• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Rozart

Elise/Odin's support is really cute. It's a pity that Odin is so weak. He can't take a hit and he doesn't really hit very hard either.

I'm on the chapter in Birthright with
Keaton and the Wolfskins
Sorry to (probably) kill you Keaton, you're still the person my Female Corrin marries

At what chapter should I start fighting the amiibo units, Oboro and Scarlet are some real tanks, but Marth's Paladin can still take them out easily?

Rutger

Banned
Man Conquest 10 was sooooo much fun. Figuring out how to deploy resources was great and having each character with a defined role was fantastic and just tons of fun to figure out the optimal deployment of. Reclassing Corrin to Cavalier was one of the best decisions I've ever made, I don't think I could have beaten this without it. Elise's Freeze staff was also the hero with stopping nasty pegs when needed. Niles was a big contributor, having Beruka/Selena clog the left side helped a lot, Nyx with the magic siege was really useful, Effie was not as helpful as you might think because armor move is so bad but her one shotting pegs was really great. Camilla is also insanely good, if anyone hadn't figured that out yet.

I think that map might just be my favorite in the entire series, it's so well made. I had reclassed Corrin into a Samurai a few maps earlier and for I while I thought it was the worst decision I've made, she was just too fragile for it on Lunatic, that is until I gave her some tonics, changed Jakob into a Great Knight and gave him the boots from having two campaigns, and paired them up and sent her out to bait the enemies to the southeast of me. She had no problem surviving and I could then bait the enemies to the southwest, and keep that cracked wall up for several turns longer, changing everything.

It took a few more tries to get it all down, I ended up playing aggressively with Corrin+Jakob(Jakob was the lead after a few turns) and Camilla+Selena(for a speed boost) to defeat the two birthright characters that will move early as well as some pegasus knights, while everyone else defended the center. Once I reached turn 11 and saw there was no way the enemies could break through my defense on enemy phase I let out the biggest sigh of relief.
I don't think I'd recommend going with Samurai Corrin, haha, there's no doubt an easier way out there. Well, it may not be the most optimal way through it, but I made it work damn it! and honestly the strategy felt solid enough, I think it's repeatable and only lost a few times because of badly placing some characters other than Corrin+Jakob.

I'm not usually a fan of defense maps, but I'd change my opinion very quickly if we start to see more like this one in the series.

Actually are there any good ways of cheesing it? Like have four relatively bulky units with healing items just sit on the defend tiles?

I'm not sure about below Lunatic, but you'd have to keep an eye out for a few units with Lunge, and enemies with Seal Defense or Shurikens can make it hard to tank a large group of enemies.

THANK YOU. I mentioned this before and nobody agreed. She sounds exactly like her.

That said, I hate her English voice. Most of the dub voices are fine (and some I'd argue are superior, like cough syrup Setsuna) but Hinoka's in particular is gratingly unfitting for her character and not at all like her original voice.

Agreed on the voice not fitting at all. I keep thinking that Hinoka should have Rinkah's voice, and vice versa.

Silas ended up as my tank in birthright so I just kept him as a Great Knight. Guess if you want more res go with Paladin in the end but you honestly can't go wrong with either one with him.

Ah, if that's the case, I won't stress over it too much. Went ahead and promoted to Great Knight.

Delio

God damn sorry for even trying to hit you Hana. Geez she was dancing around my troops with high hit rates like it was nothing. My main worry in this chapter.

How in the hell are you supposed to deal with enemies that have insanely high crit rates? Twice now I've played through Birthright Chapter 9 and get to the boss who has a crit rate of about 25%. First time out I lost one character to him right out of the gate. Second time out I lost two characters in a row! Chapter is too damn long to play again. Just doesn't seem fair but I'm hoping that I'm missing a mechanic and this would have been avoidable.

Really frustrated at this point.

THANK YOU. I mentioned this before and nobody agreed. She sounds exactly like her.

That said, I hate her English voice. Most of the dub voices are fine (and some I'd argue are superior, like cough syrup Setsuna) but Hinoka's in particular is gratingly unfitting for her character and not at all like her original voice.

I've only been playing Birthright but so far the voice acting isn't that bad.

The only horrible VA I've come across so far is Felicia, and I had her replaced in MyCastle almost immediately.

