• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

patapuf

The very first thing I do in every Fire Emblem is to turn off the animations the moment it is possible. And all other speed options (if any) to maximum.

I don't do it immediately but as soon as i have to restart for the first time, animations have to go.

The last time i played a full campaign with animations was on one of the GBA games.

The crit animations the 3d models do suck as well, so there's even less incentive to watch them :p

Setsuna was super disappointing. I really wanted to use her but couldnt justify her with those stats, especially on revelations. I really didn't even use archers after a while. Let sakura kill flyers when I really needed the bow bonus damage, otherwise I used Ninjas or mages for ranges

Wait, Camilla is supposed to be the nuts? I must've been sleeping on this one, I just pulled her back out on the conquest chapter with the wind currents and she appeared to be suffering pre promote issues compared to Beruka and maybe Percy who I also have lying around as early level promoted Wyvern folk. Guess I'll give her more of a push.

Also now that most of my units are promoted I noticed Felicia just keeps going beyond lvl 20 as a maid, so should I reclass her to something or just drop her? she was doing pretty well as a second healer and dagger lobbing lass but she seems to be becoming a liability now outside her S rank with Corrin.

Wait, Camilla is supposed to be the nuts? I must've been sleeping on this one, I just pulled her back out on the conquest chapter with the wind currents and she appeared to be suffering pre promote issues compared to Beruka and maybe Percy who I also have lying around as early level promoted Wyvern folk. Guess I'll give her more of a push.

Also now that most of my units are promoted I noticed Felicia just keeps going beyond lvl 20 as a maid, so should I reclass her to something or just drop her? she was doing pretty well as a second healer and dagger lobbing lass but she seems to be becoming a liability now outside her S rank with Corrin.
Camilla growths are really good. swapped her to a wyvern lord and she did really well there. In revelations I was swaping her around to get skills and did really well as a Sniper until I moved her back to wyvern lord before ultimately dropping her (Granted the only reason I dropped her was because I was working on a berserker spam army and didnt realize she could get berserker from Beruka friendship and I wasted her A+ on Selena). My beruka on conquest ended up really bad, so if I was going to stick with one there it would have been Camilla. It was odd to me because at first Beruka's stats were looking really good, but then they jsut fell off. Beruka has a really good personal skill too.

Luckily my Beruka in Revelations did make an awesome Berserker

patapuf

So...am I the only one who thinks Fire Emblem is better off without all the fanservice bullshit?

I think the costume design is mostly awful and the face rubbing is dumb (and takes way to long to skip) but if that's whats needed to make Fire Emblem popular i can live with it.

I just wish they'd have better writing and dialogue. I don't mind it being light hearted fun, but make it good light hearted fun.

Javier

So...am I the only one who thinks Fire Emblem is better off without all the fanservice bullshit?
I don't mind fanservice in small doses since it's always been part in some way of the franchise. It's just that fanservice in general has become more prominent, so the series kind of adapted to that.

I agree some of the designs look pretty bad. I don't mind ones like Camilla or Charlotte since it kind of fits their respective characters, but Sophie is beyond stupid.

I don't mind fanservice in small doses since it's always been part in some way of the franchise. It's just that fanservice in general has become more prominent, so the series kind of adapted to that.

I agree some of the designs look pretty bad. I don't mind ones like Camilla or Charlotte since it kind of fits their respective characters, but Sophie is beyond stupid.
Stop saying Charlotte's design fits her character.

It does not.

Just got this a few hours ago and made it to the chapter where Hoshido characters are introduced.

They seem like Mary Sues already. Glad I got Conquest.

Especially Ryoma. Fucking Ryoma. I'd be Lv10 already if not for all the kills he's stolen from me.

PK Gaming

She's pretty stacked (lol)

A pre-promote unit with high base stats, but a lower internal Level (15 + 0) means she gains EXP like crazy. She's got high movement, hits hard, is fast, can handle just about any enemy with Axes + Dual Club, can go Wyvern Lord and dominate even harder (she can flat out solo chapter 19 with a beast killer). Ninjas are the enemy™ and axes beat them so she's extremely effective in maps where they're a pain. Chapter 10 would
have been a hell without her. Her only flaw is her sketchy HP growth, and a single Seraph Robe + constant HP tonic use fixes that forever. If you really want to see her go nuts, pair her off with Keaton, who gives her enough Strength and Speed to ORKO most enemies (and the resulting Velouria is pretty OP too).

Re: Felicia

Felicia and Jakob are special; instead of hitting the level 20 cap, they cap at level 40 instead. This means they can be in a promoted class, but gain normal EXP which is pretty goddamn incredible. But their combat falls off due to their poor growths, so i'd strongly recommend keeping her permanently attached to Corrin as a pair up option.

I seriously find it hilarious for Hoshido to be "peace loving" and chivalric considering medieval Japan was the poster child of military aggression, and basically was for a few hundred years or so until it got its shit kicked in in 1945.

Nohr seems like a far more accurate depiction of Japan so far, sans for being European.

Sölf

Man, a friend of mine is currently playing birthright on Hard/Classic for the first time and raging hard at chapter 13, because he didn't know that he doesn't get mages in Hoshido and that Diviner are the equivalent for them. He thinks the game should have done a better job telling you that those are basically mages, but I dunno, I don't see a problem with that because FE changes up classes and weapon triangles and stuff like that like every other game anyways.

omlet

Camillia and Beruka were both solid for me on my Conquest play. I classed them both up but didn't reclass them. Beruka's skill rating hit cap so combined with her named axe she was a reliable critter with good strength, defense, HP, and mobility, and her personal skill made her good for blasting archers that didn't have support. I gave her the brave axe to compensate for her lower speed. Camillia was strong, but her defense was lower than Beruka's, so I'd mainly use her late game as clean up or support, not front line. Edit: Or mage hunting, since she had good RES compared to Beruka.

As for Felicia, I just left her as maid in Conquest. Her speed was still decent so she was useful the entire game as a healer who could deal good strong finishing blows with Flame Shruiken. She definitely can't take hits, though, so you do have to be careful with her. I married her to Xander in my game because I liked their skits. I never really used them together as pair-ups since their stats didn't really compliment each other.

Ahnez

Finished nohr hard/classic yesterday and started hoshido, also hard/classic

What a difference lol nohr was Thracia 776/Radiant Dawn - level frustrating, and hoshido is a breeze so far

Golnei

I seriously find it hilarious for Hoshido to be "peace loving" and chivalric considering medieval Japan was the poster child of military aggression, and basically was for a few hundred years or so until it got its shit kicked in in 1945.

Nohr seems like a far more accurate depiction of Japan so far, sans for being European.

I doubt their dynamic was intended to be some secret apologia for imperial Japan, but grafting a knights vs. samurai skin on their story was responsible for some regrettable implications. Some actual worldbuilding beyond surface-level aesthetics would have helped a lot there, though. As it is, it's set up as if pure, radiant peaceful Japan and the evil all-devouring Western hordes of darkness are just fundamental universal constants of the world that exist without context.

Stop saying Charlotte's design fits her character.

It does not.

I know fan redesigns are easy to mock, but I honestly do think this version of Charlotte's costume is a better fit for her persona.

tumblr_nq0w0bld2A1rgeqp5o1_1280.png

Though I still think her default is a better fit than Effie or Sophie's mysterious pantslessness, even if it doesn't make total sense.

I doubt their dynamic was intended to be some secret apologia for imperial Japan, but grafting a knights vs. samurai skin on their story was responsible for some regrettable implications. Some actual worldbuilding beyond surface-level aesthetics would have helped a lot there, though. As it is, it's set up as if pure, radiant peaceful Japan and the evil all-devouring Western hordes of darkness are just fundamental universal constants of the world that exist without context.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't some of the original Japanese names for Hoshido's characters themed after Japan's WW2 fighter-planes?

EDIT:

I was wrong. It wasn't planes. It was aircraft carriers and battleships.

At least this is what people on TVTropes claim to be the reason for some of the name changes.

...But yeeeeeah, that's a whole can of worms on the resurgence of Japanese Nationalism under the Abe Administration that probably ought not be opened in this thread.

