• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Zebetite

Banned
Any help those of you who are familiar with playing with Arthur can provide would be appreciated.

Its the right call to staple all your Goddess Icons to him. Really, who else needs them?

His 5 luck growth means he has a ton of good growths elsewhere. Unequip Gamble until his Skill can get rolling. Hero will get him swords to patch up hit issues and get him out of axe lock. Zerker will get him crazy crit %s but exacerbate his own crit-against chance issues.

Speed can be a problem like it is for literally every character in CQ. Consider breeding Percy to give some speed on pairup, and pair Arthur to a speed booster until Percy arrives. Peg. Knight Selena can be a rallybot, too. Or just dump Speedwings on him, since you seem pretty committed to making this a run of JUSTICE.

Bronze Axes can negate crit chance against Arthur at the cost of his own crits and some Mt. It's especially useful early game when you haven't bolstered his Luck yet.

Once he gets going, he'll either be a risky crit god as a Berserker or a reliably beefy front line fighter with great sustainability thanks to Sol. His HP, Str and Skl will be out of control, and his Def and Spd should be at least serviceable. Proc skills arguably do better on him than anyone else. His Skill growth is 70 as a Fighter/Zerker and 75 as a Hero, and his personal Skl cap is the highest in Conquest (+3).

The amount of effort you need to put into Arthur to make him great is really overstated. It basically boils down to feeding him the least-in-demand stat booster and unequipping a skill for a while. Have fun and Justice be with you.

Arthur and a few other units can get screwed badly on Lunatic.

On Hard, Arthur's growths will lead to beastly stats. His attack stance is devastating, but don't expect him to tank because of that Luck stat. In my experience, Arthur's Skill growth allows him to hit accurately later on, but he will have a shaky start. I find him much more useful than Charlotte.

Non-royal units turn out much better on Hard, so you won't have problems with Arthur.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Just a note that if you run into that problem again next conquest run and can't/ don't want to go up both sides to deal with mini bosses. You can actually kill the chapter 25 boss
from the other side of the wall if you lure him to it once the arbitrary turn count is up. I got lazy after completing one side and just sniped at him with Niles and a dual yumi though anyone with decent luck , defense and a ranged attack will do. Can confirm it was not fun as crushing him with a master ninja Corrin the run before that though.
Yes, this is an option I guess, but since my ranged units other than Xander were too fragile to guarantee a win here, I went the "clear the map fast" route. Which was quite challenging even in Hard. Thanks for the tip either way, should I ever feel like trying it in Lunatic (and I don't know if that is even possible to beat with my never-buy-weapons and never-change-class-other-than-at-level-20 mentality), I'll prepare my units to be able of doing that.

Let me make a wild guess here.
He's big. He has red hair. He wields a sword that is covered in lightning. And you're locked in a room with him.
If so, I have it planned out. In a few levels, my Avatar switches over to Swordmaster, to grab those four skills ending with Swordfaire at 15. I'm not sure if Astra is better than Dragon Fang in the long run, but I'm going to keep Vantage. I've seen him at half HP often enough to know that it could be good later. It's automatic at less than 50% HP, right?

Because Swordfaire + Yato seems like something to do for anyone silly enough to have, say...
Dragonskin
for a skill later.

My Kana got the Dragonstone+ and has Draconic Hex. She can take a hit and then the enemy sucks afterwards. Then she heals it off on the Player Phase since she's holding a Dragonstone. She's definitely on the final team now. It burns off her offense pretty fast if she uses the DS+ all the time, but it's a good option for a tactical strike on a low Res enemy, or just as a blocker.
You guessed right. I can't comment on the skill stuff though, because I never put any work into the skills. I just kept the skills that seemed helpful and dropped the one that wasn't (Arthur's luck modifier. Also, Arthur is a shit character that I dragged right to the end of Conquest, but who was way too unreliable).

Currently I'm on the closing stretch of Revelations and I still prefer it over Birthright, but you get way too many op units like Ryoma and Xander making the game considerably easier from the mid-point onwards. Also, a lot of good units like Niles and Effie (my beast in Conquest) start way too low on level, they are beyond saving without grinding from my perspective, so I dropped them. Niles even died, but considering his low unpromoted level when I got him, he was dead in the water right away anyway. I don't know what IS was thinking there.

Velcro Fly

Taking a much needed break from Conquest right now... Should've waited after Birthright and not jump straight in imo

This was what I did. I played the choice chapter and the next one or two after and stopped. I'll play it again in a couple weeks after I finish another RPG. Just need a break from SRPG right now.

TannerDemoz

Conquest - Classic/Hard - Chapter 19

I've still got underclassed units I'm trying to level (not very successfully)

Should I just give up at this point? Are there any chapters coming up that allow levelling for lower level units?

Oxx

I had my first 'three-quarters of the way into a long mission I made a dumb mistake and one of my characters got killed' moments yesterday. It only feels bad because the rest of the mission was pretty easy.

I'd had a couple of resets before this, but luckily they were pretty early in their respective missions.

Yoshi

Conquest - Classic/Hard - Chapter 19

I've still got underclassed units I'm trying to level (not very successfully)

Should I just give up at this point? Are there any chapters coming up that allow levelling for lower level units?

How low are they? Remember that you can just get some children later on and they will be at an apropiate level. It's quite unlikely to run out of good units. If you don't have either Effie or Benny on par, get them up, though, because you will most likely need a tank that can take some heavy beating.

How low are they? Remember that you can just get some children later on and they will be at an apropiate level. It's quite unlikely to run out of good units. If you don't have either Effie or Benny on par, get them up, though, because you will most likely need a tank that can take some heavy beating.
Why would you do that, you already have Xander.

Yoshi

Why would you do that, you already have Xander.
Well, Xander was robust, but Effie was indistructible. She was the only reliable unit to clear mission 25 with, Xander would almost certainly be killed in the Ninja onslaught to the right or the teleporting enemy swarm on the left.

Well, Xander was robust, but Effie was indistructible. She was the only reliable unit to clear mission 25 with, Xander would almost certainly be killed in the Ninja onslaught to the right or the teleporting enemy swarm on the left.
lol

neither of them can really handle chapter 25 on lunatic, but at any rate Xander has more effective defense than Effie
Sölf;209229634 said:
My Xander became a complete wimp, his son had more health when he joined me.

well of course Siegbert has more HP from Charlotte passing HP +5

Chapter 12 down in Revelation....ughhhh... why does this route take all the crappy maps of Birthright and Conquest and make them even crappier? The terrible selection of units you get early on is also seriously not helping, my Felicia has become Ryoma 2.0 after going through 3 classes and Azura hits harder than the avatar with her Brass Naginata because I've had to rely on them so much for kills.

TannerDemoz

I've got Selena at level 16 (low str but really good speed so seemed worth levelling and turning hero). Got Laslow at level 2 hero but it's looking likely she'll outstat him when she ranks.

Also got Odin as a Samurai as I realised how hilarious it made his stats look, but he's only at level 12. REALLY want to use him but I think it's too late for him? Currently hitting a lot of restarts due to him taking a hit after hitting a low-hp enemy but getting battered afterwards. Most enemies 1shot him.

woopWOOP

Alright, I've finally beaten Birthright. Good stuff, but in the end tho I'm a bit disappointed how similar both routes ended up being. Well, not mission objective-wise obviously and I have no problem that they re-used some of the maps, but there's a pretty clear pattern both routes go through. Boat ride, fighting sibling #1, going through the mountain of local animorph people, fighting sibling #2, duel with BIG BROTHER... like c'mon, don't make it so obvious. Atleast [birthright story spoiler]
it was Elise biting the dust and not Leo like I figured would happen

Started my Revelations playthrough now. Time I grab some faq sheets and go crazy about selective unit breeding. Also the beginning is (unintentionally?) pretty funny. You keep telling those princes to chill out and listen while they just recite their dramatic betrayal speech from the other two routes. Stick to the script!

Yoshi

I've got Selena at level 16 (low str but really good speed so seemed worth levelling and turning hero). Got Laslow at level 2 hero but it's looking likely she'll outstat him when she ranks.

Also got Odin as a Samurai as I realised how hilarious it made his stats look, but he's only at level 12. REALLY want to use him but I think it's too late for him? Currently hitting a lot of restarts due to him taking a hit after hitting a low-hp enemy but getting battered afterwards. Most enemies 1shot him.

Catching up from level 16 to level 21 is a bit of work, but if you feel she'll be considerably better than Laslow, you can probably do it. In mission 24 there is a point where you can safely get a bit of extra experience on the left side of the map if you have a ranged unit with good deense available (e.g. Effie with long spear) and just put your character you want to train in attack stance, as well as bringing Niles for another attack stance attack in the player round (who should only deal minimal damage but takes only small damage from the enemy as well). If you have one seriously underleveled character you really want, you could invest some time here, because said enemy is alone in his area and can heal arbitrarily often at a nearby castle.

Regarding Odin: I am a huge fan of magic users, but the only really good ones I found in this game were Corrin, Leo, and Hayato (Birthright) the other ones are too fragile. Odin is similar (or worse even) to Nyx from my experience, who I dragged right to the end, because she was my wife in Conquest, and she could consistently be one-shot by most units, even though I got her to level 20/20. Her attacks were deadly though. I feel most magicians are not worth it on the Conquest route.

Shinypogs

Almost done birthright lunatic, soon I will be back to my beloved conquest for run 8 of fates. I really need more save slots 😢.

Im also excited to finally use Gunter as a pairup partner ( not marrying him though ) since my avatar will be going the oni savage into blacksmith route with a brief stop at oni chieftain for death blow. Gunters +15hit from forceful partner will be really useful on an axe weilder .

Birthright chapter 24 is some bullshit yo.

I appreciate the game more on the beginner mode as it allows me to enjoy it even if I lose only one unit (this is the number I accept to lose).

I still don't like how relationships
and children
are handled in the game. Oh well, I'll do it just for the additionnal maps and challenge.

I hope Conquest maps are less cheese-able than Birthright though.

Shinypogs

I hope Conquest maps are less cheese-able than Birthright though.
Sort of, I mean if you're doing a crazy efficient low turn count run then you know how to cheese every map but in general conquest's maps are more solid that birthright and revelations although some maps allow for " fuckit I'm gonna bypass all this nonsense" at the cost of not getting much or any experience and with it being limited in conquests rarely do you want to give up the chance for more exp.

Yoshi

I've completed the game yesterday, finishing the Revelations route as my last one. Revelations is a bit anti-climatic, starting quite tough with the weak units you get in the beginning and being trivialised the moment you get the ultimate duo. The only mission that got a bit tight for me afterwards was actually a paralogue where an absurd amount of enemies spawned and had my whole team cornered. They did not do any damage to my front line guys, but I needed some lucky strikes to get out of the cage and activate the dragon veins. For some rounds I was worried I'd never break out.

Interestingly, Birthright and Revelations only took me 60 hours together (so, 30 each), whereas Conquest alone took me 100 hours. The difference in difficulty is definitely considerable. Still, I prefer the Nohr cast and story over Birthright's; gameplay wise this is no contest anyway.

I need some help. I'm a somewhat Fire Emblem newbie whose played 18 or so chapters in the first GBA game when it released on Wii U and a dozen or so chapters in Awakening. I picked Birthright at launch and got through chapter 10 or 11 (the forest one with ninjas and spike traps) on the easier difficulty but it was too easy.

I restarted on normal and got back to that point relatively easy but each new chapter is harder and harder with more and more retries to beat. I'm on chapter 13 now, where you face off against the heros adoptive sister in a village. I can do fine until the armored guys cross the bridges and then I start taking losses.

I have one Armor Slayer sword that can do half health against the armored guys so I have to do some shenanigans with sing and chip away with other characters to take out one unit but by then another is plowing through my line with more getting closer.

I'm pretty frustrated at this point and am considering lowering the difficulty down to easy, which would be fine, but wanted to come to you guys for advice first.

My guys are all leveled 12-15. Am I under leveled for this? I haven't been doing a lot of the side challenges until this point but I finally did some hoping to gain a couple levels to even out the difficulty but I wasn't gaining a lot of experience, maybe only 3 to 4 levels spread accross all my characters, which didn't feel like enough to change my situation without some serious level grinding.

Watching some youtube videos of the chapter shows the youtubers party all at level 18 or so. I assumed they grinded out unit compatability since those looked at A rank or so. I'm full of B and C ranks at this point.

Thinking things through, maybe I need to buy a couple more Armor Slayer items from the shop and hope I can bruise down the armored units faster.

I haven't done anything with class changes yet. I was planning on doing this around L15+ on characters, but really don't know much on the how's and whys I should do it. Whenever I try to look it up all I ever see is talk on how to game the system for children, which I'm not very interested in on this first playthrough. A metagame guide on the working and general strategies of the class change system would be appreciated, as well as one just for Fire Emblem Fates in general I suppose, just not looking for mission spoilers.

TL:DR - I'm stuck on Chapter 13 Normal on Birthright. I wanted a natural playthrough with some challenge but it's been too hard. Trying to figure if it's me still learning the systems so it's an easy strategy fix or if I'm truly still too new to this series and am better suited to dropping the difficulty.

Yoshi

I don't know about the level anymore, but your character's should usually be in the same ballpark as the enemy characters. In that particular mission, the heavily armoured enemies can be a bit of a pain, but remember that they are also very vulnerable to magic. I suggest luring them to you one-by-one and killing them with a combination of magic and armorslayer. If you do not want to grind (and that definitely is not required in hard at all), remember to kill all or most enemies in each map and not to switch around your team too heavily. Usually, this way your characters' levels should be at an appropiate level, as ensured by the enemy's levels. Also regarding unit choice: The royal units are inrecidbly good units, using them is highly recommended. Particularly Xander, Hinoka and Takumi. You should aready have Hinoka and Takumi by now. Use them.

EDIT: For that particular map, keep in mind that after clearing the lower half of the level, you must lure Camilla to you first. You can lure her to you from the middle of the map by stepping into her range which goes a bit into the lower half of the level. After killing her, the other units are "willing" to attack you.

EDIT 2: After a quick look at a map overview, your level should be sufficient to clear the map.

I don't know about the level anymore, but your character's should usually be in the same ballpark as the enemy characters. In that particular mission, the heavily armoured enemies can be a bit of a pain, but remember that they are also very vulnerable to magic. I suggest luring them to you one-by-one and killing them with a combination of magic and armorslayer. If you do not want to grind (and that definitely is not required in hard at all), remember to kill all or most enemies in each map and not to switch around your team too heavily. Usually, this way your characters' levels should be at an appropiate level, as ensured by the enemy's levels. Also regarding unit choice: The royal units are inrecidbly good units, using them is highly recommended. Particularly Xander, Hinoka and Takumi. You should aready have Hinoka and Takumi by now. Use them.

EDIT: For that particular map, keep in mind that after clearing the lower half of the level, you must lure Camilla to you first. You can lure her to you from the middle of the map by stepping into her range which goes a bit into the lower half of the level. After killing her, the other units are "willing" to attack you.

EDIT 2: After a quick look at a map overview, your level should be sufficient to clear the map.

Thanks for the response. I've cleared the lower half of the map completely and am able to lure and kill Kamilla no troubles. I do have one scroll user in my party, forgot her name. Shes level 12 or 13, but she barely scratches the armored units.

I'm using Takumi all the time. I have Hinoka in my party but I don't have her as leveled as I should. Leven 12. I'll work on her more.

I've also been fighting all the units in maps in general, expecting that to be enough, except for the previous mission with Garron where the objective is to escape. In that one I killed enough guys to get most the items and flew Corrin out on a peagasus.

I think I just need to figure out the best way to tackle armored guys in general outside of just singing to my armor Slayer wielding Silas.

NeonZ

Are you attempting to keep your entire army around the same level? If you aren't grinding don't use more characters than what you can deploy at once.

Yoshi

He shouldn't to that, but his level indicates, he hasn't been doing it either. You could still try to give the armourslayer to someone else who has a higher level for swords (maybe Corrin?). Should you also have a hammer: That one is useful against armoured units as well.

Also remember to use attack stance. For instance, you could use Orochi to damage an armoured unit from one tile distance without taking damage using magic. Then you put Corrin right between the armoured unit and Orochi to kill it off with the armourslayer and an additional second attack by Orochi. Then you should have some units left, like Takumi, who can deal with the remaining enemies in close proximity (important to not lose Orochi). Again attack stance can be used to more efficiently kill the remaining enemies.

You also just got Kaden. Kaden is a beast and as such also is strong against armoured units.

I think I just need to figure out the best way to tackle armored guys in general outside of just singing to my armor Slayer wielding Silas.

To be honest in Birthright your only realistic options are sending Ryoma out solo to deal with them and investing time into getting Rhajat beefed up. Hayato and Orochi take too much effort to get up to a state where they can survive the late game, Levin Sword and Bolt Axe aren't available in Birthright outside of DLC and although Bolt Naginata is, only Basara can make any decent use of it. The Hammer weapon and Kaden can also help you out for now (as can Selkie) but later on they'll become fairly useless against armoured units too.

Birthright just doesn't have decent options for dealing magic damage, yet relies very heavily on throwing armoured units with super high strength, defence and ranged weapons at you.

Yoshi

To be honest in Birthright your only realistic options are sending Ryoma out solo to deal with them and investing time into getting Rhajat beefed up. Hayato and Orochi take too much effort to get up to a state where they can survive the late game, Levin Sword and Bolt Axe aren't available in Birthright outside of DLC and although Bolt Naginata is, only Basara can make any decent use of it. The Hammer weapon and Kaden can also help you out for now (as can Selkie) but later on they'll become fairly useless against armoured units too.

Birthright just doesn't have decent options for dealing magic damage, yet relies very heavily on throwing armoured units with super high strength, defence and ranged weapons at you.

I don't agree, I had Orochi at 20/20 in the end and she was really helpful. In Revelations (where a lot of good units are available) I still used Hayato (and got him to 20/20), he was actually really good and the best magic user I could find outside of Leo. You need to protect your magic units, but it's not like in Conquest, where the only viable magic user is Leo. Also, remember that dragonstone is a magic attack, Corrin is therefore a good option for armoured units as well.

Of course, experience will vary depending on luck with level ups and I do not ever try to change my luck with value gains by restarting, but calling Hayato (and to a lesser extend, Orochi) useless is really harsh, considering they both were very useful to me in both runs. Of course, due to the level design, in Birthright you are practically invinciible the moment you get Ryoma anyway, as long as you move forward slowly.

This is so, so wrong.

Birthright enemies are so easy to tear through with magic, that even joke builds like Onmyoji Kagero can tear through enemies for a long time if given the Spirit Dusts.

Also Hayato does not take "too much effort" to train up, and the Bolt Axe is dropped from a (0 magic lol) Berserker in chapter 14.

I appreciate all the advice and discussion. Thanks!

I loaded up the game last night. I found an armor piercing throwing knife (can't recall the name) that I left on some ninja in the stable. I gave that to Saizo.

Orochi is my magic user. I thought I remembered Armored units being weak to magic so I did attack with her. It did maybe 1/3rd damage. She was one of my lower level party members, though, so I'm sure that doesn't help. I went to the shop and bought her a tiger scroll, which has a lot more damage than the, I think Monkey scroll. I'm also thinking of checking to see if I have any Mag stat up items that I can use on her. Hopefully all this will up her damage against armored units to respectable levels.

Anyways, this made me realize that I need to go through and re-equip my guys through the shop. I've been mostly living off the land so to speak. I finally figured out situationally when I should be using the higher damage/lower speed weapons compared to the lower damage/higher speed weapons. Equip the high damage weapons for the people that are assisting in the attack stance since they'll only be attacking once, while the high speed weapons for the people initiating the attack since they will attack multiple times. Do I have this right?

Anyways, I made a few more tweaks and tried the map again. I was making quick work of the bottom half of the map. Remembered to lure the flying unit on the east side on the river before luring Corrins sister (taking out Corrins sister and having to deal with this unit along with the armored guys did not help). I had a group clearing out the very bottom of the map and triggering the Dragons Vein in the bottom right. Then I got cocky and put Hinoka in position to lure that named axe user out who was at 1 health to the Dragons Vein. She went down in one hit. Anger flared. Time to put down the system for the night (I was playing too late anyways. I'll give it another go over lunch and let you guys know.
Are you attempting to keep your entire army around the same level? If you aren't grinding don't use more characters than what you can deploy at once.
I haven't been swapping around characters much. I have dropped characters as new ones come along, so I'll admit there is some wasted exp there..
He shouldn't to that, but his level indicates, he hasn't been doing it either. You could still try to give the armourslayer to someone else who has a higher level for swords (maybe Corrin?). Should you also have a hammer: That one is useful against armoured units as well.
I have a hammer but I don't think I currently have an axe user in my party. I dropped that one from the tutorial missions ages ago. I think she's only level 6 so I can't just swap her in, either.
Also remember to use attack stance. For instance, you could use Orochi to damage an armoured unit from one tile distance without taking damage using magic. Then you put Corrin right between the armoured unit and Orochi to kill it off with the armourslayer and an additional second attack by Orochi. Then you should have some units left, like Takumi, who can deal with the remaining enemies in close proximity (important to not lose Orochi). Again attack stance can be used to more efficiently kill the remaining enemies.
I've been making amble use of attack stance. My favorite addition to the battle system in this game. I've been worried I haven't been using defensive stance enough, though. The bonus stats haven't felt super worthwhile enough to give up being able to attack stance. The guaranteed block meter feels like it is more of a nice bonus than something I, personally, have been able to use reliably. I see it's usefulness in nullifying enemies attack stances but I felt like that's been much more situational than the always useful attack stance. Any insights I've been missing would be appreciated.
You also just got Kaden. Kaden is a beast and as such also is strong against armoured units.
I didn't bring Kaden along. Was more of a preference, I thing guys with cool swords, bows, and throwing daggers look cooler. If he is a bad ass I may have to rethink this.

Yoshi

Kaden is a really good unit (not as good as the Conquest conterpart though in my book).I recommend using him. Definitely in this mission. Regarding defense stance: There is a really nice use of it: If you have a character that attacks at range, give him a defense stance pair up that increases attack value (or magic if it is a magic user), then attack the enemy from distance. Afterwards, use a good non-ranged unit without defense stance next to the previously used defense stance character. Now you get the second attack from the ranged defense stance unit that considers the increased attack value on top. Also, defense stance prohobits attack stance bonus attacks from enemies. This can be very useful.

It seems like you're aggroing too many guys on the upper half of the map.
Camilla
should be dead before the upper units even get close to you. It's very important to observe enemy attack range and damage.

Thankfully, you get two really strong prepromotes on the next map, one of them can be your axe user. It's good that you dropped Rinkah, because she performs very badly in later chapters. She is one of the few units that I would actually label as poor.

Orochi has speed problems, but I still recommend leveling her up, because she does heavy damage to Wyverns, Generals, and Great Knights. Hayato is a solid alternative if you leveled him up on early maps. Their ability to function as secondary healers upon promotion further enhances their usefulness.

I also want to point that out that Kaden is very useful in Birthright, so I would recommend using him despite how you feel about his aesthetic.

Just make sure your team can deal with various enemy types, and you don't need to grind now, especially on Normal. There is a noticeable difficulty spike after Chapter 22, so you should do a few Paralogues if your overall team is too weak during the last few chapters.

This is so, so wrong.

Birthright enemies are so easy to tear through with magic, that even joke builds like Onmyoji Kagero can tear through enemies for a long time if given the Spirit Dusts.
How is it wrong to say that Birthright "doesn't have good options for dealing magic damage" when you're comparing to Conquest or Revelation? You don't have Levin Sword. You don't have Sorcerer, Dark Knight, Strategist or Malig Knight. I guess you do have Bolt Axe, but who can use it? Blacksmith, Master of Arms and Oni Chieftain - useless on all of them. Flame Shuriken is always an option, but will any Ninja or Maid survive a hit from the late game armoured enemies? God no.

What option do you realistically have? Spending far too long grinding to get Hayato or Orochi up to the point where they don't die if any enemy breathes on them. Yeah, it's an option - it's not a good option though.

I don't agree, I had Orochi at 20/20 in the end and she was really helpful. In Revelations (where a lot of good units are available) I still used Hayato (and got him to 20/20), he was actually really good and the best magic user I could find outside of Leo. You need to protect your magic units, but it's not like in Conquest, where the only viable magic user is Leo. Also, remember that dragonstone is a magic attack, Corrin is therefore a good option for armoured units as well.

Of course, experience will vary depending on luck with level ups and I do not ever try to change my luck with value gains by restarting, but calling Hayato (and to a lesser extend, Orochi) useless is really harsh, considering they both were very useful to me in both runs. Of course, due to the level design, in Birthright you are practically invinciible the moment you get Ryoma anyway, as long as you move forward slowly.

Orochi's speed is utter, utter trash (30% growth rate, 25% as Onmyouji) and it takes a miracle or far too much effort to ever get her to double attack units. Couple that with poor HP and defence and you can never put her in any position where she can be attacked back, which is borderline impossible later on. Hayato is fine, but in Birthright you get him at level 1 when the difficulty is already starting to ramp up. Dragonstone can't double attack, have fun dealing with 60+hp armoured units.

Regarding Leo and Conquest - Levin Sword. That's all that needs to be said.

How is it wrong to say that Birthright "doesn't have good options for dealing magic damage" when you're comparing to Conquest or Revelation? You don't have Levin Sword. You don't have Sorcerer, Dark Knight, Strategist or Malig Knight. I guess you do have Bolt Axe, but who can use it? Blacksmith, Master of Arms and Oni Chieftain - useless on all of them. Flame Shuriken is always an option, but will any Ninja or Maid survive a hit from the late game armoured enemies? God no.

What option do you realistically have? Spending far too long grinding to get Hayato or Orochi up to the point where they don't die if any enemy breathes on them. Yeah, it's an option - it's not a good option though.

Orochi's speed is utter, utter trash (30% growth rate, 25% as Onmyouji) and it takes a miracle or far too much effort to ever get her to double attack units. Couple that with poor HP and defence and you can never put her in any position where she can be attacked back, which is borderline impossible later on. Hayato is fine, but in Birthright you get him at level 1 when the difficulty is already starting to ramp up. Dragonstone can't double attack, have fun dealing with 60+hp armoured units.

Regarding Leo and Conquest - Levin Sword. That's all that needs to be said.

Who cares about the Levin Sword or access to Sorceror/Dark Knight/Malig Knight? (note that Corrin can access some of these anyway...and Scarlet as a Malig Knight works) It's so trivial to stomp on enemies as an Oni Chieftain/Basara, Oni Chieftain Rinkah is probably top 5 in "I wanna solo Birthright Lunatic in a few hours".

Seriously I don't think you got the memo: a joke build like Onmyoji Kagero actually works in Birthright

oh and on that note, Kaden is really mediocre, 1-range lock in a route full of routs (heh) that demand 1-2 range? he doesn't even hit that hard

Who cares about the Levin Sword or access to Sorceror/Dark Knight/Malig Knight? (note that Corrin can access one of these anyway...and Scarlet can access all of them) It's so trivial to stomp on enemies as an Oni Chieftain/Basara, Oni Chieftain Rinkah is probably top 5 in "I wanna solo Birthright Lunatic in a few hours".

Seriously I don't think you got the memo: a joke build like Onmyoji Kagero actually works in Birthright
I'll humour you one more time, Birthright enemies may all be weak to magic, but your options for using magic are lacking. Kagero as an Onmyouji kinda works? Great, so does Flame Shuriken Felicia. Wasting Kagero's potential and a pile of Spirit Dust items to cover for the fact that you are lacking enough proper magic options is hilarious. Almost as hilarious as suggesting that Scarlet, a unit that starts with 4 magic and has a 20 magic growth rate, could be a tome using Sorcerer/Dark Knight/Malig Knight.

I'll humour you one more time, Birthright enemies may all be weak to magic, but your options for using magic are lacking. Kagero as an Onmyouji kinda works? Great, so does Flame Shuriken Felicia. Wasting Kagero's potential and a pile of Spirit Dust items to cover for the fact that you are lacking enough proper magic options is hilarious. Almost as hilarious as suggesting that Scarlet, a unit that starts with 4 magic and has a 20 magic growth rate, could be a tome using Sorcerer/Dark Knight/Malig Knight.

Obviously Kagero would just stick to ninja, but the point is anyone makes a competent mage in Birthright.

And should you want to, Scarlet can totally opt for a magic build, she has 10 base/35% growth as a Malig Knight which is definitely sufficient (and you can also pick up Malefic Aura for an extra 2 damage and later on Trample).

units that can basically solo Birthright using magic with minimal effort:

Corrin (obviously)
Hinoka (Falcon Knight/Basara)
Oboro (Basara)
Rinkah (Oni Chieftain)
Hayato (Basara/Oni Chieftain), Birthright enemies are so easy it doesn't even take effort to train him up

Saizo also can, but he has shurikens already so eh

hell someone even did a Felicia solo...mostly using her shitty strength and physical shurikens, you severely overestimate the stats required

Yoshi

I have not spent any time on grinding in either Birthright or Revelations (other than the support for Kaze in the beginning of Birthright, but this took three challenges) and Orochi was a very important part of my Birthright team, Hayato of my Revelations team. Yes, magic users are vulnerable, but you can cover them up and the enemies in Birthright are really conviently weak.

I really don't see the problem with armoured units. They are weak to so many characters, Kaden, magic users, Corrin, on top of that everyone is weak to Ryoma. Maybe that suddenly changes when playing Lunatic (I played everything in Hard), but in Birthright I always felt totally overpowered - though not as much as in the latter half of Revelations.

Yes, magic users are vulnerable, but you can cover them up and the enemies in Birthright are really conviently weak.
Loaded up my remaining Birthright save, average stats of the enemies:
General - 53 HP, 32 Str, 25 Skill, 35 Def, 18 Res
Great Knight - 50 HP, 30 Str, 21 Skill, 32 Def, 16 Res
Wyvern Lord - 46 HP, 28 Str, 28 Skill, 21 Spd, 30 Def, 11 Res
Berserker - 62 HP, 39 Str, 29 Skill, 30 Spd, 14 Def, 6 Res
Hero - 51 HP, 25 Str, 32 Skill, 27 Spd, 22 Def, 16 Res
All of them packing silver weapons and 11-14 MT ranged weapons.

You mention Kaden and magic users... Now, my Selkie was broken as I did an awful lot of grinding/reclassing with her. I can deal, at best (ignoring crits), 17 damage (x2) to those Hero units while taking 30 back. She deals between 0 and 4 damage (x2) to the General units. My Rhajat also has all the important stats in the 30s, she hits a General for 29 damage (x2), and is almost certain to receive 32 damage in exchange - she has 32 HP. Those Berserkers can OHKO everything but Ryoma if they hit.

How exactly are those enemies in any way "weak"? Orochi, Hayato and Rhajat are not surviving a single attack returned back at them with their defence levels, making every attack a 60-80% chance of death. Kaden/Selkie meanwhile can crit and dodge all they like, but they're not chewing through 35 Def.

Loaded up my remaining Birthright save, average stats of the enemies:
General - 53 HP, 32 Str, 25 Skill, 35 Def, 18 Res
Great Knight - 50 HP, 30 Str, 21 Skill, 32 Def, 16 Res
Wyvern Lord - 46 HP, 28 Str, 28 Skill, 21 Spd, 30 Def, 11 Res
Berserker - 62 HP, 39 Str, 29 Skill, 30 Spd, 14 Def, 6 Res
Hero - 51 HP, 25 Str, 32 Skill, 27 Spd, 22 Def, 16 Res
All of them packing silver weapons and 11-14 MT ranged weapons.

You mention Kaden and magic users... Now, my Selkie was broken as I did an awful lot of grinding/reclassing with her. I can deal, at best (ignoring crits), 17 damage (x2) to those Hero units while taking 30 back. She deals between 0 and 4 damage (x2) to the General units. My Rhajat also has all the important stats in the 30s, she hits a General for 29 damage (x2), and is almost certain to receive 32 damage in exchange - she has 32 HP. Those Berserkers can OHKO everything but Ryoma if they hit.

How exactly are those enemies in any way "weak"? Orochi, Hayato and Rhajat are not surviving a single attack returned back at them with their defence levels, making every attack a 60-80% chance of death. Kaden/Selkie meanwhile can crit and dodge all they like, but they're not chewing through 35 Def.

First of all, you're not even playing Lunatic, so LOL.

Second of all, look at the actual parameters you need to ORKO the generics in chapter 27 with magic (on lunatic, though the only change is a few HP, and even though really this should've ended at chapter 23 given everything afterwards is a quick bosskill):
level 15 Berserkers (x4): 38 attack/32 speed
level 16 Heroes (x4): 43 attack/32 speed
level 15 Generals (x6): 44 attack/16 speed
level 15 Great Knight (x4): 43 attack/21 speed
level 15 Bow Knight (x8): 47 attack/32 speed
level 15 Wyvern Lord (x4): 36 attack/26 speed
level 15 Malig Knight (x5): 44 attack/20 speed
level 15 Strategist (x2): 45 attack/29 speed
level 15 Dark Knight (x5): 44 attack/20 speed
level 20 Berserker (x3): 43 attack/35 speed
level 20 General (x1): 47 attack/18 speed
level 20 Sorceror (x1): 54 attack/28 speed
level 20 Maid (x1): 44 attack/34 speed

required parameters to ORKO all level 15-16 units: 47 attack/32 speed

spoilers: yeah any appropriately buffed up mage (or shuriken user, though they're not ORKOing like the mages) can go through these guys, how else do you think people do Birthright solos on Lunatic within a few hours?

First of all, you're not even playing Lunatic, so LOL.
*snip*
spoilers: yeah any appropriately buffed up mage (or shuriken user, though they're not ORKOing like the mages) can go through these guys, how else do you think people do Birthright solos on Lunatic within a few hours?
Since when were we discussing solo Lunatic runs? What do you want to use as the next metric, a speedrun route? The original discussion was about an average (first) playthrough, at this point you've swerved so far away from it that you're in another postcode. Of course any unit becomes usable if you feed enough EXP to it, but that's not the point. I've been routing RPGs for speedruns for years so I'm well aware of how you can brute force anything to work, it doesn't suddenly make it good for casual play however.

Here was the original point again: Under normal gameplay circumstances for an average person the best option to deal with armoured units in Birthright is going to be Ryoma, because the magic users aren't going to have the stats needed to survive an attack without a disproportionate amount of work put into them.

Final Chapter in Birthright : am I under leveled or is there any trick to it that I do not know of ?

My units just chip at dragon Garon's life bar while it one shots them

Since when were we discussing solo Lunatic runs? What do you want to use as the next metric, a speedrun route? The original discussion was about an average (first) playthrough, at this point you've swerved so far away from it that you're in another postcode. Of course any unit becomes usable if you feed enough EXP to it, but that's not the point. I've been routing RPGs for speedruns for years so I'm well aware of how you can brute force anything to work, it doesn't suddenly make it good for casual play however.

Here was the original point again: Under normal gameplay circumstances for an average person the best option to deal with armoured units in Birthright is going to be Ryoma, because the magic users aren't going to have the stats needed to survive an attack without a disproportionate amount of work put into them.

This was your first post that started the conversation:

There's nothing about a casual/first playthrough, and quite frankly whatever you want to define as the "average player" does not matter when talking about the effectiveness of magic.

Final Chapter in Birthright : am I under leveled or is there any trick to it that I do not know of ?

My units just chip at dragon Garon's life bar while it one shots them

Corrin+Ryoma+Takumi combined should be able to take him down from full health, if you can land a Hexing Rod on the boss Corrin alone is enough.

PK Gaming

Even on standard runs, Magic is ridiculously potent with very little effort because enemies have comically low resistance stats.

I mean for gods sake, a low magic character like Kagerou can trivialize Birthright.

This was your first post that started the conversation:

There's nothing about a casual/first playthrough, and quite frankly whatever you want to define as the "average player" does not matter when talking about the effectiveness of magic.

The discussion started when I asked for help on chapter 13 when I was having trouble with the 2 armored guys that guard the bridges and then rush down halfway through the level. Thanks to the advice here I just beat them, both in one phase :) thanks gaf!

The difference makers were:
  • Equiping Saizo with a Sting Shuriken
  • Taking Kaden along
  • Equiping Orochi with a Tiger Spirit

The other six armored guys didn't cause too much trouble and I was able to cruise through the rest of the level, hopefully a better player for it. Thanks again! Now to get stuck on chapter 14!

Corrin+Ryoma+Takumi combined should be able to take him down from full health, if you can land a Hexing Rod on the boss Corrin alone is enough.

Thanks I did this, Sakura's Hexing Rod + Corrin and his Yato sword.
The accuracy was so low I wondered if the ennemy was immune to it ha ha.

Speaking of RNG, I'm beginning Conquest, and it is bullshit. No way the real accuracy is represented by the displayed number.
Game looks interesting story and gameplay wise though

Not to say I'm stuck but Conquest 12 is proving tricky. I got right next to
Ryoma
with most of the crew but then I forgot Effie behind on a chokepoint and she was super debuffed by
stupid shurikens
and died. That was a few days ago and I forgot what all the vases do and now I can't be arsed.

NeonZ

Not to say I'm stuck but Conquest 12 is proving tricky. I got right next to
Ryoma
with most of the crew but then I forgot Effie behind on a chokepoint and she was super debuffed by
stupid shurikens
and died. That was a few days ago and I forgot what all the vases do and now I can't be arsed.

You just need to take Corrin to the exit in that stage.

Top Bottom