• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Switch OLED spotted in the wild

Marty-McFly

Banned

switch-oled.original.jpg

giphy.gif

Now that the intended disappointment of the fake leaks made up by Schreier have come and gone, I'm looking at this beauty with its vivid 7 inch OLED display, tiny bezels, superior audio, and double the memory with a new sense of desire.

58by.gif

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's the fastest selling console ever after over 4 years on the market. I mean, I see your point but they're not running a charity here.

Consumer goodwill and momentum can matter. They may get away with it now, but if a real competitor is launched it won't be so easy.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
its the same portable console with bigger screens and additional LAN port >_> <_<

spons

Gold Member
Bad enough Nintendo barely made an update, this should have been $299 and the new de-facto switch, while the old stock was moved out at $249.
FiiO, a company that makes portable digital audio players, once stated in a blog post that it's nearly impossible to find high-end components, including OLED panels and chipsets. So I do absolutely believe Nintendo has priced the OLED Switch the best they can. Same reason why the Steam Deck isn't fitted with an OLED panel. Unless you can afford multi-year, billion dollar contracts (i.e. the smartphone industry), you're shit out of luck, even if your name is Nintendo.

THE DUCK

FiiO, a company that makes portable digital audio players, once stated in a blog post that it's nearly impossible to find high-end components, including OLED panels and chipsets. So I do absolutely believe Nintendo has priced the OLED Switch the best they can. Same reason why the Steam Deck isn't fitted with an OLED panel. Unless you can afford multi-year, billion dollar contracts (i.e. the smartphone industry), you're shit out of luck, even if your name is Nintendo.

Didn't somebody say it only cost them $10 or $15 more per unit?
And watch them drop it to that once the regular switch sells thru.......

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It certainly seems like the better way to play portable, but I also imagine all those low 540p or below resolutions will stand out even more. Thankfully I mostly play docked so I didn't get jelly over the new screen regardless.

Nah, OLED improves everything. I got my first OLED TV while I was halfway through BotW and the difference was staggering - yeah, the docked resolution is higher, but it's still low when you've been playing other stuff at 4K.

spons

Gold Member
I don't necessarily believe that. These are expensive multi-year contracts. You can't just walk in, ask for 2 million OLED panels and away you go.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Jason Schreier, the same tabloid guy who leaked the OLED but told everyone it was 4K to conjure a sense of dissapointment.

Then after that lie got exposed, the guy goes on to claim it only cost them $10 more.

That's when Nintendo stepped in and shut him down.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It doesn't make sense to release a gaming device with a 1080p screen given battery constraints.

SteamDeck is 720p as well with an inferior LCD screen.
Do we know what kind of display it is? Could be Pentile OLED for what we know, also OLED Vita wasn't exactly highest quality screen.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Do we know what kind of display it is? Could be Pentile OLED for what we know, also OLED Vita wasn't exactly highest quality screen.
This is the info given on the Steam Deck spec sheet

Display7-inch LCD touchscreen

Resolution
1280 x 8
Refresh rate60Hz

THE DUCK

Jason Schreier, the same tabloid guy who leaked the OLED but told everyone it was said 4K to conjure a sense of dissapointment.

Then after that lie got exposed, the guy goes on to claim and it only cost them $10 more.

That's when Nintendo stepped in and shut him down.

They hardly shut him down, they very conveniently don't reveal the actual cost - $10.01. Or $10.02.
If you were being made to look greedy, you'd throw out this smokescreen too.

Marty-McFly

Banned
They hardly shut him down, they very conveniently don't reveal the actual cost - $10.01. Or $10.02.
If you were being made to look greedy, you'd throw out this smokescreen too.
I trust Nintendo over the guy who lied about Switch 4K like a week before.

Star-Lord

Nintendo surely knows how to scam its consumers lmao
Pray tell, how exactly are Nintendo scamming people?

Do you realise how stupid it would be to release a Switch 4K? The impact on the battery would render the entire thing useless. Again, people are complaining about the Switch OLED screen, yet SteamDeck only outputs at 720p and uses a vastly inferior LCD. Even at 720p, Switch’s OLED will make a hell of a difference.

Marty-McFly

Banned
So that's a no, we don't know which technology OLED is using. Here is the what I mean:
AMOLEDs.jpg

Subpixel arrangement is very important. These display may have had same res, but the result is very different
I guess we'll see.

Hands on with the screen were blown away by it but I don't remember reading anything specific. The info may already be out there. Looking forward to DF's analysis.

THE DUCK

You mean the article that said a 4k dock was included? Nintendo probably scrapped that last minute to save $30 a unit. And interesting Nintendo failed to respond when bloomburg reached out for comment but only decided to comment later on when the internet was buzzing about the $10.

Marty-McFly

Banned
But not with a shit hardware.
The Switch hardware was not nearly shit at the time of its production considering it uses a mobile chip.

It would be more fair to compare hardware if they infact released a successor at the time of the SteamDeck, which is also much pricier if you're not buying the gimped model.

