. I think that will make a difference.

Here's to hoping LR retcons the XIII-2 retcon and then proceeds to retcon LR itself as well leaving XIII by itself. =D

Seda

I feel similarly. Having sequels seemingly planned out earlier this time could lead continuations on FFXV to be very different then what we got with FFXIII (or FFX for that matter).

Foolworm

Yeah, some of the gameplay during the full-fledged trailer definitely seems "target render"-y. Probably not too far from what the final game will look like when played by an experienced gamer, but still. Too fluid on its own.

I'm not so sure about that. The demo player was deliberately sloppy to show off the range of animations, but it is still evident that the character 'snaps' from move to move.

The vertical gameplay component is pretty much a lock-on button mashing segment since there is no control over movement (note the reticle automatically snaps to the next available enemy character). Camera control is retained, since it refocuses at one point in the trailer.

I won't comment on the graphics - after 7 years, I expected no less. If SE pulled a Duke Nukem Forever, they would be finished as a developer.

I'm not so sure about that. The demo player was deliberately sloppy to show off the range of animations, but it is still evident that the character 'snaps' from move to move.

The vertical gameplay component is pretty much a lock-on button mashing segment since there is no control over movement (note the reticle automatically snaps to the next available enemy character). Camera control is retained, since it refocuses at one point in the trailer.

I won't comment on the graphics - after 7 years, I expected no less. If SE pulled a Duke Nukem Forever, they would be finished as a developer.

The issue for me is, I literally can't see any jaggies in some of the combat segments in the trailer, whereas they are evident in the gameplay trailer.

iavi

On the flip-side, while it may lead to a better thought out story at large, I always feel that things planned as iterations from the start tend to suffer some sort of bs open-endedness till the very end.

I want ONE GOOD CONCLUSIVE title out of XV. The FF to bring me back into the fold (granted, a relam reborn is kind of doing this already) All this talk of sequels when this game still doesn't even have a release date attached just makes me go ugh

Voror

With the sequel thing I'm of two minds. On one hand, planned out sequels in the same world could end up being really cool depending on what they end up exploring. On the other, I can't help but think that despite claims of a complete story for this we might have stuff that could have been in the one game.

With this game being in the oven so long it must be a massive money sink, here's how they can save some cash.

Noctis' 5 man band will all be voiced by Troy Baker, all the other male characters will be voiced by Nolan North. The few females characters in the game will all be voiced by Laura Bailey, genius I say.

Esura

Banned
With this game being in the oven so long it must be a massive money sink, here's how they can save some cash.

Noctis' 5 man band will all be voiced by Troy Baker, all the other male characters will be voiced by Nolan North. The few females characters in the game will all be voiced by Laura Bailey, genius I say.

Hell yeah! She really brings out the cute in characters.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Lol... No more Troy Baker and Laura Bailey...I think we need some new voice actors. Can't have every company use the same people all the time.

And I think VOs are paid by session so the cost of using 5 actors for 5 roles and 1 actor for 5 roles would cost roughly the same.

Stella can be the cute voice, black haired lady must be the sexy voice.

Stella= Serah and Black Haired Woman= Kaine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom