• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Lunar15

It's a deliberate choice by the staff, not a random omission: By not allowing the player to move difficulty up, it ensures that the player can't just lower the difficulty to get by one chapter and then move it back up in the next.

Now, whether or not that's valid is a completely different argument. Personally, I wouldn't care. It doesn't alienate me, I just wouldn't use it.

JCX

So if I download conquest, then download the others later, do I use the same MC in all versions, or can I have a Male MC in one and Female MC in another?

Neoweee

It's a change that would alienate a good amount of old school players, and there's little pay off for doing so (unlike other changes).

Why would it alienate old school players?

They are only ones that have any meaningful knowledge or experience to know which difficulty settings are right for them.

Kinsei

Banned
So if I download conquest, then download the others later, do I use the same MC in all versions, or can I have a Male MC in one and Female MC in another?

They give you the option to make a new Corrin and skip right to the choice.

Draxal

Why would it alienate old school players?

They are only ones that have any meaningful knowledge or experience to know which difficulty settings are right for them.

It's considered a badge of honor to complete harder modes in these series (which is identified by the spotpass/streetpass tags that are sent out for this game), by changing the difficulty to get past a notoriously hard stage it's gaming that system.

JCX

They give you the option to make a new Corrin and skip right to the choice.

Thanks. Glad it's more flexible.

For those who have played Awakening, I played it on Hard mode. Is Conquest on Hard tougher than Awakening on Hard? Right now I'm thinking about doing Birthright on Hard and Conquest on Normal.

y33hZX0.png

The Eldest Nohr Daughter, she rides with her partner Marzia as Nohr's Wyvern Knight. She loves her siblings more than anyone else and she loves to bathe.
She's also a closet sadist.
ccky.gif

Neoweee

It's considered a badge of honor to complete harder modes in these series (which is identified by the spotpass/streetpass tags that are sent out for this game), by changing the difficulty to get past a notoriously hard stage it's gaming that system.

There's multiple options that other developers have done to address this.

1) Make the highest difficulty immutable (can only be selected at the start of the game), or can't even knock it down. This is what Atlus does.
2) Have the game note if you've been on something from the start, and reward or note that somehow. This is what Witcher and Bioware do.

This isn't exactly new territory for RPGs.

There's multiple options that other developers have done to address this.

1) Make the highest difficulty immutable (can only be selected at the start of the game), or can't even knock it down. This is what Atlus does.
2) Have the game note if you've been on something from the start, and reward or note that somehow. This is what Witcher and Bioware do.

This isn't exactly new territory for RPGs.

Sure they can do that in a future game. (Witcher/Bioware option is better than the Atlus option imo)

GeekyDad

Downards but not upwards.

Wish it was neither. As much time I spent with Awakening, I can't remember if it allowed for that or not, but I hate when games let you do that. I know the argument all too well, but that's just my personal preference. The challenge feels too artificial like that.

pariah164

What a wonderful thing to wake up to.

Shun, you are a magnificent human being. This is one of the best OTs I've ever seen.

B51Srds.gif

Bravo, good sir/madam.

Is there any way to get the Fire Emblem Fates home menu icon and title screen WITHOUT the Birthright or Conquest subtitles? Or am I stuck with the Conquest logo while I'm playing Birthright/Revelations.

GeekyDad

It's a deliberate choice by the staff, not a random omission: By not allowing the player to move difficulty up, it ensures that the player can't just lower the difficulty to get by one chapter and then move it back up in the next.

Now, whether or not that's valid is a completely different argument. Personally, I wouldn't care. It doesn't alienate me, I just wouldn't use it.

Ah, so if you lower down, you can't go back up to what you started with? I didn't realize that. That I'm okay with. I can definitely feel for people who have invested time into a game and feel it's gotten too difficult but still want to finish. But yeah, the other way is just leaving a cheat hole for players. That's not fun.

Is this a good Fire Emblem to join the saga?

I never played one before, but I want to give it a try.
I have a n3ds so I'm looking to try one there.

Lunar15

Ah, so if you lower down, you can't go back up to what you started with? I didn't realize that. That I'm okay with. I can definitely feel for people who have invested time into a game and feel it's gotten too difficult but still want to finish. But yeah, the other way is just leaving a cheat hole for players. That's not fun.

Well, that was my understanding. I haven't actually gone and checked, so I could very well be wrong.

It's mostly on Hard Mode that I hear complaints about. On Normal it is pretty reasonable?

You seem like a series veteran, so I assume you did Hard/Classic on your first run.

Nope, total scrub. Though I do play a lot of strategy/tactics games, I doubt I would get very far on Hard.

Kinsei

Banned

Yeah. I'd say the only bad one to start with (that was released in NA and EU) is Radiant Dawn because it's a direct sequel.

From what I understand, this is as good a point as any! I don't think it has any story connections to previous games. I would recommend starting with the Birthright version though, "Conquest" is kind of intended for long-time fans while Birthright is intended to be a bit more accessible.

Astral Dog

Why should it not matter? The second and third routes take very little SD space and a majority of the space is from the retail cart or from the initial version you bought. It is not recommended to get 2 retail carts because they do not give you benefits. Deal with it.

:O but how does this work? Are the two other parts less than Awakening?

Busaiku

Why should it not matter? The second and third routes take very little SD space and a majority of the space is from the retail cart or from the initial version you bought. It is not recommended to get 2 retail carts because they do not give you benefits. Deal with it.

The first 6 chapters are the same across all 3.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I literally don't get Amazon sometimes. Just got off the phone and they told me the game was set to arrive tomorrow because of release date shipping. But when you choose release date shipping it's defaulted to two-day shipping and it hasn't shipped out yet and to top it all off it's coming from fucking California to Texas? Correct me if I'm wrong but the logic is flawed. If it's set for two days then this isn't guaranteed to come tomorrow especially considering the distance. The hell? Why would you promise release day shipping and let this kind of dumbass shit to happen?

NeonZ

Corrin has alt costumes? Are there any pictures of those?

The first post is wrong about that. Corrin has two body builds per gender, hair style and face options, but there's no "several special outfits exclusive to Corrin".

There's an accessory shop, but any unit can use that, it's just stuff like glasses, hats or shoulder pads, no actual full outfits... aside from swimsuits, which were removed from the localized version, apparently. Those swimsuits only appeared in the hotsprings or after armor break anyway (the game uses the default for those now, with no extra options in the store apparently).

Most assets are shared. For example, even though each kingdom has their own classes, each game effectively has all classes stored since you'll be facing them as enemies anyway (or could get them as extra units by visiting another player's castle). Same thing goes to character's voices and other related assets. It's mostly the unique maps, bgm and CG events that would need to be downloaded afterwards.

All three parts are full-length, 30-40+ hour campaigns. They've probably just optimized the asset situation pretty well so that the file size for the other versions aren't too huge.

mrjohill

The first post is wrong about that. Corrin has two body builds per gender, hair style and face options, but there's no "several special outfits exclusive to Corrin".

There's an accessory shop, but any unit can use that, it's just stuff like glasses, hats or shoulder pads, no actual full outfits... aside from swimsuits, which were removed from the localized version, apparently. Those swimsuits only appeared in the hotsprings or after armor break anyway (the game uses the default for those now, with no extra options in the store apparently).

Ah ok. the accessory shop sounds cool tho

microdot

I think they just reuse the assets from your base cartridge for the other 2 games. The unique chapters/assets take up the rest of the space.

wrowa

Why is not fun? Plenty of people enjoy a more challeninging difficulty setting, but that doesn't mean they can't get stuck on a mission. If they need to lower the difficulty in order to complete that one mission, but generaly enjoy the harder difficulty more, then what is gained by locking them out of their preferred difficulty afterwards? Why does it even matter whether or not there is a "cheat hole" in a single player game? It hurts no one (except for people with a screwed sense of pride, I guess), but helps more people to enjoy a game. Really, what's the negative?

Shun

For those playing Conquest on Lunatic or even Hard, a tip is that Female Corrin is generally a lot easier in the beginning of the game than if you were to pick Male Corrin.

Male Corrin is the harder route in Conquest because of the different jeigan character you get depending on your gender. Jakob is the superior unit. You will get the other maid/butler eventually.

Jakob for Female
Felicia for Male.

But I am an old school player. I mean I guess they have never heard of Sylvia and Claude. Alvis and Diadora. Faval and Rana. Aless and Nana. Patty and Lester. Eldigan and Rackesis. Lucina and Wood. Layven and Priscilla. Ephraim and Eirika mind as well be canon by the fans.

Altenna and Arion is the most similar to Fire Emblem Fates situation anyway.

I really don't care about the title change and I guess people didn't catch that it was a dig and making fun at older Fire Emblem games. Let's please move past the thread title and if you would like to suggest a new one for the inevitable OT2, please do so then.

Why is not fun? Plenty of people enjoy a more challeninging difficulty setting, but that doesn't mean they can't get stuck on a mission. If they need to lower the difficulty in order to complete that one mission, but generaly enjoy the harder difficulty more, then what is gained by locking them out of their preferred difficulty afterwards? Why does it even matter whether or not there is a "cheat hole" in a single player game? It hurts no one (except for people with a screwed sense of pride, I guess), but helps more people to enjoy a game. Really, what's the negative?
There are already so many 'cheat holes' in the game with the Casual mode and Phoenix mode that what you are talking about is simply unnecessary. There are tons of difficulty options already available to the player. There is no need to let you lower the difficulty for only one chapter, that basically negates the challenge, and encourages people to do that for more challenging chapters rather than becoming more proficient at the game. There is nothing wrong with a developer wanting to encourage the player to grow proficient with the difficulty level they have chosen, challenging the player without an easy way out is a completely valid design choice.

Lunar15

Are they legit Jeigans in that they start out great but don't have good growths, or are they more like recent Jeigans where they end up being extremely good units anyway?

But I am an old school player. I mean I guess they have never heard of Sylvia and Claude. Alvis and Diadora. Faval and Rana. Aless and Nana. Patty and Lester. Eldigan and Rackesis. Lucina and Wood. Layven and Priscilla. Ephraim and Eirika mind as well be canon by the fans.

Altenna and Arion is the most similar to Fire Emblem Fates situation anyway.

I really don't care about the title change and I guess people didn't catch that it was a dig and making fun at older Fire Emblem games. Let's please move past the thread title and if you would like to suggest a new one for the inevitable OT2, please do so then.

that bit you quoted was for people debating why fe fates wont let you freely change difficulties

Top Bottom