• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Moonlight

Banned
Conquest 15:

First up, I'm sort of disappointed by how lame the actual map was after it smacks you in the face with this immediately really cool and interesting concept - one of the coolest in the entire series in how it plays with your understanding of the mechanics and opens up considerations for strategy.
The mirrored conditions of your units and their replicas genuinely struck me as a really exciting and cool thing that I saw tons of potential in forcing you to consider two situations simultaneously. It's a really devious thing, but it doesn't take that concept anywhere in terms of how the mission is actually designed. The simultaneous pressure that could have really met the raw potential of shared HP pools and item equips isn't there, and it turns into a basic game of baiting in enemies and letting them stick themselves on the end of your spear/sword. Mirrored HP pools and statuses just means 'consume free vulnerary after kill' since each side is only ever obligated to be in danger under its' own terms.

It's like an early level in a 3D Mario game. I just hope there's another mission in the game that more thoroughly explores the concept.

The worst part about that map is how bad it felt to give
Gunter
any kills whatsoever for how comically awful his growths are.

But more importantly, holy fuck. The plot revelations in Chapter 15 are incredible. Amazing. I can't really add more superlatives to how astoundingly dumb the turn this story just took. It's like... holy fuck, I almost started cackling.
Why does 'saving Garon' matter even remotely. He is evil. He is literally a demon. He has no redeeming characteristics and literally everyone agrees that he's awful. The technicality that he's your father shouldn't matter, given that you've known him for like... a few months? Fates is sort of weird about the passage of time. And your siblings probably wouldn't miss him much either. You know he's evil, the nation knows he's evil, your friends know he's evil, he knows he's evil. He loves that shit.

but this is way too unreasonable. why kill garon when we can help garon kill a bunch of other people because... I don't really know.

but because you heard ONE WEIRD FACT about the magic chair in hoshido you're endorsing an invasion of this nation you spent a while sorta rightfully being in turmoil over having to be in conflict with because once he parks his demonic ass on that seat spirit energy will purge his spirit or something.

genuinely like

aghast at how anyone read this and went 'oh yeah, this checks out'. Grinning in a way I don't think IntSys intended. :lol

Tingle

But more importantly, holy fuck. The plot revelations in Chapter 15 are incredible. Amazing. I can't really add more superlatives to how astoundingly dumb the turn this story just took. It's like... holy fuck, I almost started cackling.
Why does 'saving Garon' matter even remotely. He is evil. He is literally a demon. He has no redeeming characteristics and literally everyone agrees that he's awful. The technicality that he's your father shouldn't matter, given that you've known him for like... a few months? Fates is sort of weird about the passage of time. And your siblings probably wouldn't miss him much either. You know he's evil, the nation knows he's evil, your friends know he's evil, he knows he's evil. He loves that shit.

but this is way too unreasonable. why kill garon when we can help garon kill a bunch of other people because... I don't really know.

but because you heard ONE WEIRD FACT about the magic chair in hoshido you're endorsing an invasion of this nation you spent a while sorta rightfully being in turmoil over having to be in conflict with because once he parks his demonic ass on that seat spirit energy will purge his spirit or something.

genuinely like

aghast at how anyone read this and went 'oh yeah, this checks out'. Grinning in a way I don't think IntSys intended. :lol

The story is still bad, but I think you misunderstood it.

They aren't trying to save Garondorf, they want him to sit on the throne to reveal his true self (Ganon slime monster.) Then your siblings can see he truly is a monster, and they would not be reluctant when you kill him. You do want him dead, you just can't run out and kill him.

Glad everyone loved chapter 10 from conquest. It's clearly one of the best chapters in the whole series. And the rest of the game is clearly amazing, lots of cool gimmick per map (loved chapter 20 to 24, chapter 17 was great too)

I think my favorite part ever is in Nohr Chapter 14 when
Azura is CLEARLY the one dancing and singing but then the cast is like "holy shit, holy FUCKING shit who the FUCK was that...holy fuck guys wow"

goat

Tingle

Azura is CLEARLY the one dancing and singing but then the cast is like "holy shit, holy FUCKING shit who the FUCK was that...holy fuck guys wow"

goat

But that couldn't be Azura, Azura wears white!
/s

Moonlight

Banned
The story is still bad, but I think you misunderstood it.

The aren't trying to save Garondorf, they want him to sit on the throne to reveal his true self (Ganon slime monster.) Then your siblings can see he truely his a monster, and they would not be reluctant when you kill him. You do want him dead, you just can't run out and kill him.
Okay, I ran through that cutscene again, but that's still pretty dumb.
The chapter before, Leo fully admits how bad their father is and how they need to walk on eggshells to avoid getting flat-out executed by him. No one talks about how anyone would be reluctant about it, until Corrin's main point comes up that 'he's still my father, must we shame and dethrone him?'. I ran through the cutscene again, and there's definitely no suggestion they wouldn't have support as opposed to Corrin's weird moral qualms. Which makes it even weirder she goes 'well the queen mentioned an incidental spiritual fact about a chair let's conquer those guys we spent a while angsting over leaving' and Corrin totally agrees. You're letting blatantly evil fucks like Hans and Iago have free reign over this other nation to let everyone know the specific reason Garon is a huge asshole before you do something you could have done a while ago?

The point about 'revealing his true form' seems like a total non sequitur because... why? What's... what's the point?

It's such a hilarious escalation.

goat
:lol

PsionBolt

goat

I was actually thinking to myself just around the time of that mission, "oh yeah, didn't she wear black in one of the trailers? I assumed she would wear white in Hoshido and black in Nohr, but I'm playing Nohr and she's wearing white. I wonder when that'll come up?" And then it did, like ten minutes after I thought about it. Such perfect pacing!

Astral Dog

How fo you beat the chapter where you have to escape with Corrin at the theatre?
Those basty mounted knights! Are you suppised to use a pegasus to escape?

I thought Kaden was like the other shapeshifter like classes in Awakening that don't have a class change. My surprise when he hit lvl 20 and it said MAX.

Tingle

Okay, I ran through that cutscene again, but that's still pretty dumb.
The chapter before, Leo fully admits how bad their father is and how they need to walk on eggshells to avoid getting flat-out executed by him. No one talks about how anyone would be reluctant about it, until Corrin's main point comes up that 'he's still my father, must we shame and dethrone him?'. I ran through the cutscene again, and there's definitely no suggestion they wouldn't have support as opposed to Corrin's weird moral qualms. Which makes it even weirder she goes 'well the queen mentioned an incidental spiritual fact about a chair let's conquer those guys we spent a while angsting over leaving' and Corrin totally agrees. You're letting blatantly evil fucks like Hans and Iago have free reign over this other nation to let everyone know the specific reason Garon is a huge asshole before you do something you could have done a while ago?

The point about 'revealing his true form' seems like a total non sequitur because... why? What's... what's the point?

Well, the plot is still bad :p

Leo also says they are content with just helping people where they can, they don't want to rebel. That's where the story starts off and why Corrin has to get involved in the first place. Garondorf wasn't always completely evil I think, which is why his kids still don't want to kill him, even if he is evil now. They do agree with Corrin that he's evil, they just can't bring themselves to do anything about it. Probably out of both their past love for Garondorf and out of fear.

The whole thing with a throne is just because they need to give you an excuse to conquer Hoshido, its written clumsily though. So they had to tie the revelation of Garondorf being a monster to Hoshido.

The true form stuff is just supposed to be the last straw that would make the siblings realize the Garondorf is really Slime-Ganon, and not really their father at all, in either mind or body.

So I just finished Birthright. The writing was poor, but the story itself wasn't actually quite as stupid as I expected. Gameplay and all that was great, yadda yadda.

Has anyone played all three routes? I know people have extolled the virtue of Conquesr, but I'm somewhat tempted to skip to Revelation when it's out. How does the gameplay fare in that one?

just did the first paralogue on conquest... So is Mozu basically Fate's version of Donnel?

Not as awesome as Donnel tho. I dropped her fast since she didn't show results

So I just finished Birthright. The writing was poor, but the story itself wasn't actually quite as stupid as I expected. Gameplay and all that was great, yadda yadda.

Has anyone played all three routes? I know people have extolled the virtue of Conquesr, but I'm somewhat tempted to skip to Revelation when it's out. How does the gameplay fare in that one?

Revelations has strange and cool gimmicks but some of them make just some chapters way too long. But honestly I find it still slighty better than Birthright but not as great as Conquest. Story sucks balls tho

Revelations has strange and cool gimmicks but some of them make just some chapters way too long. But honestly I find it still slighty better than Birthright but not as great as Conquest. Story sucks balls tho
Definitely not expecting anything from the story lol.

Well, good to know. I might end up playing both then I guess. Don't want to miss out on Conquest if it's that much better.

Draxal

A little late but thanks for the info!

So is there a way to get the amiibo units from.. like fighting My Castles from people who have the amiibos? I want Ike and Lucia :v

No, the units kinda suck anyway, you can get the class item changes from certain dlc.

