• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was seriously demotivating. But yep yep, on the way to awesome town. Ordered my bench!

http://www.sportchalet.com/marcy-utility-bench/15789000011.html

97 bucks picked up at sports chalet using the coupon code active20, has a max capacity of 610lbs which i'll never get to in my lifetime, so should be fine. Thats the very first home gym item purchased!

First of many things. Just make sure you have some spare bolts if you buy a rack. :(

Bench looks good. I don't really bother with the leg developer part on mine as I realised on the last one I had that I never actually used it.

Edit - Oh, and still no response from Rogue. Wankers.

Anybody feel free to correct me on this one!
I think we want our feet flat on the ground during a squat so that the center of gravity is one line that goes directly through the center of our feet. If we lift our heels off the ground (without lifting shoes) then I guess it's risky because that center of gravity is now on the balls of our feet or our toes and probably not so stable. I guess that's no good. If we have lifting shoes with a bit of a raised heel those shoes are built to be stable and secure. Our feet are still in contact with a "floor". Like Cooter said, it's like putting your feet in cement, and the center of gravity is still able to safely go straight through the mid foot. That plus with the raised heel now we have a bit more range of motion with the ankle.

Good questions. I'm also wondering if lifting shoes are bad if I'm taking a wider stance for squats. I feel like it's more comfortable to me if my feet are slightly wider than shoulder width. I don't fall as easily, and I can get lower.

Lifting shoes were made for weightlifting. (i.e. the snatch/clean) The lifts start with a deadlifting motion, followed by a squatting motion, followed by a pressing motion.

But most people prefer to squat with a significantly wider stance than they use for deadlifting. And also most people don't have the flexibility to squat low using their deadlifting stance. Heeled shoes correct this as they increase your range of motion.

But if your not specifically looking to get into weightlifting, then the shoes aren't necessary.

Szu

I know that feeling :(

Why add bread when I can just add more meat instead.

0Bh4b0L.jpg

Well, this answers the Where's the beef question.

MTP has it all.

So I finally got hold of someone at Rogue (EU)... and they're going to read the email(s) I've sent and get back to me.

lol. I don't even know what to say at this point.

Best part is, I ordered some nuts in the hope that I could find some that would fit... paid extra delivery to get them today. No nuts in delivery today.

I've really pissed off the lifting gods I think, because I just can't catch a break.

So I finally got hold of someone at Rogue (EU)... and they're going to read the email(s) I've sent and get back to me.

lol. I don't even know what to say at this point.

Best part is, I ordered some nuts in the hope that I could find some that would fit... paid extra delivery to get them today. No nuts in delivery today.

I've really pissed off the lifting gods I think, because I just can't catch a break.

It's a sign.

3phemeral

OK so because everyone in here is awesome and everyone in here helps everyone out all the time and are just all around great peeps - I'd like to thank everyone for what they do for everyone and what this place has done for me.

The only way I know how is to put FitGAF in my game.
I'll be PMing you guys in the coming months when it comes time to work on that section of the game and you can yea or nay to having yourself featured in-game, give the nod to your character and animation as well as your name (how you like it) in the credits.

I'll also be giving you guys PSN and PC codes at launch.

Least I can do for you all being who you all are.

For a second there I thought I stumbled into Indie Dev GAF. Looks good!

So apparently I have a new crossmember, new bolts, and new nuts coming to me.

They wont get here until Monday apparently, but I'm at a cycling event this weekend so I guess that's not the end of the world.

Nothing is ever simple.

BumRush

So apparently I have a new crossmember, new bolts, and new nuts coming to me.

They wont get here until Monday apparently, but I'm at a cycling event this weekend so I guess that's not the end of the world.

Nothing is ever simple.

That's the least they could do.

What cycling event? Isn't your leg fucked?

Yeah, my leg is fucked, but cycling has mostly been OK. I just need to hope there's nothing too technical or I'm going to be walking some sections.

Should be fairly tame though, if a bit hilly.

Unrelated:

Autophagy was first described in 1962 when researchers noted an increase in the number of lysosomes (the part of the cell that destroys stuff) in rat liver cells after infusing glucagon. The Nobel prize winning scientist Christian de Duve coined the term autophagy. Damaged sub cellular parts and unused proteins become marked for destruction and then sent to the lysosomes to finish the job.

One of the key regulators of autophagy is the kinase called mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR). When mTOR is activated, it suppresses autophagy, and when dormant, it promotes it.

Nutrient deprivation is the key activator of autophagy. Remember that glucagon is kind of the opposite hormone to insulin. It’s like the game we played as kids – ‘opposite day’. If insulin goes up, glucagon goes down. If insulin goes down, glucagon goes up. As we eat insulin goes up and glucagon goes down. When we don’t eat (fast) insulin goes down and glucagon goes up. This increase in glucagon stimulates the process of autophagy. In fact, fasting (raises glucagon) provides the greatest known boost to autophagy.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/

I had no idea fasting had an effect on that. Very interesting.

BumRush

Sean, just how bad was my form today in that IG post? I had a really tight back and legs from squats and cycling. I could tell it was a bit off...

Edit: added link

Sorry for the delay, I was out for a run.

You're upper back is moving before everything else, resulting in your arms having to take too much of the weight. You want to keep everything as one piece if that makes sense.

mdsfx

Sorry for the delay, I was out for a run.

You're upper back is moving before everything else, resulting in your arms having to take too much of the weight. You want to keep everything as one piece if that makes sense.
Yep. I could feel it too. I was playing it too cautious today because of being sore and tight. It really impacted my form.

ILoveBish

Down another 1.2lbs. 1lb away from where I was last Friday. Really want to be strict all weekend but Korean BBQ on Friday will get me. Damn you double date.

First of many things. Just make sure you have some spare bolts if you buy a rack. :(

Bench looks good. I don't really bother with the leg developer part on mine as I realised on the last one I had that I never actually used it.

Edit - Oh, and still no response from Rogue. Wankers.

Here in MERIKA we have places like ace hardware with a billion types, styles and sizes of bolts and nuts.

Nice! Next stop, rack?

Next stop possibly barbell. Then weights. Still deciding on a cage.

Here in MERIKA we have places like ace hardware with a billion types, styles and sizes of bolts and nuts.

Probably wouldn't help you if you were using bolt types that were only available in China or something... which is basically the issue I ran into.

Bloody yanks and their medieval use of the Imperial system. :p

JCX

My back feels completely normal, so I'm gonna try deadlifting again today and hopefully record my form to make sure I don't break my spinal cord (again)

Faiz

Probably wouldn't help you if you were using bolt types that were only available in China or something... which is basically the issue I ran into.

Bloody yanks and their medieval use of the Imperial system. :p

You won't find any argument from me there... Imperial system is dumb. I'd say "damn Brits for cursing the world with it" but at least you were smart enough to leave it behind!

Just nearly pushed myself to the point of throwing up all over myself on the bike. Don't ever try to do a fitness test when you're not feeling 100%. :(

Honestly, I have no idea why miles, gallons, feet, pounds, etc are even things...

We have stones too! At least you don't weigh things in terms of rocks. :D

BumRush

I take them away with me all the time now.

Also, a tub full of white powder in small plastic bags... and it's really going to bite me in the ass one of these days. :D

Lol. But yeah, the tubes give you a surprisingly decent workout for such a small piece of equipment. The one I brought on this trip is "50 lbs" which is light, but can get the job done.

Just hit the 60 day mark:

Starting weight: 255
Month 1: 229
Month 2: 219
I think I was hoping to lose more this month but that's really the best you can expect. I'm only 9 pounds from my original 6 month goal and I'm going to try hard to hit 210 by the end of this 30 days. After that, I guess I'll need to set some new goals! Satellite imagery is reporting possible abs but I'm going to need a recon team to confirm that.

I was really hoping for maybe another 5 gone just so I could just go get some golden tofu and dumplings and feel good about it. Oh well, I get my giant food bender eventually.

Weight loss will always slow down over time, but all the same, that's great progress. Nice one.

Thanks. I had to curb my expectation because I knew it would slow down. honestly, if I cut out my weekend drinking it would be down even more but I found spot where I'm not Bored of what I'm eating and I can still go party a bit and get results.

I'm on DDP Yoga and I am very impressed with it. Weight lose, muscle tone and just how I feel (stress and especially sleep) has been great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought that was well known. It's "sold" by some as part of keto-diet too.

Similar, eating sugar specifically decreases the activity of the immune system for roughly 12 hours, only bouncing back in full after 16-20 hours.

I've never been able to fully go keto though.

Definitely a possible explanation for why I have caught a cold only twice in over 5 years (both times during periods when I was experimenting with carb back loading) since going primarily low/no-carb compared to my life before that where I would get sick pretty frequently as far back as I can remember.

Separate from full blown colds, I would also frequently have sinus, sore throat and head ache issues, but all of that disappeared.

Looking back on those days, I really wonder how I even functioned.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Have any of you guys developed moobs? It's really strange cause I don't think I have, and ever since August my weight has fluctuated up and down but mostly down so I'm at 148 lbs. (from a high of 165 lbs.). So it's kinda strange that when I'm walking down the stairs, apparently I've started to...um, bounce, so to speak. And it kinda hurts. But it's doubly weird cause I'm only recently noticing this. I don't think I ever had this problem any time last year, which is really strange.

GrizzNKev

Banned
What bench press 3x5 weight would you guys consider to no longer be in the beginner range? It's hard to get a sense of how strong I actually am, or where I should be to feel I have accomplished something. Let's say the body weight range is 180-190.

goober

OHP is so hard for me. bah

Also, what are your thoughts on BCAAs or amino acid supplements? Worth it? I don't normally take preworkouts or intraworkouts, but I always feel so exhausted in the middle of my workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom