• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

Squire

Banned
It'll do fine. I'm not pessimistic. It's a blockbuster game set for this year, with a relative lack of software competition and a huge marketing budget. It should hit 10M, barring any quality issues, easily.

Neither are most people in the thread. The idea this hits 10m is the take of the optimist.

A bit insane. The PS4 is where the bulk of the sales will be around 3 mil and xbox one around or near 1. I imagine the sales will be similar to mgs v on both platforms. Maybe 1 mil more over time.

Memento

If they do:
PS4, version
Xbox One version
Solid PC port with moddability
PS4K HD remake version
Xbox One.5 HD remake version
iOS version lol

... then they'll maybe do 5 mill.

Edit:
I thought of a better post; they are finally living in a fantasy world.
Ok not that good, nvm

Talk about pessimism...

zer0das

Banned
They don't see an official chapter since 1994 and jrpg's failed many times on Nintendo home console after Snes, so i don't think that a later port on NX could change anything..

If they wanted Final Fantasy, they've had nearly two decades to buy a Playstation. You really think there's going to be enough "starved" Nintendo fans to buy 1-3 million copies of the game with a later port? I assume 90% of the fanbase is already going to have purchased the game on PS4.

Cwarrior

This game will easly do 10 million it has 10 years worth of hype, fan boy tears,list wars,gaming event appearances and has been been in more most wanted gaming top 10 over past 10 years then most games.

Even if you don't like FF, gamers I can't buy this game to see what all the fuss is about.

if it doesn't the next 10 rerelease of this game will help it those numbers.

Aters

PC players aren't dedicated to the franchise either. Maybe near 1 mil at best.

FFXIII sells 500k on PC, four years after its release on console.

They will fail.

Tabata will leave Square Enix and found Digital Mind Walker.

Square Enix will be forced to merge with Atlus.

FFVII-2: Tifa and FFVII-3: Aerith will be announced simultaneously.

When did Atlus become relevant? It's a small company that is acquired by Sega. I know there's some serious love for Atlus on GAF, but this is just ridiculous. SE is too big to merge with anyone, and if FFXIV didn't kill it already, FFXV certainly won't.

FF XIII sold 7 million. If FF XV delivers in quality I can see that pushing it beyond the 10 million mark in it's lifetime. Not as impossible a task as some seem to think.

L Thammy

Ah, the Kingdoms of Amalur strategy. I hope it goes just as well for them.
But seriously I haven't been more interest in a FF since the PSX era

Banned
They won't get that being on PS4 and XB1 only, especially since the jrpgs market is mostly on ps4.

If they want to hit that they almost certaintly need to make PC, NX, and maybe even VR versions.

Walpurgis

Banned
The Witcher 3 was also released on more platforms.

FFXV is definitely coming to PC and that 10 million is the goal for LTD sales. With TW3 selling 6 million in six weeks and Arkham Knight also selling a lot in a short time, I know that FFXV will accomplish its goal. This isn't like the Tomb Raider situation.

Tabata said it's a life-span goal.
You think he doesn't know that game won't sell full price after years?

Doesn't change my point. You rather sell more copies and at a higher price point than selling less copies at a lower price point at that.

Market it as graphical showcase (DX12-4K) and it can do well. They will also do promotions like offering it with GFX cards.

Still less though. Let's be real, in these conditions, it'll be marketed with a press release at best, highliting how DX12 is amazing yadda yadda. It will never produce as much hype as the marketing material before release.

If they wait 4 years to do a port than obviously they adjusted for which is better or not so i can't say.

Of course you can say it. That was a rhetorical question. 500k to 1 million copies sold at 60 dollars is always better than 250k to 500k copies sold at 30 dollars or less.

FFXV is definitely coming to PC and that 10 million is the goal for LTD sales. With TW3 selling 6 million in six weeks and Arkham Knight also selling a lot in a short time, I know that FFXV will accomplish its goal. This isn't like the Tomb Raider situation.

That 10 million is the goal for LTD sales, but it doesn't mean it'll be easy. TW3 sold that well because of all platforms releasing at the same time. Which, may I recall you, 1.5 millions or so of these copies were PC. CDPR made the bet to have all versions releasing at the same time, it paid off.

Jonm1010

Banned
Putting aside whether they will sell 10 million units or not, there is no reason they should have to be selling 10 million.

Watching that conference yesterday and I couldn't stop thinking there is A LOT of unnecessary expenditures that really aren't doing much to move units but cost a good chunk of change.

For instance there is no need to be accumulating a cast of overpaid Hollywood voice actors. The Luminous engine has seemingly been a costly disaster. A bunch of animes that really aren't going to do much.

I know there is a logic on the part of S/E for doing all this, but it just doesnt seem to be a good logic.

JRPGs just don't pull those kind of numbers anymore and aren't all that mainstream unlike the late 90s, I really doubt it will reach that target.

Doesn't change my point. You rather sell more copies and at a higher price point than selling less copies at a lower price point at that.
But you were the one who said digital has better revenue. They can sell it for $40 and get the same revenue since PC is digital anyways :p

I mean $40 after 5-6 months along with PC exclusive features is very attractive price point. GTA V was $60 but that is another story.

Memento

JRPGs just don't pull those kind of numbers anymore and aren't all that mainstream unlike the late 90s, I really doubt it will reach that target.

Come on now. This is far from your traditional JRPG. We are not talking about Persona 5 here. Final Fantasy XV is essencially your AAA blockbuster: open world, great graphics, action oriented, setpieces-heavy, etc.

Wagram

Well I think it's time to face the music that a franchise I care very dearly for is on the way out. They aren't selling 10m especially considering the feedback of both demos.

MG310

Is this really a Tomb Raider/Hitman situation of overestimating the sales numbers?

Or is it just that after 10 years of development they NEED that 10 million.

I hope the game is incredible and I'm looking forward to playing it after what I have seen but that is a deep hole to climb out of.

But you were the one who said digital has better revenue. They can sell it for $40 and get the same revenue since PC is digital anyways :p

I mean $40 after 5-6 months along with PC exclusive features is very attractive price point. GTA V was $60 but that is another story.

Indeed. And 60 dollars digital produce greater revenue than 40 dollars. Especially since a late release 5 to 6 months later, even at 40 dollars, will never do as good as a 60 dollars day one release. Because of marketing. Unless SE do a new bigger marketing launch... and if the game ends up being fantastic.

We don't need to wait four years for a PC release this time that's for sure.

My point remains true though, even 6 months later, it will lower the sale potential.

I see it landing in the 4 to 5 million range no matter how good it is. Based on Square previous performances, it will probably will be a metacritic 7-8.

Come on now. This is far from your traditional JRPG. We are not talking about Persona 5 here. Final Fantasy XV is essencially your AAA blockbuster: open world, great graphics, action oriented, setpieces-heavy, etc.
With an art style that isn't very popular among western audiences.

Jonm1010

Banned

I know its what he said but is is likely more complicated then selling 10 million copies over the life of the game...Otherwise they REALLY haven't thought about things haha.

You could easily sell 10 million if they charged $10 a unit but it would get them to break even.

They likely have a financial forecast that they need X number of units to be sold at retail price or full cost digital and then they allocated another forecast assuming sales from the various price points they have strategized to drop the game's price to to at various points in the games life cycle. Missing their release month forecast could in fact screw them over even if they hit that 10 million eventually.

Given S/E's past unrealistic forecasts, I definitely have doubts that they are anchoring their expectations realistically.

Where did you get that info?

I don't think it's going to happen. Those are Fallout 4 type numbers, which is a game coming off of the Skyrim hype and decently successful predecessors. I think everyone's perception of Final Fantasy has been soiled by the 13 trilogy.

Aters

My point remains true though, even 6 months later, it will lower the sale potential.

Well, no one is arguing against it. Even if it sells two millions on PC, you can still make the argument that they could potentially sell more if they launch it earlier, and I'd agree with you.

daveo42

Banned
This might end up being another Spirits Within if it doesn't hit those sales figures. I'm expecting it'll do maybe half of that in lifetime sales. Unsurprised that 10mil is the "succeed" point based on the amount of time and money has been dropped into this game as well as its full-court press starting six months prior to launch.

Good luck SE. Hope FFXV is one of your best RPGs.

Top Bottom