• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For your personal tastes, do you feel Bethesda or Activision was the better pickup for MS?

Better pickup for MS

• Bethesda (Starfield, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout ect.)

Votes: 145 73.2%
  • Activision (Cod, WoW, Diablo ect.)

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 10.6%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I couldn't care less about Activision or their crap games.

I feel like some games of value were actually lost with Bethesda, but not too many.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Bethesda cause I like long drawn out single player experiences - but I enjoy games from both and plan on jumping into whatever both are offering..

Regardless of what direction MS takes with Activision I just hope for some good single player experiences, the older I get the more I focus on SP.
Maybe if they bring back a new Hexen I'll be interested.

Kagey K

Banned
I prefer most Bethesda games but there are some Activision ips I still enjoy (and hope they can get new iterations) , they are both going to bring plenty of diversity to the Xbox lineup.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tough call as I play COD, Diablo, ES and Fallout. I dont play COD much anymore, but still dabble with it every year. I love Bethesda RPGs, but they take forever to come out and I'm burnt out of ES and Fallout.

If I had to choose, I'd probably take Bethesda strictly based on Starfield as that's the key game on the immediate horizon.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve never been interested in Bethesda’s games outside of Arcane’s titles. Although MachineGames are pretty great as well.

ActivisionBlizzard is probably a bigger get for me. Mainly due to Spyro, Crash, Overwatch, StarCraft and Diablo.

Trimesh

Banned
For me, it has to be Bethesda - I just looked at my pile of games and the only non-ancient Activision title I have is COD: MW on the PS4. Which on closer inspection is still sealed.

MaulerX

Personally Bethesda. They have the games that I love and prefer to play.

The Activision deal will have a bigger impact though.

bender

What time is it?
Weirdly Activision. Morrowind was the last Bethesda game I loved. THPS1+2 HD was great and I still need to see what is to come of Diablo and Overwatch.

MadPanda

Banned
I like Call of Duty a lot but I wouldn't change it for multiple amazing games, so Activision is out. On the other hand, if we look it through Blizzard vs Bethesda it's a much tougher fight and one I'm not sure who'd win. Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft are one of my favorite franchises ever. I even liked WOW, HOTS and Overwatch a lot. That's why I'd be inclined to choose Blizzard but they so rarely make those games or any games whatsoever that I'm not sure.

I would have never in a million years expected Activision, but it has tremendous upside, more than people realize.

Bethesda and Xbox were literally made for each other. That felt perfect from the jump, and will become as big a juggernaut as the Activision pickup in the long run I feel. What makes Activision most exciting is a revitalized Blizzard, and what a monster they have the potential to be. A revitalized World of Warcraft is a second Game Pass in terms of a massive revenue driver. That survival game seems really interesting, can't wait to see what it's about.

COD goes without saying even though I haven't played it since modern warfare 2 in 2009, but what excites me most is the size and talent level of all those damn studios. They're super talented. I can just imagine what they will do with more creative freedom.

But I think there's major, major potential for a AAA open world single player ninja turtles game Action RPG. Could be Microsoft's Batman. The potential there is truly massive if done right. I'm talking underground sewer hideout, train station hideout, the turtle van, stealth mechanics, scaling buildings in realistic ways, being able to climb ladders, the ability to swap between the turtles mid gameplay, some co-op perhaps. Would be nuts.

The Ninja Turtles IP is huuuge imo with a big budget focus. Call of Duty is just a money machine, and despite what I think about what the series has become, they got some incredible tech, tech I want to see shared with and across all of Xbox internal studios and vice versa. They've got quite a massive operation over there. And imo Microsoft and Bethesda should check if one of those studios is interested in getting started on the groundwork for Fallout 5, this way when Bethesda moves on from Starfield and is working on Elder Scrolls 6, there's a team already doing work for Fallout 5 with creative oversight from Bethesda. Once they're done with Elder Scrolls 6, they Bethesda can now dedicate themselves to full creative/design oversight and possibly have a shorter 3-4 year window for a Fallout 5.

Either way, the potential here is just through the roof. Anyone who doesn't see it is insane. Xbox went from lacking enough studios to having the most impressive collection of studios in the entire industry in my opinion.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Bethesda easily was the better deal. They have their ups and downs but in my opinion last generation I actually believe they did a great job

People love just talking about Fallout 76 making it sound like that was the whole generation and then proceed to ignore great titles like Evil Within 2 Doom and doom Eternal and then ignore all the records Fallout 4 broke. I'd rather they fail with Fallout 76 and try something new then if they just kept doing the same thing over and over again because at the very least we have an answer to if a Fallout MMO could work.

So with them doing Starfield a brand new property I believe they are the better deal.

Activision on the other hand I have no clue what the fuck has been going on at that publisher last generation I'm sure they made lots of money from Call of Duty and I would never debate that simply for my taste they didn't really try a lot of new things they barely put out any new intellectual properties and the majority of their support seems to just be behind Call of Duty to the point of making more teams to just do more Call of Duty, the split from Bungie didn't help, making Diablo into some fucking mobile game didn't help either.

Looking closely I just don't know if any of this is really worth 70 billion

If anything it starts to show just how great of a bargain they got with zenimax.

So I'll buy a game if it looks interesting by any publisher I don't hold any grudges or anything like that, but the last generation I believe the only games I even purchased from Activision was Sekrio Shadows die twice and years after release I bought that Call of Duty World War 2 game used.

Of all the games I purchased last generation this publisher easily has the least.

This is why I even praise publishers like Ubisoft, they try new things. Watchdogs, The Division, Fenyx etc they tried. Sure some flopped, but they moved on and try new series ever gen, they always get a chance to win you over. If I stopped playing COD the gen before, I don't see how a dozen other CODs will make me change my mind or something lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I didn't play any of the games from Bethesda or Activision (other than Sekiro) so for me neither I guess.

Edit: Oh right, from Bethesda side I only played Evil Within 1&2.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't give a shit about anything ActiBlizz makes, except Diablo I suppose. On the Bethesda side there's definitely more.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Bethesda now, but if they pull some of the Activision teams onto new projects who knows........

Holammer

I want to say Bethesda, but Activision draws more money. Deal also includes lots of good IPs Kotick was a poor steward for.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Both depend entirely on what MS do with them.

Assuming they actually make the most of the IPs, Actiblizz is the better pick-up.

BGS is my favorite game studio and I love Arkane games too, so I don't know if anything Activision does can top games by those studios, but purely by quantity of games I enjoy Activision has potential to be a more enjoyable studio. Diablo, Overwatch, Spyro, and Crash are all series I enjoy. I generally enjoy COD campaigns so I can go back to the ones I missed. And if they start reviving franchises I like, like Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, or Timeshift (not going to to happen but I did enjoy the gameplay lol) then I will be very happy. Also with the profits they'll make from the Activision, and the marketshare they'll gain from the exclusivity, it could result in more higher quality games across the board on Xbox, better 3rd party games going on Game Pass, and Sony timed exclusives becoming more expensive, so in turn getting less of them. And there's potential for the Activision studios to start making smaller side-project type games like Obsidian is doing with Grounded, so that's another potential win. Lastly their back catalog is enormous so once that starts getting added to Game Pass it will be nuts

So I guess my answer is, directly, it will probably be Bethesda because getting every BGS and Arkane game on Game Pass Day 1 is amazing, but the Activision deal has a higher ceiling, depending on which franchises they focus on, and how much of the back catalog they're able to get that's not stuck in licensing hell

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think bethesda could be better with sony since they are specialized in single player games and they usually lack polish, and what are usually the most polished game in the market? Sony games, especially open worlds (i mean except days gone)

Activision is more specialized in multyplayer stuff so Microsoft seems the better partner.

But i don't care enough for this stuff to really have a well thought opinion.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Bethesda. Don't get me wrong, I love me some CoD multiplayer (most years, anyway), but I've dumped more hours into Bethesda RPGs than I care to remember, and at around 1/10th the price for those IPs, that acquisition was a steal.

Activision may make them more money in the end, especially if they can turn Blizzard around, but just for what I'm interested in playing, Blizzard was a much better buy.

chixdiggit

Activision/Blizzard.
As a Gamepass subscriber I like the fact that I can just jump into COD, Overwatch, Diablo, etc without paying.
Where as the offerings from Bethesda are not as regular but more meaty. I would buy the game anyway without it being on Gamepass.

rolandss

Activision has one IP I like, CoD. Bethesda has two, elder scrolls and fallout. Starfield also looks promising. For me Bethesda seals the deal for my eventual series S purchase that’ll sit alongside my PS5. I like Bethesda RPGs and I’d like to give Starfield a shot when it releases later this year. PlayStation also has at least 2 CoD titles left.

reksveks

Activision/Blizzard.
As a Gamepass subscriber I like the fact that I can just jump into COD, Overwatch, Diablo, etc without paying.
Where as the offerings from Bethesda are not as regular but more meaty. I would buy the game anyway without it being on Gamepass.
didn't think about it that way, very true.

GrayFoxPL

I didn't play COD since 3.
Other online shooters don't interest me. I never played WOW, nor I want to.

So for me Bethesda 100x > Actvision.

Top Bottom