• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Switch OLED spotted in the wild

MagnesG

Banned
OTYMzk5.jpg

Welcome to 2012.
Welcome to Vita hardware indeed.

9LruZ.png

8573465365_d619fbf6be_z.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Elios83

i really like that. will be getting one to play BOTW2 when it comes out.

burn in isn't really much of an issue anymore. yeah it can happen but OLED tech has improved a lot. think how many smartphones there are that use OLED. if burn in was such an issue you'd have millions of people complaining about it. plus, Switch won't get as bright as most phones so that dramatically reduces the chances of burn in even further.

brightness is one thing that significantly increased chances of burn in. the current switch only runs at ~300nits at max brightness. the OLED i reckon would but about 400nits. smartphones are about 800-1000nits.

for burn in to start appearing, in worst case scenario (i/e trying hard to make it happen), it takes about 700 hours. when playing games at typical brightness if you start to see any burn in it could be after ~2000 hours but that's purely dependant on the game (if it has lots of bold static elements and/or uses a lot of RED). some games you could go ~9000 hours without seeing any kind of burn in. to put that into perspective:

• if you go out your way to try make burn in appear you could play through BOTW about 7 times before you see any burn in
  • if you have automatic brightness on and play Persona 5 (which has a lot of bold static elements and red UI) you would need to play it 20 times before you see any burn in
  • if you play a game like The Witcher 3 (with no bold/bright UI) you could play through it 88 times before you start to see any burn in.
OLEDs have various tech/methods to prevent burn in such as
  • pixel shifting - moves the screen ever so slightly to even out wear
  • ABL - lowers brightness on moving images
  • ASBL - lowers brightness on static images
  • pixel refreshing - changes voltages of individual pixels to match brightness/color of pixels near it
  • logo luminance - detects static elements and lowers the brightness of them while keeping the rest of the screen at a different brightness

Burn-in is absolutely a thing especially for products meant to display tons of static contents.
I personally got two high end smartphones (Samsung S9+ and Huawei P9) that both manifested serious burn in after less than 2 years.
PSVita also had a OLED screen, in that case I didn't get burn in but after 3 years the peak brightness was considerably lower compared to how it looked out of the box.
Maybe things have improved, I don't know if many of the technologies you mentioned are reserved/implemented into high end TVs or if they will be available even on the cheap low res Nintendo screen.
Not to mention that the low brightness that you describe as some kind of solution to burn in isn't exactly a positively thing.
Tbh I feel that this new model is just a total ripoff.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
Didn't somebody say it only cost them $10 or $15 more per unit?
And watch them drop it to that once the regular switch sells thru.......
Adding $10 to the components list doesn't equal to $10 added to the retail price...

Depending on the industry, $10-15 manufacturing cost can end up as a +$50 retail price.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Adding $10 to the components list doesn't equal to $10 added to the retail price...

Depending on the industry, $10-15 manufacturing cost can end up as a +$50 retail price.

Of course this is true for most devices that aren't already selling 2015 techbology at an over inflated price, nice try.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
Of course this is true for most devices that aren't already selling 2015 techbology at an over inflated price, nice try.
Nice try for what? You said yourself you heard that the OLED cost $10 to 15 more per unit, then $50 more to the retail price is still a valid answer from me. I'm just talking about manufacturing economics. I've stopped playing on Switch once I was done with BotW

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nice try for what? You said yourself you heard that the OLED cost $10 to 15 more per unit, then $50 more to the retail price is still a valid answer from me. I'm just talking about manufacturing economics. I've stopped playing on Switch once I was done with BotW

The issue here being something akin to Apple bringing out a new iPhone with a new screen and 6 year old cpu/gpu and no ram, the price should be going down, not up, regardless of a couple of new parts with nominal cost increase. For most companies the manufacturing economics include age of the machine and the decreased costs over volume and time.

Top Bottom