• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First baby born without a gender in Canada

XXY Syndrome

XYY Syndrome

Maybe read up more on the subject before pretending like you have an airtight argument ya

Even beyond that, changing gender to sex would fuck over a lot of trans people who would no longer be able to change their birth certificate.

Biologists consider those mutations, unless biology has changed since I took pre-med biology in 2009.

Dmax3901

It's only forceful if the child is forced to be a gender that they are not.

I guess it depends on how they're raised, kids don't think complex thoughts about their gender, right? They're gonna look at all the other boys and girls, then look at their genitals and go... I'm a boy/girl, right? And then the parent goes "whatever you wanna be", wouldn't that cause a little panic in the kid? Which one do they choose? Which does my mum/dad want me to pick? Why would I pick something other than what the things between my legs suggests?

Sorry if any of this comes off as insensitive or offensive, it's genuinely not my intent.

Lifeline

I thought the "sex" on a birth certificate represents the biological sex of the baby. I don't see why the parents want to shelter their child from its own biology.

It is estimated that about 0.005% to 0.014% of people assigned male at birth and 0.002% to 0.003% of people assigned female at birth would be diagnosed with gender dysphoria,

you really wanna do this shit in the 0.005% chance the little dude has a problem with his gender?

And that lawyer wtf. I want my name written LiKe ThIs CaUsE CoRrEcT GrAmMeR iS a MeNaCe To SoCiEtY

Yeoman

Oh boy, this is bound to upset lots of people for no good reason *looks at 27 page thread* even on GAF, either way, Let's see how the experiment pans out.
This is a human child, not an experiment.
As I said previously, this kid is likely in for a rough life unfortunately.

I guess it depends on how they're raised, kids don't think complex thoughts about their gender, right? They're gonna look at all the other boys and girls, then look at their genitals and go... I'm a boy/girl, right? And then the parent goes "whatever you wanna be", wouldn't that cause a little panic in the kid? Which one do they choose? Which does my mum/dad want me to pick? Why would I pick something other than what the things between my legs suggests?

Sorry if any of this comes off as insensitive or offensive, it's genuinely not my intent.

Not really, no. It's kind of a circular thing - kids usually get raised specifically based on their sex, so in turn they associate with their respective sex, often even if they are trans. You're kind of doing a form of projection of your own confusions on the matter onto children; children who are raised to think that "boy and girl" is defined by genitals will in turn believe that - and, like I said, this includes trans people too, much to the detriment of their psychological state.

I thought the "sex" on a birth certificate represents the biological sex of the baby. I don't see why the parents want to shelter their child from its own biology.

you really wanna do this shit in the 0.005% chance the little dude has a problem with his gender?

And that lawyer wtf. I want my name written LiKe ThIs CaUsE CoRrEcT GrAmMeR iS a MeNaCe To SoCiEtY

What is the worst-case scenario of assigning the child U instead of M or F, in your mind? I'm legitimately curious what people think this is going to lead to that will harm the child.

When they're old enough to really comprehend it, I assume.

I do not know how discovering your gender is because I never felt conflicted about my gender, but is there no likelihood that the child can be influenced by external forces be it media or the parent the child feels closest too and decide their gender before they are actually able to comprehend it?

If the child chooses a gender before they are fully certain they can change it of course but cant that cause just as much issues as if they were just given their biological gender?

However if gender identity is like the way I believe sexual preference is and people are born with it then I don't see a problem.

I do not know how discovering your gender is because I never felt conflicted about my gender, but is there no likelihood that the child can be influenced by external forces be it media or the parent the child feels closest too and decide their gender before they are actually able to comprehend it?

If the child chooses a gender before they are fully certain they can change it of course but cant that cause just as much issues as if they were just given their biological gender?

However if gender identity is like the way I believe sexual preference is and people are born with it then I don't see a problem.

The last sentence basically sums up what I would have said, haha. There's invariably a risk that a kid may have an answer based on what they think that their parent wants out of them, but that's a risk that exists regardless. It also has to do with upbringing - if the parent brings up their child with a bias, that bias could definitely influence them (and by bias, I mean encouraging a child to be a certain gender).

People keep repeating that it is this parent who is blurring the difference between Sex and Gender but again the only reason they're asking for a U instead of F or M on the health card is because society at large doesn't pay attention to the difference.

Because society at large will see the F or the M and say ahhh the child is a girl or a boy and then treat them as such.

Removing the F or M means that assumption can't be made.

It's called working within the system we have.

Ultimately this is about letting the child be whatever gender they end up being without the societal pressure to confirm to necessarily their sex. The thing is ID cards have only sex designation and this ultimately causes people to then gender the child so we take that out. That's the story.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A documented genderless baby is intriguing as the first such case in the world, and I'm interested in seeing if this could pave way for more parents to follow duit and how society will react to it.

I doubt it will matter much since I have seen little evidence to suggest that gender perception isn't largely determined at birth.

Rayis

This is a human child, not an experiment.
As I said previously, this kid is likely in for a rough life unfortunately.

Holy hyperbole Batman, the experiment is not the child itself but the refusal to identify them with gender markers, either way, I don't see how the child will live a rough life unless their parents intentionally isolate them from society, the concern trolling is a little disingenuous.

Nerazar

Kids can get a grasp on what gender they are at a pretty young age. Part of why you have so much trouble understanding gender vs. sex is because it's not something you were taught growing up. Such a thing is always going to be harder than if you're taught these things in your formative years.

I agree, but children will understand that while being exposed to other children / the world around us. We will never know what they would inherently decide since they are not raised in isolation. That "U" on that card will not change that fact. However, I do have the feeling that the parents will raise the child in their own way like everyone else and "forcing"(?) the child to be gender-neutral or whatever they see in it. And that might cause some issues in social situations during the formative years.

But I cannot really make that argument, because we will probably never know what will happen. As long as the parents don't start blogging about it and writing a book about it or anything. So as I would raise my child as a vegetarian or even vegan, I would also want them to raise theirs as they see fit. It's just the "there is no biological sex"-argument which turns people off, because this is in the same ballpark as with "there is no climate change / climate change is not caused or influenced by humans". And that is not the right way for the movement in my opinion.

Dmax3901

Not really, no. It's kind of a circular thing - kids usually get raised specifically based on their sex, so in turn they associate with their respective sex, often even if they are trans. You're kind of doing a form of projection of your own confusions on the matter onto children; children who are raised to think that "boy and girl" is defined by genitals will in turn believe that - and, like I said, this includes trans people too, much to the detriment of their psychological state.

I get depressed when I think about this stuff. Not because I'm against it, but I consider myself a fairly progressive person and even I struggle to wrap my head around it. I know so many people who are close-minded to other sexual preferences/races/religions that it gets me down to think of how far there is to go.

Yeoman

Holy hyperbole Batman, the experiment is not the child itself but the refusal to identify them with gender markers, either way, I don't see how the child will live a rough life unless their parents intentionally isolate them from society, the concern trolling is a little disingenuous.
So the experiment is the child then isn't it?
Stop projecting you might not give a fuck but I do.

I agree, but children will understand that while being exposed to other children / the world around us. We will never know what they would inherently decide since they are not raised in isolation. That "U" on that card will not change that fact. However, I do have the feeling that the parents will raise the child in their own way like everyone else and "forcing"(?) the child to be gender-neutral or whatever they see in it. And that might cause some issues in social situations during the formative years.

But I cannot really make that argument, because we will probably never know what will happen. As long as the parents don't start blogging about it and writing a book about it or anything. So as I would raise my child as a vegetarian or even vegan, I would also want them to raise theirs as they see fit. It's just the "there is no biological sex"-argument which turns people off, because this is in the same ballpark as with "there is no climate change / climate change is not caused or influenced by humans". And that is not the right way for the movement in my opinion.

See, that feeling you have makes me wonder what makes you have that feeling. Do you feel that you have a bias against trans parents?

