• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

edotlee

So we have metropolitan city and Renaissance Europe. Nifihelm seems to imply an icy and watery nation, and the other one I'm gonna guess something with greens and plains.

I'm a sucker for mystical desert cultures. We've seen that infinite desert road, so maybe we'll get something like a modern Lut Gholein as the exotic nation.

I'm always partial to cities in the sky. It would be a sight to see with next-gen graphics.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
KpzDL2H.jpg

These characters are simply too cool for Final Fantasy. Then again, we have had Auron, Lulu, and Balthier....

edit: Also, I'm going to be angry if this game doesn't receive a stellar localization. Not just good voice actors, not just accurate translations, but the script needs to sound like it was practically written in English from the get-go.

PerZona

Looks like there won't be any female party members included in the Noctis' party? Hopefully Stella or the unknown girl will join his party later in the game. Stella's abilities looks really interesting which was shown in the CG trailer a few years ago. Although that was a fight scene against Noctis =/

duckroll

I'm always partial to cities in the sky. It would be a sight to see with next-gen graphics.

I think they already did that in FF Type-0. The four great nations where - a magic school, an advanced military empire, a harsh desert kingdom, and a nation floating in the sky with dragon riders and stuff.

injurai

Banned
These characters are simply too cool for Final Fantasy. Then again, we have had Auron, Lulu, and Balthier....

edit: Also, I'm going to be angry if this game doesn't receive a stellar localization. Not just good voice actors, not just accurate translations, but the script needs to sound like it was practically written in English from the get-go.

Yeah, I love how they actually have defining human traits. Not just generic perfected humanoid beauty and what have you. All very distinct.

Looks like there won't be any female party members included in the Noctis' party? Hopefully Stella or the unknown girl will join his party later in the game. Stella's abilities looks really interesting which was shown in the CG trailer a few years ago. Although that was a fight scene against Noctis =/

It's seems to be a bit of a buddy adventure. Which I'm fine with. But come on, they have to pick up some tail along the way.

I think they already did that in FF Type-0. The four great nations where - a magic school, an advanced military empire, a harsh desert kingdom, and a nation floating in the sky with dragon riders and stuff.

So now they do Tokyo city of light, Venice city of water, some sort of desert but it's more of an oasis. Then some sort of cold refridgerator where people are pissy wear white clothes and steal crystals to power their furnaces during their 8 month winters.

We really don't know yet. It's a bit too early to be certain of who the entire playable cast is. All we know is that the team in the promo shots and videos is Team Noctbro at the beginning of the game.

I still think Cor is going to betray the party and Prompto is going to die, though.

So, Nomura said the 4 great nations in the world are Lucis, Niflheim, Solheim, and Accordo. There will also be other cities and villages throughout the world, but these are the big four. Lucis is based on Tokyo, and Accordo is based on Venice. I wonder what the cities of Niflehim and Solheim will look like... Quick, anyone know which interesting cities Nomura has visited on business? :p

Wait back up. I though Tenebrae was a nation. Wasn't Solheim or Accordo a city? I mean remember these are nations. They are made up of more then just one massive city.

Pooya

Concordia in Type-0 wasn't really floating. I want to see something like Bhujerba in FFXII.

Then some sort of cold refrigerator where people are pissy wear white clothes and steal crystals to power their furnaces during their 8 month winters.

that was Type-0 too ;b

Voror

So, Nomura said the 4 great nations in the world are Lucis, Niflheim, Solheim, and Accordo. There will also be other cities and villages throughout the world, but these are the big four. Lucis is based on Tokyo, and Accordo is based on Venice. I wonder what the cities of Niflehim and Solheim will look like... Quick, anyone know which interesting cities Nomura has visited on business? :p

Maybe a big Middle Eastern city?

Wonder what happened to Tenebrae?

Or maybe Tenebrae isn't a nation, but just a city in one of the four countries...

Maybe it's a more minor nation? And if there are four great nations, then I suppose we may well be sticking to the four crystals rule as opposed to the 5 when it was thought Tenebrae was a great nation as well.

Maybe it's a more minor nation? And if there are four great nations, then I suppose we may well be sticking to the four crystals rule as opposed to the 5 when it was thought Tenebrae was a great nation as well.

Tenebrae is mentioned in the most recent trailer in the same breath as Solheim, Accordo, Niflheim and Lucis, and someone says it had a crystal that was stolen as well. It seems like it's being given the same level of importance as the other four.

Maybe Tenebrae is already destroyed by the time the story starts? That could explain why Square is being bullish about talking about it.

duckroll

Wait back up. I though Tenebre was a nation. Wasn't Solheim or Accordo a city? I mean remember these are nations. They are made up of more then just one massive city.

Oh actually I suck. It says Tanebre. Not Nilfheim. Lucis, Solheim, Tanabre, and Accordo are the 4 great nations protected by crystals. I guess Nilfheim never had a crystal to begin with? So there'll be 5 major cities in the game probably, with Nilfheim being the final dungeon??

injurai

Banned
Oh actually I suck. It says Tanebre. Not Nilfheim. Lucis, Solheim, Tanabre, and Accordo are the 4 great nations protected by crystals. I guess Nilfheim never had a crystal to begin with? So there'll be 5 major cities in the game probably, with Nilfheim being the final dungeon??

Why would it be the final dungeon?

Tenebrae (they didn't retranslate it, did they? That name is kind of symbolic...) is definitely going to be pretty major, since that's where Stella's from.

I would assume half the reason Niflheim is out to get the crystals is that either they never had one, or theirs was destroyed. A crystal is shown shattering in one of the earlier trailers, I believe. I doubt they'll be the final dungeon though...I'm still hedging my bets on Idola being the Gestahl of the game and the real villain will end up being Hood Guy.

And I'm still almost 100% certain that he's Stella's brother.

DarkKyo

Moms are tough.

Soriku

If memory serves, the desert highway is actually right outside of the capital of Lucis.

I believe the gas station in that area is based off of American gas stations so that might be like a Wild West-esque area rather than a desert. Plus there are roads there.

They could do a Middle Eastern area (but not have it be all desert) and maybe a snow area based off of Russia or something.

Apoptomon

So among all the Latiny-ness of the cast names, Lucis, Accordo and Tenebrae, there's the Nordic-inspired Niflheim and Solheim. I wonder if there's anything to read into that? Or am I grasping at straws here and they just sound "cool".

duckroll

So among all the Latiny-ness of the cast names, Lucis, Accordo and Tenebrae, there's the Nordic-inspired Niflheim and Solheim. I wonder if there's anything to read into that? Or am I grasping at straws here and they just sound "cool".

There's probably some reason. Nomura and Nojima are both generally pretty deliberate when they name characters and places, to the extent that for people who are actually familiar with what they're referencing it's pretty on the nose. :p

Voror

Tenebrae is mentioned in the most recent trailer in the same breath as Solheim, Accordo, Niflheim and Lucis, and someone says it had a crystal that was stolen as well. It seems like it's being given the same level of importance as the other four.

Maybe Tenebrae is already destroyed by the time the story starts? That could explain why Square is being bullish about talking about it.

We barely know anything about the nations or what's going on, which is rather irritating. Better than knowing it all now and spoiling it I guess.

Possible or perhaps they were just absorbed into Niflheim.

Either they had one at some point and it broke or never to begin with, which might serve as a possible motive behind wanting to take them all. Maybe they were some struggling nation who had to work their way to greatness or something.

Tenebrae (they didn't retranslate it, did they? That name is kind of symbolic...) is definitely going to be pretty major, since that's where Stella's from.

I would assume half the reason Niflheim is out to get the crystals is that either they never had one, or theirs was destroyed. A crystal is shown shattering in one of the earlier trailers, I believe. I doubt they'll be the final dungeon though...I'm still hedging my bets on Idola being the Gestahl of the game and the real villain will end up being Hood Guy.

And I'm still almost 100% certain that he's Stella's brother.

I could see Tenebrae being the final city myself with Niflheim perhaps being the Disc One Final Boss part of the game. After all, if I remember the information correctly then don't some of the legends we've seen regarding Etro in this world seem to come out of Tenebrae? That could be a clue possibly since I'd imagine that aspect of things would be important.

I'm betting on hood guy as a brother as well, though final boss I'm not sure on.

I could see Tenebrae being the final city myself with Niflheim perhaps being the Disc One Final Boss part of the game. After all, if I remember the information correctly then don't some of the legends we've seen regarding Etro in this world seem to come out of Tenebrae? That could be a clue possibly since I'd imagine that aspect of things would be important.

I'm betting on hood guy as a brother as well, though final boss I'm not sure on.

I think the final dungeon is going to be the Kingdom of the Dead that keeps getting mentioned in trailers and screenshots, honestly. I could see Stella's brother instigating or extending the war to get all the crystals so he can open Etro's Gate and take over the Kingdom. It's fairly clear that Noctis' rival will be Hood Guy, since Idola seems to be Regis' rival instead.

Apoptomon

There's probably some reason. Nomura and Nojima are both generally pretty deliberate when they name characters and places, to the extent that for people who are actually familiar with what they're referencing it's pretty on the nose. :p
So "light", "harmony", "darkness", "mist" and "sun" ? Crystal powers / summons / elements?

Pooya

speaking of countries and symbols, do we know anything about them? looking at the trailer.

these guys seem to have a red dragon (or bahamut?) symbol. Maybe these guys will be 'British' in the dub :b

This hooded guy, has white wolf symbol on his shoulder.

this armored guy is with him?

These guys have a different symbol. Maybe it's the Leviathan? dunno.

I missed all the paintings of sailing ships in that house before, there seem to be sailboats in the water in the overview of city too. I hope they are more than just static objects :D

PerZona

We really don't know yet. It's a bit too early to be certain of who the entire playable cast is. All we know is that the team in the promo shots and videos is Team Noctbro at the beginning of the game.

I still think Cor is going to betray the party and Prompto is going to die, though.

It seems that the trailer in the end where it shows all of the main character's faces, the faces that are shown on the right side are all the main villains. Not sure if Stella and the unnamed girl are villains, but the way the trailer puts it I assume they are. Which is >=((

OMG I haven't even seen this.

Swag on one thousand trillion.

Interesting thing I just noticed in this promo picture that doesn't really come out in the other promo art or the in-game character model...

Noctis has the exact same way too blue eyes as Sora. Same shade and everything. Probably not plot-significant, but it seems like something Nomura probably did on purpose.

It seems that the trailer in the end where it shows all of the main character's faces, the faces that are shown on the right side are all the main villains. Not sure if Stella and the unnamed girl are villains, but the way the trailer puts it I assume they are. Which is >=((

Stella is Ophelia. She's going to definitely change sides at least once or twice.

And regarding black-haired girl, someone mentioned elsewhere that she was Noctis' arranged bride from one of the other nations, but something happens to prevent the wedding. I can't imagine she'd be too happy with him in that case. I also don't know if that part is true, though. I've never seen any official confirmation.

injurai

Banned
Interesting thing I just noticed in this promo picture that doesn't really come out in the other promo art or the in-game character model...

Noctis has the exact same way too blue eyes as Sora. Same shade and everything. Probably not plot-significant, but it seems like something Nomura probably did on purpose.

Stella is Ophelia. She's going to definitely change sides at least once or twice.

I thought his eyes changed color or somthing

duckroll

Lucis = Light
Tanebrae = Darkness

Both are Latin words, Noctis (night) is from Lucis (light), Stella (star) is from Tanebrae (darkness). The opposites are pretty clearly intended here.

Accordo is Italian for Harmony, and it is modeled after Venice, an Italian city. It's probably intended to be a neutral country with no opposite side like the others.

Niflheim = Home of Mist
Solheim = Home of the Sun

Nordic word origins, probably suggesting they are an older part of the world. Also opposing naming conventions. Maybe Solheim is going to be the USA of XV - the "Sun" to all nations, and the greatest economic power in the world, with Niflheim living in its shadow within the mists. Like the cold realm of its namesake.

injurai

Banned
Lucis = Light
Tanebrae = Darkness

Both are Latin words, Noctis (night) is from Lucis (light), Stella (star) is from Tanebrae (darkness). The opposites are pretty clearly intended here.

Accordo is Italian for Harmony, and it is modeled after Venice, an Italian city. It's probably intended to be a neutral country with no opposite side like the others.

Niflheim = Home of Mist
Solheim = Home of the Sun

Nordic word origins, probably suggesting they are an older part of the world. Also opposing naming conventions. Maybe Solheim is going to be the USA of XV - the "Sun" to all nations, and the greatest economic power in the world, with Niflheim living in its shadow within the mists. Like the cold realm of its namesake.

Pretty good insight. I think Solheim will turn out a bit different. Really the anticipation is killing me at this point.

Its red when he activates his sharigan....

haha lol. Never say this again.

Zoe

And regarding black-haired girl, someone mentioned elsewhere that she was Noctis' arranged bride from one of the other nations, but something happens to prevent the wedding. I can't imagine she'd be too happy with him in that case. I also don't know if that part is true, though. I've never seen any official confirmation.

Sounds like people making stuff up.

Voror

I think the final dungeon is going to be the Kingdom of the Dead that keeps getting mentioned in trailers and screenshots, honestly. I could see Stella's brother instigating or extending the war to get all the crystals so he can open Etro's Gate and take over the Kingdom. It's fairly clear that Noctis' rival will be Hood Guy, since Idola seems to be Regis' rival instead.

That would definitely make sense, though I'd be curious what the reasoning behind such an action would be. I just hope it's not some stupid "life is pain" reason where he wants to kill everyone to bring peace or something. But yeah, I'd be surprised too if Idola actually was the final boss of the game.

I bet the final boss has wings. :p

What if it didn't? Would that just floor everyone? Hell, what if it's just some normal sized enemy who is just super fast or something?

I don't know why people are thinking the "First Look GAMEPLAY" trailer is CG/pre-rendered. Someone telling me that it's CG and they are overlapping the HUD onto it. One, we see the HUD actually working in the gameplay trailer when the person is pressing buttons.

Two, if anything they could do better. It's good looking but it's not OMG good looking. Visual Works and SE are way better at CG then to do subpar CG in the Gamplay trailer.

This is CG:
Final-Fantasy-XV-27-610x400.jpg

This is not CG:
final-fantasy-xv-new-info.jpg

This is CG:
news_e3_final_fantasy_xv_trailers-14194.jpg

This is not CG:
256088-ass.jpg

This is not CG (But it is heavily scripted Gameplay):
ae2533a1d482d51da2bd69afe54cc62d.jpg

This is pre-rendered cutscene:
FINAL-FANTASY-XV-Battle-Gameplay-First-Look-E3-2013.jpg

Also note: the CG cutscenes will be in the game anyways so... yeah.

Really isn't that hard to tell gameplay, pre rendered cutscenes and gameplay apart.

Voror

Yeah, didn't they say the E3 trailer wasn't actual gameplay so much as a representation of what they want to do?

Erm. In the E3 trailer there definitely is "pre-rendered" gameplay parts.

Pre-rendered backgrounds maybe. But I have never heard someone use the term "pre-rendered gameplay".

Yeah, didn't they say the E3 trailer wasn't actual gameplay so much as a representation of what they want to do?

I believe Nomura said there was a lot of CG in the E3 Reveal Trailer (which is true). The gameplay in that trailer though and the gameplay in the subsequent "first look gameplay" trailer is actual in-game madness.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Pre-rendered backgrounds maybe. But I have never heard someone use the term "pre-rendered gameplay".

I believe Nomura said there was a lot of CG in the E3 Reveal Trailer (which is true). The gameplay in that trailer though and the gameplay in the subsequent "first look gameplay" trailer is actual in-game madness.

No... there's definitely parts where the characters are too.

injurai

Banned
I'd believe some of that gameplay is CGI. The animation was far too fluid and staged to actually look like desirable gameplay. Not enough control of the PC. Still looks hella fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom