• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI |OT| Ifrit Bleeds We Can Kill It

Are you playing in Quality or Performance mode?

• Quality

Votes: 274 59.8%
  • Performance

Votes: 184 40.2%

• Total voters
Great OT!

Just wrapped up a second playthrough of Witcher 3 and kind of not sure what to play next. Downloaded the demo and played 15 minutes this morning as work called.

Couple of questions for anyone playing. Is the exploration stuff more like Witcher 3 with large-ish open areas?

Secondly, is the story easy to follow?

nowhat

I'm not so far into the story that I can comment yet, but there's a brilliant feature. In any cutscene, you can pause it (which, for reasons that I can't understand, many games still don't allow). And then you can access "Active Time Lore". Basically, you can get short descriptions of who these people are in the scene, what the location is, and so on.

It's ingenious, and I'd like to see that implemented in other games as well.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

not sure I like the extreme on rails nature the game has displayed so far.
I just had the
next big Eikon fight with Garuda
and so far the game was just running from tiny arena room to tiny arena room. Feels really ...really... restricted I hope this opens up later on....

Croga

Played last night for a couple of hours after midnight, this is already living up to my expectations, and could be lining up to be one of my favourite games in years.

The game is super polished, visuals are incredible, music is unreal, story has me hooked and the voice acting is top tier stuff.

I've been media silent on this since the initial reveal trailer, played the demo to carry over my save, skipped the Eikonic battle stuff (didn't need to spoil any more after that fantastic prologue) and now I feel like that was definitely the best move, as I have no clue where this story is going.

I'll be going media silent again until I finish the game for fear of spoilers, so enjoy everyone, this is shaping up to be something special for sure!

SaniOYOYOY

let us rebind please its 2023.
the type b, the r1 r2 attack souls stlye binding doesnt work in character action game, and having dodge on r1 in the type a and c unlearns tons tons of O for dodge muscle memory

cormack12

Gold Member
Hip-Hop What GIF by T-Pain

What an OT mortal mortal

Go_Ly_Dow

Great OT!

Just wrapped up a second playthrough of Witcher 3 and kind of not sure what to play next. Downloaded the demo and played 15 minutes this morning as work called.

Couple of questions for anyone playing. Is the exploration stuff more like Witcher 3 with large-ish open areas?

Don't expect the Witcher levels of freedom, but expect a story/character driven game, that's more linear, but will have around 4 larger areas that will have exploration and then wide linear and some linear areas elsewhere. Emphasis on combat, music, boss encounters and high budget cutscenes too.

The story should be easy to follow as each FF game is standalone. Just read the synopsis in the OT and you'll be good to go!

PanzerCute

Great OT!

There are some "big" areas to explore, with some chests to find, some elite mobs to fight and some (simple) side quests to do yes.

But don't expect the exploration to be a big focus, take it more as a way to breathe between the batshit insane missions of the campaign, FF being a purely story driven series.

As for the story, it's very easy to follow yes: the lore can seem a bit overwhelming at first but the game does a good job explaining everything at the right time. Oh and let me tell you that the storytelling is ENGAGING AF. This game has such a flair to hype you in any circumstances, it's unbelievable.

After 16 hours, I can't even count the number of times I had goosebump or yelled at my screen a stupid sentence like "OMFG, IT IS SO FUCKING ON, BITCH!".

Absolutely exhilarating.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

(sorry : double post during the Neogaf server timeout, if a mod can delete it that would be nice)

Last edited:

Koenigssee

This game has crazy ass music + gameplay integration, the dynamic music in some occasions blew my socks off.

Top tier presentation too, this feels like a proper Final Fantasy of the future i envisaged while playing those old school FF decades ago.

It has some of those Squaresoft FF moments too idk how to describe.

The only things i dislike are oddly the modern streamlined menu and the victory fanfare screens lol

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Lazy devs really charging $70 for this? smh my head

YdNYukq.png

advqPke.jpg

This is the part where I have to point out that I'm joking, because I know how hard it is to tell obvious sarcasm on the internet.