Elios83

Should have been just a replacement of the old model and not a separate one. OLED isn't even a superior alternative in every way because of burn in risk with static interfaces.
It's a cash grab, unless you're a die hard Nintendo fan people will stick the LCD model.

Marty-McFly

Banned
You mean the article that said a 4k dock was included? Nintendo probably scrapped that last minute to save $30 a unit. And interesting Nintendo failed to respond when bloomburg reached out for comment but only decided to comment later on when the internet was buzzing about the $10.
Yeah, I'm sure they "scrapped it last minute":messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nintendo commented on both at the same time considering both rumors were started by the same guy within a week. There is no pro model and the $10 thing was bullshit. A bigger OLED screen, better audio, double the memory and better kickstand for $10? Sure Jason. That's more of a troll than a rumor.

All this info coming from a tabloid journalist with a spotty track record. Believe what you want though.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Pretty sure they announced this.
Link? Description of how the audio improved?

This new model has some nice things going for it, but given the age and popularity of the Switch I think it is a model designed to raise profit margins (sure OLED screen, remains to be seen the quality of the screen, and a bit more flash memory [not really comparable to the XSX flash even], better kickstand, and a few changes in the dock… are more than offset by the rise in price and depreciation of other components like the SoC).

Still, the fact the OG Switch should hold its value, the current LCD screen is good but could be improved and OLED screens Color’s and contrast look lovely generally, and for people like myself the cheap and badly designed OG kickstand meant I stopped using tabletop mode… well it is why I ordered it (planning to sell the old one).

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Link? Description of how the audio improved?

This new model has some nice things going for it, but given the age and popularity of the Switch I think it is a model designed to raise profit margins (sure OLED screen, remains to be seen the quality of the screen, and a bit more flash memory [not really comparable to the XSX flash even], better kickstand, and a few changes in the dock… are more than offset by the rise in price and depreciation of other components like the SoC).

Still, the fact the OG Switch should hold its value, the current LCD screen is good but could be improved and OLED screens Color’s and contrast look lovely generally, and for people like myself the cheap and badly designed OG kickstand meant I stopped using tabletop mode… well it is why I ordered it (planning to sell the old one).

I don't think they're making much extra profit off this thing in terms of the hardware. That's not the point. It's more of a market test. The Switch Lite proved that a $100 cheaper model of the Switch was not nearly as purchased as the OG Switch. I think Nintendo is going the other way with OLED and testing the waters with a premium model without having to change any of the core specifications of the machine and segregating development. It's a simple solution to offer a premium model.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It does not say what is better about it and this article seems poorly proofread too.

I don't think they're making much extra profit off this thing in terms of the hardware. That's not the point. It's more of a market test. The Switch Lite proved that a $100 cheaper model of the Switch was not nearly as purchased as the OG Switch. I think Nintendo is going the other way with OLED and testing the waters with a premium model without having to change any of the core specifications of the machine and segregating development. It's a simple solution to offer a premium model.
We are saying the same thing, trying a higher price point is a way to raise profit margins in these kind of things considering Nintendo. It is easier to overprice a premium item than a item people do not value as premium.

i really like that. will be getting one to play BOTW2 when it comes out.

Should have been just a replacement of the old model and not a separate one. OLED isn't even a superior alternative in every way because of burn in risk with static interfaces.
It's a cash grab, unless you're a die hard Nintendo fan people will stick the LCD model.
burn in isn't really much of an issue anymore. yeah it can happen but OLED tech has improved a lot. think how many smartphones there are that use OLED. if burn in was such an issue you'd have millions of people complaining about it. plus, Switch won't get as bright as most phones so that dramatically reduces the chances of burn in even further.

brightness is one thing that significantly increased chances of burn in. the current switch only runs at ~300nits at max brightness. the OLED i reckon would but about 400nits. smartphones are about 800-1000nits.

for burn in to start appearing, in worst case scenario (i/e trying hard to make it happen), it takes about 700 hours. when playing games at typical brightness if you start to see any burn in it could be after ~2000 hours but that's purely dependant on the game (if it has lots of bold static elements and/or uses a lot of RED). some games you could go ~9000 hours without seeing any kind of burn in. to put that into perspective:

• if you go out your way to try make burn in appear you could play through BOTW about 7 times before you see any burn in
  • if you have automatic brightness on and play Persona 5 (which has a lot of bold static elements and red UI) you would need to play it 20 times before you see any burn in
  • if you play a game like The Witcher 3 (with no bold/bright UI) you could play through it 88 times before you start to see any burn in.
OLEDs have various tech/methods to prevent burn in such as
  • pixel shifting - moves the screen ever so slightly to even out wear
  • ABL - lowers brightness on moving images
  • ASBL - lowers brightness on static images
  • pixel refreshing - changes voltages of individual pixels to match brightness/color of pixels near it
  • logo luminance - detects static elements and lowers the brightness of them while keeping the rest of the screen at a different brightness

Last edited:
Top Bottom