• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First baby born without a gender in Canada

Nerazar

We should have a dedicated thread to non-capitalization and its threat to modern society.

We're only moments away from babies named with emoji.

I will name my baby only using sounds which cannot normally be produced by humans and using my own scripture. Just to make a point that language is the true oppressor all along. :)

Welcome to life, ɷʄ k͡p, ɡ͡b, ŋ͡m.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What's abusive about this? How is the kid being harmed?
By being deprived of basic prerogative his/her peers would have for the first years of their lives? By being mocked by peers? By facing administrative troubles at most locations on the globe they set their foot on? Do you want me to carry on?

The parent (mother) has just made the life of her child a fair tad more difficult for shit and giggles.

By being deprived of basic prerogative his/her peers would have for the first years of their lives? By being mocked by peers? By facing administrative troubles at most locations on the globe they set their foot on? Do you want me to carry on?

Yes, actually what is abusive?

Whompa02

Curious to see how poorly this plays out.

Reminds me of the bullshit nature vs nurture families that end up ruining their children on almost every single level possible.

The parent (mother) has just made the life of her child a fair tad more difficult for shit and giggles.

Would you call it child abuse if a kid wanted to transition and the parent allowed them to do so?

Also, it's incredibly dismissive to response to this situation as "shits and giggles." You have to already have pretty strong preconceived notions of gender to approach this with that mindset.

Audioboxer

It is child abuse. The lawyer's name is the harmless side to this story.

It's a medical card that has been changed whatever that is. It's not been changed on the birth certificate from what I have read, even although most of us have been arguing about birth certificates (I thought it was until I re-read the BBC article about 10 times thanks to that and them using sex/gender interchangeable for more confusion). I do not think there are legal grounds to have your birth certificate say "undetermined". The closest we have is birth certificates being legally amended. I think some people are still arguing from a place of thinking it has been the birth certificate which was changed here.

I wouldn't say it's child abuse at all, it's just potentially an affront to biology/science (to want to eradicate sex and act as if sex is a social construct). Hence why it kicks up a bees nest of debate in the fields of science/biology and from anyone in those fields/interested in them. I have proposed questions a few times now around evolution and humans being part of the animal kingdom, without many takers. Reasons being it is a valid starting point to inquire if anyone is arguing from a place of believing God made humans/we transcend biology somehow, or if said person denies evolution/our ancestors. When it comes to DNA, genes, biology and sex so much of our understanding applies across the animal kingdom.

edit: A health card in Canada seems to be about health insurance

Getting a health card
To get health care in Canada, you will need a health insurance card from the province or territory where you live. You must show this card each time you get medical services. Learn more about how to get a health card.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-health.asp

The baby will still have a birth certificate with sex documented on it. Which as the BBC seem to state the parent(s) also want to be removed.

It's really strange how people are playing up gender markers on a birth certificate as child abuse. I think they more mean in how they would raise them, but at the same time, there's very clearly a strong bias that the parent would force an agenda on their child or force them to be trans (a sentiment expressed at least once already in this thread).

My opinion on this is basically what Dr. House would say about it.

Dr. House is an asocial weirdo whose opinions can be at times based in his own personal bias and not empirical fact

The family's lawyer, barbara findlay, who chooses to spell her name without capital letters

6d3993983a073ab63d69ee3d0ca8703c.gif

This is dumb. The birth certificate says "sex," not "gender."

Right? Does the parent not distinguish between them?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yes, actually what is abusive?
You are posing problems to a child that it most likely would not experience otherwise. For the vast majority of people, using the sex as gender is appropriate, without any issues attached. detaching the sex from gender artificially for the child before it could express lack of comfort with its sex generates a problem the kid in all likelihood would never have.

Dr. House is an asocial weirdo whose opinions can be at times based in his own personal bias and not empirical fact
He's a good man.

You are posing problems to a child that it most likely would not experience otherwise. For the vast majority of people, using the sex as gender is appropriate, without any issues attached. detaching the sex from gender artificially for the child before it could express lack of comfort with its sex generates a problem the kid in all likelihood would never have.

He's a good man.

House is a good man, but he has preconceived notions and biases just like anyone else. It's part of why he's a good character.

As far as your first premise, changing the gender marker to U does not imply that the child will experience this. For all we know, the parent is just going to let the child pick their own path regarding their gender. I mean shit, we see this all the time in traditional families - it only gets so much play because it's a trans person doing it, and because gender markers were involved. It reveals a pretty strong bias that behavior is worse depending on whether a trans person or a cis person does it.

As a bit of satisfaction propaganda for people who would never vote for anything left wing ever in the first place, maybe

I know people who voted for Obama whose first reason for not voting Clinton was pizzagate.

He's a good man.

What problems would the child have ?

Legitimately there has been a circle of concern trolling over phantom bullying stretching to somehow believing a medical doctor wouldn't know how to treat the child.

blu

Would you call it child abuse if a kid wanted to transition and the parent allowed them to do so?

Also, it's incredibly dismissive to response to this situation as "shits and giggles." You have to already have pretty strong preconceived notions of gender to approach this with that mindset.
Oh, please, spare me the mindset accusations.

A kid wanting to transition would be a completely different situation than a kid being placed into a potentially-uneasy socially position without their consent. For the record, parents fighting their wars through the proxy of their kids is a very low act in my book.

The baby will still have a birth certificate with sex documented on it. Which as the BBC seem to state the parent(s) also want to be removed.
So actually the parents were stopped before incurring max damage. Good.

I need to legitimately emphasize this post for everyone who finds this to be abusive

What is the difference between this and, say, two cis parents deciding to not enforce gender roles on their kids and just letting them fall into what they prefer? Do you consider that to be abusive?

A kid wanting to transition would be a completely different situation than a kid being placed into a potentially-uneasy socially position without their consent. For the record, parents fighting their wars through the proxy of their kids is a very low act in my book.

But a kid wanting to transition would invariably make them the subject of mockery and ridicule and would undoubtedly put them on a life path with many, many struggles.

Which is why the premise of "they would get picked on" to call a form of parenting abusive completely insane. Kids would get picked on for being vegetarian, it does not mean that a parent cannot raise their child vegetarian (while also ensuring they get all necessary nutrients).

Your premise also doesn't work unless you are making the assumption that the parent will force the child to be a certain gender. This story is nothing more than a stronger version of not wanting to use gender stereotypes in raising children, which is something that a lot of families do.

He's a good man.

What's going to happen to the kid if the parents don't force boy things on the kid if it's a boy or girl things on the girl? Tell me the horrible things the child will feel when it doesn't have gender norms put on it because of other peoples wishes.

Sex as gender is stupid. Having a kid naturally come into it's own without people shoving shit in it's face seems far more safe than the method you prescribed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't understand how anyone could be upset about this any more than Kale Breckin etc. the kid will establish their identity with pressure and artificial bs from their parent which is probably true of most of us. People's parents decide sports team affinity with the same level of custom nonsense. And there are cultists and lunatics out there squeezing their progeny into way more damaging situations.

My parents more or less decided I should be a straight male catholic and environment and biology and education created the end result.

That's what's going to happen here too and frankly it's nobody's business but theirs if no actual harm is occurring.

Lawyer name makes me tired tho.

Imagine having to be corrected by them in a store or as a barista.

Rayis

Oh boy, this is bound to upset lots of people for no good reason *looks at 27 page thread* even on GAF, either way, Let's see how the experiment pans out.

molnizzle

What's going to happen to the kid if the parents don't force boy things on the kid if it's a boy or girl things on the girl? Tell me the horrible things the child will feel when it doesn't have gender norms put on it because of other peoples wishes.

Sex as gender is stupid. Having a kid naturally come into it's own without people shoving shit in it's face seems far more safe than the method you prescribed.

In a vacuum, sure.

In the world we currently inhabit where transgender children are incessantly bullied and quite often have miserable childhoods, it's putting more on the child than may be necessary.