I get depressed when I think about this stuff. Not because I'm against it, but I consider myself a fairly progressive person and even I struggle to wrap my head around it. I know so many people who are close-minded to other sexual preferences/races/religions that it gets me down to think of how far there is to go.

TBH, it's nothing to feel bad about for not knowing stuff. It's one thing to look at something and say "I don't get it," it's another thing to say "I don't get it, but it's abusive and stupid." :p So I hope you don't feel bad about it.

Rayis

So the experiment is the child then isn't it?
Stop projecting you might not give a fuck but I do.

Sure it is, if you want to strawman my position, either way I suggest you don't worry about the child, they'll be fine. I'm sure Canada has great legislation against child abuse.

Not using caps in her name is stupid.

I still wonder if its some sovereign citizen bullshit? She is a lawyer is there a loophole she thinks she exploiting?

Her reasoning has been posted like 6 times in this thread

And not it's not that.

I hopped in on page 27 with my questions that others were nice enough to answer, I ain't going through the other 26 to find her reasoning can I get a summary or quote please?

Nerazar

See, that feeling you have makes me wonder what makes you have that feeling. Do you feel that you have a bias against trans parents?

No, why would I? In that case I just assume that parents are always influencing their children according to their own beliefs and paradigms. And that one open statement will not change the subliminal influencing by the parents, even though they sincerely believe that they're distancing themselves from their past. But that's just about every parent there is, even the most progressive ones. It's easy to tell yourself that you will let the child decide, but what if they make the "wrong" decision or even challenge the parents' ideas?

No, why would I? In that case I just assume that parents are always influencing their children according to their own beliefs and paradigms. And that one open statement will not change the subliminal influencing by the parents, even though you sincerely believe that you're distancing yourself from your own past. But that's just about every parent there is, even the most progressive ones. It's easy to tell yourself that you will let the child decide, but what if it makes the "wrong" decision or even challenge the parents' ideas?

There is no wrong decision....

It's not like this parent doesn't believe in cisgender people.

No, why would I? In that case I just assume that parents are always influencing their children according to their own beliefs and paradigms. And that one open statement will not change the subliminal influencing by the parents, even though they sincerely believe that they're distancing themselves from your their past. But that's just about every parent there is, even the most progressive ones. It's easy to tell yourself that you will let the child decide, but what if it makes the "wrong" decision or even challenge the parents' ideas?

In order to be an equivalent situation though, we'd have to have a parent who's encouraging their child directly to be trans.

Yeoman

You give a fuck, but not enough to really elaborate where you see abusive behavior in the actions of the parent.
I didn't call it abusive but I think this whole situation will lead to severe bullying and will have a major impact on the child's psyche.
For fuck sake their Mum has a beard and is refusing to identify its sex.
In today's world the kid is going to have a torturous childhood. And for what?

Oh and you've got a post to respond to:
A Link to the Past said:
The thread says gender, not sex, you big goof.
But what they got changed WAS SEX, but on the healthcare card. There's a picture above, the card doesn't say "gender". As I said above the BBC reporting is causing mayhem.

However, I've read a bit more on the website of the activist rights group she is supposedly a member of

Vision

To remove all gender/sex designations from identity documents.

The Solution

The only acceptable solution is to remove gender altogether, from all identity documents.

Who are we?

We are a growing coalition of activists, lawyers, advocates, grassroots and non-profit organizations and regular people across Canada who are advocating for the removal of a gender/sex designation on all state-mandated documents. This includes birth certificates, passports, driver's licenses, SIN numbers, etc.

http://gender-freeidcoalition.ca/

Even they, an activist rights group who many would probably get behind with gender seem to be interchangeably linking sex WITH gender... From their words above it's quite clear they wish to remove SEX from everything as well.
You seem to have been ignoring the people who have repeatedly brought this up to you.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Can you elaborate what, exactly, is the difference between a parent not assigning a gender marker and a parent raising their children in such a way that they can figure out their gender for themselves? Because at this point, the only practical difference seems to be that it's a trans person doing it. *shrugs*
It's simple. You teach your kids to be ambi-gender-ous, and let them decide what they feel like being when they have the mental capacity to decide (which might be sooner than a parent expects). You don't put a label on them 'You're trans gender because I say so (hint: they might not be), and an outcast' and toss them out in the open.

I didn't call it abusive but I think this whole situation will lead to severe bullying and will have a major impact on the child's psyche.
For fuck sake their Mum has a beard and is refusing to identify its sex.
In today's world the kid is going to have a torturous childhood.
And for what?

Oh and you've got a post to respond to:

You seem to have been ignoring the people who have repeatedly brought this up to you.

Firstly, that's the first time anyone mentioned anything of the sort. I don't know as much about the subject, so I just shrugged. Stop engaging in hyperbole lmao

Secondly, are you of the opinion that the child is prone to bullying because other children might gain access to the child's birth certificate? I'm afraid I do not see the through line.

It's simple. You teach your kids to be ambi-gender-ous, and let them decide what they feel like being when they have the mental capacity to decide (which might be sooner than a parent expects). You don't put a label on them 'You're trans gender because I say so (hint: they might not be), and an outcast' and toss them out in the open.

Protip: If you can't show me the quote where the parent exclaimed their desire to force a child to be trans, you're very much showing that you have some pretty serious transphobia.

Seriously, this was some pretty bigoted shit you just posted lmao. Do you also think that gay parents will force their children to be gay?

There's nothing in that article that says the child is being forced to be trans... So you're making assumptions.

Yeah, im not on board with this. It's nonsense. Let the kid decide what gender they want to be, okay, but you need to have the biological sex listed. It only makes sense for medicinal reasons.

To me, sex on birth certificates should always be the biological sex of the individual.

Nerazar

In order to be an equivalent situation though, we'd have to have a parent who's encouraging their child directly to be trans.

Well, we don't know in this case, but that's a possibility for sure. That encouragement doesn't even need to be active or verbalized, just like with any other parent. But I sure hope that the parents in this case are reasonable with it and don't see their child as a social experiment to challenge norms and really let them decide for themselves.

Audioboxer

People keep repeating that it is this parent who is blurring the difference between Sex and Gender but again the only reason they're asking for a U instead of F or M on the health card is because society at large doesn't pay attention to the difference.

Because society at large will see the F or the M and say ahhh the child is a girl or a boy and then treat them as such.

Removing the F or M means that assumption can't be made.

It's called working within the system we have.

Ultimately this is about letting the child be whatever gender they end up being without the societal pressure to confirm to necessarily their sex. The thing is ID cards have only sex designation and this ultimately causes people to then gender the child so we take that out. That's the story.

And a good answer to that is education and taught compassion, primarily in schools and by the Government. The answer shouldn't be that sex needs to be "eradicated" and removed from every single legal document/government form of identification like the activists website I posted on the previous page states. The lawyer is part of that movement as is the parent. That's coming very close to the kinds of "logical reform" those who believe evolution is a lie/the world is only 6000 years old (bones are fake!) or the earth is flat follow. Eradicate what is true about science/physics/biology because that is the answer to stopping it being taught/said/on display. That's not how you clear up misunderstandings and a lack of compassion, that is how you rile people up and get push back to your own message as people will always push back against things that do not align with evidence. It's why it's incredibly frustrating when movements with a good message arguably go too far and attempt to do unproductive things to spread their message.

Sex is the biological descriptor of your organs and what is inside your body (testes/uterus/ovaries/etc). Gender is the identification of what you assign to yourself. Hence gender dysphoria when sex and gender do not align. I know you know that, but I say to that why push to seemingly eradicate sex as if it's merely tied up in a social construct? It's not intellectually smart and it's only going to lead to even more confusion around gender/sex and people in the fields of biology especially feeling that they're being offensive to talk about what sex is. Then again, teaching evolution is STILL seen as offensive by some. We're not part of the animal kingdom! Yes, we are. Some might want to say that's an unrelated argument, but no, it's really not. When what is true biologically about us is observable across all other animals then it's relevant to the discourse.

The long of the short here is it's frustrating when work needs to be done around social constructs and compassion for minorities and it gets embroiled in situations where I and others deem the actions and requests to not actually be helping the cause. No one can rewrite biology, one has to work within the constraints that are factual and focus more on education and compassion as humanity is complex and varying. We can respect what is true whilst still understanding not everyone fits into neat constructs from the truth. Whether it's medical conditions/diagnosis or social constructs. People involved in such situations are owed the truth as well. As in what is there to gain murkying the waters around sex? Isn't it better if cases of gender dysphoria get diagnosed correctly and swiftly rather than a society which is tying itself in knots to acknowledge sex?

blu

There's nothing in that article that says the child is being forced to be trans... So you're making assumptions.
I'm not the one making assumptions, the mother of that poor kid is. And the tragedy is that it will harm her child.

And a good answer to that is education and taught compassion, primarily in schools and by the Government. The answer shouldn't be that sex needs to be "eradicated" and removed from every single legal document/government form of identification like the activists website I posted on the previous page states. The lawyer is part of that movement as is the parent. That's coming very close to the kinds of "logical reform" those who believe evolution is a lie/the world is only 6000 years old (bones are fake!) or the earth is flat follow. Eradicate what is true about science/physics/biology because that is the answer to stopping it being taught/said/on display. That's not how you clear up misunderstandings and a lack of compassion, that is how you rile people up and get push back to your own message as people will always push back against things that do not align with evidence. It's why it's incredibly frustrating when movements with a good message arguably go too far and attempt to do unproductive things to spread their message.

Sex is the biological descriptor of your organs and what is inside your body (testes/uterus/ovaries/etc). Gender is the identification of what you assign to yourself. Hence gender dysphoria when sex and gender do not align. I know you know that, but I say to that why push to seemingly eradicate sex as if it's merely tied up in a social construct? It's not intellectually smart and it's only going to lead to even more confusion around gender/sex and people in the fields of biology especially feeling that they're being offensive to talk about what sex is. Then again, teaching evolution is STILL seen as offensive by some. We're not part of the animal kingdom! Yes, we are. Some might want to say that's an unrelated argument, but no, it's really not. When what is true biologically about us is observable across all other animals then it's relevant to the discourse.

Because they have a child in the here and now and the larger longer term alternatives will likely take decades/if ever so this is a quick and effective way to do it.

I'd prefer if we stop comparing people to flat earthers and evolution deniers, that is right up there with comparing parents letting their boys play with dolls to letting their boys date pedophiles.

blu

Protip: If you can't show me the quote where the parent exclaimed their desire to force a child to be trans, you're very much showing that you have some pretty serious transphobia.
Erm, she's forcing the child to be of a sex the child is not? Unless the child is indeed a brand new species of sex U.

Seriously, this was some pretty bigoted shit you just posted lmao. Do you also think that gay parents will force their children to be gay?
No. But this is the 3rd stupid assumption you make about me in this thread. So keep on carrying on, I guess.

Yeah, im not on board with this. It's nonsense. Let the kid decide what gender they want to be, okay, but you need to have the biological sex listed. It only makes sense for medicinal reasons.

To me, sex on birth certificates should always be the biological sex of the individual.

Thats the beauty of it though, in Canada we have things called Health Cards which will list the Biological Sex. Also depending on the province, we also have digital health records which in all likelihood would contain whether someone has an innie or an outie

VQI3cpT.gif

I'm not the one making assumptions, the mother of that poor kid is. And the tragedy is that it will harm her child.

You said they will be forcing the child to be trans, there's no indication of that erg yes you are the one making assumptions

The long of the short here is it's frustrating when work needs to be done around social constructs and compassion for minorities and it gets embroiled in situations where I and others deem the actions and requests to not actually be helping the cause.

Well I guess if you and others say it's not helping the cause I guess that's all there is too it then eh?

For the record you putting in any of the work that needs to be done? Like no offense but what an odd way to make this about you. Like sorry you're frustrated I guess.

