• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Will No Longer Disclose Future Consoles (PS6) With Activision If Buyout Deal Closes

Iced Arcade

denzel washington checkers GIF
*Jim Ryan patiently waits for FedEx delivery for Bungie's Xbox dev unit while playing The Show 25 courtesy of Gamepass*

ZehDon

Gold Member
What a stupid comment.

Please explain how PlayStation doing bad is good for gaming?

Go.

If ANY of the big 3 suddenly fail to compete, it is not good for gaming.

Call it a "shit take" all you want but you're just being dumb if you think that lol.
That's actually quite easy, because we have a real-world example of what happens when PlayStation fails to compete. It's called the PlayStation 3. Microsoft took full advantage of Sony's litany of absolute blunders in the first half of that generation, and shoved Sony up against the nearest wall by their fucking throat. And what happened when it all went bad for PlayStation? Sony turned its first party studios into an industry leading powerhouse and fought back tooth and nail, giving us the legendary "It only does everything" push. PlayStation doing bad directly caused the second coming of PlayStation because, heading into the next generation, Microsoft was riding high on their arrogance and Sony were hungry to compete. The entire industry figured Microsoft had next-gen in the bag before it even started. Despite their successes in the late-PS3 gen, Sony as a whole was seriously bleeding. Desperate, Sony stepped back into the ring with the PS4: a cheap, powerful piece of kit that absolutely delivered. Hit after hit, smart decision after smart decision, win after win. Things going bad for PlayStation forced PlayStation to do better, so, things going bad for PlayStation seems to be a good thing for PlayStation, oddly enough. Sony doesn't need protecting - they need competition, or they'll end up making another PlayStation 3.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Jim Ryan "no dev units for you"

Jim Ryan "see we are being mistreated because COD 29 modern ops ghost infinite total warfare isn't up to par at launch"

Pretty much, lol.

There's multiple first party studios on both sides who develop / release games for each other. This will just hamper development efforts for them.

Last edited:
Of course they won't. Should not surprise anyone. The future is only two platform holders, only way to play videogames is by subbing to their streaming services which will be expensive as hell, and there will not be any competition they'd just have an agreement on the prices. Good times ahead.

Katatonic

That's actually quite easy, because we have a real-world example of what happens when PlayStation fails to compete. It's called the PlayStation 3. Microsoft took full advantage of Sony's litany of absolute blunders in the first half of that generation, and shoved Sony up against the nearest wall by their fucking throat. And what happened when it all went bad for PlayStation? Sony turned its first party studios into an industry leading powerhouse and fought back tooth and nail, giving us the legendary "It only does everything" push. PlayStation doing bad directly caused the second coming of PlayStation because, heading into the next generation, Microsoft was riding high on their arrogance and Sony were hungry to compete. The entire industry figured Microsoft had next-gen in the bag before it even started. Despite their successes in the late-PS3 gen, Sony as a whole was seriously bleeding. Desperate, Sony stepped back into the ring with the PS4: a cheap, powerful piece of kit that absolutely delivered. Hit after hit, smart decision after smart decision, win after win. Things going bad for PlayStation forced PlayStation to do better, so, things going bad for PlayStation seems to be a good thing for PlayStation, oddly enough. Sony doesn't need protecting - they need competition, or they'll end up making another PlayStation 3.
So when XBOX has been in an even worse position than PS3 2 gens in a row, has it forced MS to become better? Cuz if not, then it's not a good representation of competition.

Corndog

Banned
Yes. Agreed. But using your trillionaire status to just buy out entire publishers is not healthy competition. The industry needs healthy competition. Not simply buying out entire publishers.

Of course. Any of the big 3 fail to compete and the industry is worse off for it. Point blank.
It boggles my mind how theres gamers in here trying to tell me that if Sony stopped competing, it would be good for gaming. Like what the fuck are you talking about?
I honestly think my tag needs to be shared with about 88 other people here.
I don’t know if the deal is good or bad but im not a fan of it. I think they missed out on buying crystal dynamics for peanuts because of it. They also have to limit their aggressiveness.

Edit: my last sentence is incorrect. I meant to say the deal has limited their aggressiveness.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
So when XBOX has been in an even worse position than PS3 2 gens in a row, has it forced MS to become better? Cuz if not, then it's not a good representation of competition.
Absolutely. Their failure to compete has directly caused them to:
  • Drop their Xbone DRM bullshit before launch.
  • Drop their focus on Kinect.
    • This directly caused a USD$100.00 price cut for Xbox Ones.
  • Drop their TV division and re-focus on games.
  • Jettison the executives responsible for the above bad decisions needing to be corrected.
  • Drop XBL Gold requirement for F2P titles and services like Netflix.
  • Start handing out Games With Gold
  • Differentiate their services by creating Game Pass
  • Differentiate their business by offering their games on PC day-and-date with consoles
  • Re-focus on high quality hardware starting with the creation of the Xbox One X
  • Invest more money into Xbox than ever before
Sony kicking their teeth in is why Xbox are tripping over themselves to give you games and get you into their eco-system. Competition is demonstrably a good thing for Xbox and for PlayStation.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

So this effectively guarantees one of two outcomes.
A: Sony gets delayed releases of AB games giving MS a huge sale advantage
or
B: Sony loses out on all activision \ blizzard games outright, losing on sales entirely.

Did Sony sign up for a 10 year agreement or no?
I haven't been keeping up with that bit.

Last edited:

Stooky

• Jettison the executives responsible for the above bad decisions needing to be corrected.
  • Differentiate their business by offering their games on PC day-and-date with consoles
  • Re-focus on high quality hardware starting with the creation of the Xbox One X
Sony kicking their teeth in is why Xbox are tripping over themselves to give you games and get you into their eco-system. Competition is demonstrably a good thing for Xbox and for PlayStation.
Xbox after being in 3rd place all these years is now buying the bar lol. If they developed their 1st like Sony and Nintendo I would agree with you. They are not competing they just opened their wallet and said fuck it compete with these racks! Deep pockets.

So this effectively guarantees one of two outcomes.
A: Sony gets delayed releases of AB games giving MS a huge sale advantage
or
B: Sony loses out on all activision \ blizzard games outright, losing on sales entirely.

Did Sony sign up for a 10 year agreement or no?
I haven't been keeping up with that bit.
There's no agreement.

As things stand, there's no Microsoft purchase either.

It's all a thought experiment :messenger_tears_of_joy:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This just in, minecraft 2 xbox exclusive.
This is a silly thing for Sony to say, it basically gives ms ammunition to move anything else they have away from multiplatform citing an inability to create competive ps6 versions.

This just in, minecraft 2 xbox exclusive.
This is a silly thing for Sony to say, it basically gives ms ammunition to move anything else they have away from multiplatform citing an inability to create competive ps6 versions.
Minecraft 2?

I'm sure it will be a powerhouse of graphics that won't run on a cellphone, better get those PS6 devkits just in case...

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What about minecraft, MLB devs, bungie?

I'm hoping Jim Ryan's pre recorded message for the court case is delivered one line at a time like his incredible showcase presentation.

Can't believe he's not showing up live...

Xbox after being in 3rd place all these years is now buying the bar lol. If they developed their 1st like Sony and Nintendo I would agree with you. They are not competing they just opened their wallet and said fuck it compete with these racks! Deep pockets.

A vast majority of those Sony studios were bought just like MS is buying studios. Someone will chime in claiming thatwasdifferent.gif but it's really not.

Anyway this seems like another big nothing burger. Why would Sony share intimate details about a console with a direct competitor? Wasn't the PS4 RAM a surprise to MS? Imagine if they'd given an Xbox studio information about it and it could have given MS time to adjust the Xbox One hardware. Nintendo and MS wouldn't share info like that either.

stickkidsam

The DRM bullshit is all but back in full force. They just didn't make a show of it this time.

Even with the Series X, the only games you can play offline are next gen exclusives. Whether or not you have the disc doesn't matter.

Xbox's expanded services are neat, but I can't say I've seen any improvement on their first party titles. They've just been buying up the market rather than focusing on ensuring their current first party titles are top quality. I mean look at Halo or Redfall.

Hudo

Where is Sony developing their first party exactly? From where I am sitting, their first-party is regressing on many fronts. They've closed a lot of studios since the PS3 era, let IPs that back then helped to diversify their line-up die (MotorStorm, WipEout, Sly Racoon, Resistance, Japan Studio stuff...), and let their remaining studios all work on cinematic third-person games or service-games. And now Sony is more reliant than ever on third-parties to fill the gaps.

X-Wing

I think this is logical but also quite hypocritical since they expect Microsoft to share details with them for games like Marathon and MLB.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I can't even give a shit about this. This is the Real Console War. One I have no investment into. I've invested into something far more lucrative. My Future.

Stooky

Where is Sony developing their first party exactly? From where I am sitting, their first-party is regressing on many fronts. They've closed a lot of studios since the PS3 era, let IPs that back then helped to diversify their line-up die (MotorStorm, WipEout, Sly Racoon, Resistance, Japan Studio stuff...), and let their remaining studios all work on cinematic third-person games or service-games. And now Sony is more reliant than ever on third-parties to fill the gaps.
Sony closed as studios many as you claim. The games regressing are your opinion. Majority of their titles score at 80 and up, im sure that something Microsoft would love to have or buy. Look at the numbers Sony has always relied on third party titles. timed exclusives, PS only content? Like I said MS cant compete so they are buying the bar.

