• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
For comparison sell-in LTD of previous Final Fantasy games provided by Square Enix to CESA (in million of units):

Figures marked as "updated as 2014" are rounded to nearest 100K, the other ones to 10K.

eMuja0v.jpg

Wow @ Legend 8 outselling 9 by a huge margin!
F3D9owO.gif

And people tried to laugh when I pointed out that FF8 was the better game and the best in the series, more beloved and more popular than 9!

It's no wonder they went back to the iconic FF8 aesthestic with XV, they KNOW what the fanbase wants.

Clockwork5

That seems reasonable, but still a little on the high side for lifetime sales.

I wonder what effect the FF7 Remake will have on its mid-life sales, if any.

Kyne

F3D9owO.gif

And people tried to laugh when I pointed out that FF8 was the better game and the best in the series, more beloved and more popular than 9!

It's no wonder they went back to the iconic FF8 aesthestic with XV, they KNOW what the fanbase wants.

*laughs*

How can you be so sure. Anime is far reaching and this isn't the only marketing they'll be doing. This is building up the brand. A PC port is coming now matter what. I can't be mad at SE for putting thei muscle behind this.

It's not a matter of what, it's a matter of when. The longer they wait, the further the sale volume decrease and the price of each copies sold. No matter what, I doubt that anime as a whole will produce as much revenue, indirectly of course, as the PC version.

F3D9owO.gif

Jk right? 8 rode 7's success, and 9 paid for 8's sins.

Aters

I see. I was just thinking if that thing did ten, I could see square expecting it to translate. At this point, with this info, I'm confident saying they know its going to bomb.

???
You can't compare the sells of an MMORPG with sub fee with an offline games.
FFXI sells less than 3 million while FFXII sells 6 million.

I really wish them the best, but the only game they got that's gonna do Final Fantasy VII numbers is Final Fantasy VII.

At least Star Ocean and Nier will be out before they bankrupt themselves. I hope!

EDIT: Forgot Dragon Quest! They'll live. I still forget that they're Enix as well.

ryseing

Turn it into an Action RPG? Dunno, that's all I've got.

Semantics. I'm fully aware the game is an action-RPG. I'm referring to the tone and style of the game. Like Nirolak said the game feels stuck between two cultures. Not sure how you market that to the crowd I'm referring to.

Horp

If they do:
PS4, version
Xbox One version
Solid PC port with moddability
PS4K HD remake version
Xbox One.5 HD remake version
iOS version lol

... then they'll maybe do 5 mill.

Edit:
I thought of a better post; they are finally living in a fantasy world.
Ok not that good, nvm

Ravidrath

How can you be so sure. Anime is far reaching and this isn't the only marketing they'll be doing. This is building up the brand. A PC port is coming now matter what. I can't be mad at SE for putting thei muscle behind this.

I can't, of course. No one knows the future.

But given the stakes, surely you can understand why leaving the largest gaming audience out of your plan is at least risky, if not actively stupid?

As for "building up the brand," I would also argue that's exactly what a PC version would do more than anything.

PC players have been largely an afterthought to Square, so I think the best thing they could do for the FF brand is to get more PC players interested by giving them higher priority.

And you continually are missing the point that all this marketing would only be more effective if PC were in play at launch.

I am not "mad" at them for marketing it, I'm saying their priorities are wrong and actively limiting the effectiveness of said marketing.

I think it'll reach that if its a great game no doubt. No one expected Witcher 3 to do so well, but its a fantastic game.

Word of Mouth will give this game alot of traction if its great.

Aters

if it gets nothing but 10/10 reviews I can see it doing maybe 8 mil at the most in a year

8 million in a year will make SE laugh their ass off. Remember 10 million is their life-span goal. 6-7 million shipment in 2016 will suffice.

Also, those who think this game will have a meta score of 78-83 must be insane. FFXIII has meta score o 83, FFXIII-2 has meta score of 79. I doubt this game's quality will land somewhere between FFXIII and FFXIII-2.
Think about it, FFXIII-2, basically an out-sourced sequel that literally no one asked for with downgraded graphic and worse framerate than the first (which itself was already a huge disappointment) got 79. FFXV will get the same score? No way. My bet is slightly higher than 85. If Fallout 4 can make it with shitty graphic, frame freeze, tons of bugs and a huge step back in the writing department, FFXV can do it easily.

???
You can't compare the sells of an MMORPG with sub fee with an offline games.
FFXI sells less than 3 million while FFXII sells 6 million.

I'm saying I could see them doing that.
My point is, I think Square knows this isn't making 10 mil, and thats a good thing. Maybe they're ready for the hit, and we're not going to see a bunch of closed studios and cancelled games.

Pakkidis

Budgeting a game to sell 10 million over its lifetime seems rather risky given the previous sales of Final Fantasy. Seems like either bad management or overly optimistic outcomes.