In a vacuum, sure.

In the world we currently inhabit where transgender children are incessantly bullied and quite often have miserable childhoods, it's putting more on the child then may be necessary.

The only way that this reasonably leads to bullying is if the child turns out to be trans. People talk about kids not being able to consent to this kind of thing, and that's kind of the point. A parent not wanting to identify their child by a gender until the child is old enough to be able to declare it.

I didn't consent to having my gender be assigned male, were my parents abusive?

Ketkat

In a vacuum, sure.

In the world we currently inhabit where transgender children are incessantly bullied and quite often have miserable childhoods, it's putting more on the child then may be necessary.

Do you think the kid is being forced to be trans?

It really feels like people are fighting the wrong fights with this stuff when the real issue with the dysphoria people face is due to the concept of gender that's ingrained into our culture. Instead of trying to twist around that concept to make people more comfortable with themselves, it'd be much more effective to lessen the importance of gender in general and focus more on people being individuals.

It really feels like people are fighting the wrong fights with this stuff when the real issue with the dysphoria people face is due to the concept of gender that's ingrained into our culture. Instead of trying to twist around that concept to make people more comfortable with themselves, it'd be much more effective to lessen the importance of gender in general and focus more on people being individuals.

Huh? The parent didn't assign their child a gender. They are not forcing the child to be trans or anything like that. Presumably, once the child is old enough to communicate their gender, the parent will follow suit.

molnizzle

The only way that this reasonably leads to bullying is if the child turns out to be trans. People talk about kids not being able to consent to this kind of thing, and that's kind of the point. A parent not wanting to identify their child by a gender until the child is old enough to be able to declare it.

How could the kid ever be trans if they don't have a gender to begin with?

Do you think the kid is being forced to be trans?

I guess not, but the kid is definitely being forced to be different. The perception will be similar, especially among children.

In a vacuum, sure.

The chance of the child being trans is extremely low.

And if the child is somehow trans, then it's easily arguable that the upbringing was far more healthy than the alternative of a "normal" upbringing.

Again, how is "you can like what you like and not worry about fitting into preconceived archetypes" a bad thing.

I guess not, but the kid is definitely being forced to be different. The perception will be similar, especially among children.

No it's not.

Audioboxer

So actually the parents were stopped before incurring max damage. Good.

Well, I don't think they "needed to be stopped" because as far as I'm aware I do not know of any Western societies (that's what I'm most familiar with) that will either deny/hide or not record sex. The BBC article states that is what the parent(s) want to happen, but not that is what has happened. The format of the reporting, misusing sex/gender interchangeably and other articles across the internet doing this has seemingly spawned the debate to be around believing the baby does not have an assigned sex, legally. The baby will have. The health card seems to be something used to get free healthcare in Canada.

There's a lot of debating in here which seems to be conflating sex and gender. The BBC article, title included, really isn't helping things. The health card itself also states sex, NOT gender, just as a birth certificate would state sex

The health card has been issued with a "U" in the space for "sex", which could be for "undetermined" or "unassigned".

3Ck4OJm.png

but BBC go on to say gender all over the article, especially here

Kori Doty is fighting to omit the gender from the birth certificate.

where a birth certificate mentions sex

8Bdicbx.png

tcUNcgh.png

^ These are all examples from government/information websites, not actual copies of people's real IDs/certificates. The point being it states sex, not gender. The parent(s) HAVE managed to get SEX changed on the healthcare card, but NOT the birth certificate. I am unsure if the healthcare card is a legal form of identification, or if strictly used just to get free healthcare.

I mean

What?

You

Uh

I guess

Let me explain it

If a birth certificate having an M on it doesn't cause a trans woman to be less of a trans woman, why would a birth certificate with a U on it prevent them from that?

I don't know that you know how being trans works, haha.

Yoshi

I did not say anything about norms, but about a descriptor which is of some importance when working with children. Games where people group by sex at one point, games where there are questions involved that concern the sex. If the child is unaware of this and needs to learn from educators or other children, it puts the child in a disadvantageous position and there are no benefits to counter this. I fail to see any benefits of not having the biological sex registered properly in case the child is not trans (which is the much more likely case) and otherwise I doubt the advantage is significant.