How in the hell are you supposed to deal with enemies that have insanely high crit rates? Twice now I've played through Birthright Chapter 9 and get to the boss who has a crit rate of about 25%. First time out I lost one character to him right out of the gate. Second time out I lost two characters in a row! Chapter is too damn long to play again. Just doesn't seem fair but I'm hoping that I'm missing a mechanic and this would have been avoidable.

Either use Guard Stance to guarantee they'll do no damage or use indirect attacks to chip at them safely so they can't counter. Also, if a character has high enough defense, you can just make sure that even if they eat a crit they'll survive.

I'm not a huge fan of high crit enemies but there's definitely ways of dealing with them.

GamerSoul

Well I lost the awesome Scarlet..I saved my progess on another slot but damn I really dont want to start chapter 15 over..but I likely will :/

Either use Guard Stance to guarantee they'll do no damage or use indirect attacks to chip at them safely so they can't counter. Also, if a character has high enough defense, you can just make sure that even if they eat a crit they'll survive.

I'm not a huge fan of high crit enemies but there's definitely ways of dealing with them.

Guard stance wears off though, right? Because I made sure to get a pair in Guard Stance using one of the final sets of regular enemies on the map but by the time I got to the boss I was no longer at full bars. And since he was the boss all of the other enemies were dead at that point so I didn't have anyone to use to boost to Guard Stance anymore.

And I can't do indirect- he's a magic user so he always gets a counter and he has too many HP to one shot him short of getting a crit on my own.

Rutger

Banned

That boss is a magic user right? Hinoka wasn't getting damaged at all when I played through the map, crits mean nothing if it's zero damage.

Guard stance wears off though, right? Because I made sure to get a pair in Guard Stance using one of the final sets of regular enemies on the map but by the time I got to the boss I was no longer at full bars. And since he was the boss all of the other enemies were dead at that point so I didn't have anyone to use to boost to Guard Stance anymore.

And I can't do indirect- he's a magic user so he always gets a counter and he has too many HP to one shot him short of getting a crit on my own.
Guard Stance wears off by one action for each turn you don't spend in combat, just try not to dilly-dally on your way to fight him next time.

Wait have you been using Kaze? His resistance is ridiculous, if the boss is a mage he should have zero issues killing him. Also, assuming he survives the round of combat (which I imagine he would) his debuffs should make the boss pretty killable for a high attack character.

Conquest Chapter 9 can go die in a fire.
After a few tries I manage to inch my way to Azura, taking care to bait all the archers and the staff user and everything. It's all going swimmingly and then reinforcements everywhere spawning a horde of archers right by Azura's side of the map. I get reinforcements, but they spawned them on the side of the map they KNOW you only have one character with low movement in! There's trial and error but I had no way of preparing for that.

Phocks

After a few tries I manage to inch my way to Azura, taking care to bait all the archers and the staff user and everything. It's all going swimmingly and then reinforcements everywhere spawning a horde of archers right by Azura's side of the map. I get reinforcements, but they spawned them on the side of the map they KNOW you only have one character with low movement in! There's trial and error but I had no way of preparing for that.
You're gonna love 10.

That boss is a magic user right? Hinoka wasn't getting damaged at all when I played through the map, crits mean nothing if it's zero damage.

Yeah but she couldn't do any damage worth a damn to him. In retrospect I should have put someone who could do damage to him in attack stance next to her.

Wait have you been using Kaze? His resistance is ridiculous, if the boss is a mage he should have zero issues killing him. Also, assuming he survives the round of combat (which I imagine he would) his debuffs should make the boss pretty killable for a high attack character.

Boss has very high avoidance. Kaze only had a 60% chance to hit and he, of course, missed. Thankfully he still survived (or I would definitely restart) but Saizo didn't make it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
When's the best time to use a master seal?

Do I gain anything from doing it at level 10 compared to 20 for example?

It's almost always gonna be 20, unless you're on Conquest, and feel like you need the free stat boost from promoting for a chapter that's giving you massive problems, and you don't want to cheese/grind out kid paralogues for more chances at xp.

Kinsei

Banned
When's the best time to use a master seal?

Do I gain anything from doing it at level 10 compared to 20 for example?

Generally at level 20. One example of a situation where you want to use it sooner is if the stats that character makes use of the most have been capped out.

Hugstable

Banned
Does the Rod Shop ever stock Master Seals again after I buy all their stock, or am I shit outta luck? I got like 2 Master Seals left and I think I'm gonna be needing quite a bit more than 2

Does the Rod Shop ever stock Master Seals again after I buy all their stock, or am I shit outta luck? I got like 2 Master Seals left and I think I'm gonna be needing quite a bit more than 2
It will get more stock when you upgrade it and the third level upgrade has an unlimited amount. If you're playing Birthright you'll get a ton just through the campaign also, this may apply to Conquest but I haven't gotten that far in it yet.

What's the best time to reclass? I have Hinoka at level 16 for example and I want to reclass her to become a Spear fighter. Is that the best action to take?

Is there ever a point in using a shop in a castle that you visit? I was hoping it would give access to items that you can't get yet or may have run out of stock on but that doesn't seem to be the case. So it seems rather pointless.

Is there ever a point in using a shop in a castle that you visit? I was hoping it would give access to items that you can't get yet or may have run out of stock on but that doesn't seem to be the case. So it seems rather pointless.

It let's you get some of the other side's equipment, but only the really basic brass/iron/steel varieties which have equivalents no matter what route you're on. It is mostly useful if you're on Nohr since Hoshido has the very useful 1-2 range healing staves.

Neol

What's the best time to reclass? I have Hinoka at level 16 for example and I want to reclass her to become a Spear fighter. Is that the best action to take?

Rule of thumb is 10 for unpromoted and 10/15 for promoted depending if you want the level 15 promoted skill or not.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Birthright ch 15 question:
Is there any way I can grind supports without gaining exp? I need to get my support with Kaze to A, but despite my best efforts we're only at C. Is it feasible for me to slowly grind it via my private quarters?

Neol

Is there any way I can grind supports without gaining exp? I need to get my support with Kaze to A, but despite my best efforts we're only at C. Is it feasible for me to slowly grind it via my private quarters?

Nah private quarters is terribly slow.

If you want you can just grind it out by just visiting random low level castles and steamrollling them to grind the support pair you want.

spiritfox

Do castle battles or DLC missions.

Jims

Is the content of Support Convos spoiler-y? Not sure but will play it safe.

Kaden and Sakura's support:

The two characters are literally sleeping together (OK, actually napping), right from the get-go in C-rank. It's obviously played very innocently and is related to Kaden's culture as a kitsune. It's just hard not to look dubiously at the C-rank scene and think, moving a little fast there, Kaden, eh?

Gunsrs7

Banned
I love this game but I can't help but think that not having a reset option like I'm every fire emblem was a complete oversight thankfully I haven't needed to more then once but shutting off my ds and turning it back on is a pain

Verelios

I just sent in two paired units and killed him off easily. You can even have Azura outside on standby if there aren't enough MOV spaces to get to him on time. He doesn't take the initiative anyway, and tanking one hit, so long as he doesn't crit, should be okay. I had Corrin paired with Silas and Hana with Oboro, they killed him first contact.

Dresden

I love this game but I can't help but think that not having a reset option like I'm every fire emblem was a complete oversight thankfully I haven't needed to more then once but shutting off my ds and turning it back on is a pain

L+R+Start+Select

Busaiku

Man, this had to have been the easiest boss yet.
Is there no handicap for the boss at higher difficulties or something?
No reinforcements either, this was super straightforward.

Lunar15

You don't need to go get Azura. You can move her to the dragon vein. There's even one enemy in that area early on that moves around the map so that you can sneak azura through there. Once she hits the dragon vein, she's literally in the clear. The goal of the map is to take the throne where the boss is.

Busaiku

The grinding DLC map isn't even that great.
The monsters don't give that much EXP (compared to Awakening), and they're all still pretty high levels if you take your weak party.
Guess I'll just have the other characters sit out.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm in love with Peri. Best Fire Emblem cavalier ever.
Growth-wise, Silas is generally better (though she'll handle mages a lot better), but Peri has a way better personal skill (which isn't hard, in fairness) and she's just so amazing in general I'd never want her out of my rotation.

Top Bottom