Stooky

A vast majority of those Sony studios were bought just like MS is buying studios. Someone will chime in claiming thatwasdifferent.gif but it's really not.

Anyway this seems like another big nothing burger. Why would Sony share intimate details about a console with a direct competitor? Wasn't the PS4 RAM a surprise to MS? Imagine if they'd given an Xbox studio information about it and it could have given MS time to adjust the Xbox One hardware. Nintendo and MS wouldn't share info like that either.
Sony worked with those studios, maybe funded a few games, built working relationship then purchased. Nintendo does the same thing. You kinda know what to expect from a Sony 1st party game and you know what to expect from Nintendo 1st party. You only get that from working and building together with the studios.

Last edited:

The Shepard

It also stopped them doubling the price of gold

I think your missing the point......they can still use it as an excuse.
What makes you think Microsoft needs any excuse? It's their studio, their IP, if they want to release it on Playstation and Sony is cool with it they do. If they don't want to, no one's going to force them.
They already determined they aren't releasing Bethesda content and that's in their right.

K2D

Banned
MS being set to be 'the amazon of gaming' should be enough for people to fucking wake up..

But I'm personally more concerned about the democratization of the development ecosystem.

Frankly I'm expecting another crash and an amazon situation in the gaming industry.

Pallas

Gold Member
What a stupid comment.

Please explain how PlayStation doing bad is good for gaming?

Go.

If ANY of the big 3 suddenly fail to compete, it is not good for gaming.

Call it a "shit take" all you want but you're just being dumb if you think that lol.
The shit take is your opinion that PlayStation will fail if the acquisition is successful.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Big publishers and studios have these early alpha devkits mostly very early. If more of these big devs/pubs are getting acquired buy platform holders, it's kinda make sense not to share data with these types of parties early on.

I think this is logical but also quite hypocritical since they expect Microsoft to share details with them for games like Marathon and MLB.

Pretty hypocritical to say that you 'think" they expect that Microsoft to share these details early on.

Last edited:
It TRANSFORMS cyberpunk, mine craft and dying light 2. Bad take.
That's a no for cyberpunk, a who cares care for minecraft and never played DL2 so can't comment. Absolutely pointless for the vast majority of games I played with RT. Imagine on people with last gen or 2 gens ago cards. Woof...

hyperbertha

That's a no for cyberpunk, a who cares care for minecraft and never played DL2 so can't comment. Absolutely pointless for the vast majority of games I played with RT. Imagine on people with last gen or 2 gens ago cards. Woof...
I take it you haven't played cyberpunk overdrive, which is a far cry from the vanilla RT implementation. The technology takes time to mature. The 2080 wasn't powerful enough. We are only just reaching the point it's viable, but it needs to start somewhere.

Ozriel

M$FT
Logic falls apart when you consider they’re already in that situation with Mojang, Bungie and Sony San Diego.

T4keD0wN

If its bad for Sony its bad for gaming.

They are the most dominant and highest selling console manufacturer....

At the very least, it is not good for gaming. You cannot argue it being good
One could argue this:

Whats bad (not always the case, but one could say it is the case in this case) for the market leader is usually good for consumers and the industry (market leaders dont want competition).
Whats bad for sony is good for gaming. Monopoly (sony is 100% not a monopoly, merely the market leader so they are the closest) is always bad for industries, but since this will even out the gap between the market leader and competition its good for the industry. While more competition is good for industries, consollidation is usually the opposite, its a complex situation. It would be good for some stakeholders and bad for the others, but it sure as hell isnt just black or white.

If Microsoft were ever to become a market leader, whatever will be bad for them will be good for the industry and consumers.

What i mean to say by this that often things that are bad for companies are good for consumers since they are direct enemies. This applies especially when it comes to market leaders.

Last edited:
I take it you haven't played cyberpunk overdrive, which is a far cry from the vanilla RT implementation. The technology takes time to mature. The 2080 wasn't powerful enough. We are only just reaching the point it's viable, but it needs to start somewhere.
Played the normal cyberpunk, as recently as a few months back even. I played with both RT on and off. Don't misinterpret what I say though, it's not literally 0% difference, but it's absolutely negligible and not worth any framerate loss people might have with a bit weaker hardware.
I would prefer devs to put attention to good HDR implementation a billion times over spending any resources in RT.

Top Bottom