• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI |OT| Ifrit Bleeds We Can Kill It

Are you playing in Quality or Performance mode?

• Quality

Votes: 273 59.7%
  • Performance

Votes: 184 40.3%

• Total voters

Minsc

Gold Member
2 installments of DLCs according to Yoshi-P.

PC version officially in deveplopment too.

Yay, but also I feel like I totally can predict the pacing of the DLC based on the main game haha. 1-2 epic cinematic bosses and a shitload of mobs? I guess I'll have to see if it's worth buying or just youtube it.

Fbh

The dungeons and optional areas were a huge miss. I googled the hunts because I thought there would be something interesting like a super boss or Omega. I was disappointed to see what they had. I finished it and uninstalled it. It’s one of my least favorite mainline games. I had more fun with XVI than XIII, but that’s about it. There was some mystery to the extra bosses and places to go in the old games. This one was like one big MMO town with MMO tags on their heads.

Yeah, at first I took the time to fully explore every location but I soon realized there's basically no reason to not head straight for the waypoint.
Even if you stumble on a small optional area there's usually nothing to do there until a side quest sends you there.

The hunts are the best side content, and at least the final batch of S tier enemies give you the materials to craft the best gear (not that it makes a difference with how easy the game is), but I was disappointed it doesn't lead into big superboss or final optional challenge

Minsc

Gold Member
hope they take note of player feedback to as base for DLC development.

I feel like taking in player feedback which alters the flow of the base game or drastically improves the crafting/weapon selection or level design would be admitting the original is faulty and they won't ever do that, not until FFXVII comes out in another 10 years.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
2 DLC's in the making, uh? Interesting, although I instantly uninstalled the game as soon as I was finished with it.

Not replaying it anytime soon.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well one good thing the DLCs have going for them is they likely won't be as bloated or with as much filler. A shorter, concise 10-15 hour DLC is going to be a lot more fun in this game's format than a 50 hour repetitive slog fake-RPG.

mortal

Gold Member
A good listen for anyone that's finished the game.

Nice. Yea, I’m in the long form analysis phase myself. Had a lot of time away to reflect on my experience with the game.
Curious how this entry will viewed on in a decade, or the XVI DNA that potentially makes its way into future entries, even in the smallest ways.

I’m pleased they went full tilt action game for this one, rather than half committing with a hybrid design in an attempt to please everyone.
It’s certainly a move that didn’t work for everyone, but I respect the risk taken.

Besides, CBU1 have been exploring a hybrid battle system with the FFVII Remake trilogy, so it’s cool having another vision of Final Fantasy alongside it.

DelireMan7

So I finally beat it !

Well... Some good thing and quite some bad thing for me.

From a Final Fantasy it has the world, lore and story. But on the gameplay part, they remove almost everything.
No RPG elements (no passive abilities on weapons or armor so no real choice), no elemental weakness/resistance (what the point of "changing your magick essence" when changing Eikons abilities ?), no secret/mysterious sidequest, no minigames, no Biggs and Wedge (?!, they're somehow there at the beginning but not named like that xD)...

It's pretty much a onrail action game (nothing bad about this but for a FF I am not a fan) with stunning visuals on cutscenes. But it has big pacing issue. Each time the story reach a peak (Eikons battle usually), the following hours are sidequests disguised as "main quest".

The game would have gain to be more condensed. Toward the end I stopped doing sidequests because they take too much time and are not interesting to do evenso they contribute quite a bit to the world building. For the majority of the game there was always 3-4 to do at the same time but suddenly there was dozen of them to do, it just broke me.

Combat system is nice and I am not a defender of "FF should be turn based" but on the long run it becomes really repetitive and really shallow. Boss (and notably the hunts) are too spongy. I just couldn't stand them toward the end. They are not challenging, just spongy. I still timed my dodge and counter abilities but honestly not too much point to do so...

Also visuals and particles effects... It's pretty nice to look at and for the most part I was amazed till on some the the late games battles it becomes overkill... It made the action to be really difficult to read on some battles.

I liked the story but all the cons of the game made me less involved into it. I think the ending could have get me emotional if I was not so tired of all the other game aspect...

Side note : I also played it in a particular personal situation so it might have affect my appreciation of the game. I might replay it in few years.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So i just did the big Bahumut battle last night and saw the reunion of Clive and youknowwho and the story bits about Clives mom.....

How much farther do i have to go in the main story?

sncvsrtoip

Finished it but what a long game, I didnt do almost any optional missions and still near 40h o_O Not a big fan of ff series. Played ff8 years ago and finished ff7remake but didnt enjoy 7r much, dialogs where terrible, narration realy bad for person that didnt play original and graphics usualy meh because of low textures (tough great in cutscenes). So comparing to ff7r ff16 is big improvement with much better dialogs, more mature characters and more even graphics (tough also has great moments and below avarage). Its 8/10 for me, could be paced better and didnt enjoyed much gameplay while in ikon form.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm assuming the DLC will come out around next summer...
Most likely after the PC base game right? Or do you think the PC version will be a "Royal Edition" like FF15 and come with the DLC?