She's pretty stacked (lol)

A pre-promote unit with high base stats, but a lower internal Level (15 + 0) means she gains EXP like crazy. She's got high movement, hits hard, is fast, can handle just about any enemy with Axes + Dual Club, can go Wyvern Lord and dominate even harder (she can flat out solo chapter 19 with a beast killer). Ninjas are the enemy™ and axes beat them so she's extremely effective in maps where they're a pain. Chapter 10 would
have been a hell without her. Her only flaw is her sketchy HP growth, and a single Seraph Robe + constant HP tonic use fixes that forever. If you really want to see her go nuts, pair her off with Keaton, who gives her enough Strength and Speed to ORKO most enemies (and the resulting Velouria is pretty OP too).

Re: Felicia

Felicia and Jakob are special; instead of hitting the level 20 cap, they cap at level 40 instead. This means they can be in a promoted class, but gain normal EXP which is pretty goddamn incredible. But their combat falls off due to their poor growths, so i'd strongly recommend keeping her permanently attached to Corrin as a pair up option.

Camillia and Beruka were both solid for me on my Conquest play. I classed them both up but didn't reclass them. Beruka's skill rating hit cap so combined with her named axe she was a reliable critter with good strength, defense, HP, and mobility, and her personal skill made her good for blasting archers that didn't have support. I gave her the brave axe to compensate for her lower speed. Camillia was strong, but her defense was lower than Beruka's, so I'd mainly use her late game as clean up or support, not front line. Edit: Or mage hunting, since she had good RES compared to Beruka.

As for Felicia, I just left her as maid in Conquest. Her speed was still decent so she was useful the entire game as a healer who could deal good strong finishing blows with Flame Shruiken. She definitely can't take hits, though, so you do have to be careful with her. I married her to Xander in my game because I liked their skits. I never really used them together as pair-ups since their stats didn't really compliment each other.
Taking all this info on board, thanks.
(also ShadowSoldier89's post)

On a random note I'm at chapter 22 right now and I've barely got any marriages going on in my team, granted I think i've also left morecharacters dead in this run than any other FE game so that hasn't helped the matchmaking.

RedZaraki

Banned
Can we talk about just how awesome some of the Quality of Life features Fire Emblem offers now?

It's really incredible, and I hope other SRPGs use these in the future. Things like:

- Showing all enemy attack zones at a push of a button.
- Highlighting specific enemy attack zones.
- Showing Unit stat totals at a glance.
- Simple combat math so you have full information of enemy hit and avoid rates turns ahead of time.

It's pretty great, and makes you realize that most losses are attributed to gaps in your own planning. And random enemy crits, but what you gonna do.

ohlawd

finally finished Revelation. the penultimate chapter had me reset for an hour lol. I don't like changing my strategy >_>

I can't really rank the three routes. they're all the same. the most memorable chapters were those shitfests in Revelation but even then I can't dock points. guess I'll finish up the rest of the DLC now

Lynx_7

Can we talk about just how awesome some of the Quality of Life features Fire Emblem offers now?

It's really incredible, and I hope other SRPGs use these in the future. Things like:

- Simple combat math so you have full information of enemy hit and avoid rates turns ahead of time.

It's pretty great, and makes you realize that most losses are attributed to gaps in your own planning. And random enemy crits, but what you gonna do.

For real though.
Took me a while to adapt to FFT and DeSu after I was done with Conquest/Birthright, they just lack so many of FE's little conveniences. FFT with its abstract damage calculation and being completely unable to move, see the battle forecast and then cancel your movement particularly bothered me.
Even past FE titles makes me miss being able to do options 1 and 2 from your list at the same time.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey guys I finshes Conquest Hard Casual a whole ago, I'm thinking of the Revelations DLC... I want a challenge, how is Lunatic Casual or Hard Classic? Which would yall recommend.

RedZaraki

Banned
Hey guys I finshes Conquest Hard Casual a whole ago, I'm thinking of the Revelations DLC... I want a challenge, how is Lunatic Casual or Hard Classic? Which would yall recommend.

Just bumping to Classic Hard is a challenge. Beating every map without losing a unit.....that takes some strategy! Can't just run and gun and use meat shields. Need to actuallly have real tanks, form ranks, and lure enemies out.

omlet

Tips for the Hinoka chapter in conquest? Those fliers who can move 12 squares are kicking my ass :(

The one where they get the bonus movement and your foot troops get slowed down? I found that one to be relatively straightforward: I split into 2 groups and kept very tight formation so that I never had stragglers who were easy targets. Defensive pairups are important for turns that the fliers will be able to close the gap and reach your units. Pounce on the fliers when they get in range because if given one or two turns beyond initial contact you're going to lose lower defense units to them. IIRC there is no need to rush on that map.

Shinypogs

Yeah Conquest hard is a real bitch.

Had to replay a map where I got quite a few great level ups including a perfect level for Odin but ugh

I do not want to know how inevitable end is going to do to me on Lunatic, I think I'll pass.

Birthright Hard for me was easier than Conquest normal sans chapter 24

Honestly inevitable end ninja are countered by niles and/or nina with shuriken breaker and lucky seven. Rip ninja. Also Benny becuase when you have 50+ armour even a full found of Debuffs from each unit isn't chewing through his armour and the poison strike and grisly wound damage can be healed.

It's the staff users with enfeeble and inevitable end in the endgame who are hell. That said there is a certain satisfaction to beating lunatic. .

In other news while doing a new conquest hard run (of justice!) I'm also playing path of radiance and missing dual strikes but laughing at mounted units who can move after attacking and how fucking broken Soren is. Apparently if I put vantage on him as well as the adept he already has he'll be even better. Also laguz got nothing on keaton and velouria.

PK Gaming

It's the reason why I don't get mad when losing at the end of a map. It doesn't take too long to get back to where you were (SKIP ENEMY TURN is the best feature)

Contrast that with a game like FE6 where an untimely crit will cause me to Hulk out

Frost_Ace

The one where they get the bonus movement and your foot troops get slowed down? I found that one to be relatively straightforward: I split into 2 groups and kept very tight formation so that I never had stragglers who were easy targets. Defensive pairups are important for turns that the fliers will be able to close the gap and reach your units. Pounce on the fliers when they get in range because if given one or two turns beyond initial contact you're going to lose lower defense units to them. IIRC there is no need to rush on that map.
Welp, that worked perfectly. Thanks. Now I'm at Ryoma's chapter, my master ninja corrin can take him on quite easily but I don't want to miss out on the exp. How the hell do I beat the hallway of death? :(

omlet

Welp, that worked perfectly. Thanks. Now I'm at Ryoma's chapter, my master ninja corrin can take him on quite easily but I don't want to miss out on the exp. How the hell do I beat the hallway of death? :(

I tried that mission about 10 times and ultimately deemed it not worth the risk to push hard into the right side. You're probably going to need several freeze/debilitate staff users to have half a chance. What I did was pair Effie up with Silas (Great Knight + S rank) so her defense was super high. The ninjas could bring her down to 1 HP but most units on that side could not hit through her defense rating to actually kill her. Add in some trickery with Rescue staff and I was able to clear about half of the 8? guys who are in that area (not counting the boss escorts). Didn't push farther than that (had Corrin finish soloing boss around turn 23 or 24). Tip: Give Corrin a Rainbow Tonic for this mission.

Still playing Conquest, very slowly. Chapter 21.

I'm killing enemies.

I'm not getting EXP. WTF?

e: Is this because they're reinforcements? If so, that's bullshit. They can kill me, why don't they give EXP?

Xenoflare

Still playing Conquest, very slowly. Chapter 21.

I'm killing enemies.

I'm not getting EXP. WTF?

e: Is this because they're reinforcements? If so, that's bullshit. They can kill me, why don't they give EXP?

If you check their skills, you will find that the reinforcements all have a skill that negates any exp gain for your units that engage them. This is to prevent people using this chapter as a grinding chapter as the reinforcements are endless

Edit: Relevent wiki page https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Void_Curse

Shinypogs

Team all the crit is coming along nicely. Arthur and ophelia are the most reliable crit monsters thus far. Oni savage mu tending towards dragon fangs over crits for the time being. Death blow will help with that later on before I swap to blacksmith. Percy refuses to crit but I know it's just a matter of time. I pick up keaton next chapter and he and his daughter have both been good crit units in the past. Niles needs a killer bow for more crits but for now reliable doubling suffices. Lodestar laslow hadn't been on the team long enough to judge.

On the downside no one but Niles and camilla have res stats worth a damn so until ophelia picks up more res and elise promotes those two will have to take on mages.

I really really wish you got more than 9 save slots. There are too many team combinations possible in all the routes to be limited to so few permaanent records of them. Also I'd kill for a class randomizer .

Mephala

I was somewhat enjoying the story right up until the ending in Birthright. The best part of the ending was
riding the pegasus with Hinoka
but otherwise what a bore and let down. Did I fuck up somewhere? Was I supposed to pair some people off in a specific way? Is it just a troll to make you want a proper resolution in Revelations Path DLC?

NeonZ

I was somewhat enjoying the story right up until the ending in Birthright. The best part of the ending was
riding the pegasus with Hinoka
but otherwise what a bore and let down. Did I fuck up somewhere? Was I supposed to pair some people off in a specific way? Is it just a troll to make you want a proper resolution in Revelations Path DLC?

Yeah, both Conquest and Birthright basically end hinting at some stuff from the Revelation path, but without the characters pursuing it, which is rather cheap. Birthright's ending pushes it forward even more though with the subplot and scene
focused on Azura's death, while in Conquest it's a more secondary element, where she just disappears off screen.
They easily could have written more conclusive endings that didn't have scenes just to advertise Revelation.

Oxx

I'm approaching the end of Birthright. I think I'll take a nice long break before tackling the other paths. I'm in no rush. This game can last all year.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I've considered replaying Awakening... But there's no point right? Everything in Fates is better from a gameplay perspective, is there really any compelling reason to go back to it? They did such a great job with Fates, I feel like they made Awakening obsolete.

omlet

I've considered replaying Awakening... But there's no point right? Everything in Fates is better from a gameplay perspective, is there really any compelling reason to go back to it? They did such a great job with Fates, I feel like they made Awakening obsolete.

Well, the cast is better, and so is the writing.

Not Revelation!

tauroxd

That was my thinking too... But I really want to replay Awakening sometime in the future and...

Well, the cast is better, and so is the writing.

...I probably think this is the case, not like SUPER better, but it sure is better.

NeonZ

But it is not by much. It is not a night and day difference.

Eh, Fates' story is bad in a very different way though. Awakening's story was bad because it became extremely rushed during 2/3 of the game, resulting in a lot of set up in the first few chapters going nowhere and a very barebones story. Fates story doesn't suffer from that, but the story itself is just mostly disliked overall anyway due to various storytelling choices.

In the end, going after a guest writer was a big mistake.

Golnei

Shared blame would be more appropriate than pinning it on that decision - weren't some of the most detested aspects of the game storywise completely out of his hands/already in place before he was hired?

omlet

Awakening's story may feel kind of rushed but it's largely a series of sensibly connected dots. Yeah, the time travel thing is kind of goofy and you can nitpick things but even with that added bit of complexity the overall plot is relatively straightforward, and better off for it, and the cast's progress/choices through the story generally makes sense.

None of the above can be said about Fates
except Corrin siding with Norh making sense huehue

NeonZ

Shared blame would be more appropriate than pinning it on that decision - weren't some of the most detested aspects of the game storywise completely out of his hands/already in place before he was hired?

The route split idea came from IS, and they also tweaked the routes to make them more parallel to each other (like adding Hinoka just to have the same number of siblings in each side) but the overall story and some of the most disliked elements, like the episodic storytelling and the throne plot device in Conquest were from Shin Kibayashi himself.

Awakening's story may feel kind of rushed but it's largely a series of sensibly connected dots. Yeah, the time travel thing is kind of goofy and you can nitpick things but even with that added bit of complexity the overall plot is relatively straightforward, and better off for it, and the cast's progress/choices through the story generally makes sense.

Awakening has an invasion from another continent that ends up going nowhere taking the entire middle section of the game (and due to how rushed all chapters there are, the other continent ends up really bland and flavorless too) and all the stuff in the early chapters about Chrom's father and Plegia ends up forgotten. They don't even end up giving an explanation for Plegia following a dragon that wants to destroy all of mankind.

Top Bottom