• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

So, I want to start my Conquest Hard/Classic playthrough and I can't decide which characters to choose.

Since I haven't used them yet, I absolutely want:
Camilla
Jakob
Laslow
Selena
Arthur
Charlotte
and Elise as a witch.

I'm not sure about Keaton (just don't like him) and Odin (seems pretty weak :/).
Also, are Siegbert, Dwyer, Velouria, Soleil, Ophelia and Percy worth it? I've already seen the other kids and didn't find most of them particularly interesting.

I already struggled with Hard/Casual so I'd really appreciate some OP units this time around. Any advice on reclassing and skills that I don't want to miss?

NeonZ

As far as reclassing goes, you can give a good boost to almost any 1st tier unit by giving them the DLC class seals right at the start, like the two lord classes, or Dread Fighter and Dark Flier, depending on their weapon set up. That gives them 2nd tier bases, while still keeping their experience gains the same. Dread Fighter is pretty useful if you want to try a physical Odin.

Conquest on Hard/Classic is pretty interesting as I play more tactical and rely more on buffs/debuffs and less on aggro tactics.

Is Mozu as interesting as Donnel to level up or is she just a worthless character ?

Any other tips for Conquest ? Thanks.

Xenoflare

Conquest on Hard/Classic is pretty interesting as I play more tactical and rely more on buffs/debuffs and less on aggro tactics.

Is Mozu as interesting as Donnel to level up or is she just a worthless character ?

Check skills on enemies before you engage them, this is vital.

Mozu.... is not good as a Donnel for me, although people did say that if you train her up as an archer she will be really good for chapter 10. I've seen some crazy Mozus as Dread Fighters but I never bothered using her.

patapuf

I must say i'm happy with conquest hard. There's been a few mistakes i made that were frustrating but overall this is the kind of evolution i wanted FE to have.

Map gimmicks you have to learn, skills you have to use and pay attention to if you don't want to die ect.

Most of the time, if you feel aggroing is impossible without loosing the unit there's better ways to attack.

One thing didn't change though, Generals are still the most OP unit in the game lol. Even though there's more magic weapons now.

There isn't any reason to use either Mozu or Donnel.

However if you insist there's always Dread Fighter for Mozu.

Training these up can be fun, but i couldn't be bothered for Mozu, she seemed even weaker than they usually are and i had enough others to babysit.

PK Gaming

So, I want to start my Conquest Hard/Classic playthrough and I can't decide which characters to choose.

Since I haven't used them yet, I absolutely want:
Camilla
Jakob
Laslow
Selena
Arthur
Charlotte
and Elise as a witch.

I'm not sure about Keaton (just don't like him) and Odin (seems pretty weak :/).
Also, are Siegbert, Dwyer, Velouria, Soleil, Ophelia and Percy worth it? I've already seen the other kids and didn't find most of them particularly interesting.

I already struggled with Hard/Casual so I'd really appreciate some OP units this time around. Any advice on reclassing and skills that I don't want to miss?

• Camilla. She is the single best character on Conquest. You must get the Dual Club in Chapter 10 (it's one of the villages) since you'll be able wreck sword & tome users.
  • Master Ninja, Malig Knight, and Cavalier are some of the best options for Corrin.
  • If you plan on using Laslow, reclass him into Ninja and make sure you give him an arm scroll. He'll snowball from there.
  • Defensive Pair Up is God here. Attack Stance is less useful, though still something you can use from time to time.
  • If you're set on using Jakob, I strongly recommend going with female Corrin (if you haven't already). On the male route he's basically worthless.
  • Kidwise, Percy (get him early), Velouria, Shigure and Midori are the best. The rest are okay while Kana, Soleil and Ignis suck.
  • Don't use Mozu, lol. Unless you really want to, of course. Don't use Charlotte either (outside of being pair up buddy for a physical unit)
  • +Mag or +Str are the boons to go. -Luk is the go to bane.
  • Definitely use Niles, one of the handiest units since he's responsible for your incoming and is a solid unit at that

Steejee

I'm just one of those people who chooses which characters to use based on looks.

I kinda the same way - mostly just go by looks/personality. Leads to me having some characters that I will doggedly try to keep afloat, and ditching brutally strong characters I dislike.

I'm still in Birthright, but I can already see myself not using Camilla based on her appearance alone. Hell I haven't been using Ryoma at all - don't dislike his looks/appearance, just don't care to use him.

On a related note, I've been trying to keep Reina in my run active, but I've had abysmal luck with her growths - multiple 1/2 stat level ups, and what growths she has gotten are all dumped into only 3 stats.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Doing this in Nohr can be very dangerous. If you decide to not use Xander (analogously to Ryoma) and really don't use Camilla, you are doing away with the best flying unit and the best overall unit, leaving you only with Leo, who is the best magic user, and one or two of the Generals wrt units that are guaranteed to be awesome.

Oxx

Doing this in Nohr can be very dangerous. If you decide to not use Xander (analogously to Ryoma) and really don't use Camilla, you are doing away with the best flying unit and the best overall unit, leaving you only with Leo, who is the best magic user, and one or two of the Generals wrt units that are guaranteed to be awesome.

Duly noted.

Hopefully waltzing through Birthright on Normal/Classic won't have given me too many bad habits.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
If I had to come up with a gameplay complaint about Fates, this would be it. The difference between the units that are meant to be awesome and the rest can be huge.

I beat conquest on hard and the only royal I used was Elise

• Camilla. She is the single best character on Conquest. You must get the Dual Club in Chapter 10 (it's one of the villages) since you'll be able wreck sword & tome users. Didnt use her in conquest, though she seemed good in revelations before I dropped her
  • Master Ninja, Malig Knight, and Cavalier are some of the best options for Corrin. My corrin bounces everywhere before falling back on great lord, hoshido noble(when possible based on campaign), or hero.
  • Defensive Pair Up is God here. Attack Stance is less useful, though still something you can use from time to time. I rarely used defense stance outside of the character I was using to lure enemies
  • If you're set on using Jakob, I strongly recommend going with female Corrin (if you haven't already). On the male route he's basically worthless. Just use Felicia, shes way cooler
  • Kidwise, Percy (get him early), Velouria, Shigure and Midori are the best. The rest are okay while Kana, Soleil and Ignis suck. Im not sure about percy and shigore since I didn't touch them, but my revelations Soleil is awesome, and yea velouria and midori are great
  • Don't use Mozu, lol. Unless you really want to, of course. Don't use Charlotte either (outside of being pair up buddy for a physical unit) Mozu turned out well in my conquest campaign and was a staple, but she was way worse in the other 2 campaigns. Charlotte is a fucking bamf though, in both conquest and revelations for me. It helps that I grabbed Certain Blow for her from My Castle though. Thatd be hard to get naturally since it requires a sniper male corrin
  • +Mag or +Str are the boons to go. -Luk is the go to bane. agreed
  • Definitely use Niles, one of the handiest units since he's responsible for your incoming and is a solid unit at that Niles stats fell off quickly as he levelled up. Drop him for his daughter

If I had to come up with a gameplay complaint about Fates, this would be it. The difference between the units that are meant to be awesome and the rest can be huge.

In Birthright anyone can become a god easily, in Conquest you can still train up the bottom tier scrubs without that much effort.

Revelation on the other hand...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I beat conquest on hard and the only royal I used was Elise
You don't HAVE to use the royals (not sure about Lunatic), but you're knowingly gimping yourself. Whereas in past games, most superior character traits are hidden away as good growths, this game clearly wants you to use the dude with the broken plot bow/sword or the one with the busted personal ability. Not to mention the whole dragon vein thing.

You don't HAVE to use the royals (not sure about Lunatic), but you're knowingly gimping yourself. Whereas in past games, most superior character traits are hidden away as good growths, this game clearly wants you to use the dude with the broken plot bow/sword or the one with the busted personal ability. Not to mention the whole dragon vein thing.

lololol what prepromotes have always been good

Well dragon veins were never an issue, my royals were still mating and making OP kids. That grind was a pain on conquest

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
lololol what prepromotes have always been good
Except over half of them were Jagens. You're making a gamble there. Also them gaining 1-2xp per kill told the player to use them sparingly.

In Fates, the royals have mostly higher growths, starting weapons that are much better than silver weapons, great passives, and the ability to activate dragon veins. Only the first of those advantages is invisible to the player. Characters like Takumi even gain xp at the same rate as the rest of your party.

Not even Seth could dream of having all of that.

PK Gaming

Except over half of them were Jagens. You're making a gamble there. Also them gaining 1-2xp per kill told the player to use them sparingly.

In Fates, the royals have mostly higher growths, starting weapons that are much better than silver weapons, great passives, and the ability to activate dragon veins. Only the first of those advantages is invisible to the player. Characters like Takumi even gain xp at the same rate as the rest of your party.

Not even Seth could dream of having all of that.

False claim. Jagens are pre-promotes that you get from the beginning, but they certainly don't account for the vast majority of pre-promoted units you get in a typical Fire Emblem game. In any case, the argument that pre-promotes wast experience was never a valid one consider they:

A) Soften up enemies for the player (Marcus)
B) Were simply so good that EXP was never wasted on them (Titania, Seth)
C) Join at a point where they gain normal EXP gain (Perceval, Pent, etc)
D) Contribute significantly (the vast majority of them)

I'd rather pour all of my EXP into someone like Percival then raise up Lyn or Mozu. Now that's wasted EXP.

• Camilla. She is the single best character on Conquest. You must get the Dual Club in Chapter 10 (it's one of the villages) since you'll be able wreck sword & tome users.
  • Master Ninja, Malig Knight, and Cavalier are some of the best options for Corrin.
  • If you plan on using Laslow, reclass him into Ninja and make sure you give him an arm scroll. He'll snowball from there.
  • Defensive Pair Up is God here. Attack Stance is less useful, though still something you can use from time to time.
  • If you're set on using Jakob, I strongly recommend going with female Corrin (if you haven't already). On the male route he's basically worthless.
  • Kidwise, Percy (get him early), Velouria, Shigure and Midori are the best. The rest are okay while Kana, Soleil and Ignis suck.
  • Don't use Mozu, lol. Unless you really want to, of course. Don't use Charlotte either (outside of being pair up buddy for a physical unit)
  • +Mag or +Str are the boons to go. -Luk is the go to bane.
  • Definitely use Niles, one of the handiest units since he's responsible for your incoming and is a solid unit at that

I was close to changing my mind about Camilla, but I guess I'll take her afterall. Laslow is already reclassed to Ninja and my Corrin will be soon. I'm won't use Shigure and Midori since they both were completely useless in my first playthrough.

Also, buying skills seems pretty broken. Actually feels like cheating.

Moonlight

Banned
I'd rather pour all of my EXP into someone like Percival then raise up Lyn or Mozu. Now that's wasted EXP.
You're not technically wrong (pre-promotes are better like 80% of the time) but there is a distinction between who's better to invest in and who you'd want to invest in.

Mozu doesn't exist principally to be good, exactly, she's sort of a journey makes the destination character where you raise her just... to raise her. And confirmation bias because of her skill and the upfront investment to get her going makes people think that means she's better than everyone else.

Lyn is because it separates cool people from the other, less cool people.

While I really like Mozu as a character, as a unit, you're better off investing the second seal into someone else especially in conquest where she's very difficult to level up without the DLC dread scroll. The second seal could be used to change Corrin into her magic class or allow Jacob access to the paladin class which is incredibly strong in the early game and you get units like Camilla, Leo and Xander as well as Shura and other units you are raising who can cover for whatever roll Mozu could play in the mid to late game.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
False claim. Jagens are pre-promotes that you get from the beginning, but they certainly don't account for the vast majority of pre-promoted units you get in a typical Fire Emblem game. In any case, the argument that pre-promotes wast experience was never a valid one consider they:

A) Soften up enemies for the player (Marcus)
B) Were simply so good that EXP was never wasted on them (Titania, Seth)
C) Join at a point where they gain normal EXP gain (Perceval, Pent, etc)
D) Contribute significantly (the vast majority of them)

I thought we were only talking about early game prepromotes; we were talking about how prepromotes have superior traits, but in the case of mid to lategame prepromotes, their stats line up with what the party would probably be at that moment. I wouldn't consider Pent and co. to be clearly superior the way Seth is, but rather just average at the point when they join.

Anyway this is veering off the point I was making, which was that in past games not using someone like Seth didn't feel nearly as bad as skipping on someone like Ryoma or Takumi because of how much they have going for them. This is NOT to say that good prepromotes (Jagen, Oifey or otherwise) didn't exist.

Not using Seth was trivial because enemies in Sacred Stones are pathetic from beginning to end and hit calculation was much more in the player's favor in the GBA games. You still had strong units like Franz and Tana who aren't easy to see at first glance because Seth is that strong.

I thought we were only talking about early game prepromotes; we were talking about how prepromotes have superior traits, but in the case of mid to lategame prepromotes, their stats line up with what the party would probably be at that moment. I wouldn't consider Pent and co. to be clearly superior the way Seth is, but rather just average at the point when they join.

Anyway this is veering off the point I was making, which was that in past games not using someone like Seth didn't feel nearly as bad as skipping on someone like Ryoma or Takumi because of how much they have going for them. This is NOT to say that good prepromotes (Jagen, Oifey or otherwise) didn't exist.

Why would anyone feel bad on skipping Takumi in Birthright? Even Ryoma's combat can be replicated well enough for like 80% of the game (again, in Birthright).

PK Gaming

But...it's the total opposite! Seth is like, the best unit in FE8 and easily in the top 5 out of the entire franchise. I actually played through FE8 without using Seth and it was marginally more difficult (until Franz and Vanessa became Gods). You can definitely get away without using Ryoma (and especially Takumi since he's merely a good unit) since it's not too difficult to break Birthright wide open with most of the units in that game.

You're not technically wrong (pre-promotes are better like 80% of the time) but there is a distinction between who's better to invest in and who you'd want to invest in.

Mozu doesn't exist principally to be good, exactly, she's sort of a journey makes the destination character where you raise her just... to raise her. And confirmation bias because of her skill and the upfront investment to get her going makes people think that means she's better than everyone else.

Lyn is because it separates cool people from the other, less cool people.

Very true. It's satisfying to raise a character of her archetype and have them pay off in the end. It's not like i'm going for super efficiency in every run, so I completely understand where you're coming from. It's just, "the pre-promotes are EXP drains" argument has always been off-base, imo.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Why would anyone feel bad on skipping Takumi in Birthright? Even Ryoma's combat can be replicated well enough for like 80% of the game (again, in Birthright).
Because the alternative is Setsuna and the only thing she has going for her is her speed. Also I don't know of a replacement for Raijinto being 1-2rng and gives +4str but I could be wrong there.

But...it's the total opposite! Seth is like, the best unit in FE8 and easily in the top 5 out of the entire franchise. I actually played through FE8 without using Seth and it was marginally more difficult (until Franz and Vanessa became Gods). You can definitely get away without using Ryoma (and especially Takumi since he's merely a good unit) since it's not too difficult to break Birthright wide open with most of the units in that game.
I agree. Seth is one of the best units to exist, but as an average player, you don't know that. You just see a strong unit that gets no exp. So logically, this is a tradeoff the player understands. Seth is strong, but he siphons exp from the rest of my characters. Yes, you could argue that you don't need the rest of the cast anyway, but that's not the point. His strength as the best unit ever is largely invisible. There is a decent argument for why the player would bench Seth and never look back.

Contrast this to Fates. The royals have so many tools that the player constantly feels like they made a bad decision if they don't use them. Let's say you prefer Setsuna over Takumi (like I do) despite how much better he is for most of the game. Every time I got to a Dragon Vein map, I lost a strategic option merely for choosing the archer that the plot deemed unimportant. Every time I had Hana dodge tank a choke, all I could think was man, having a 1-2rng sword that allowed me to followup would be amazing. The royals' strengths are much more prominent, even if they do not match up to Seth.

Again, my original point was that good units in the past were invisibly good, (and Seth's growths have him fall under this category) whereas royals in Fates have giant indicators over their heads telling the player to use them.

Because the alternative is Setsuna and the only thing she has going for her is her speed. Also I don't know of a replacement for Raijinto being 1-2rng and gives +4str but I could be wrong there.

After chapter 10, the alternative is Reina, in reality none of the bow users are seeing long-term use.

As for Ryoma, basically just modify this post:

Not using Ryoma is trivial because enemies in Birthright are pathetic from beginning to end and tonics and pairup tilt the playing field massively in favor of your units. You still have strong units like (really almost anyone else) who aren't easy to see at first glance because Corrin and Ryoma require even less effort.

Zebetite

Banned

i beat conquest using a shit ton of attack stance unless i was specifically trying to hold a choke against a bunch of dudes and maintain that attack stance is the One True Way To Play so nyah

bruh i thought you were team ophelia

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
After chapter 10, the alternative is Reina, in reality none of the bow users are seeing long-term use.
Idk, Takumi was instrumental in dealing with Lunatic wyverns, but that's anecdotal.

As for Ryoma, basically just modify this post:
That kind of agrees with my point. You have lots of viable dudes, but the player is meant to see that a few of the characters are painfully meant to be used.

PK Gaming

Contrast this to Fates. The royals have so many tools that the player constantly feels like they made a bad decision if they don't use them. Let's say you prefer Setsuna over Takumi (like I do) despite how much better he is for most of the game. Every time I got to a Dragon Vein map, I lost a strategic option merely for choosing the archer that the plot deemed unimportant. Every time I had Hana dodge tank a choke, all I could think was man, having a 1-2rng sword that allowed me to followup would be amazing. The royals' strengths are much more prominent, even if they do not match up to Seth.

Again, my original point was that good units in the past were invisibly good, (and Seth's growths have him fall under this category) whereas royals in Fates have giant indicators over their heads telling the player to use them.

Setsuna is the exception, not the rule. Even if you disregard Takumi, she's still an aggressively poor unit who's outclassed by Reina as well. Also, singling out Hana for being worse than Ryoma is completely unfair because Ryoma outclasses just about every physical grounded unit in Birthright, not just Hana. Also why are you trying to dodge tank with Hana? It's too unreliable.

If anything Fates (if you disregard Revelations) arguably the best unit balance franchise. Pretty much every unit can contribute, even on Lunatic (contrast that with say... FE6 or FE10, where like a good 70% of the units are unusable). It has more "invisibly good" units than most of the games in the franchise since people are still under the impression that Hayato and Rinkah are bad.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
If anything Fates (if you disregard Revelations) arguably the best unit balance franchise. Pretty much every unit can contribute, even on Lunatic (contrast that with say... FE6 or FE10, where like a good 70% of the units are unusable). It has more "invisibly good" units than most of the games in the franchise since people are still under the impression that Hayato and Rinkah are bad.
Hey, totally agree here even with Rinkah. Let me put it this way, my point isn't that Fates has no invisibly good units. My point is that Fates has too many units that are visibly good. The message it sends to the average player is "you're a dumb ass if you don't use this unit with the +4str 1-2rng sword or the archer that ignores terrain (on top of the other visible advantages they get)". And regardless of whether they turn out good or bad the player will feel some amount of regret for not using them. Moreso than dropping an early prepromote that siphons exp.

PK Gaming

Hey, totally agree here even with Rinkah. Let me put it this way, my point isn't that Fates has no invisibly good units. My point is that Fates has too many units that are visibly good. The message it sends to the average player is "you're a dumb ass if you don't use this unit with the +4str 1-2rng sword or the archer that ignores terrain (on top of the other visible advantages they get)".

I mean, that message is loud and clear, but I feel like most people playing just want to use their favorites. Regardless if that means using suboptimal units.

I do agree that Xander and Ryoma's legendary weapons are way too ridiculous (they didn't need 1-2 range), but I definitely don't mind the fact that characters like Leo, Camilla, etc are good units. Fujin Yumi is totally acceptable too.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I mean, that message is loud and clear, but I feel like most people playing just want to use their favorites. Regardless if that means using suboptimal units.

I do agree that Xander and Ryoma's legendary weapons are way too ridiculous (they didn't need 1-2 range), but I definitely don't mind the fact that characters like Leo, Camilla, etc are good units. Fujin Yumi is totally acceptable too.
I just want to field Setsuna and not be constantly reminded of how bad she is. That's what this all boils down to. =(

omlet

Well, I finished up Conquest Hard/Classic Mode tonight after several breaks from frustration and other games. Gameplay-wise it certainly felt like a good evolution from Awakening (in particular, no more weapon durability is the best thing the series has done in forever), but the cast and story were all a downgrade.

I made it (with multiple restarts on several missions) to the endgame without any deaths. Lost Beruka and Kaze on the last mission (incidentally, or perhaps not, they were married) but without being able to save in between I don't feel like going for a win with them alive right away. In hindsight I went way too quickly on that mission (didn't engage a single reinforcement, but they were right on my heels the entire time, so it was 10 turns or less, I think)

Before Fates came out I tried to start a replay of Awakening just to kinda brush the FE rust off, so I started on Normal instead of Hard and was really let down by how boringly easy it was. Due to how grueling Conquest was on a first time through, I'm curious...I've heard Conquest is the hardest, so how do the other routes stack up against Conquest (and Awakening) on the different difficulties?

TL;DR: Setting aside the ability to grind or not, are the other routes easier than Conquest on Hard mode? I want to play them but I'm not in the mood for another reset-fest like several of the more frustrating missions in Conquest were
fuck you takumi

NeonZ

Yes, the other routes are easier than Conquest Hard. Even Lunatic Birthright is easier than Conquest Hard, and so is Revelation, unless you actually attempt to use the units that are heavily gimped on that route (the level distribution of the units in Revelation is really bad and random, with some units carrying over from their original routes in spite of joining at completely different times while others are boosted or even downgraded for no good reason).

Xenoflare

Yes, the other routes are easier than Conquest Hard. Even Lunatic Birthright is easier than Conquest Hard, and so is Revelation, unless you actually attempt to use the units that are heavily gimped on that route (the level distribution of the units in Revelation is really bad and random, with some units carrying over from their original routes in spite of joining at completely different times while others are boosted or even downgraded for no good reason).

Yeah Conquest hard is a real bitch.

Had to replay a map where I got quite a few great level ups including a perfect level for Odin but ugh

I do not want to know how inevitable end is going to do to me on Lunatic, I think I'll pass.

Birthright Hard for me was easier than Conquest normal sans chapter 24

patapuf

I skipped all lords sans elise on conquest hard and have decent sucess with Setsuna (though i do think i got lucky with lvl ups). I also intenionally only have one general. I aparently also got the two worst kids in Kanna and Deere because i was lazy with my romances (i always am).

I may have gimped myself a bit too much (i'm like mission 22) but i'm so used to things being a bit too easy that I couldn't help myself.

But if i get sick of it it's not like leo or xander wouldn't be up to par in one mission or two.

Yoshi

You won't have to restart often in Birthright or Revelations. Both are really, really easy. Birthright is consistently easy, Revelations starts a bit more difficult due to weak units being available in the beginning, but gets trivial from mission
where you are complete your royal army.

Yoshi

The very first thing I do in every Fire Emblem is to turn off the animations the moment it is possible. And all other speed options (if any) to maximum.

Top Bottom