Man, talk about putting all your eggs in one basket. Its really unreasonable to think that FFXV will be the entry to reach this milestone. If anything, FF is in a sales slump as a series thanks to the last few years of direction the series has had. As great as FFXV looks, and it does indeed look like a fantastic return to form for the series, it has a long ways to go to reach the public mindshare it used to enjoy back before FFXIII.

Kingdom Hearts as a series was on track to surpass FF in terms of sales before SE sidelined KH into a mobile franchise. Depending on how they leverage the Disney properties in KH3, I could foresee that game coming close to these numbers. But FFXV? It's gonna have to really deliver to stand a chance.

There is no way in hell KH3 comes close to 10 million after what the series has been through and has become (heck, KH1 is still the best selling game of the franchise by a mile and that shipped less than 6 million. Tho I have no doubt in my mind it will make more money. Probably made with a fraction of the budget XV has.

Serick

Married Member
What is their definition of successful?

I am a huge Final Fantasy fan (Pre-ordered the ultimate with overnight shipping and didn't look back) and don't think it can pull these numbers...

What is the number needed to break even? :\

This worries me greatly...

There is no way in hell KH3 comes close to 10 million. Tho I have no doubt in my mind it will make more money. Probably made with a fraction of the budget XV has.

Probably made in a fraction of time of XV development time too :")
Well, except if you consider it started in 2013 for real

KeRaSh

I'd like to believe XV can outsell Witcher 3 and MGSV but I'm not sure it will hit 10 million. It's very possible but it won't be easy.

Walpurgis

Banned
I think this is achievable if the game is received well. The Witcher 3 was only able to sell as much as it did because it is the greatest game of all time. If FFXV lives up to the hype and there isn't any large controversies, I think 10 million is guaranteed, especially with the brand (I think FFXIII sold 7 million....). If there are issues, they can always rerelease like they did with Tomb Raider.

Lofty expectations from Square Enix once again.

Good luck with that one guys, because you're going to need an incredibly effective marketing campaign to pull that one off.

I think this is achievable if the game is received well. The Witcher 3 was only able to sell as much as it did because it is the greatest game of all time. If FFXV lives up to the hype and there isn't any large controversies, I think 10 million is guaranteed, especially with the brand (I think FFXIII sold 7 million....). If there are issues, they can always rerelease like they did with Tomb Raider.

The Witcher 3 was also released on more platforms.

Kuraudo

Banned
By "successful" they probably mean to see if this method of delivery is still viable.

FFVIIR being expanded into multiple titles is probably a way to test another method of delivery. If XV doesn't hit 10 million units, I could see SE scrapping the idea of each mainline title being a self-contained story and instead move towards making preplanned trilogies which span an entire generation. Something like how the Mass Effect trilogy worked last gen, rather than the XIII trilogy where the last two titles were afterthoughts and lacked the polish of a mainline title.

23qwerty

FFXIII did over 7m with the awful word of mouth it had

All it takes is for this game to be pretty good and it should clear that pretty easily I'd imagine.
Not sure what the install base differences are at this point though.

F3D9owO.gif

VIII rode off the hype that was FFVII though.

Aters

I'm saying I could see them doing that.
My point is, I think Square knows this isn't making 10 mil, and thats a good thing. Maybe they're ready for the hit, and we're not going to see a bunch of closed studios and cancelled games.

They are already preparing for it by starting the FFVII remake.

DJChuy

Damn, it's doomed before it even came out. They should raise the quantity of the CE to a million to help them out. I kid.

I don't see this getting anywhere near 10 million.

I see it selling around 6.5 million, slightly better than FFXIII. I'm happy for those super pumped about this game, I unfortunately sorta lost my interest in Final Fantasy games after XIII, so I'm pretty skeptical this game is gonna connect with such a large audience due to the game being so drastically different from past entries.

ackl

By "successful" they probably mean to see if this method of delivery is still viable.

FFVIIR being expanded into multiple titles is probably a way to test another method of delivery. If XV doesn't hit 10 million units, I could see SE scrapping the idea of each mainline title being a self-contained story and instead move towards making preplanned trilogies which span an entire generation. Something like how the Mass Effect trilogy worked last gen, rather than the XIII trilogy where the last two titles were afterthoughts and lacked the polish of a mainline title.

heh. Nomura actually hinted that this is what he wanted to do with XV (recall "A world of the versus epic" tagline) but Tabata didn't like that.

Aters

FFXIII did over 7m with the awful word of mouth it had

All it takes is for this game to be pretty good and it should clear that pretty easily I'd imagine.
Not sure what the install base differences are at this point though.

PS4 is doing much better than PS3, XBOXONE is doing better than X360, we don't care about Nintendo in this case. Japan has a smaller userbase but it is somewhat remedied by the huge growth in Asia.

How many copies sell GTAV?

More than 30 million and is still kicking.

They will fail.

Tabata will leave Square Enix and found Digital Mind Walker.

Square Enix will be forced to merge with Atlus.

FFVII-2: Tifa and FFVII-3: Aerith will be announced simultaneously.

Top Bottom