• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI |OT| Ifrit Bleeds We Can Kill It

Are you playing in Quality or Performance mode?

• Quality

Votes: 273 59.7%
  • Performance

Votes: 184 40.3%

• Total voters

Hugare

Damn it.

I was really suprised after playing the opening and think of how it was maybe snubbed for a goty award.

Them not being able to keep the quality up is so disaponting since everything they need for a perfect story is there in the opening.

Well, nothing to do now except to see it through cuz i am already hooked.
Yeah, as TheDarkPhantom TheDarkPhantom said, come to your own conclusions

Just expressed my thoughts 'cause I felt the same thing at first and well, this is a game discussion forum

The quality takes a nose dive, but it's 100% worth to play through all of it.

This game has some of the best setpieces in gaming (and some of the most boring quests ever to counter balance them). Very inconsistent.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Avoiding writing open spoilers here as lots of new people buying the game with the black friday discounts, but all I say is there becomes a shift in plot focus from
political/revenge Game of Thrones kinda vibe to a more biblical story touching upon the divine, free will etc...
and some didn't like that shift in focus, whilst some like me enjoyed the latter more so or liked that the story wasn't all just about the former. I prefer stories emphasising mystery and divinity, so it grabbed me in from start to finish.

Last edited:
I think it's just the case that the story got butchered to hell.

One other weird issue with the VO is the (thankfully small) amount of dialogue that doesn't have voices. Now that is not that unusual but the ones where the speaker says a couple words and stops is very jarring.

EDMIX

bromance-sig-curtis.gif

EXACTLY the same, to this day I still LOVED FFXVI. If it wasn't for AC6, this game would have been my GOTY.

Wow really? I'm a bit surprised.

I didn't hate it, but felt better FF titles came out, I like the story better then most FF titles tbh, but it was a once over for me. I felt it didn't need to be 60 hours plus long, but a solid FF title nonetheless. I don't have it in my GOTY list though, but we got some solid ass games this year.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wow really? I'm a bit surprised.

I didn't hate it, but felt better FF titles came out, I like the story better then most FF titles tbh, but it was a once over for me. I felt it didn't need to be 60 hours plus long, but a solid FF title nonetheless. I don't have it in my GOTY list though, but we got some solid ass games this year.
I personally really liked and even played it twice, its not perfect but I still LOVED combat and story.

EDMIX

I personally really liked and even played it twice, its not perfect but I still LOVED combat and story.

Truth. The combat felt really good and the story, I personally like better then FFXV story. I think the concept in FFXV is great, but it matters not if the execution isn't there.

Dan felt that story book in the end in his SOUL! lol

1*lqVpfvgXzfy_Qe9LSr7Jzg.png

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Jesus Christ, people dont like brandeds.

This game has so’e of the most insane side quest ever. At first you are like why am i even doing this mission and then its all like wtf!?

ikbalCO

i havent watched the dlc trailer yet since i havent finished the game yet. I am 25 hours in which means half way? will i be spoiled watching the trailer?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol I can't believe how accurate this is. (spoilers)
Summarizes whole game awesome with it's awesome music. The parts with sidequests lol

Part 1 is also good lol

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Anyone played the DLC? Is it story expansion or just a new mode? Wasnt quite clear to me

Also whats the discount if you buy the season pass?

The current DLC is up for $13 but the season pass is like $33 so I guess the Leviathan expansion will be $25-30 on its own.

Dazraell

Anyone played the DLC? Is it story expansion or just a new mode? Wasnt quite clear to me

Also whats the discount if you buy the season pass?

The current DLC is up for $13 but the season pass is like $33 so I guess the Leviathan expansion will be $25-30 on its own.

I saw some impressions saying that first DLC is supposedly relatively short, has about 3 to 3,5 hours of content and add some new areas, boss fights, etc

Danjin44

I saw some impressions saying that first DLC is supposedly relatively short, has about 3 to 3,5 hours of content and add some new areas, boss fights, etc
If thats the case then I might as well wait for the second DLC to drop and just do another playthrough of entire game and with two DLCs.

Last edited:

Dazraell

If thats the case then I might as well wait for the second DLC to drop and just do another playthrough of entire game and with two DLCs.
Yeah, it sounds a bit lackluster based on what I've read. That being said, I'm planning to play it later this weekend, will share my impressions here when I finish

Zuzu

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Beat the dlc and it’s exactly what I thought it would be. A short side story spanning a few hours into an extra dungeon with bosses.

The final boss in there IMO is the only hard boss in the whole game offering. I used all of my heal items to get it done. Sure I didn’t die but it had me sweating at the end.

Fantastic dlc worth the $10. Let’s me enjoy my time with Clive a little more. It adds a bit more to the overall lore of why the big bad of the main game be doing what he doing, and what previous generations of humanity had been up to.

Really stoked for the second dlc though l. Leviathan the Lost gonna be hype!

Go_Ly_Dow

Here's a review of the new DLC by Push Square:

Mini Review: Final Fantasy XVI: Echoes of the Fallen (PS5) - A Short But Explosive Dungeon Run

Takes about 3-4hrs to complete. Here's the summary at the bottom of the review:

oDxaf2g.png

Considering the craziness of the main game's bosses, that last sentence might make it worth the price for that experience alone! (Quote: "...it might just feature the most insane boss encounter in the entire game, if you can believe it.")
That sounds good to me. I got the dual pack. (y)

Dazraell

I've played it. For convenience sake I'll hide my impressions under spoilers if anyone prefers to go completely blind, but I won't include any spoilers whatsoever

Overall, I would rate it 6/10. I much preferred Yuffie's DLC to FFVII Remake. It's basically more of the same and it doesn't really add anything new or try to do something interesting with the story and gameplay

DLC has about 3,5 hours of new content and is expanding a lore about the Fallen. Overall, it has a similar quality and production values as main quests, with all their perks and flaws. The story is set very late in the game. The initial segment uses some of the familiar locations, but majority of this DLC takes place in a brand new location which is really well designed. There are some collectables and new weapons (more powerful than ones you get at the end of the game), but no new side quests and the like as main area is very linear

I really liked the bosses. They felt a bit more challenging than fights from the main game. The final boss was insane. I wouldn't call it as the best in the game, but was definitely fun, different and had that level of bonkers that we already got to expect with FFXVI's bosses

Last edited:

Danjin44

I've played it. For convenience sake I'll hide my impressions under spoilers if anyone prefers to go completely blind, but I won't include any spoilers whatsoever

Overall, I would rate it 6/10. I much preferred Yuffie's DLC to FFVII Remake. It's basically more of the same and it doesn't really add anything new or try to do something interesting with the story and gameplay

DLC has about 3,5 hours of new content and is expanding a lore about the Fallen. Overall, it has a similar quality and production values as main quests, with all their perks and flaws. The story is set very late in the game. The initial segment uses some of the familiar locations, but majority of this DLC takes place in a brand new location which is really well designed. There are some collectables and new weapons (more powerful than ones you get at the end of the game), but no new side quests and the like as main area is very linear

I really liked the bosses. They felt a bit more challenging than fights from the main game. The final boss was insane. I wouldn't call it as the best in the game, but was definitely fun, different and had that level of bonkers that we already got to expect with FFXVI's bosses
I’m interested playing it but after 2nd DLC drops so I can play all them together.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finished the DLC Echoes of the Fallen yesterday in one sit, standard difficulty, and to my surprise was very much worth all of it. Usually this type of DLC released so “soon” after launch feels rushed and fillers but there’s worthy quality here all over it. The FF14 team excels at telling short stories and here they prove it again. It’s a 3 hrs short journey with all the right beats plus an awesome dungeon, new character, fantastic bosses and new mechanics. It feels exactly like a 14’s mid patch release. I really enjoyed it and definitely gonna replay it hard mode too. Now if only they could keep releasing content like this every six months for years… perfect format if you ask me which could go on for long but unfortunately it seems it’ll stop after The Rising Tide. Too bad. Now I’m really hyped about next spring release!

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Finished the DLC Echoes of the Fallen yesterday in one sit, standard difficulty, and to my surprise was very much worth all of it. Usually this type of DLC released so “soon” after launch feels rushed and fillers but there’s worthy quality here all over it. The FF14 team excels at telling short stories and here they prove it again. It’s a 3 hrs short journey with all the right beats plus an awesome dungeon, new character, fantastic bosses and new mechanics. It feels exactly like a 14’s mid patch release. I really enjoyed it and definitely gonna replay it hard mode too. Now if only they could keep releasing content like this every six months for year… perfect format if you ask me but unfortunately it seems it’ll stop after The Rising Tide. Too bad.
Sounds good, I'll be playin the dlc soon.

ikbalCO

I finally beat it. Clocked in around 55 hours.

All i have to say is, wow. What a journey it was.

In a packed year like this, i do not hesitate to say yes, ff xvi is my goty. It may not be the best game of the year overall but its the game with the most goat moments ever in a game for the last decade?

One thing i dont understand is, why are some people complain about the ending since i found it pretty fulfilling and final.

Go_Ly_Dow

I finally beat it. Clocked in around 55 hours.

All i have to say is, wow. What a journey it was.

In a packed year like this, i do not hesitate to say yes, ff xvi is my goty. It may not be the best game of the year overall but its the game with the most goat moments ever in a game for the last decade?

One thing i dont understand is, why are some people complain about the ending since i found it pretty fulfilling and final.
The ending is beautiful.
Ultima's haunting last words and the sacrifice of all 3 boys to create a better world. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Man, I really want to play this but...it's friggin impossible due to its technical shortcomings.

The fluctuations in framerate in perf.mode are terrible and on quality mode, on an OLED is just nope even taking into account the TONS of motion blur the game has.
It's one of the most flawed AAA games out there tech-wise.

I'm going to play this either on a PS5 pro or a PS6

Madflavor

I didn’t like the ending because a good ambiguous ending would have enough evidence and clues to support multiple theories and interpretations, whereas with XVI’s ending, there’s an overwhelming amount of evidence that
Clive lived, to the point where it’s questionable why the writer just didn’t give a straightforward ending. It feels like the intention was for Clive to live,
but they wanted the ending to come across as “deep” so they left it ambiguous.

Whitecrow

Banned
Man, I really want to play this but...it's friggin impossible due to its technical shortcomings.

The fluctuations in framerate in perf.mode are terrible and on quality mode, on an OLED is just nope even taking into account the TONS of motion blur the game has.

I almost beat the game 3 times. In an LG C9. The game definitely has issues... but you are being completely hyperbolic there.
In any case, if you are THAT sensitive, is not the game's problem.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I almost beat the game 3 times. In an LG C9. The game definitely has issues... but you are being completely hyperbolic there.
In any case, if you are THAT sensitive, is not the game's problem.

Crow, hyperbolic or not, I really can't play 30fps games anymore brother since I got my C2 due to the OLED judder, it's that bad for me...
Take into account that this game has an incredible amount of motion blur on quality mode and...it feels.like you're wading through molasses.

I love my C2 but unfortunately, I just can't do 30fps anymore due to the OLED instant response time.

Cheers

Minsc

Gold Member

It's crazy I paid $75 for this game and it runs this poorly. Meanwhile, IMO Tales of Arise which has over the top combat animations almost as crazy as this runs at an almost perfect 60fps, and just is so much more enjoyable to control at 60fps.

It still annoys me they released this at 30fps and at 20-45fps. That said, even now, with the ability to lower motion blur, I still like the inkling of higher framerate you get from performance even if it clearly is not 60fps.

Playing the Tales DLC and IMO that game looks better just because it can actually hold 60fps.

This game definitely will enjoy the PS5 Pro, but unfortunately the DLC for it is going to be over before PS5 even releases. Oh well.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Crow, hyperbolic or not, I really can't play 30fps games anymore brother since I got my C2 due to the OLED judder, it's that bad for me...
Take into account that this game has an incredible amount of motion blur on quality mode and...it feels.like you're wading through molasses.

I love my C2 but unfortunately, I just can't do 30fps anymore due to the OLED instant response time.

Cheers

You can turn off the motion blur now though, but it still looks bad IMO. I think there's supposed to be some sort of mode on the TVs you can enable where it turns the motion smoother, like it converts it to feel 60fps. I've seen people use it on TVs with Switch games and it's pretty convincing. I tried messing around a little, but ultimately I don't care that much, I will just endlessly bitch about it until PS5 Pro comes out haha.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
You can turn off the motion blur now though, but it still looks bad IMO. I think there's supposed to be some sort of mode on the TVs you can enable where it turns the motion smoother, like it converts it to feel 60fps. I've seen people use it on TVs with Switch games and it's pretty convincing. I tried messing around a little, but ultimately I don't care that much, I will just endlessly bitch about it until PS5 Pro comes out haha.

Tried motion smoothing/interpolation already and there's lots of artifacting, plus, the frame rate is so inconsistent that...it doesn't help much in the end man - and let's not forget that to be able to enable interpolation you also have to turn off VRR, 120Hz AND game mode from the console's settings, In the end, it's a ball-ache...

Problem is, no matter how you cut it, 30 FPS is just terrible on OLED, every, and I do mean every game that I've tried is a stuttery, juddery mess...

Cheers

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm finally playing the DLC and loving it. The art direction, visuals, music and boss battles are all top notch. The extra details about the
fallen
also adds a lot of the lore built around them. Can't wait for the final Leviathan DLC which looks even more substantial.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, the DLC was a good improvement from the main game.

The performance still sucks though. This game needs the PS5 Pro bad.

Go_Ly_Dow

This fucking slaps.
I gotta play the dlc. Is it very hard? I am not level 50 with my finished save
I found it harder than the main game, but at level 50 you should be fine. The art direction is top notch.

Slap in a good pair of headphones and enjoy.

Minsc

Gold Member
This fucking slaps.
I gotta play the dlc. Is it very hard? I am not level 50 with my finished save

The guide I looked at (not that you need a guide since the game is just auto-pilot anyway) rated it a 3/10 w/ the cheats and a 5/10 for difficulty w/o any auto accessories.

Go_Ly_Dow

This is pretty great.
Shuhei Yoshida chats with FINAL FANTASY XVI Producer Naoki Yoshida. Together they discuss his career and what led to him helping relaunch FINAL FANTASY XIV and eventually producing the newest entry in the series; the key decisions they made with FINAL FANTASY XVI with their approach to story and gameplay; how they navigated the pandemic and how it impacted development; and his thoughts on what young game developers looking to break into the industry can do to prepare themselves.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I hope we can get the PC version in the first half of the year but I'll be glad just to finally have a release date known.
I'm waiting on that before buying any of the DLC.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Zuzu

I decided to play through the first DLC (Echoes of the Fallen) tonight. It was really enjoyable and the last boss is fantastic (he killed me a few times as well - love the extra challenge this boss offered!). I recommend it if you want a short but fun foray back into this world with a story that gives a bit more lore regarding the fallen. I'm looking forward to the bigger DLC coming out in a few months.

Also I was amazed again by how good this game looks. Gorgeous.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I decided to play through the first DLC (Echoes of the Fallen) tonight. It was really enjoyable and the last boss is fantastic (he killed me a few times as well - love the extra challenge this boss offered!). I recommend it if you want a short but fun foray back into this world with a story that gives a bit more lore regarding the fallen. I'm looking forward to the bigger DLC coming out in a few months.

Also I was amazed again by how good this game looks. Gorgeous.

Same I loved EotF. Bring on the next one!

Top Bottom