I did not say anything about norms, but about a descriptor which is of some importance when working with children. Games where people group by sex at one point, games where there are questions involved that concern the sex. If the child is unaware of this and needs to learn from educators or other children, it puts the child in a disadvantageous position and there are no benefits to counter this. I fail to see any benefits of not having the biological sex registered properly in case the child is not trans (which is the much more likely case) and otherwise I doubt the advantage is significant.

What makes you think that the parent will not educate the child on these things? I think they'd be even more likely to do so given that it would complicate things further if they did not.

Realyn

Baby will have the worst time in life and either get bullied or sheltered from society. For the parent to make a statement and to fight for laws to be changed. Whatever your opinion is on that, don't fuck up your kid's life because of it.

Meanwhile page 1 is concerned about a lawyer and her name.

You people rock. Grats.

blu

What is the difference between this and, say, two cis parents deciding to not enforce gender roles on their kids and just letting them fall into what they prefer? Do you consider that to be abusive?
Not in the least.

But a kid wanting to transition would invariably make them the subject of mockery and ridicule and would undoubtedly put them on a life path with many, many struggles.
That's what we, as humans, do in our lives - we make our choices and face the consequences from those. The kid *will* pick their gender, when *they* decide to do so, one way or another, even without the mother forcing it onto them 'No, kid, you have to pick your gender now, because, you see, I put your social record in this low impedance state which you'll need to get out of as soon as possible.'

There's a simple reason (normal) parents teach their kids to confront bullies, but nevertheless same parents don't name their kids 'Dipshit Pimpleface', and don't use their kids as banners. Again, parents imposing their fights onto their kids is very unethical, to say the least.

Baby will have the worst time in life and either get bullied or sheltered from society. For the parent to make a statement and to fight for laws to be changed. Whatever your opinion is on that, don't fuck up your kid's life because of it.

Meanwhile page 1 is concerenced about a lawyer and her name.

You people rock. Grats.
Another actual parent's post, I take?

"Congratulations parent, it's a healthy attack-helicopter!"

I believe sex =/= gender. And that this parent is potentially making their childs life harder, just to make a poorly constructed statement.

Lowercase name is some real top percentage bullshit though. And I think the lawyer actually puts this case in a worse light because of the preconseptions we place on such a life-decision.

The only questions I have are when do they expect the child to decide their gender?

I assume they are well of financially so the child's peers will be understanding or at least I hope.

Dmax3901

I dunno, I understand and am all for trans rights and raising a kid gender neutral, but this seems too far the other way? It's forceful in it's own right.

No in the least.

That's what we, as humans, do in our lives - we make our choices and face the consequences from those. The kid *will* pick their gender, when *they* decide to do so, one way or another, even without the mother forcing it onto them 'No, kid, you have to pick your gender now, because, you see, I put your social record in this low impedance state which you'll need to get out of as soon as possible.'

There's a simple reason (normal) parents teach their kids to confront bullies, but nevertheless same parents don't name their kids 'Dipshit Pimpleface', and don't use their kids as banners. Again, parents imposing their fights onto their kids is very unethical, to say the least.

Another actual parent's post, I take?

Can you elaborate what, exactly, is the difference between a parent not assigning a gender marker and a parent raising their children in such a way that they can figure out their gender for themselves? Because at this point, the only practical difference seems to be that it's a trans person doing it. *shrugs*

Identify how you want to identify as... But for sex you are either make or female. This world has gone crazy.

The thread says gender, not sex, you big goof.

The only questions I have are when do they expect the child to decide their gender?

I assume they are well of financially so the child's peers will be understanding or at least I hope.

When they're old enough to really comprehend it, I assume.

I dunno, I understand and am all for trans rights and raising a kid gender neutral, but this seems too far the other way? It's forceful in it's own right.

It's only forceful if the child is forced to be a gender that they are not.

Change "gender" on a birth certificate to "sex" and there won't be any ambiguity.

The chromosomes you have are non-negotiable, no matter how progressive you are. Only those with sex chromosomal mutations (trisomy, kleinfelters etc) have any leeway.

Change "gender" on a birth certificate to "sex" and there won't be any ambiguity.

The chromosomes you have are non-negotiable, no matter how progressive you are.

XXY Syndrome

XYY Syndrome

Maybe read up more on the subject before pretending like you have an airtight argument ya

Even beyond that, changing gender to sex would fuck over a lot of trans people who would no longer be able to change their birth certificate.

Yoshi

When they're old enough to really comprehend it, I assume.

At what age is this by the way? I'm a month shy of thirty and I have not the slightest idea what a gender is or what my gender is (as opposed to sex).
XXY Syndrome

XYY Syndrome

Maybe read up more on the subject before pretending like you have an airtight argument ya

Even beyond that, changing gender to sex would fuck over a lot of trans people who would no longer be able to change their birth certificate.
Which they wouldn't need to, because the birth certificate says nothing about gender in this case?

Also, XXY and XYY are called syndrome for a reason.

At what age is this by the way? I'm a month shy of thirty and I have not the slightest idea what a gender is or what my gender is (as opposed to sex).

Seeing at they will grow up in a world where it's not a new thought process, a lot sooner than thirty.

Audioboxer

Can you elaborate what, exactly, is the difference between a parent not assigning a gender marker and a parent raising their children in such a way that they can figure out their gender for themselves? Because at this point, the only practical difference seems to be that it's a trans person doing it. *shrugs*

The thread says gender, not sex, you big goof.

But what they got changed WAS SEX, but on the healthcare card. There's a picture above, the card doesn't say "gender". As I said above the BBC reporting is causing mayhem.

However, I've read a bit more on the website of the activist rights group she is supposedly a member of

Vision

To remove all gender/sex designations from identity documents.

The Solution

The only acceptable solution is to remove gender altogether, from all identity documents.

Who are we?

We are a growing coalition of activists, lawyers, advocates, grassroots and non-profit organizations and regular people across Canada who are advocating for the removal of a gender/sex designation on all state-mandated documents. This includes birth certificates, passports, driver's licenses, SIN numbers, etc.

http://gender-freeidcoalition.ca/

Even they, an activist rights group who many would probably get behind with gender seem to be interchangeably linking sex WITH gender... From their words above it's quite clear they wish to remove SEX from everything as well.

Kids can get a grasp on what gender they are at a pretty young age. Part of why you have so much trouble understanding gender vs. sex is because it's not something you were taught growing up. Such a thing is always going to be harder than if you're taught these things in your formative years.

Why does validating a new idea feel like forcing people who like the old idea to change?

Where does that instinct of defensiveness come from?

I'm talking about essential communication through speech here. Capitalizing names isn't essential for differentiation.

We've just accepted that it's normal, so we make fun of people who don't do it.

So tell me what benefit does not capitalizing provide i cant think of any and theres a logical reason why we do capitalize the norm is not a bad thing . she is not trying to improve or help shes just saying nah im not gonna follow this rule because I want attention going by your logic we should not get defensive about flat earth theory

So tell me what benefit does not capitalizing provide i cant think of any and theres a logical reason why we do capitalize the norm is not a bad thing . she is not trying to improve or help shes just saying nah im not gonna follow this rule because I want attention going by your logic we should not get defensive about flat earth theory

But why do you care so much

Also, the Flat Earth conspiracy comparison doesn't make sense, because Flat Earthers are actually shockingly weird and bizarre. Not wanting to capitalize your name is just "fuck the system" silliness IMO, but Flat Earthers are not "fucking the system," they legitimately think that there's conspiracies with ice walls and the moon being a projection on the sky and shit like that. It's also that Flat Earthers have the capacity to misinform people on the nature of the Earth, while this person isn't going around trying to convince people to not use grammar in their name.

Top Bottom