MAtgS

Finished it but what a long game, I didnt do almost any optional missions and still near 40h o_O Not a big fan of ff series. Played ff8 years ago and finished ff7remake but didnt enjoy 7r much, dialogs where terrible, narration realy bad for person that didnt play original and graphics usualy meh because of low textures (tough great in cutscenes). So comparing to ff7r ff16 is big improvement with much better dialogs, more mature characters and more even graphics (tough also has great moments and below avarage). Its 8/10 for me, could be paced better and didnt enjoyed much gameplay while in ikon form.
I just finished it last night and it over 80 hours for me. Wasn't even trying to be a completionist, and started skipping the side quest cutscenes after a while and somehow it took me twice as long as everyone else it seems.

buenoblue

Just got the game. I thought the performance might be fixed by now but nope. Performance mode is unplayable for me it's so erratic even with vrr. Played the first boss fight after the castle burns down and the fps even in graphics mode felt like it dropped below 10fps at times. Not sure if I want to play a game in this state.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just got the game. I thought the performance might be fixed by now but nope. Performance mode is unplayable for me it's so erratic even with vrr. Played the first boss fight after the castle burns down and the fps even in graphics mode felt like it dropped below 10fps at times. Not sure if I want to play a game in this state.
Quality mode is how DF recommended playing saying 99% of the time the game is locked to 30fps with some minor dips here and there but nothing major. Also much higher res, higher quality shadows and less pop in.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Performance in quality mode is good for the majority of the game but yes it can drop very low primarily during some big boss battles. That battle you’re referring to has terrible performance. Most of the game isn’t like that but you may see it again when fighting other bosses (I can’t really remember if it happens at other times as well).

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm curious if the patched motion blur will help when the DLC comes around, because quality mode + super fast response times on your display just made all the graphics look like soup to me with the crazy high motion blur.

I had to use performance mode (which doesn't suffer from the motion blur nearly as bad), because all the objects on the screen blurred in to a giant mess of nothing in quality mode, I'm really not sure how any one can enjoy it, but I can just chalk it up to have different TV specs.

Sad to see a $70 game run so poorly though.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Not sure about your settings and TV but this was the first 30fps game that didn’t look or feel 30fps and ran like butter.

Make sure on ps5 settings you have VRR set to on even if not supported. For your TV make sure it’s using “game” channel HDMI.

In game just turn off motion blur and use a quality mode.

Game looks and runs superb . Hope this helps.

buenoblue

Not sure about your settings and TV but this was the first 30fps game that didn’t look or feel 30fps and ran like butter.

Make sure on ps5 settings you have VRR set to on even if not supported. For your TV make sure it’s using “game” channel HDMI.

I have a Samsung 65 QD OLED so the tv is not the problem. It is what it is I guess. Game does look nice at times but is very uneven. I have just come from spider man 2 witch is a visual masterpiece and runs great, it's just a shame that other studios can't get the same out of the PS5.

Its just frustrating I wish devs would set a performance target then build the game to fit that envelope. The performance mode in ff16 is simply not acceptable.

Minsc

Gold Member
I have a Samsung 65 QD OLED so the tv is not the problem. It is what it is I guess. Game does look nice at times but is very uneven. I have just come from spider man 2 witch is a visual masterpiece and runs great, it's just a shame that other studios can't get the same out of the PS5.

Its just frustrating I wish devs would set a performance target then build the game to fit that envelope. The performance mode in ff16 is simply not acceptable.

I have a Q90T and I played this before the blur was removed, and it was a nightmare. So I believe you 100%, motion is not very smooth at all in this game.

I actually do think the TV is the problem though, the ultra-low response time of OLED makes the framerate very noticeable where other higher response time TVs will create a free motion blur and blend the frames into each other making a smoother look to the motion, and appearing almost higher framerate.

I can watch a youtube lets play video with recorded gameplay on my OLED laptop screen at 60fps, and then on the LCD iPad screen at 60fps and the video looks a ton smoother on the iPad simply because of how much slower the frames are refreshing. But the colors look so much better on the OLED.

buenoblue

Yes I understand what your saying, but this game drops to a slide show in the boss battles in the 30fps mode. Like 5-6 fps at times. And the performance mode is up and down from 40-60 constantly. And on top of all this the general presentation is very blurry. This is tv agnostic the game is a mess. Do you think it runs and looks like a PS5 game should?

And given it's focus on being an action game now this is disappointing. It's hard to track what's even going on in battles.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I have the same TV and had no real problems in quality mode.

IMO FFXVI looks better than Spiderman 2, at least in the parts where it shines the most.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Play in quality mode 100%.
Leave motion blur at default 5. That's how I've played.
it's one of better playing 30fps games this gen.

Yes. the castle explosion drops to like 5 fps. it's one of very few drops.
It's just a cutscene too. Relax man

buenoblue

Yeah I am enjoying the game, I've played like 7 hours straight lol. Just got used to performance modes locked at 60 fps and PC I guess. Final fantasy 15 was the same on PS4 pro. I love ff15 on ps5 locked at 60 fps. I would rather have 1080p lower settings and a locked 60. Should be doable on a PS5 🤷‍♂️

Go_Ly_Dow

Ifrit Garuda battle 😮. Son of a bitch, I'm in 😎
Clive be like
Girl Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Arsic

What a weird year. Thinking back on this game since this thread got brought back up and… even by my standards it is not the “best” game this year, but shit if at times I don’t say to myself it has an experience that sticks with me.

