• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Shinypogs

Awakening sits in that meh middle ground for me where it's gameplay is not as good as fates and it's story and characters are less compelling than path of radiance. Though I do still love Vaike , Henry and Frederick.

I need to go back and finish awakening but I really regret buying it becuase I don't think it will have the replay value for me that the other games do.

I hope IS doesn't learn the wrong lesson from the fates games success . There's a lot of good that happened they should carry forward but most of that is mechanical (I'd be okay if killer weapons still broke though. Say they are made of a special material that can only take so much use before it's integrity is lost).

Single story would be preferable the future but I'd be ok with two games if they did the x lord goes y route thing and each story felt complete on it's own. I'd much rather have my avatar supporting a lord with proper development and goals then be the main focus if it makes the games better again.

patapuf

Awakening's story is mostly bland and boring with flat characters.

Fates just doesn't make sense and many characters are actively annoying.

It's not that big a deal though, the story compensates in spades elsewhere and there's some funny support stuff.

Draxal

I think the overall feedback that IS got from Fates is the story that's it horrible.

I do think the story suffers from certain design decisions that were hamfisted in (POCKET CASTLES AND GAIDEN CHAPTERS FOR KIDS).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One thing Fates has going for it over Awakening is the general aesthetic. Awakening is very safe high fantasy whereas Fates goes for a very stylized Japanese/Roman aesthetic with Hoshido and Nohr, respectively.

I'm new to Fire Emblem and currently on Chapter 10 in Birthright. Do you guys have any tips or recommendations?
Use tonics and pairup all the time, 1-2 range with doubling is god (aka magic/shurikens/Raijinto), don't try to use everyone and focus on a core group of units.

(and don't be afraid to use your statboosters)

NeonZ

I do think the story suffers from certain design decisions that were hamfisted in (POCKET CASTLES AND GAIDEN CHAPTERS FOR KIDS).

The castle and the Gaiden chapters' story excuses really seem like they were created exactly to avoid hurting the main story though. They're there, but the main story pretty much acts like they aren't, aside from an introductory scene. They could basically reuse those story excuses to throw those features in a Path of Radiance remake, for example, without touching the actual story at all - and that might have been the idea behind those excuses here in the first place, since the story outline came from an outside collaborator.

The main issue is that Fates' story turned out to be flawed in general, so their attempt to avoid twisting the story around them ends up feeling worthless.

For the recent Heirs of Fate mini DLC campaign, they just went with Awakening's writer, which might indicate they might avoid a guest writer set up next time. Although they might have used him there just because there would be a smaller budget for those DLC chapters compared to the main game.

NZerker12

Use tonics and pairup all the time, 1-2 range with doubling is god (aka magic/shurikens/Raijinto), don't try to use everyone and focus on a core group of units.

(and don't be afraid to use your statboosters)

I'm still learning the terms and mechanics but what do you mean by 1-2 range with doubling?

Sorry for the noob question.

Xenoflare

I'm still learning the terms and mechanics but what do you mean by 1-2 range with doubling?

Sorry for the noob question.

1-2 range means the weapons that can attack both enemies next to you or one space away, like tomes and shurikens

doubling means that your character strikes twice due to a speed advantage of 5 or more

Shiggy

The writing in this game is surprisingly bad. I've only played Awakening, but I remember it being better there. I'm just skipping the character-specific conversations now.

And the cutscene in which Camilla appears was also quite a Wtf moment. I have no issues with sexualisation, but it felt pretty out of place in this game.

I have to agree in that I recall enjoying the supports and such in Awakening even if the main plot was ehhhhhh.
But Conquest's dialogue thus far has been misfiring on all fronts, maybe with a slight exception for if Arthur is involved.

Steejee

Just beat Birthright (Hard/Classic), and was rather underwhelmed. Ending felt like I had just finished one of the fake endings in a Castlevania game and I need to go do something to unlock the real ending... which I guess is true as in this case I need to play Revelations. Story as a whole never felt like it had much momentum, and the whole bit with
Elise sacrificing herself and Xander still being like 'Must fight to death anyways!'
annoyed me.

Still enjoyed the strategy well enough, and grinding up characters for no reason other than that I enjoy pairing them up and getting every godlike.

Onward to Conquest soon, and my inevitable ignoring of Camilla...

Forget Ch. 10.
Forget Ninja Hell Pt. 1.
Forget Ch. 25 through (Inevitable) Endgame.
Forget Entrap staves and lol Entrap on Golems.

None of this, NONE of this compares to my struggles with Royal Royale using Leo. Done it with all the other royals -- even Sakura whom I somehow had an easier time with than Hinoka or Takumi -- but Leo? I can't. I just can't. OTZ

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How's the children DLC for this game?

NeonZ

How's the children DLC for this game?

Overall, although short, it's a better final campaign than Revelation, IMO. It's also technically a direct sequel to both Conquest and Birthright.

Although there's the issue that you don't actually use your own child units, but generic versions just for those maps.

McNum

Been out of the game for over a week due to personal reasons, but I'd like to finish up Conquest soon. But then I saw that the Witch class is out in Europe and got my free sample from Anna.

Looking at the skills... Warp. "Move adjacent to any ally, does not end turn."

That sounds disgustingly useful. That sounds like something Elise really wants to be able to do. Spend three levels as a Witch to gain Warp? She'll want her Staff proficiency back ASAP, but the ability to slap a Mend on anyone, anywhere, no matter where she is on the map is just... I need that.

McNum

It's as overpowered as it sounds.
Do you get to move after it, or is Warp "just" infinite move, then you act?

It does sound disgustingly powerful, and that's even before considering what it means when you pair someone up with the Warp user...

It does sound disgustingly powerful, and that's even before considering what it means when you pair someone up with the Warp user...

You'd rather have it on a combat unit than Elise lol

McNum

You'd rather have it on a combat unit than Elise lol
Maybe so, but when it comes to female units with a decent magic stat I got Elise, Camilla, and Felicia. Pickings are slim Nohr-side. And honestly, Camilla's magic performance in battle is... disappointing this game. Now if I could make Leo a Witch, it would be awesome, but I can't.

The Witch has to be able to pull her weight while leveling to get Warp. Elise could, she's my secondary magic blaster after Leo when she's not busy doing the Staff thing. Camilla probably could, and she probably wears the hat better, but Felicia doesn't know anything about Tomes, so she'd be a weak Fire slinger for her levels.

demidar

You can't move after you use it (but you can move before you warp, not that that means anything), but you gain access to the menu/attack after warping.

Means you can load a healer on your Witch, warp the pair to someone who needs healing, switch to healer and heal them. Then on the next turn switch back to Witch, port out and unload the healer.

My MC just has Nosferatu so she can teleport anywhere and block hallways/kill entire groups.

If Elise hit S-rank tomes as a Witch, armed with Ember and Calamity Gate, she'd be a dodge-tanking god even greater than Ryoma! It's just that she absolutely has to dodge everything that isn't a magic attack...

(Get Ophelia)

McNum

Well, got a Warp capable Elise. That's just silly. And paired up with anyone, she can hot-drop any character near anyone at any time.

So, a Xander/Camilla spearhead to charge at the enemy can suddenly be reinforced with a Swordfaire Yato-wielding avatar ready to have words with them.

...I just had a silly idea for how to beat the next map. (Conquest 23)
I might actually just air-warp the Avatar on Takumi. Fly Camilla up there, switch to Xander. Warp Elise+Avatar to Xander. Then take the fort from behind. Because I can.

I've considered replaying Awakening... But there's no point right? Everything in Fates is better from a gameplay perspective, is there really any compelling reason to go back to it? They did such a great job with Fates, I feel like they made Awakening obsolete.

There's definately a point.

Fates has the gameplay down.

Awakening, on the other hand...

well, every other facet of the game isn't fucking straight up embarrassing like in Fates
I mean, that writing, god damn. It's not like Awakening's got the best writing in the world, but going from Fates to Awakening is like going from... Breath of Fire 2, to Shining Force 2. It's a world of difference.
And the characters and plot scenarios aren't complete trash either. Which is way more than I could say about any of Fate's campaigns.

I liked Fates, and from a gameplay perspective it's got Awakening beat (though not by too much - it's mostly that Fates has largely well designed maps and Awakening doesn't), but Awakening is the full package.

Any tips for Conquest 27/endgame? That merchant with spendrift is gonna be the death of me.

Forget about him and just kill the boss. Skipping some XP is gonna do the opposite of killing you here. :p

More detail. No real spoilers:
Ideally, you'll want all 16 members of your army in the side chambers so they can use the stairs to escape when the Merchant of Death (and his enforcers) come to collect. You can pre-select 8 of them to fight the Swordmasters and Spearmasters through Pair Up. The Sorceror, Sniper, Berserker, and Ninja fights though are a little trickier to control. Haven't found a consistent way to force a particular pair to get Entrapped, so you'll probably want to balance your pairings a bit around possible bad matchups. At worst, you'll have to have them barely survive while the eight you sent to fight the Swordmasters and Spearmasters try to go for an early boss kill.

As for Endgame, good luck. :p

Shiggy

Have just started Conquest. Seems to be a bit better story-wise, and gameplay-wise it's miles better. After Birthright I thought that I would not go for the Revelations path in the end, now I'm not sure anymore.

Frost_Ace

Forget about him and just kill the boss. Skipping some XP is gonna do the opposite of killing you here. :p

More detail. No real spoilers:
Ideally, you'll want all 16 members of your army in the side chambers so they can use the stairs to escape when the Merchant of Death (and his enforcers) come to collect. You can pre-select 8 of them to fight the Swordmasters and Spearmasters through Pair Up. The Sorceror, Sniper, Berserker, and Ninja fights though are a little trickier to control. Haven't found a consistent way to force a particular pair to get Entrapped, so you'll probably want to balance your pairings a bit around possible bad matchups. At worst, you'll have to have them barely survive while the eight you sent to fight the Swordmasters and Spearmasters try to go for an early boss kill.

As for Endgame, good luck. :p
Completed the first part, I just sent benny to weaken the spearmen and the merchant. Garon was easy with my master ninja corrin and the help of the spy shuriken. Lost in endgame cuz I don't understand how Takumi attack works.

EDIT: I think this is a map where I have to go FAST. Tried to turtle the first time but it didnt work

NeonZ

I wanna try Ballistician because it's so gimmick-y.

But I don't want to spend any more money so *shrug*

You can still get it for free in another game file.

I liked Fates, and from a gameplay perspective it's got Awakening beat (though not by too much - it's mostly that Fates has largely well designed maps and Awakening doesn't), but Awakening is the full package.

Nah, Awakening's problems weren't only the map design. Some of its core systems, like pair up, were unbalanced (not only due to being solely superior to not pairing up, that doesn't even bother me, but there was also the issue that they didn't seem to consider the brave weapons at all while balancing it, so they ended up better than the unique legendary weapons) and then there were the high defense dark mages with Nosferatu.

omlet

EDIT: I think this is a map where I have to go FAST. Tried to turtle the first time but it didnt work

You may be able to beat it by turtling if your whole team is pretty buff but I think you are right about going fast. As in, the-reinforcements-never-even-catch-up-to-you fast. The trick is doing it before people get picked off... Edit: As in, the trick is getting your strong units to Takumi quickly without leaving your weaker ones too far behind and then lining up just out of his range to make a concentrated push. Once you get to Takumi you're only gonna get like 1 turn to beat him otherwise the reinforcements close the gap (and you're left on the defensive for a turn inside his 4 tile range, which is no bueno).

bman94

I have to vent, cause I almost threw my 3DS against a wall. I was playing chapter 14 in Birthright. Perma death, hard difficulty.

Everything was going perfect, I made all right moves, several units leveled up and I was damn near to the end of the map. Literally 6 enemies left including the boss with almost no health left.

A bow enemy was not budging at all so I inch my player character 1 tile to coax him to attack Ms so I could scoop up the kill the next round. Player character is at full health by the way. THEN A PIECE OF SHIT FIGHTER ENEMY COMES TO MY PLAYER CHARACTER A GETS A FUCKING CRITICAL AND KILLS ME. A FUCKING HOUR OF PROGRESS LOST OVER ONE SHITTY CRITICAL. GOD DAMNIT

CazTGG

I have to vent, cause I almost threw my 3DS against a wall. I was playing chapter 14 in Birthright. Perma death, hard difficulty.

Everything was going perfect, I made all right moves, several units leveled up and I was damn near to the end of the map. Literally 6 enemies left including the boss with almost no health left.

A bow enemy was not budging at all so I inch my player character 1 tile to coax him to attack Ms so I could scoop up the kill the next round. Player character is at full health by the way. THEN A PIECE OF SHIT FIGHTER ENEMY COMES TO MY PLAYER CHARACTER A GETS A FUCKING CRITICAL AND KILLS ME. A FUCKING HOUR OF PROGRESS LOST OVER ONE SHITTY CRITICAL. GOD DAMNIT

Welcome to Fire Emblem, where the RNG hates you and everyone you know!

McNum

It's true. The Fire Emblem AI is set up for spite. It doesn't want to win as much as it wants to make you suffer.

So, I'm trying to kit up my avatar for Conquest Endgame, and I just need to figure out if I want to give him Dragon Fang or Astra for his offensive skill. Dragon Fang activates more and isn't total suicide against enemies with Counter. Astra, however, either kills the target or fills the shields in one go, nullifying the next enemy attack if I'm in a defensive Pair Up.

Currently he's Sol, Draconic Hex, Astra/Dragon Fang, Swordfaire, and Hoshidan Unity,

Because equipping Hoshidan Unity on a Nohr game is funny. It means the activation rates are 35% for Sol, 22% for Astra, and 28% for Dragon Fang.

It's true. The Fire Emblem AI is set up for spite. It doesn't want to win as much as it wants to make you suffer.

So, I'm trying to kit up my avatar for Conquest Endgame, and I just need to figure out if I want to give him Dragon Fang or Astra for his offensive skill. Dragon Fang activates more and isn't total suicide against enemies with Counter. Astra, however, either kills the target or fills the shields in one go, nullifying the next enemy attack if I'm in a defensive Pair Up.

Currently he's Sol, Draconic Hex, Astra/Dragon Fang, Swordfaire, and Hoshidan Unity,

Because equipping Hoshidan Unity on a Nohr game is funny. It means the activation rates are 35% for Sol, 22% for Astra, and 28% for Dragon Fang.

1. nice skill buying
although buying Hoshidan Unity just to lower the number of resets required for that last bosskill isn't the worst thing in the world
2. just skip the whole map and rush the boss with Corrin, and use Astra and Dragon Fang

PK Gaming

Turn off animations and mash start during enemy turns

You'll get back to where you were in no time

bman94

What made it so infuriating was that it wasn't even a high crit. It was like 11% and he was only supposed to take like 15 damage or something.

Turn off animations and mash start during enemy turns

You'll get back to where you were in no time

This will probably be the direction that I'll have to go. But damn I needed some time away to cool off.

McNum

So, I take it that Conquest 27 is the point of no return, just like Birthright 27 was?

Got several people dinging 20/20 last mission. (Conquest 26)
That second to last room with the Generals and Berserkers (and Hans) was brutal. When a reset happens because they got Effie, you know they hit hard.

But all that's left is the finale now, I think. Plan more or less being that Xander charges ahead along with Kana, and the Avatar takes the Elise-Warp to catch up when they reach the boss. Anything that can stand up to a combined assault of Kana, Xander and the Avatar is way too strong. Kana is there for Draconic Hex so Xander and the Avatar gets to hit for 8 more damage... each. Anything wrong with that plan? I will, of course, have them chug Tonics on the Endgame preparation screen. I'll probably spend all my Stat Ups on those three in the castle, too.

What made it so infuriating was that it wasn't even a high crit. It was like 11% and he was only supposed to take like 15 damage or something.

This will probably be the direction that I'll have to go. But damn I needed some time away to cool off.
Just wait till you get hit by 1% crits or start missing 90% plus hit rates. I honestly don't know which feels worst.

Just wait till you get hit by 1% crits or start missing 90% plus hit rates. I honestly don't know which feels worst.
tbh far more frustrating to me is when I die because I unexpectedly crit

Like I can try to play around enemy crits but I feel like there isn't much I can do when an allied crit ruins a strategy for me and I have to reset

McNum

Good old "Death by Awesome". When you really need your unit to leave the enemy alive so they can block access, so you only get hit once. And then your unit does a critical, clearing up the tile, and thus letting another unit finish them off.

Also, I learned something. If the game has been running for 40 hours, the online features stop working. I never really thought about it, I just set the 3DS in standby whenever I was done playing. But apparently, the game needs to restart every 30-ish hours or so.

I'm gonna head into the endgame for Conquest tonight. Any last moment tips on what not to do? I plan to rush. Xander, Kana, and the Avatar should be able to deal with any and all boss enemies, Dragonskin or not they may run into. Just need to figure out who gets those three pairs of Boots I have. Thinking two for Kana, one for Xander, maybe. The Avatar will just warp in once Xander gets there, so he doesn't need one.

Frost_Ace

Good old "Death by Awesome". When you really need your unit to leave the enemy alive so they can block access, so you only get hit once. And then your unit does a critical, clearing up the tile, and thus letting another unit finish them off.

Also, I learned something. If the game has been running for 40 hours, the online features stop working. I never really thought about it, I just set the 3DS in standby whenever I was done playing. But apparently, the game needs to restart every 30-ish hours or so.

I'm gonna head into the endgame for Conquest tonight. Any last moment tips on what not to do? I plan to rush. Xander, Kana, and the Avatar should be able to deal with any and all boss enemies, Dragonskin or not they may run into. Just need to figure out who gets those three pairs of Boots I have. Thinking two for Kana, one for Xander, maybe. The Avatar will just warp in once Xander gets there, so he doesn't need one.

Use tonics, freeze staves are useful for slowing down the enemy paladins paired up, use entrap/silence on the great master with the hexing rod.

McNum

Use tonics, freeze staves are useful for slowing down the enemy paladins paired up, use entrap/silence on the great master with the hexing rod.
...stupid Hexing Rods. It's kind of funny, there's nothing else in the entire game that I fear going up against more than a Hexing Rod. There's nothing to do if you get hit by one of those, right?

Honestly, if there's one thing I miss in Fates, it'd be a status-clear staff. Remove stat penalties and other debuffs. That would be a great staff to have since especially stat debuffs are so common in this game.

Top Bottom