Dimmle

Just play on Casual and reset for any death if you want that. Battle saves should stay out of Classic otherwise we could just brute force the RNG to work however we want, it's not really a good thing to have in a strategy game like this.

I think it could work if you could only save like once or twice during a mission, or at specific points.
I'd use battle saves to save precious time. Ain't nobody got the leisure to game RNG anymore.

CazTGG

Conquest 15:

snip

It's also a bit confusing given
that, assuming she can't just go back to the other realm to get another one, she just shows this to Corrin and expects things to go fine from there. Why didn't she just reveal this when all the siblings were together instead of just Corrin? That way they wouldn't need that chair to prove how Garon is a literal monster and they could just end his reign before any more people have to either be injured or die. Honestly, that would have made for a more complex and mature story, dealing with a nation whose successor is named during a time of war whose reign must begin by dealing with the mess left by their father launched onto a peaceful nation as well as deal with other issues Nohr faces due to the growing rebellions like the ones shown in the earlier chapters. Unless they pull a Lyon (given that i'm roughly 3 chapters from the endgame I doubt they could pull it off) I don't see how there's anything redeeming about King (laughs evilly) the First.

Dimmle

How fo you beat the chapter where you have to escape with Corrin at the theatre?
Those basty mounted knights! Are you suppised to use a pegasus to escape?
Here's a cheesy, fool-proof strategy to buy enough time to nab all the treasure:

Chapter 12:
Take Corrin under the care of a peg knight (level doesn't matter as it's used only for transport) and drop them off at the stage. Xander and the other Nohrians will backtrack on their route to pursue Corrin. As soon as the gank squad gets in range of Corrin, take him back out to sea and away from the danger zone. The chuckleheads will resume their previous route. Repeat this and you'll never have to worry about getting stomped by Xander before grabbing the goods. Then Corrin can escape at their leisure. Easiest chapter in the game.

GSR

They should have brought back Shadow Dragon's one use save tiles.

This is probably my #1 ask for the series. Mid-mission save points felt much less broken than battle saves, and much more fair than having to finish sometimes massive chapters in one go.

Here's a cheesy, fool-proof strategy to buy enough time to nab all the treasure:

Chapter 12:
Take Corrin under the care of a peg knight (level doesn't matter as it's used only for transport) and drop them off at the stage. Xander and the other Nohrians will backtrack on their route to pursue Corrin. As soon as the gank squad gets in range of Corrin, take him back out to sea and away from the danger zone. The chuckleheads will resume their previous route. Repeat this and you'll never have to worry about getting stomped by Xander before grabbing the goods. Then Corrin can escape at their leisure. Easiest chapter in the game.

I'm beginning to think I am the only one who tried to beat all of the enemies (except the boss,
I'm not dealing with a range 1-3 axe
). I did it too (playing on Hard/Classic).

Izana sure came out of nowhere.

Indeed

FkneMHH.jpg

OBbYQTe.jpg

GamerSoul

haha I loved that line from Izana.

Niles X Camilla supports
so nobody in the Nohr family has the same mother
And we still fight for the king.

Scandalous yet believable in their time.

So far I passed the 20hr mark and I'm only on chapter 16. This isn't counting all my resets. This game I'd definitely more challenging and the new mechanics are keeping me on my toes, but I think my main units are starting to hit their strides.

haha I loved that line from Izana.

Scandalous yet believable in their time.

So far I passed the 20hr mark and I'm only on chapter 16. This isn't counting all my resets. This game I'd definitely more challenging and the new mechanics are keeping me on my toes, but I think my main units are starting to hit their strides.

I meant why do his children still trust him, the scandalous part well written and I'm surprise they didn't held back too much

Chase17

Made it through chapter 25 on birthright. Units are starting to drop though.

Hoping Ryoma can carry me through the last few chapters.

Elise's supports are actually really cute. I was kind of whatever on her at first but I think she's actually really likable, ONIISAN stuff aside. If anything I'm kind of irritated that that stuff is there because it hides an otherwise good character.

Also I think Owain might be even more hilarious in this game.

Thanks its still weird you dont stand much of a chance if you stay long.
That's why the mission type is Escape and not Rout lol

Move units next to them and it should have an option if they have the right weapon type. Bow users can use ballista, hidden weapon users can use launchers, and tome users can use the orbs.

Hey thread, sorry I've you've answered this question a billion times already, but I'd like some advice on whether to buy Fire Emblem Red or Fire Emblem Blue.

For reference: the only FE game I've played is Awakening, on Hard and Classic (reload on death). I enjoyed the game a lot, but in my opinion it was way too long (like most jrpgs) and it lost my interest before I finished it. This was also because I didn't like the difficulty curve; I found it a little too harsh in the beginning, just right in the early/middle, and easy-to-trivial after what I think is the halfway point.

Conquest
+ The challenge sounds appealing to me (but then again I could just play Birthright on a harder difficulty).
+ I heard the map objectives are more interesting.

Birthright
+ I like ninjas more than knights (but I would probably get my dose if I ever play the 'combined' campaign).
+ I like the character designs more than Conquest (same as above).

Now that I've written it down, I think I'm leaning towards Conquest.

Conquest 15:

First up, I'm sort of disappointed by how lame the actual map was after it smacks you in the face with this immediately really cool and interesting concept - one of the coolest in the entire series in how it plays with your understanding of the mechanics and opens up considerations for strategy.
The mirrored conditions of your units and their replicas genuinely struck me as a really exciting and cool thing that I saw tons of potential in forcing you to consider two situations simultaneously. It's a really devious thing, but it doesn't take that concept anywhere in terms of how the mission is actually designed. The simultaneous pressure that could have really met the raw potential of shared HP pools and item equips isn't there, and it turns into a basic game of baiting in enemies and letting them stick themselves on the end of your spear/sword. Mirrored HP pools and statuses just means 'consume free vulnerary after kill' since each side is only ever obligated to be in danger under its' own terms.

It's like an early level in a 3D Mario game. I just hope there's another mission in the game that more thoroughly explores the concept.

The worst part about that map is how bad it felt to give
Gunter
any kills whatsoever for how comically awful his growths are.

genuinely like

It's not another mission (Although I've only just completed conquest 15 myself) but there is a skill gained from the mechanist class (upgrade ninja/apothecary) that is called replicate which does the same thing

NeonZ

It's also a bit confusing given
that, assuming she can't just go back to the other realm to get another one, she just shows this to Corrin and expects things to go fine from there. Why didn't she just reveal this when all the siblings were together instead of just Corrin? That way they wouldn't need that chair to prove how Garon is a literal monster and they could just end his reign before any more people have to either be injured or die. Honestly, that would have made for a more complex and mature story, dealing with a nation whose successor is named during a time of war whose reign must begin by dealing with the mess left by their father launched onto a peaceful nation as well as deal with other issues Nohr faces due to the growing rebellions like the ones shown in the earlier chapters. Unless they pull a Lyon (given that i'm roughly 3 chapters from the endgame I doubt they could pull it off) I don't see how there's anything redeeming about King (laughs evilly) the First.

And, in that scene, she even makes sure that Gunter doesn't see the Orb, showing it to Corrin before Gunter arrives, while saying that she has enough time to do that due to the different time flow. I guess Corrin is the only person that she really believes in? The support system clashes with that, but it's the only thing that makes sense considering the way that she's written in that scene.

Sakura and Azura supports are fun.

Azura the master troll always telling ghost stories.

Their first support was really cute.

"I just want to spend time with you and stay up past my bedtime!"

D'aaaaawwwwwwwwwwww

Thanks its still weird you dont stand much of a chance if you stay long.

Its an escape mission :p i was expecting some twist since i didnt think itd end so quickly.

Are you referening to teh chapter where Corrin fall off cliff? characters can actually live or die because of ranks? @_@

good thing I maxed him out then.

Yup. moral of the story: you never know how long you have with someone! Spend as much time with them as long as theyre here! :(

LegendX48

Yep, weak base stats, and good growth rates thanks to Aptitude.

Though unlike Donnel, she has a promotion class after Villager.
She has slightly lower growths (especially HP), but is a better end game unit than Donnel.
Not as awesome as Donnel tho. I dropped her fast since she didn't show results
Well, Donnel took ages to improve for me so maybe it's just the RNG stuff?

But anywho, cool stuff, sweet that she can promote from villager into something.

omlet

Quick question... I just noticed I have "bonus items" in the options menu for having all 3 routes purchased (stat boosters, class change seals)... Can you redeem those on each time you play the game or just once? I'm playing Classic Hard Conquest first, so I guess if it's just once this is probably the time to get them.

NeonZ

Well, Donnel took ages to improve for me so maybe it's just the RNG stuff?

But anywho, cool stuff, sweet that she can promote from villager into something.

You can also immediately class change her to archer, without needing to get to level 10. That's especially useful if you're playing Conquest.

Quick question... I just noticed I have "bonus items" in the options menu for having all 3 routes purchased (stat boosters, class change seals)... Can you redeem those on each time you play the game or just once? I'm playing Classic Hard Conquest first, so I guess if it's just once this is probably the time to get them.

You can redeem them for each file.

Top Bottom