Annubis

My only problem with this is that won't it be a major pain in the ass to change it later as opposed to setting what is 90%+ likely to be correct at the hospital at birth?

My only problem with this is that won't it be a major pain in the ass to change it later as opposed to setting what is 90%+ likely to be correct at the hospital at birth?

In all likelihood it ill be the parents who do the change as the child will still be under age when the child knows what their gender is.

Nerazar

Because they have a child in the here and now and the larger longer term alternatives will likely take decades/if ever so this is a quick and effective way to do it.

I'd prefer if we stop comparing people to flat earthers and evolution deniers, that is right up there with comparing parents letting their boys play with dolls to letting their boys date pedophiles.

Logically, those phenomena are connected. People are trying to establish that biology / science does not count in that argument and that you can ideologically argue away any inconvenient facts like biological sex. Be it climate change, flat earth or whatever: it's the same approach and for me and many supporters of the progressive movement it's the wrong way to go.

Thats the beauty of it though, in Canada we have things called Health Cards which will list the Biological Sex. Also depending on the province, we also have digital health records which in all likelihood would contain whether someone has an innie or an outie

VQI3cpT.gif

you guys have diginal records?

Quebec is still so behind

Audioboxer

Denying evolution is a claim made against our biological understandings of life/humanity. That can be somewhat close to anyone who wants to deny the basis of sex. I ask what people think of the animal kingdom precisely to see what they will answer about it whether it's claiming we aren't related or it's okay for those persons and animals to be discussed with sex, but not humans. I know the majority of people well versed in gender/sex will probably believe in evolution and accept our place in the animal kingdom. It's more to try and prod their brains into why they might see the answer to social constructs to go and attack biology. As I said above I do not think that is the productive way to tackle the issues we face with gender/in the LGBTQ community. Then again I can never advocate for or see a denial of truth as the answer. In any area of life. The pursuit of truth is how we deal with things and move societies forward. A lot in fields of science think that way hence why there is so much debate around topics like this.

I have zero idea why you brought up pedophiles. Toys are more align with gender constructs as well, something I've been clear to state do exist.

Erm, she's forcing the child to be of a sex the child is not? Unless the child is indeed a brand new species of sex U.

No. But this is the 3rd stupid assumption you make about me in this thread. So keep on carrying on, I guess.

...U is not a gender. What are you talking about?

And a good idea would be t o complain about people making assumptions in threads where you assume that a child is going to be forced to be trans due to the parent being trans.

Logically, those phenomena are connected. People are trying to establish that biology / science does not count in that argument and that you can ideologically argue away any inconvenient facts like biological sex. Be it climate change, flat earth or whatever: it's the same approach and for me and many supporters of the progressive movement it's the wrong way to go.

Except they're not, these folks aren't denying sex exists they're just acknowledging that in current society not enough people give a shit enough about gender issues so they'll just see the F or M and go girl/boy and treat the child accordingly.

Thus this is a quick an easy way to take that away.

Slayven

The long of the short here is it's frustrating when work needs to be done around social constructs and compassion for minorities and it gets embroiled in situations where I and others deem the actions and requests to not actually be helping the cause. No one can rewrite biology, one has to work within the constraints that are factual and focus more on education and compassion as humanity is complex and varying. We can respect what is true whilst still understanding not everyone fits into neat constructs from the truth. Whether it's medical conditions/diagnosis or social constructs. People involved in such situations are owed the truth as well. As in what is there to gain murkying the waters around sex? Isn't it better if cases of gender dysphoria get diagnosed correctly and swiftly rather than a society which is tying itself in knots to acknowledge sex?

Sorry if our Humanity and request for equal rights is inconveniencing you

The child can change their gender later in life. Starting out genderless lets them start life with a clean slate and no gender thrust upon them, contrary to any comments saying this is forced on the child.

There's something amusing about how genderless dystopia is something we used to say to make fun of the right with gay people, and now people on the left are having the same panic about gender.

Top Bottom