Really though, it's a cute reference.
I still find RTX ON Orchestrion funny

Teslerum

This game has crazy ass music + gameplay integration, the dynamic music in some occasions blew my socks off.

Top tier presentation too, this feels like a proper Final Fantasy of the future i envisaged while playing those old school FF decades ago.

It has some of those Squaresoft FF moments too idk how to describe.

The only things i dislike are oddly the modern streamlined menu and the victory fanfare screens lol
Narratively this is VERY Final Fantasy so far. Forget the Game of Thrones BS.

Themes apply, Narrative Beats apply, its pretty much all there. Might be denser with references than even Final Fantasy IX as well (some things are straight up lifted).

I'm only a few hours in so that might change, but yeah. Very much enjoying it.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Quality mode is fantastic, looks sharp and you do get used to it (OLED)
But really wish we has a pro to play this at a locked 60.

I said it long before the game was released that I knew it would be my GOTY frontrunner and after a few hours it is absolutely *shattering* expectations. So damn many "holy shit!" moments already
Phoenix vs Ifrit blew my fucking mind!
, the god damn cutscenes, glory glory! The grandiose, sweeping soundtrack, good God almighty! The rapturous story, man oh man, this is going to be one hell of a ride!

So happy I kept my 1 year media blackout, everything is a surprise and it's delivering ALL the goods. One thing though, give me a rock solid 60fps in perf mode Square, the intense combat deserves no less!

Quality mode is fantastic, looks sharp and you do get used to it (OLED)
But really wish we has a pro to play this at a locked 60.
I’m surprised at how well OLED is handling this 30fps. Usually, 30fps looks like a slideshow due to the near-zero pixel response. I guess the motion blur is helping.

TrebleShot

I’m surprised at how well OLED is handling this 30fps. Usually, 30fps looks like a slideshow due to the near-zero pixel response. I guess the motion blur is helping.
Yeah , also took the DF advice of not even looking at the perf mode.
There is a hack to play the game at 60 and not get horrible IQ and that's to play it via remote play.

Asked in the demo thread but guess most people are here now. Does the carry over save just work?
Just make sure (if you haven't already started) to select your demo clear save from the "Load Save" option, if you just chose continue it might not carry over. That's what I had to do because I was playing different parts of the demo after I completed it, so selecting "continue" only took me to my most recent autosave and not the actual "demo clear data" save.

Last edited:

Koenigssee

So, is basically:
People playing the game: “This F/-)/**n game is so good
People not having a PS5: “Crappy console game doing 30fps and 720p”

Right??

I got my copy today with the Steelbook, this will be my first day one FF and my first FF.
Shitty framerates has been a Final Fantasy tradition for so long that the fans couldn't care less as long as the game is good IMO.

Sethbacca

Couldn't sleep so was up early playing before work. Got through the prologue and holy shit that was amazing. Now i've got to suffer through work before I can play again later. Happy I went in blind without playing the demo though, this shit is soooooo epic. The gameplay itself may be kind of standard RPG fare, but the scope and epicness of the battles is easily the most next gen thing I've played on my PS5 so far.

Just make sure (if you haven't already started) to select your demo clear save from the "Load Save" option, if you just chose continue it might not carry over. That's what I had to do because I was playing different parts of the demo after I completed it, so selecting "continue" only took me to my most recent autosave and not the actual "demo clear data" save.
Thanks i'll make sure to do that

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
10 hours deep in this one, it's super influenced by XIV it's not even funny, like having multiple deja vus hitting all at once :messenger_hushed:.

Warriors of Light we eatin GOOD on this glorious day.
I love how the game's combat really includes elements from XIV, like how enemy AOE and the attack patterns are shown as lines, just like the MMORPG. So good.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hell yeah it's here! I took today and friday off from work so it's not wasted!
The map is actually cloth (and stinks!!!)
The steelbook is really nice with 3d embossed art

e5ytXUa.jpg

qsasdFv.jpg

Here it is next to Forspoken steelbook to trigger fools who don't know what a good game is
uZW9KDA.jpg

Top Bottom