All of the boss fights are 10/10 epic unforgettable moments. Loved the story and main characters.

It’s just a shame combat is so easy, and there’s nothing challenging in the game, or worth exploring. So much missed opportunities for gameplay.

I've bought 15 games at launch this year, finished 13 of them (still playing through AW2 and Spider-Man 2), some plat'd. This has been a banner year for videogames across the board, the quality and *quantity* of releases has been exceptional, we have been eating very well indeed.

FFXVI is *still* my number 2 game of 2023 (AC6 is my GOTY, nothing else coming out in Nov/Dec will touch it). No other game this year had me audibly reacting to the spectacle I was witnessing on screen on multiple occasions. Whatever flaws this game has (and I've made my criticisms abundantly clear) they pale in comparison to it's extraordinary highs. Final Fantasy for life ⚔️

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've bought 15 games at launch this year, finished 13 of them (still playing through AW2 and Spider-Man 2), some plat'd. This has been a banner year for videogames across the board, the quality and *quantity* of releases has been exceptional, we have been eating very well indeed.

FFXVI is *still* my number 2 game of 2023 (AC6 is my GOTY, nothing else coming out in Nov/Dec will touch it). No other game this year had me audibly reacting to the spectacle I was witnessing on screen on multiple occasions. Whatever flaws this game has (and I've made my criticisms abundantly clear) they pale in comparison to it's extraordinary highs. Final Fantasy for life ⚔️
bromance-sig-curtis.gif

EXACTLY the same, to this day I still LOVED FFXVI. If it wasn't for AC6, this game would have been my GOTY.

Arsic

bromance-sig-curtis.gif

EXACTLY the same, to this day I still LOVED FFXVI. If it wasn't for AC6, this game would have been my GOTY.

AC6 was my GOTY but Alan wake 2 took that crown .

Year at this point for me is :
AW2
AC6
Lies of P/FFXVI
Spider-Man 2
RE4 Remake

Phantom liberty is dlc but that would shake this list up a lot if I included it.

IAmRei

me too, i'm not fps guy, but i see the 30 is different as well, i can't explain more, i reduce the motion blur to 1, it works for me.

I'm sure this has been covered, but I'm not about to read 83 pages when I haven't finished it yet... (Given that there is no play clock I can't say how long I've played)

But WTF is up with the Clive VO? The inconsistency is driving me nuts.

ikbalCO

I bought this game on black firdaysale recently and have been playing ever since.

Only 5 hours in but my god, from start to the title screen, the opening section of this game has to be one of the greatest in gaming.

It is so dramatic and shocking not in a shallow, anime way but in a very mature game of thronesy way.

If you read the original Dune, opening is quite similar to that but faster and with more intrigue.

Loved it.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Opening is still the best part of the game sadly. Btw I really hope with "DLCs" they mean meaty expansions a la Heavensward, Stormblood ect. adapter to a single player JRPG. That would be awesome!

Hugare

I bought this game on black firdaysale recently and have been playing ever since.

Only 5 hours in but my god, from start to the title screen, the opening section of this game has to be one of the greatest in gaming.

It is so dramatic and shocking not in a shallow, anime way but in a very mature game of thronesy way.

If you read the original Dune, opening is quite similar to that but faster and with more intrigue.

Loved it.
Unfortunately, the game takes a nose dive some hours later

The other 2/3 of the game is nothing like the opening hours

It's the worst bait and switch that I've experienced in a game in a very long time

The first 1/3 is amazing, tho. GOTY material.

ikbalCO

Unfortunately, the game takes a nose dive some hours later

The other 2/3 of the game is nothing like the opening hours

It's the worst bait and switch that I've experienced in a game in a very long time

The first 1/3 is amazing, tho. GOTY material.
Damn it.

I was really suprised after playing the opening and think of how it was maybe snubbed for a goty award.

Them not being able to keep the quality up is so disaponting since everything they need for a perfect story is there in the opening.

Well, nothing to do now except to see it through cuz i am already hooked.

Damn it.

I was really suprised after playing the opening and think of how it was maybe snubbed for a goty award.

Them not being able to keep the quality up is so disaponting since everything they need for a perfect story is there in the opening.

Well, nothing to do now except to see it through cuz i am already hooked.

Pro-tip: play through the game and come to your own conclusions instead of taking some random GAF members word (that includes me) as gospel. The first 10 hours of FFXVI might be the greatest in gaming history, absolutely spectacular top to bottom.

Can it keep that benchmark throughout? No. Does it have myriad issues? Yes. Is it still my number 2 game of 2023? Absolutely. I say this as someone who bought and completed 15 games at launch this year, FFXVI beats the likes of Spider-Man 2, Alan Wake 2, Hogwarts, RE4, Remnant 2, Diablo 4, Street Fighter 6 and more on my personal GOTY list, see it through to the end and then decide for yourself where it falls on yours 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom