• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Frost_Ace

I did play Fates: Conquest while on hoiliday (so no internet for tips) and did have to dial it from hard down to normal (guess the chapter
yep that defence map
) and my feeling of normal was "phoenix mode is great, they don't have to hold back on casual or classic anymore".

As for chapter 26. In my case due to reclassing a lot the units I was to great knight for skills (not great with a load of hammers and beast killer equipped enemies) it meant I had to do an absurd strategy of opening the bottom room then running my army round the entire map for a few laps separate out the enemy units and defeat them one by one. The trick is not to get too far ahead of the enemy or else the furthest behind ones will come at you from the other way. I just wanted to share that funny strategy :p

Amazing. Lol.

I was lucky and reclassed Xander to hero so he did have access to his sword and hammers himself. He basically solo'd the entire bottom room with the occasional help from Benny.

The room with the Sorcerers was also beat by one person, Leo, with seal magic and nosferatu.

Oh gosh I actually beat conquest, I've never run such a ragtag operation in this series.
The credits are rolling and boy look at the amount of retirements, outnumbering remaining units.

We fought a true war, but at what cost?

neoemonk

I'm on Chapter 16 in Conquest and I keep losing my money. This is upsetting.

Once I finish this, should I play Birthright or jump right into Revelations?

Shinypogs

Oh gosh I actually beat conquest, I've never run such a ragtag operation in this series.
The credits are rolling and boy look at the amount of retirements, outnumbering remaining units.

We fought a true war, but at what cost?

Grats on beating it, I can assure you in time you'll go back and do a no death death run and lunatic runs for the challenge because it's really just so satisfying to outmaneuver the game.

CazTGG

Honestly, it's more likely that Nintendo would announce they're bringing the Gaiden-Fuuin entries over to the NA Virtual Console than it is for them to add Roy or Corrin Amiibo support for Fates given how long Roy has been out with zero interest on Intelligent Systems' part on adding him to If.

NeonZ

They haven't added Roy even to Mario Maker. Maybe they were waiting for a chance to make a big announcement like this? Although, yeah, it's unlikely overall. Adding Roy to Fire Emblem Fates likely would mean another DLC map with his class as a prize too though, so they could get money from it in multiple ways.

Gee whiz this Revelation Chapter 13 is a humdinger*, the dragon vein says it drains the water, not opens the fiery maws of hell as units pour in from every possible angle.

I'm coming to the conclusion that ninjas are some of the the most annoying enemy mooks in the series, the perfect meatshields for the CPU to utilise. In a game where the likes of javelins can no longer be used at close range the ninja tools remain usable at both ranged and close combat, and they stack debuffs and sometimes come with that venom afterbite skill to boot
So basically a mob of ninjas aiming at one unit can easily bring them down, and yes this chapter has had me fail multiple times now because Corrin gets gradually wrecked at the end by the barrage of shurikens.

Contemplating whether it's worth diving out for this chapter, going for one more prologue chapter and then master sealing units. Typically I was always a wait until lvl 20 guy for this but with the introduction of skills and what not would it make more sense to be promoting units around 15 or so?

edit: *or you just fly strong units across the river making it a cakewalk

So if you get hit with the immovability status does that effect dodging as well?
Because my entire plan with captain dodge a lot Ryoma failed at the end of the revelation chapter with the blue and red areas that change enemy types.
I planned to use him to lure away the mobile boss without killing him so I could open the final two chests, 30% chance of dodge it said! so of course I get hit which then in turn inflicts an immovable status on him and he didn't dodge any of the following 4 attacks until he croaked.

See problem with no attack animations is the enemy phase is mystery dodge, where you can't see the percentage for some reason.

McNum

The Freeze Staff at least sets dodge to 0, so if it acts the same way, yes.

In my own game, I've been thinking that I should make it a priority to have a fifth skill on Azura for later games, but I'm not entirely sure what would be good on her. She doesn't fiht much, unless she can get an easy kill for sport, so with the interest of marrying for a class or A+ for one, do anyone have a recommendation for Songstress Azura's final skill?

I'm thinking... Locktouch. She's almost always on the map, she has little to do on some turns, and it's always nice to have a thief or similar along. For future games, having that be her would be nice. Plus, I get to see what Master Ninja Azura looks like, which in itself would be amazing to see.

It would be Warp, but that doesn't save, so... eh.

I'm not enjoying the 'strategy' of limited resources in Conquest.

The difficulty spikes post-chapter 20 are crazy, and there's nothing you can do to overcome them besides hoping the dice roll in your favour on the next go-around. No grinding, buying different weapons...so what then?

I'm sure it can be beaten with very careful planning, but that would be such a departure from the other missions that it just feels like limited game design instead. Quite disappointed with it, to be honest.

Birthright on the other hand was way too easy. I'm close to giving up on it and selling my special edition.

Is Revelations the game/challenge level I'm looking for?

I'm not enjoying the 'strategy' of limited resources in Conquest.

The difficulty spikes post-chapter 20 are crazy, and there's nothing you can do to overcome them besides hoping the dice roll in your favour on the next go-around. No grinding, buying different weapons...so what then?

I'm sure it can be beaten with very careful planning, but that would be such a departure from the other missions that it just feels like limited game design instead. Quite disappointed with it, to be honest.

Birthright on the other hand was way too easy. I'm close to giving up on it and selling my special edition.

Is Revelations the game/challenge level I'm looking for?

You're not supposed to win Conquest maps with brute force. Each map has a winning strategy, and the fun part is discovering it on your own. There are plenty of guides out there to help you, so you can use those if you are stuck.

The Castle system still allows you to grind items, weapons, and supports, so you have more than enough to win in Conquest.

Revelations allows you to grind, so you have to decide how much you want to challenge yourself or trivialize the game.

Anustart

After being stuck on Birthright chapter 24 for months of do an attempt or two every couple weeks, I beat it. Then accidentally beat chapter 25 on my first attempt. Little wizard teleported Ryoma over to the boss for an easy kill.

Now I'm frustrated again on seemingly the last mission. First one is super easy, second I lose a guy and have to start both over again. Be next year before I beat it.

You're not supposed to win Conquest maps with brute force. Each map has a winning strategy, and the fun part is discovering it on your own. There are plenty of guides out there to help you, so you can use those if you are stuck.

The Castle system still allows you to grind items, weapons, and supports, so you have more than enough to win in Conquest.

Revelations allows you to grind, so you have to decide how much you want to challenge yourself or trivialize the game.
Alright thanks. I don't think I was brute forcing anything up to this point; I did maybe two missions outside of the main story while playing Birthright. Maybe Conquest's type of challenge just isn't my type of fun.

Status staves, rallies, auras, and tonics boost the combat of all of your units. Positioning is vital in a lot of instances, too.

Enemy skills and weaponry get even more crazy in later chapters, so hopefully you're used to checking for that stuff.

Shinypogs

Freeze lowers your avoidance by 20 but doesn't completely negate it. Hence why some people will try a freeze staff on Kotaro because his avoid is bullshit.

A character with high enough avoid shouldn't be crippled by it but if they are also facing weapon triangle disadvantage then they are more likely to to get nailed.

Also just to be clear:
Avoid = your chance to not get hit
Dodge = your chance to not get hit by a crit.

Confusing the two can and has killed people before :(

I actually didn't know the difference between avoid and dodge, in fact dare I admit in all my years of playing this series I kind of glanced over the two similar sounding things.
As you may guess, I'm not one of those players who is about maximising unit potential.

In other news I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE TRUSTED THAT RED DOOR, GOD'S NOOOO!
For all the hate I've seen thrown at Rev 24 I'm surprised to find it pretty okay, I mean sure you could try and agonisingly stealth your way....or you just lure out the reinforcements into a grand mugging for EXP.

McNum

Endgame Revelation, should I keep Rahjat as a Witch or reclass?

Also, what's better, +2 Mag or Tomefaire?
For damage, it's Tomefaire. The *faire skills are a flat +5 to damage when wielding the proper weapon type. It's wonderfully powerful, especially when you can double and just outright do 10 more damage than you would otherwise. Getting Swordfaire for your Avatar is... amusing.

Mag +2 has is uses, it affects staves and such, but if those are worth sacrificing 3 damage per attack for is questionable.

Frost_Ace

Welp, just bought revelations. Hope it'll be as fun as conquest.

EDIT: any advice for the campaign? Which bonus class I go for? Went for ninja in conquest and it was pretty fun. Thinking of trying oni savage...

McNum

Welp, just bought revelations. Hope it'll be as fun as conquest.

EDIT: any advice for the campaign? Which bonus class I go for? Went for ninja in conquest and it was pretty fun. Thinking of trying oni savage...
Samurai is fun. It has Swordfaire in the Swordmaster promotion. As mentioned above, it combines well with the Yato already being a pretty nice sword. Especially in Revelation. It does make the Dragonstone kind of lonely, though. If you've chosen a flaw that isn't Magic, you get really deadly with a Levin Sword, too.

L95

I was thinking of going +mag/-luck basara for rend heaven and then reclass to nohr noble.

Why malig knight exactly if the yato isn't usable?

I'm not sure of the poster's intent, but I think they are implying you are going to want many flying units for Rev... I know I wanted more flying units

I love that due to one of the particular gimmicks of Revelation Chapter 26 I was able to use a Roman Empire esque tortoise formation to speed up to the boss.

Oboro and Hinata share the truest love, one that allows Oboro to dodge and block 8 attacks in one turn, the CPU thought it was the chink in the armor but their bond is the greatest defense of all.

So I just bought Conquest due to a 40% off sale in Canada this week, but I'm having second thoughts due to the supposed difficulty level. The only SRPG I've played is Stella Glow, and I did manage to beat that But will I likely be in over my head trying to play Conquest as my first Fire Emblem experience? Should I have gone for Birthright, even though it looks less interesting to me? I suppose I can buy Birthright as dlc when I get to the choice point and play that first lol

So I just bought Conquest due to a 40% off sale in Canada this week, but I'm having second thoughts due to the supposed difficulty level. The only SRPG I've played is Stella Glow, and I did manage to beat that But will I likely be in over my head trying to play Conquest as my first Fire Emblem experience? Should I have gone for Birthright, even though it looks less interesting to me? I suppose I can buy Birthright as dlc when I get to the choice point lol

You should be alright. Minus a few annoying parts here and there, Conquest is a mostly fair game and the better of the two versions in my opinion. I mean, it's still a pretty hard game even on normal difficulty, but it's not absurdly hard or anything like that.

So I just bought Conquest due to a 40% off sale in Canada this week, but I'm having second thoughts due to the supposed difficulty level. The only SRPG I've played is Stella Glow, and I did manage to beat that But will I likely be in over my head trying to play Conquest as my first Fire Emblem experience? Should I have gone for Birthright, even though it looks less interesting to me? I suppose I can buy Birthright as dlc when I get to the choice point and play that first lol

you'll be fine, Conquest normal isn't that difficult and there's always the free DLC+online shop/skill stuff+casual mode if you really need help don't do phoenix mode or I'll judge you though

also Conquest protips:

1. Xander and Leo want +speed pairups/speed tonics
2. if you pick female Corrin, paladin Jakob is awesome
3. don't try to use too many units (basically don't constantly rotate people in and out)
4. don't be afraid to relegate units to pairup bot, that means more exp is freed up for the rest of your units
5. the Yato isn't actually important gameplay wise until endgame (this is all routes really)

preta

Don't worry. You made the right choice. Conquest is definitely the best of the three parts of Fates. And while it's also the hardest of the three, it's not bland and boring like Birthright or cheap and unbalanced like Revelation.

Frost_Ace

Play it on normal and you should have an awesome experience.

I started revelation and I already miss the tightness of Conquest :(

Xenoflare

Conquest normal is harder than Birthright hard for me, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The Canadian sale had it for $30 no? The DLC path is $25 each.

Conquest normal is harder than Birthright hard for me, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The Canadian sale had it for $30 no? The DLC path is $25 each.

Yes, $29.99 at best buy. I was going to get Birthright but it was sold out. The only reason I was going to get it is because it's easier, and I'm nervous lol this genre is so new to me. But Conquest does look a lot more appealing to me, and you all have convinced me to give it a chance.

CazTGG

You should be fine, don't be ashamed to use Casual or Phoenix mode given that it's your first time and enjoy some of the best maps the series has to offer. Skip the story
(especially once you get to Chapter 15).

As an aside, it's currently on sale on Amazon for 29.99 at the moment.

Yeah but why would you do that when you could buy it on the eShop for $25(?)

Didn't know it was on sale there, for one.

Frost_Ace

Revelation isn't been so great so far. i had fun with the last chapter though (the ice boat level), but now I have the problem that I don't know which characters to use.

My takumi had some pretty shitty level ups, mozu trumps him in every regard. Should I keep using him for the fujin yumi?

Which of the three ninjas should I use? Kaze while frail is the only one who constanlty doubles everyone.

Is Reina worth using?

What about Selena and Beruka?

Hero

For damage, it's Tomefaire. The *faire skills are a flat +5 to damage when wielding the proper weapon type. It's wonderfully powerful, especially when you can double and just outright do 10 more damage than you would otherwise. Getting Swordfaire for your Avatar is... amusing.

Mag +2 has is uses, it affects staves and such, but if those are worth sacrificing 3 damage per attack for is questionable.

Thanks!

Revelation isn't been so great so far. i had fun with the last chapter though (the ice boat level), but now I have the problem that I don't know which characters to use.

My takumi had some pretty shitty level ups, mozu trumps him in every regard. Should I keep using him for the fujin yumi?

Which of the three ninjas should I use? Kaze while frail is the only one who constanlty doubles everyone.

Is Reina worth using?

What about Selena and Beruka?

Takumi is pretty boss, I can only imagine his promotion into a sniper would make him killer and make up for any crappy level ups.

I've found that Revelations really pushes you to use the Royal family characters. The only ninja I have is Kagero and that's solely so that Ryomo is a killing machine on the battlefield.

I managed to take Kagero to the endgame of Rev at lvl 20 so she had her moments, brittle as anything though.

Don't do what I originally did with Takumi and make him into that flier unit, I was so enamoured with the novelty of "what the hell is this non Pegasus flying thing?!" that I spent a few chapters trying to make it work, so of course half the flying units you'd be good against are also bow wielders themselves.
Reclassing back to Sniper was the right choice.

I managed to take Kagero to the endgame of Rev at lvl 20 so she had her moments, brittle as anything though.

Don't do what I originally did with Takumi and make him into that flier unit, I was so enamoured with the novelty of "what the hell is this non Pegasus flying thing?!" that I spent a few chapters trying to make it work, so of course half the flying units you'd be good against are also bow wielders themselves.
Reclassing back to Sniper was the right choice.

l
o
l

Kinshi all the way in Revelation, Fujin Yumi doesn't allow him to pass through air

TannerDemoz

you'll be fine, Conquest normal isn't that difficult and there's always the free DLC+online shop/skill stuff+casual mode if you really need help don't do phoenix mode or I'll judge you though

also Conquest protips:

1. Xander and Leo want +speed pairups/speed tonics
2. if you pick female Corrin, paladin Jakob is awesome
3. don't try to use too many units (basically don't constantly rotate people in and out)
4. don't be afraid to relegate units to pairup bot, that means more exp is freed up for the rest of your units
5. the Yato isn't actually important gameplay wise until endgame (this is all routes really)

Can I add that Keaton is insanely OP?

Top Bottom